Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,216 members, 7,780,405 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:42 PM

That Adam And Eve Story... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / That Adam And Eve Story... (1853 Views)

Is The Adam And Eve Story To Be Understood Literally? / The Catholic Pope Francis- There Is No Heaven Or Hell And Adam And Eve Not Real / If God Knew Satan Will Rebel And Adam And Eve Will Sin, Why Did He Create Them? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

That Adam And Eve Story... by Nobody: 8:20am On May 12, 2012
Adam and Eve, created by a loving God. God puts a tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the Garden of Eden and warns them not to eat of it.

Eve don tire to dey waka for garden, come go siddon for one syd. Snake/Serpent come waka (dat time im leg still dey body) go tell am the koko...

To cut the long story short, Adam, Eve and the snake were all punished for being accomplices in going against God's command.

My question goes thus:
Why did God WARN them not to eat of the fruit of 'KNOWLEDGE'? Why didn't God want them to 'KNOW'? What didn't He want them to 'KNOW'? Is it because, in a sense, acquiring knowledge makes GOD less awesome, man more self reliant?

Most religious folks in Nigeria are more Bible educated than 'science' educated. I'm no atheist but I believe in the power of REASON and LOGIC. You go to our universities and you see sooooo mmaaaaannnyyy fellowships, people skipping classes to attend prayer meetings, choir rehearsals, just to mention but a few.

Of course, I know a corrupt government has caused most of this, not religion per se, but wouldn't you agree that if the 'anointing oil' and other 'spiritual materials' were not touted as solutions to the problems caused by a wicked and vicious set of people, that Nigeria would have less intellectually lazy people or ZOMBIE christians?

A lot have been indoctrinated to believe they're CHOSEN, WINNERS, KINGS, REDEEMED, SAVED yet nothing about the Nigerian society reflects such.
Does being a Christian, while giving one 'hope' of salvation and a ticket to heaven, relieve one of earthly duties and roles that better the society?
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Callotti: 8:27am On May 12, 2012
What has the Adam and Eve story got to do with the following?

Does being a Christian, while giving one 'hope' of salvation and a ticket to heaven, relieve one of earthly duties and roles that better the society?

A rhetoric question devoid of any intellectual stimulation. If "God" created defective merchandise from the get go, how can the so-called 'nominal', hypocritical Christians strive for a better society? I praise mankind for even trying to bring law, order and decency to a world created by a sadistic GOD for some sick entertainment. I absolve mankind of all folly.

BLAME THE DAFT CHRISTIAN GOD! kiss

Mankind deserved to be praised for continously trying to restore some degree of nomalcy to the chaos 'DEAR GOD' claimed to have perfected!

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Nobody: 8:31am On May 12, 2012
Callotti: What has the Adam and Eve story got to do with the following?

A rhetoric question devoid of any intellectual stimulation. If "God" created defective merchandise from the get go, how can the so-called 'nominal', hypocritical Christians strive for a better society?

Hallo madam.. first time your post no get insult or heerrressy.. cheesy wetin happen?

A rhetoric question devoid of any intellectual stimulation. If "God" created defective merchandise from the get go, how can the so-called 'nominal', hypocritical Christians strive for a better society? I praise mankind for even trying to bring law, order and decency to a world created by a sadistic GOD for some sick entertainment. I absolve mankind of all folly.

Oh my bad, u forgot, back to type cheesy
Exactly my sentiments..
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Callotti: 8:35am On May 12, 2012
musKeeto:
Hallo madam.. first time your post no get insult or heerrressy.. cheesy wetin happen?

Oh my bad, u forgot, back to type cheesy
Exactly my sentiments..

I type in phases. . . as I keep thinking about MORE TO ADD.
You for let me finish! cheesy
No, I did not forget. cool

Me and the Christian God nor get business! I can never worship such a reetard! grin
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Jenwitemi(m): 8:37am On May 12, 2012
That adam and Eve story get k leg no be small jare. The loving God wanted his two creations to be as dumb as the christians are these days. That loving god is well challenged by his own creations who are smart and knowledgeable, obviously. What a whimp of a deity. grin
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Nobody: 8:38am On May 12, 2012
U know say some pple dey sleep for Nl religion prayer ground... appy weekend..
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Callotti: 8:44am On May 12, 2012
Amen!

The more I think about that Adam and Eve 'mess'. . . the more infuriated I get. To add insult to injury. . . he ritualized (ANOTHER MAN'S WIFE)a poor woman's Earthly son she labored to bring into the world with the 'blokos' of a philandering 'HOLY GHOST' of a phallus. . . and called him 'SAVIUOR'. . . .

We nefa judge all dat wan finish. . . the 'SAVIOUR' refuses to come and collect his STOOPID people make we for see 'chance'!

WTF? undecided
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Jenwitemi(m): 9:16am On May 12, 2012
Which is why more and more people are becoming ever more convinced of the great biblical deception switch, that the biblical god is the devil and the serpent is actually the loving God. That is the most obvious thing the Adam & Eve story confirms.

A devilish deity whose only intention is to deceive his future creations, would try to stop the first couple from having knowledge of right and wrong(intellectually well developed) and then have them pass that dumbness down the future generations of humans. That way, the future gen of humans can be kept ignorant without any problems.

But a loving God would want his creations to know right from wrong to be able to make better decisions for themselves, thus the serpent being the good god. This is obviously self evident, in my view. One has to have had a brain amputation operation not to have noticed this for himself/herself.
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Nobody: 9:21am On May 12, 2012
@Jenwitemi:
And then same god employs 'language creation' to disperse people at the site of the TOWER OF BABEL.. yet man has built spacecrafts and spacestations apparently thanks to Eve biting that fruit. The more I think about this, the more I lose my faith in that which I once held dear...
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by mkmyers45(m): 9:33am On May 12, 2012
musKeeto: @Jenwitemi:
And then same god employs 'language creation' to disperse people at the site of the TOWER OF BABEL.. yet man has built spacecrafts and spacestations apparently thanks to Eve biting that fruit. The more I think about this, the more I lose my faith in that which I once held dear...
WORD cool
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by ea7(m): 9:47am On May 12, 2012

Mankind deserved to be praised for continously trying to restore some degree of nomalcy to the chaos 'DEAR GOD' claimed to have perfected!

arrgh!!. Who are you and what have you done with calloti!!!?
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Jenwitemi(m): 10:15am On May 12, 2012
This issue of the garden myth touches on the freewill question. To have had the intention of robbing the first couple of their rights to freedom of choice or freewill by forbidding them to eat of the tree of knowledge of right and wrong is just plain evil. The whole thing reeked of attempt at total control of human destiny.

Is it, then, a coincidence that the 3 Abrahamic religions are such control freaks? I think not. These religions present their faithfuls the freewill of having just TWO choices; for HIM or against HIM. Heaven or hell. That, in my view, is like no choices at all and only an evil deity and the religions built around his evil would sanction that as having FREEWILL. It is tyrannical. It is dictatorial. It is ultimately EVIL.

Having the knowledge of good and bad, on the other hand, gives humans a vastly greater freedom of choice and freewill. The kind of great gift a loving God would want to bestow on IT'S creations.
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Richardid: 10:16am On May 12, 2012
Methink,all these stories are just fables just to illustrate the imagination of the early writers of the bible.
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Jenwitemi(m): 10:18am On May 12, 2012
I believe it to be much more than works of mere imaginations of the writers.
Richardid: Methink,all these stories are just fables just to illustrate the imagination of the early writers of the bible.
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Callotti: 10:19am On May 12, 2012
Boy! Free-Thinkers are truly intelligent beings! cool

ea7: arrgh!!. Who are you and what have you done with calloti!!!?

What is the matter?
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by ea7(m): 10:27am On May 12, 2012
Callotti: Boy! Free-Thinkers are truly intelligent beings! cool

What is the matter?
the callotti I know doesn't actually type coherent sentences, makes blokos jokes and is actually funny. You are to serious, I'll call you not-callotti
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Callotti: 10:44am On May 12, 2012
ea7: the callotti I know doesn't actually type coherent sentences, makes blokos jokes and is actually funny. You are to serious, I'll call you not-callotti

Yeah right! Thanks for the compliment. kiss

Did the 'HOLY GHOST' also write all these for 'Callotti'? wink

(0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) ( 8 ) (9) (of 47 pages)

47 pages of 'incoherent' junk on my profile page for sure.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh!
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by emofine2(f): 11:14am On May 12, 2012
musKeeto: Why did God WARN them not to eat of the fruit of 'KNOWLEDGE'? Why didn't God want them to 'KNOW'? What didn't He want them to 'KNOW'?

To be actual...the protagonist in the bible prohibited the “knowledge of the good and evil”. So the kind of knowledge was specified. It was not the knowledge of science, knowledge of arts etc...just “good and evil” according to the book called the holy bible.
“Tree of Life” and the “Tree of the knowledge of good and evil” aside, it was not told what other type of trees was present in the Garden of Eden.

However the protagonist or if you like "God" did actually state why “He” did not want Adam (and I say Adam in particular because from what I read “he” never directly instructed Eve thus the greater responsibility fell on Adam and that’s why “He” first questioned Adam ) to partake of the tree.

Is it because, in a sense, acquiring knowledge makes GOD less awesome, man more self reliant?

In a broader sense it depends and it does not solely bear effect on the biblical god.
The more humans have an understanding of their universe, certain phenomenon that was once accorded to god i.e. Thor striking his hammer thus causing thunder...the less relevant such god becomes. The more we know, the less that god(s) becomes a handy explanation in their specific functional role...in a way it’s kinda like the last god standing.

However despite what is known...there will still be those who will credit god for all things because to some "he" still caused all things to happen or engineered the whole system to operate as such.

So sometimes when some people know they will become less reliant on god whilst some people will become more enthralled by god.

Of course, I know a corrupt government has caused most of this, not religion per se, but wouldn't you agree that if the 'anointing oil' and other 'spiritual materials' were not touted as solutions to the problems caused by a wicked and vicious set of people, that Nigeria would have less intellectually lazy people or ZOMBIE christians?

The most disadvantageous aspect I’ve observed with organized religion is the design to follow follow. It’s quite telling that in the very bible such population are aptly called “sheeps”. Metaphor for believers or not it still holds.

So essentially if one follows religion in effect such a person would follow - (some may say “guided” as a euphemism) - Pastors, senior staffs and co. Why cannot one seek or maintain a relationship with god independent of man I wonder. This brotherhood or "sheep"hood absorbs the majority.

Sometimes it’s hard to draw a distinction of whether religion is truly poison or if religion has been poisoned but if people cannot think beyond religion, think beyond Pastor and think beyond a book then that could prove quite harmful and not only to the individual but to that individual’s immediate society and Nigeria has suffered for it.
A book is meant to inspire one to think not to cage one’s mind.

First of all one has to become familiar with the “earthly duties” Christians believe they uniquely assume - although from my observation sometimes the goal post is conveniently shifted.
As humans of course we have our duties but Christians too have their own duties and when the standard duties may sometimes appear in opposition to the Christian ones the “ZOMBIE christians” will no doubt forsake those “earthly duties”. But when it’s in favour to their Christian ones well...there you have it.
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by emofine2(f): 11:19am On May 12, 2012
Callotti: If "God" created defective merchandise from the get go, how can the so-called 'nominal', hypocritical Christians strive for a better society?

And this is what I'm slightly at odds with. “He” allowed for us to be created faulty yet commands us to be faultless and that “he” is the convenient solution to our inbuilt imperfection.
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Nobody: 11:54am On May 12, 2012
emöfine2:

To be actual...the protagonist in the bible prohibited the “knowledge of the good and evil”. So the kind of knowledge was specified. It was not the knowledge of science, knowledge of arts etc...just “good and evil” according to the book called the holy bible.
“Tree of Life” and the “Tree of the knowledge of good and evil” aside, it was not told what other type of trees was present in the Garden of Eden.

However the protagonist or if you like "God" did actually state why “He” did not want Adam (and I say Adam in particular because from what I read “he” never directly instructed Eve thus the greater responsibility fell on Adam and that’s why “He” first questioned Adam ) to partake of the tree.

Doesn't the knowledge of good and evil encompass all knowledge? If you choose to tread this path, if 'ADAM' didn't have a knowledge of 'good' or 'evil', how would HE have known it was GOOD/EVIL to disobey God? If the knowledge of good/evil is classified as CONSCIENCE, would it be right to say God gave an instruction to one without CONSCIENCE? What does a baby know?

emöfine2:
In a broader sense it depends and it does not solely bear effect on the biblical god.
The more humans have an understanding of their universe, certain phenomenon that was once accorded to god i.e. Thor striking his hammer thus causing thunder...the less relevant such god becomes. The more we know, the less that god(s) becomes a handy explanation in their specific functional role...in a way it’s kinda like the last god standing.
However despite what is known...there will still be those who will credit god for all things because to some "he" still caused all things to happen or engineered the whole system to operate as such.
So sometimes when some people know they will become less reliant on god whilst some people will become more enthralled by god.
Then those who become less reliant are promised HELL for not believing? Shouldn't both sides be treated right?

emöfine2:
The most disadvantageous aspect I’ve observed with organized religion is the design to follow follow. It’s quite telling that in the very bible such population are aptly called “sheeps”. Metaphor for believers or not it still holds.

So essentially if one follows religion in effect such a person would follow - (some may say “guided” as a euphemism) - Pastors, senior staffs and co. Why cannot one seek or maintain a relationship with god independent of man I wonder. This brotherhood or "sheep"hood absorbs the majority.

Sometimes it’s hard to draw a distinction of whether religion is truly poison or if religion has been poisoned but if people cannot think beyond religion, think beyond Pastor and think beyond a book then that could prove quite harmful and not only to the individual but to that individual’s immediate society and Nigeria has suffered for it.
A book is meant to inspire one to think not to cage one’s mind.

I have nothing to add to this.. well said..

To the second part
emöfine2:
First of all one has to become familiar with the “earthly duties” Christians believe they uniquely assume - although from my observation sometimes the goal post is conveniently shifted.
As humans of course we have our duties but Christians too have their own duties and when the standard duties may sometimes appear in opposition to the Christian ones the “ZOMBIE christians” will no doubt forsake those “earthly duties”. But when it’s in favour to their Christian ones well...there you have it.
I really appreciate your contribution..
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by ea7(m): 12:42pm On May 12, 2012
@muskeeto are you christian agnostic or atheist agnostic.
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by plaetton: 1:44pm On May 12, 2012

Excellent. I just want to add to it that despite our many hiccups along the way, humankind has actually done a much better job of evolving and moulding our civilization than god(biblical god) ever did, especially in areas of justice,fundamental human rights, tolerance and peaceful co-existence, science and medicine,etc.
For example, the biblical god could not even find a cure for such diseases as leprosy. His solution was to condemn them as unclean and put them in concentration camps.
Infact, by todays human standards, the biblical god would be tried for crimes against humanity.
We have come a long way. No wonder the biblical god was so terrified that man had eaten from the tree of knowledge. Obviously, knowledge diminishes god.

3 Likes

Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by emofine2(f): 1:50pm On May 12, 2012
musKeeto: Doesn't the knowledge of good and evil encompass all knowledge?

Not it does not, it just encompasses Man’s moral knowledge and discernment...in my humble view.

If you choose to tread this path, if 'ADAM' didn't have a knowledge of 'good' or 'evil', how would HE have known it was GOOD/EVIL to disobey God? If the knowledge of good/evil is classified as CONSCIENCE, would it be right to say God gave an instruction to one without CONSCIENCE? What does a baby know?

I used to ponder about this myself and I am a little puzzled by it to be honest. But don’t we have inclinations?
To be honest I don’t know how much Adam and Eve knew. But I suspect that they knew more than what we sometimes give them credit for – so ironically it’s kinda like a dramatic irony except these characters know more about the plot than us as the audience/readers.

However I find it difficult to mentally interpret this abode as a material one unless the tree stood for a metaphor. When one thinks about it...the other tree which was the “tree of life” was a metaphor of Christ...so I’m left thinking what the “tree of the knowledge of good of evil” signified. Possibly the “world” i.e. carnality...but Adam and Eve was in the World...no actually they were in the “Earth”...so I’m still trying to figure some things out myself...

Then those who become less reliant are promised HELL for not believing? Shouldn't both sides be treated right?

Treated right? What do you mean by treated right and by whom? By believers, society, god? etc... I ask because...according to the rule master this is the right treatment for both sides.
That’s the nature of the game. I don’t condone it of course but if I’m honest I don’t entirely understand the reasoning behind the rules (because I suspect there must be deeper implications than what we’ve rationalized i.e. god is arrogant).

However that’s not to say that one who has gained much in understanding cannot decisively still come to God - and vice versa ( being independent of god doesn’t have to be a side effect of knowledge acquired) - It’s just that such a person most likely will come to appreciate that in which they call god with their holistic being. When I say that I mean with the inclusion of the spirit and mind etc. I believe it’s very important to engage the mind and not blindly trudge on a path that one believes is safe or has been labelled as the “truth” so therefore must be the truth. There is blind faith and there is blind reasoning but reasoning should not be exempted from faith.
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Callotti: 3:40pm On May 12, 2012
emöfine2:

And this is what I'm slightly at odds with. “He” allowed for us to be created faulty yet commands us to be faultless and that “he” is the convenient solution to our inbuilt imperfection.

Slightly? You are extremely polite. I will be like you if I ever grow up. I am MAJORLY at odds with such recurrent themes of ambivalence concerning the 'almighrry' Christian 'cherub' ati 'saraph'!
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Callotti: 3:52pm On May 12, 2012
plaetton:

Excellent. I just want to add to it that despite our many hiccups along the way, humankind has actually done a much better job of evolving and moulding our civilization than god(biblical god) ever did, especially in areas of justice,fundamental human rights, tolerance and peaceful co-existence, science and medicine,etc.
For example, the biblical god could not even find a cure for such diseases as leprosy. His solution was to condemn them as unclean and put them in concentration camps.
Infact, by todays human standards, the biblical god would be tried for crimes against humanity.
We have come a long way. No wonder the biblical god was so terrified that man had eaten from the tree of knowledge. Obviously, knowledge diminishes god.

Gbam!
. . . Found guilty and summarily executed by hanging in public view! Ho-ha! kiss
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by emofine2(f): 4:31pm On May 12, 2012
Callotti:

Slightly? You are extremely polite. I will be like you if I ever grow up. I am MAJORLY at odds with such recurrent themes of ambivalence concerning the 'almighrry' Christian 'cherub' ati 'saraph'!

I guess I’m more forgiving than the biblical entity grin
Excuse my typo. In all honesty I am floored by that aspect but I’m sure there’s a ready-made explanation i.e. “we were made sinners by virtue of Adam’s ancient sin”
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Callotti: 6:02pm On May 12, 2012
emöfine2:

I guess I’m more forgiving than the biblical entity grin
Excuse my typo. In all honesty I am floored by that aspect but I’m sure there’s a ready-made explanation i.e. “we were made sinners by virtue of Adam’s ancient sin”

I agree. grin
Toooooooooooo forgiving!
The Adam and Eve story is the most debasing insult to the human intellect.
May God forgive himself. Amen!
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Nobody: 6:32pm On May 12, 2012
Oh God, have mercy on us,...The end has indeed come, see how people now talk about God, no fear of God anymore, they even hate and insult God,.
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by ea7(m): 6:53pm On May 12, 2012
@ebongtami, shut the ffuck up, christard.
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Callotti: 6:55pm On May 12, 2012
Yes o! End time. . .End time is all we hear.
When is that your 'Jesus' aka 'Gaddafi' coming to collect 'his people'?
REMEMBER ME NOT O LORD!
Thank you! kiss
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:49am On May 13, 2012
adam and eve dont exist.
Re: That Adam And Eve Story... by Jenwitemi(m): 8:50am On May 13, 2012
We are pretending that they do at the moment to heckle christians. Much more fun that way. grin
PAGAN 9JA:
adam and eve dont exist.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ten Reasons NOT To Ask Jesus Into Your Heart / The Injustice On Religion Section Of Nairaland / 15 Promises Of "Our Lady" To Christians Who Recite The Rosary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.