Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,252 members, 7,807,856 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! (10984 Views)

What Did You Think 1 Corinthians 7:36 Says About Sex Before Marriage. Your View? / ''Wicked Village Wait For Me, I'm Coming'' (Photo) / If Jesus Is Equal With God Then How Do U Explain 1 Corinthians 15:28? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by Blofeld(m): 10:45pm On May 11, 2012
The passage in question is as follows: "But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry." (1 Corinthians 7:36).
I'm at a loss as to what St Paul was driving at here. All my mind is telling me is that this passage endorses premarital se'x. I need answers pls!
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by Callotti: 10:47pm On May 11, 2012
"But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin

This can only mean 'R-APE'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC375fH2HtI

I think those "Abia" ra-pists read this HOLY verse o! cheesy
It means 'r-ape' should be encouraged for ANY MGBEKE poohsie who chooses to make 'shakara' with 'Vagyinuty'!
Marriage should be enough to compensate her wretched arzzzzzze.
No crime committed!

What a wonderful God!

Mu che che che che che che che
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by tpia5: 10:57pm On May 11, 2012
Blofeld: The passage in question is as follows: "But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry." (1 Corinthians 7:36).
I'm at a loss as to what St Paul was driving at here. All my mind is telling me is that this passage endorses premarital se'x. I need answers pls!

i have issues with christians who always [emphasis on always] wait for others to explain things and never take any initiative to actually study the bible quietly with a goal to enriching themselves personally.

this isnt meant as a criticism of you, but is just an observation. If it doesnt apply to you, then ignore the comment.

@ topic

read the whole chapter and you'll get a better picture.

the verse is referring to men who are engaged to be married. If the engagemant period is getting too long and the man can no longer wait, then he should go ahead and marry his betrothed.

behaveth unseemly means if he's desiring to consumate the relationship and can no longer hold himself.
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by tpia5: 11:01pm On May 11, 2012
poster

virgin in the context you quoted, means unmarried woman.

check verse 34 of that chapter.
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by MrAnony1(m): 11:01pm On May 11, 2012
I want you to live as free of complications as possible. When you're unmarried, you're free to concentrate on simply pleasing the Master. Marriage involves you in all the nuts and bolts of domestic life and in wanting to please your spouse, leading to so many more demands on your attention. The time and energy that married people spend on caring for and nurturing each other, the unmarried can spend in becoming whole and holy instruments of God. I'm trying to be helpful and make it as easy as possible for you, not make things harder. All I want is for you to be able to develop a way of life in which you can spend plenty of time together with the Master without a lot of distractions.
If a man has a woman friend to whom he is loyal but never intended to marry, having decided to serve God as a "single," and then changes his mind, deciding he should marry her, he should go ahead and marry. It's no sin; it's not even a "step down" from celibacy, as some say. On the other hand, if a man is comfortable in his decision for a single life in service to God and it's entirely his own conviction and not imposed on him by others, he ought to stick with it. Marriage is spiritually and morally right and not inferior to singleness in any way, although as I indicated earlier, because of the times we live in, I do have pastoral reasons for encouraging singleness.

1 Corinthians 7: 32 - 38 (MSG)

I hope this translation helps you understand it better. The passage isn't permitting pre-marital sex. I have included the extra verses for context. God bless.
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by Blofeld(m): 11:16pm On May 11, 2012
tpia@:

i have issues with christians who always [emphasis on always] wait for others to explain things and never take any initiative to actually study the bible quietly with a goal to enriching themselves personally.

this isnt meant as a criticism of you, but is just an observation. If it doesnt apply to you, then ignore the comment.

@ topic

the verse is referring to men who are engaged to be married. If the engagemant period is getting too long and the man can no longer wait, then he should go ahead and marry his betrothed.

behaveth unseemly means if he's desiring to consumate the relationship and can no longer hold himself.
I've never observed that it is a crime to fail to understand or misunderstand stuff you read so the ISSUES you have with some Christians is left for you to thrash out alone. However your explanation makes sense to me and I'll be a hypocrite if I dont admit it. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by KamiLara: 11:18pm On May 11, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I want you to live as free of complications as possible. When you're unmarried, you're free to concentrate on simply pleasing the Master.
Marriage involves you in all the nuts and bolts of domestic life and in wanting to please your spouse,
leading to so many more demands on your attention. The time and energy that married people spend on caring for and nurturing each other, the unmarried can spend in becoming whole and holy instruments of God. I'm trying to be helpful and make it as easy as possible for you, not make things harder.
All I want is for you to be able to develop a way of life in which you can spend plenty of time together with the Master without a lot of distractions.
If a man has a woman friend to whom he is loyal but never intended to marry, having decided to serve God as a "single," and then changes his mind, deciding he should marry her, he should go ahead and marry. It's no sin; it's not even a "step down" from celibacy, as some say.
On the other hand, if a man is comfortable in his decision for a single life in service to God and it's entirely his own conviction and not imposed on him by others, he ought to stick with it. Marriage is spiritually and morally right and not inferior to singleness in any way, although as I indicated earlier, because of the times we live in, I do have pastoral reasons for encouraging singleness.

I hope this translation helps you understand it better. The passage isn't permitting pre-marital sex. I have included the extra verses for context. God bless.

@Mr_Anony

That was better than good

God bless you more real better
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by KamiLara: 11:22pm On May 11, 2012
Blofeld:
The passage in question is as follows:

"But if any man think that he behaveth himself uncomely toward his virgin, if she pass the flower of her age, and need so require, let him do what he will, he sinneth not: let them marry."
(1 Corinthians 7:36).

I'm at a loss as to what St Paul was driving at here. All my mind is telling me is that this passage endorses premarital sêx.

I need answers pls!

@Blofeld

Take heed of Tpia's advice

a text that is not read in context, is read under pretext

and you'll be shooting yourself in the foot and doing yourself no favors that way
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by MrAnony1(m): 11:22pm On May 11, 2012
Callotti:

This can only mean 'R-APE'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC375fH2HtI

I think those "Abia" ra-pists read this HOLY verse o! cheesy
It means 'r-ape' should be encouraged for ANY MGBEKE poohsie who chooses to make 'shakara' with 'Vagyinuty'!
Marriage should be enough to compensate her wretched arzzzzzze.
No crime committed!

What a wonderful God!

Mu che che che che che che che

okay seriously the word "uncomely" can only mean "rape" in your dictionary?
Did you forget to take your ritalin today? Anyway keep trolling sha. May God forgive you.
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by Blofeld(m): 11:26pm On May 11, 2012
Mr_Anony: I want you to live as free of complications as possible. When you're unmarried, you're free to concentrate on simply pleasing the Master. Marriage involves you in all the nuts and bolts of domestic life and in wanting to please your spouse, leading to so many more demands on your attention. The time and energy that married people spend on caring for and nurturing each other, the unmarried can spend in becoming whole and holy instruments of God. I'm trying to be helpful and make it as easy as possible for you, not make things harder. All I want is for you to be able to develop a way of life in which you can spend plenty of time together with the Master without a lot of distractions.
If a man has a woman friend to whom he is loyal but never intended to marry, having decided to serve God as a "single," and then changes his mind, deciding he should marry her, he should go ahead and marry. It's no sin; it's not even a "step down" from celibacy, as some say. On the other hand, if a man is comfortable in his decision for a single life in service to God and it's entirely his own conviction and not imposed on him by others, he ought to stick with it. Marriage is spiritually and morally right and not inferior to singleness in any way, although as I indicated earlier, because of the times we live in, I do have pastoral reasons for encouraging singleness.

Thanks a bunch!
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by Callotti: 11:37pm On May 11, 2012
Mr_Anony:

okay seriously the word "uncomely" can only mean "rape" in your dictionary?
Did you forget to take your ritalin today? Anyway keep trolling sha. May God forgive you.

Whisssssssssssh wan consain you with my post?
My interpretation madam!
You tink say I be "Rashidi Yekini"?
You should have told him that before he died of MANIC DEPRESSION like a 'low-down-dirry-dog' WITH ALL THE PRAYING TO THE EAST AND WEST 7X7X7 times daily!
He should be h-enjoying 72 re-cycled va-ghi-ns like your useless self by now. . .ANUS PHOCKING AND ALL! wink
Abi whia YOU been dey to prescribe "RAT POISON"? DR-CHIEF-MRS NL PSYCHO!!! cheesy
You keep 'stalking'. . . and I will keep 'TROLLING'!
UGLY, BLACKIE WOR-WOR MGBEKE CYBER HARLOT.
No go marry! Ewu!
Siddon for NL. Syphillis go soon quench you/make you ANOTHER FAMOUS NL ASHAWO cripple. . .before TEHN of NL contribute money send your useless corpse go die for UBTH or LUTH after phocking all the moderators and super moderators of the www!
Don't expect me to contribute one red cent on your dead body ma. Na only 'spit' I fit put for your grave. OLOSHI!kiss
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by MrAnony1(m): 11:43pm On May 11, 2012
Well well, are you having fun yet? please troll harder, you really need all the self esteem you can get
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by Callotti: 11:48pm On May 11, 2012
Mr_Anony: Well well, are you having fun yet? please troll harder, you really need all the self esteem you can get

Thank you!
Now, take your USELESS polymonikering sorry azzze of a cowardly ID and LAY OFF MY POSTS! Work on your own self-esteem first by getting hitched.
WITH OR WITHOUT MEDICATION.
UGLY FAT BIAAAAAAAAAATCH! kiss
You may have the Political section. . . don't come near my posts! kiss

I have noticed you. . . NOW GET LOST! kiss
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by Joagbaje(m): 12:55am On May 12, 2012
The passage is about a father dealing well with his daughter who probably had vow of celibacy . by giving her hand in marriage to a man. It's not about a young man having sex..

GOD WORD TRANSLATION
1 Corinthians 7:36-40
No father would want to do the wrong thing when his virgin daughter is old enough to get married. If she wants to get married, he isn't sinning by letting her get married. 37 However, a father may have come to a decision about his daughter. If his decision is to keep her at home because she doesn't want to get married, that's fine. 38 So it's fine for a father to give his daughter in marriage, but the father who doesn't give his daughter in marriage does even better. 39 A married woman must remain with her husband as long as he lives. If her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but only if the man is a Christian. 40 However, she will be more blessed if she stays as she is. That is my opinion, and I think that I, too, have God's Spirit.
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by Nobody: 1:43am On May 12, 2012
Oga joe how father come take come inside this matter.That verse is talking about a man and his fiancee
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by honeric01(m): 1:57am On May 12, 2012
chukwudi44: Oga joe how father come take come inside this matter.That verse is talking about a man and his fiancee

grin grin grin grin grin Jehovah sharp sharp bible i guess grin
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by MrAnony1(m): 7:09am On May 12, 2012
Callotti:

Thank you!
Now, take your USELESS polymonikering sorry azzze of a cowardly ID and LAY OFF MY POSTS! Work on your own self-esteem first by getting hitched.
WITH OR WITHOUT MEDICATION.
UGLY FAT BIAAAAAAAAAATCH! kiss
You may have the Political section. . . don't come near my posts! kiss

I have noticed you. . . NOW GET LOST! kiss

It is interesting how you make up your own assumptions and meanings. First uncomely can only mean rape, next I am female to you (and a lot of other things i hesitate to mention) This must be fun for you............insulting people on nairaland must give you a sense of fulfillment of sorts. Keep trolling
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by Callotti: 7:11am On May 12, 2012
Mr_Anony:

It is interesting how you make up your own assumptions and meanings. First uncomely can only mean rape, next I am female to you (and a lot of other things i hesitate to mention) This must be fun for you............insulting people on nairaland must give you a sense of fulfillment of sorts. Keep trolling

Thank you.
Please, you don't see me and I don't see you. kiss
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by Nobody: 7:21am On May 12, 2012
the best response has been given by tpia.

some xtians are funny. dont read out of context. read the preceding chapter and do same for the chapter in question
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by Joagbaje(m): 4:13am On May 16, 2012
chukwudi44: Oga joe how father come take come inside this matter.That verse is talking about a man and his fiancee

Did you read it in other translations?

It's dealing with the vow of celibacy. some men who's daughter have vowed to remain celibate ,feel its a sin if they rventually give her away to a man . Paul was saying ,it's better to keep such virgins but if you want to still give your virging (daughter ) in marriage ,you have not sinned.

The passage is about a father dealing well with his daughter who probably had vow of celibacy . by giving her hand in marriage to a man. It's not about a young man Being Intimate..

GOD WORD TRANSLATION
1 Corinthians 7:36-40
No father would want to do the wrong thing when his virgin daughter is old enough to get married. If she wants to get married, he isn't sinning by letting her get married. 37 However, a father may have come to a decision about his daughter. If his decision is to keep her at home because she doesn't want to get married, that's fine. 38 So it's fine for a father to give his daughter in marriage, but the father who doesn't give his daughter in marriage does even better. 39 A married woman must remain with her husband as long as he lives. If her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but only if the man is a Christian. 40 However, she will be more blessed if she stays as she is. That is my opinion, and I think that I, too, have God's Spirit.

Of course I can't de y that there are two schools of thoughts over that verse. NIV translations was generous to give the two versions in the foot note.

36 If anyone thinks he is not treating his daughter properly, and if she is getting along in years, and he feels she ought to marry, he should do as he wants. He is not sinning. He should let her get married. 37But the man who has settled the matter in his own mind, who is under no compulsion but has control over his own will, and who has made up his mind to keep the virgin unmarried–this man also does the right thing. 38So then, he who gives his virgin in marriage does right, but he who does not
Re: Someone Should Please Explain 1 Cor 7:36 For Me, I'm Confused! by alphyberry: 12:59pm On Apr 17, 2016
tpia5:

@ topic

Yes....I concur wt u
Sum pple jst abuse d scriptures

(1) (Reply)

Anambra Anglican Priest Makes U-Turn, Rescinds From His Pro-Polygamy Movement / Have You Ever Seen An Angel Before? / What's The Essence Of Marriage??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.