Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

Atheist Christian: - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Christian: (5268 Views)

Atheist,christian Conversion Testimonies (A2C, C2A). / For Atheist & Christian / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheist Christian: by KAG: 2:35am On Mar 30, 2006
A while back, I was asked what religion or philosophical position I identified with. Unfortunately, I couldn't for the life of me decide on an appropriate little box witha nice label, to describe my beliefs or non-beliefs. Well, it later occured to me that the perhaps oxymoronic term "atheist christian with pantheistic leanings" would probably make for a nice descriptor. What do you guys thinks, is that a logical and/or plausible descriptor?

to give you a little perspective, apart from the whole not believing in the existence of God, any God, I'm actually no different from the average christian. So, discuss?

edit: It really wasn't a freudian slip, pantheistic not deistic

1 Like

Re: Atheist Christian: by nferyn(m): 10:52am On Mar 30, 2006
I truly do not understand your position. Can you explain how you arrive at that label?
Re: Atheist Christian: by demmy(m): 2:40pm On Mar 30, 2006
"atheist christian with deistic leanings"

This is more than an oxymoron. Its conflicting and I don't think you can logically defend such description. If you're a deist, then you cannot be an atheist because atheists don't believe in the existence of any God, Christian or non. Whereas deists do. Also if you are an atheist you can not be a Christian because the latter believe in God. And if you are a deist you cannot be a Christian either because deistic God is not based on religion.

I think you are a deist. simple. You believe in some higher Being but not in the Christian or Muslim way.
Re: Atheist Christian: by alheri(f): 5:18pm On Mar 30, 2006
Mr. KAG, sorry to say,you really sound confused. You cant be atheist and christian at the same time. Maybe you need to go back and check the meanings of both words in your dictionary again.
Re: Atheist Christian: by KAG: 5:32pm On Mar 30, 2006
nferyn:

I truly do not understand your position. Can you explain how you arrive at that label?

It was just something I was mulling over. I acknowledge and know that I'm an atheist, however I do practically everything your average run of the mill christian would do. I go to church, I have a tend to partake in christian apologetics, read the Bible etc. It seems to me the atheist moniker on its own does not aspects of my life. It also seems to some extent, that people who use the atheist label are not supposed to partake in those activities. I don't know if that makes it a clearer.

By the way the label isn't definite yet, I was hoping discussion would either iron out the kinks in the label, or make me drop it altogether.
Re: Atheist Christian: by KAG: 5:35pm On Mar 30, 2006
demmy:

This is more than an oxymoron. Its conflicting and I don't think you can logically defend such description. If you're a deist, then you cannot be an atheist because atheists don't believe in the existence of any God, Christian or non. Whereas deists do. Also if you are an atheist you can not be a Christian because the latter believe in God. And if you are a deist you cannot be a Christian either because deistic God is not based on religion.

I think you are a deist. simple. You believe in some higher Being but not in the Christian or Muslim way.

Sorry that should have read pantheistic, not deistic. Typo.

To respond to your post, no I don't believe in the existence of an higher being
Re: Atheist Christian: by KAG: 5:38pm On Mar 30, 2006
alheri:

Mr. KAG, sorry to say,you really sound confused. You can't be atheist and christian at the same time. Maybe you need to go back and check the meanings of both words in your dictionary again.

Yes, I'm confused about what nice little descriptor I can use, but believe me I know the meaning of both terms.
Re: Atheist Christian: by alheri(f): 10:32am On Mar 31, 2006
Ok KAG, Hope you find the answers you need.
Re: Atheist Christian: by KAG: 11:46pm On Jun 26, 2007
alheri:

Ok KAG, Hope you find the answers you need.

I have wink
Re: Atheist Christian: by ricadelide(m): 1:00am On Jun 27, 2007
@Kag,
LOL, did you have a sex change? or you've been deceiving us all along?
or is it that the confusion of faith has become a confusion of gender? smiley
Re: Atheist Christian: by KAG: 1:39am On Jun 27, 2007
ricadelide:

@Kag,

No
Re: Atheist Christian: by Drusilla(f): 6:37am On Jun 27, 2007
KAG:

It was just something I was mulling over. I acknowledge and know that I'm an atheist, however I do practically everything your average run of the mill christian would do. I go to church, I have a tend to partake in christian apologetics, read the Bible etc. It seems to me the atheist moniker on its own does not aspects of my life. It also seems to some extent, that people who use the atheist label are not supposed to partake in those activities. I don't know if that makes it a clearer.

By the way the label isn't definite yet, I was hoping discussion would either iron out the kinks in the label, or make me drop it altogether.

Kag,

Bill Cosby once called himself:

"A scared athiest."

Smile.
Re: Atheist Christian: by Aproko(f): 11:11am On Jun 27, 2007
ricadelide:

@Kag,

i also thought KAG was female
Re: Atheist Christian: by lafile(m): 11:46am On Jun 27, 2007
KAG:

Mr KAG
There's a fundamental flaw in your thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to believe being a Christian is about the things you do. Go to church, read the bible, do good deeds etc. Wrong. Its not about what you do but about who you are. Christianity is not about doing but being. Even Mahatma Gandhi did all the stuff you claim to do but that never m,ade him a christian. To be called a christian any kind at all depends on what God has made you to [i]be [/i]in your spirit.
Re: Atheist Christian: by thesilent1(m): 11:50am On Jun 27, 2007
Christianity is not about doing but being

grin
Re: Atheist Christian: by Aproko(f): 3:57pm On Jun 28, 2007
KAG:

i think your label is definite "CONFUSED". strive for convinction in whatever you choose either as an atheist or a christain. if you are a little of both, then you are still confused or unsure.

remember he who sits on the fence stands the risk of being quashed from both sides.
Re: Atheist Christian: by nferyn(m): 4:49pm On Jun 28, 2007
Aproko:

remember he who sits on the fence stands the risk of being quashed from both sides.
The atheists don't quash
Re: Atheist Christian: by Aproko(f): 6:43pm On Jun 28, 2007
nferyn:

The atheists don't quash

just a figure of speech. didn't mean it literarily. but am sure you know that already wink wink
Re: Atheist Christian: by KAG: 7:25pm On Jun 28, 2007
Drusilla:

Kag,

Bill Cosby once called himself:

"A scared athiest."

Smile.

I can understand the sentiment: there's so much to scared of in life and death.

Aproko:

i also thought KAG was female

So did I.
Re: Atheist Christian: by KAG: 7:32pm On Jun 28, 2007
lafile:

Mr KAG
There's a fundamental flaw in your thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to believe being a Christian is about the things you do. Go to church, read the bible, do good deeds etc. Wrong. Its not about what you do but about who you are. Christianity is not about doing but being. Even Mahatma Gandhi did all the stuff you claim to do but that never m,ade him a christian. To be called a christian any kind at all depends on what God has made you to [i]be [/i]in your spirit.

I disagree in part. While, I agree Christianity isn't just about actions - even though I've heard it's "by their fruits you shall know them" - I disagree that it has anything to do with God making anything in the spirit - it's, in my opinion, linked with what beliefs you hold.

Aproko:

i think your label is definite "CONFUSED". strive for convinction in whatever you choose either as an atheist or a christain. if you are a little of both, then you are still confused or unsure.

Would you also say an agnostic Christian is confused? Unsure? Maybe, but I don't know if confused would be a right descriptor.

Which is why I only sit on fences with amicable people on both sides.
Re: Atheist Christian: by Aproko(f): 11:15am On Jun 29, 2007
okay KAG, maybe UNSURE is the right word.

but I still think CONFUSED is also appropriate, cos you go to church, perhaps you even enjoy sunday services or whatever day of the week they hold and then somehow you feel the pastor in front of you is not saying everything, something in his gospel just doesnt strike any chord in you, perhaps this is because there is no God anywhere. the bible seems contradictory, yet so many seem to have found peace and happiness in these words of the bible perhaps they are pretending or just plain lazy? so you are confused or perhaps unsure as to how something that doesnt seem to make any sense can make so much sense!!!! at least to some people

on the fence with amicable people on both sides?? hey in every 12, there must be a judas, so how amicable do you think the multitude of people on both sides can be? cheesy grin
Re: Atheist Christian: by lafile(m): 12:30pm On Jun 29, 2007
@KAG
Do you call an animal a Dog because it barks or does the animal bark because its a Dog?
Re: Atheist Christian: by lafile(m): 12:31pm On Jun 29, 2007
@KAG
Do you call an animal a Dog because it barks or does the animal bark because its a Dog?
Re: Atheist Christian: by nferyn(m): 3:27pm On Jun 29, 2007
lafile:

@KAG
You know that seals bark as well
Re: Atheist Christian: by ricadelide(m): 3:54pm On Jun 29, 2007
methinks his point was; the observed characteristic is a product of the nature of the object. Imitation does not bring about a change in nature.
True christianity is about a change in nature.
A seal's bark is different from a dog's bark.
when you hear a dog's bark, its either a real dog is barking or someone is imitating it; the problem (with christianity) usually lies in the latter.
Re: Atheist Christian: by nferyn(m): 7:48pm On Jun 29, 2007
ricadelide:

methinks his point was; the observed characteristic is a product of the nature of the object. Imitation does not bring about a change in nature.
Yuck, I hate essentialism with a vengeance tongue The bane of European philosophy angry

ricadelide:

when you hear a dog's bark, its either a real dog is barking or someone is imitating it; the problem (with christianity) usually lies in the latter.
It's a false dichotomy, the problem of the excluded middle. You can also call it the 'no true Scotsman' phalacy or framing bias, whatever floats your boat. Anyway, the analogy is flawed.
Re: Atheist Christian: by KAG: 3:59pm On Jul 01, 2007
Aproko:

okay KAG, maybe UNSURE is the right word.

but I still think CONFUSED is also appropriate, because you go to church, perhaps you even enjoy sunday services or whatever day of the week they hold and then somehow you feel the pastor in front of you is not saying everything, something in his gospel just doesnt strike any chord in you, perhaps this is because there is no God anywhere. the bible seems contradictory, yet so many seem to have found peace and happiness in these words of the bible perhaps they are pretending or just plain lazy? so you are confused or perhaps unsure as to how something that doesnt seem to make any sense can make so much sense!!!! at least to some people

I'm not sure I follow (now I'm confused). In any case, at the time I was trying to find a label that could wholly describe my stance and my activities - I din't think just describing myself as an atheist would be adequate.

on the fence with amicable people on both sides?? hey in every 12, there must be a judas, so how amicable do you think the multitude of people on both sides can be? cheesy grin

Amicable enough to prevent the Judas in the dozen from rearing his/her head.
Re: Atheist Christian: by KAG: 4:12pm On Jul 01, 2007
lafile:

@KAG

Neither. As Nferyn pointed out, barking does not a dog make, and some dogs do not bark.

ricadelide:

Actually, imitation can bring about a change in nature.

And strangely enough, my nature was changed: I became, so to speak, a new person. Would that count?

I disagree. The type of bark a dog makes can often depend on its breed and can vary wildly - with that in mind it would be wrong to think a seal's bark is necessarily different from the bark of dogs. Furthermore, seals aren't imitating the bark of dogs, they are making their own sounds which just happens to be similar to that of a dog and because dogs are the more familiar animals with barks to humans we make the comparism and labelling in respect to dogs.
Re: Atheist Christian: by ricadelide(m): 5:58pm On Jul 01, 2007
nferyn:

Yuck, I hate essentialism with a vengeance tongue The bane of European philosophy angry
I'm not an existentialist, neither do i subscribe to its teachings. i was only trying to re-state or paraphrase what someone earlier said.
It's a false dichotomy, the problem of the excluded middle. You can also call it the 'no true Scotsman' phalacy or framing bias, whatever floats your boat. Anyway, the analogy is flawed.
My statement about a seal's bark was only in response to what you said about seals also barking. it is not in relation with the next statement i made about dog's barking ie i wasn't saying a seal is trying to imitate a dog.

Coming to my statement, even though people make this kind of flaw in certain cases, i really don't think it applies here. there are many 'either/or' statements that can be validly made. i made two broad generalizations; i didnt go into specifics so i don't think the flaw you mentioned applies. If it does, then perhaps you could give other possible alternatives - i believe they'll fall under either bracket. Remember i said a dog's bark.
Re: Atheist Christian: by ricadelide(m): 6:09pm On Jul 01, 2007
KAG:

Actually, imitation can bring about a change in nature.
i disagree; at least in the case in reference.
KAG:

And strangely enough, my nature was changed: I became, so to speak, a new person. Would that count?
good for you, although i doubt it was the kind of change in nature i'm referring to.
I disagree. The type of bark a dog makes can often depend on its breed and can vary wildly - with that in mind it would be wrong to think a seal's bark is necessarily different from the bark of dogs. Furthermore, seals aren't imitating the bark of dogs, they are making their own sounds which just happens to be similar to that of a dog and because dogs are the more familiar animals with barks to humans we make the comparism and labelling in respect to dogs.
again, i made a statement in reference to what nferyn said; the two statements aren't linked. ie i'm not saying a seal is imitating a dog. Sorry for the confusion.
i still maintain however that a seal's bark is distinct and different from a dog's bark. like you said, one can assume we call the sounds they make barks just because we see it being similar to that of a dog, but i dont believe one would misplace one for the other.
the bark varies depending on the size, age, etc of the dog. But that doesn't negate what i said; that's why i qualified my statement by saying 'a dog's bark'. i'm trying to drive home a more important point.
Anyways, these are trivialities.
Re: Atheist Christian: by nferyn(m): 10:38pm On Jul 01, 2007
ricadelide:

Yuck, I hate [b]essentialism [/b]with a vengeance Tongue The bane of European philosophy Angry
I'm not an existentialist, neither do i subscribe to its teachings. i was only trying to re-state or paraphrase what someone earlier said.
I wasn't talking about existentialism, but rather about essentialism. As a biologist (and especially as one of the very rare creationist variety), you should know what I'm talking about.

ricadelide:

My statement about a seal's bark was only in response to what you said about seals also barking. it is not in relation with the next statement i made about dog's barking ie i wasn't saying a seal is trying to imitate a dog.
Are seals imitating dogs? Are seals of the same 'kind' as dogs (pun intended)? You're juxtaposing things that's shouldn't be It's not an either/or story.

ricadelide:

Coming to my statement, even though people make this kind of flaw in certain cases, i really don't think it applies here. there are many 'either/or' statements that can be validly made. i made two broad generalizations; i didnt go into specifics so i don't think the flaw you mentioned applies. If it does, then perhaps you could give other possible alternatives - i believe they'll fall under either bracket. Remember i said a dog's bark.

When you say
ricadelide:

you're using essentialist philosophical constructs to separate true from false christianity based on so called innate differences that separate the two. That's the kind of intellectual folly that regularly leads to authoritarianism and a dictatorial mindset. There is a very large grey zone in almost everything.
Re: Atheist Christian: by ricadelide(m): 1:47am On Jul 02, 2007
nferyn:

I wasn't talking about existentialism, but rather about essentialism. As a biologist (and especially as one of the very rare creationist variety), you should know what I'm talking about.
Oops, my bad! Sorry i misread you. Wonder why i did that.
you're using essentialist philosophical constructs to separate true from false christianity based on so called innate differences that separate the two. That's the kind of intellectual folly that regularly leads to authoritarianism and a dictatorial mindset. There is a very large grey zone in almost everything.
Didnt expect this stuff (ie the digression) to go this far but let me indulge. Let me disregard your statement stemming from a misunderstanding of or disagreement with my viewpoints as implying intellectual folly on my part. i've said before now that i didnt put my first response in the right order; ie by placing my third statement in between the second and the fourth. But let's revisit this whole thing.

the initial poster said this
i wouldnt have phrased it that way but this way;
'does the dog bark because it is a dog or is it a dog because it barks?'
in which case your response about seals also barking would be inconsequential; the greater point still being - does the seal's barking make it a seal or does it bark as a result of being a seal. And if you want to be fair to it, within the realm of normalcy, the type of sound produced by a seal is different from that produced by the dog; their vocal cords have different properties so by 'nature' they can't make the same type of sound. But again, that's beside the point i'm trying to make.

the real point i'm trying to address is 'what defines an object?'
I said;
the observed characteristic is a product of the nature of the object.
when i said 'imitation does not bring about a change of nature' what i was trying to address is that; the characteristic does not define the object. Is that essentialism? i sit on the fence as regards essentialism. First i don't agree with the definition of 'essence'. when i said 'nature' of the object, i meant it in terms of a capacity to produce a certain outcome, which, in the case of animals will be their anatomical/physiologic nature.  I don't necessarily mean that all objects of a particular nature will or must act in a certain way, and by my very point i don't agree that the characteristic is the means of definition. So i don't think it is essentialist.
My point is, the characteristic does not define the object, the object is defined in itself, irrespective of whatever characteristic stems from it. By the way the object is constructed, it has the capacity to act in certain ways, and is precluded from producing certain other traits.

So coming back to original post before the digression; the fact that KAG does all those things she did does (or did) not make her a christian. Although you think it is wrong; there is an intrinsic difference between a true christian and a 'false' christian. the term 'christian' is a broad appelation that doesn't take into cognizance the need for a change in nature that is essential to being a true christian, but rather relies on certain characteristics; going to church, saying your prayers etc as the means of definition. maybe i should use a different term; those traits didnt make her a disciple. However, I'd address KAG's issues in my next post.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Can I Be Closer To God,christians In The House Pls Advice / Having Sex In The Church Toilet / Despicable Act : Jesus Encourage Eating Human Flesh - Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.