Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,246 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? (4650 Views)

APC Will Be Non-existent Without Tinubu – Femi Gbajabiamila / Boko Haram: Airforce Virtually Non–Existent - Buhari (+ The Question He Dodged) / Soludo: Obama’s Energy Policy, Threat To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by mrpataki(m): 8:57am On Nov 15, 2007
What steps can be taken to ensure contant power supply in Nigeria? At the moment, I know there is no constant power supply, but what can be done to correct this anomaly?

Thanks.
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by almondjoy(f): 10:23am On Nov 15, 2007
Ask Dr. Watson! kiss
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by Purist(m): 10:24am On Nov 15, 2007
Oh please, this frequent jeering reference to Dr. Watson has become hackneyed already.

@ topic,

Patnership with the private sector should do.

Here's an extract from The Guardian of October 30, 2007.

"For erratic power supply to become a thing of the past in the country, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) will need a sum of N3 trillion.

Chairman of the Commission, Dr. Ransome Owan gave the figure in Calabar the Cross River State capital shortly after the commissioning of the Presidential Retreat and International Conference Centre at the Obudu Ranch Resort by President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua.

"We need N3 trillion investments for the country to have improved power supply. The country will have vast improvement with such injection of money. I am happy to report that as of today, we have granted licenses to 21 companies that are going to generate over 8,200 megawatts", he said.

. . .

"Right now, the national budget is about N2 trillion. The power sector alone can easily take that on any given day", he said adding, "so it is critical that those private investors come in and invest in the energy sector of the nation's economy".

. . .

Note: Not a total privatisation, but public-private sector patnership.
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by mrpataki(m): 10:26am On Nov 15, 2007
Just 8,200MW. Is that for a year or a month? shocked shocked
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by Purist(m): 10:33am On Nov 15, 2007
OKay, let me complete the article.

Owan added: "We have what we call suppressed demand in the country, that is, the demand for power as a country is more than the supply of power. Experts tell us that today, we can use up to 14,000 to 15,000 megawatts, but our capacity to generate is about 4,000 megawatts. The demand is so high that anybody can build a power plant today. We can all buy the power".

As I've always said, if power problem in Nigeria (which is the major problem right now) can be solved once and for all, that will be the beginning of new things to come for us.
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by mrpataki(m): 10:53am On Nov 15, 2007
Purist:

OKay, let me complete the article.

As I've always said, if power problem in Nigeria (which is the major problem right now) can be solved once and for all, that will be the beginning of new things to come for us.

It is good to mesmerise people with interesting write-ups and good jargons of mathematical calculations as to power generation, when there are no existing energy policies in place to adequately ensure that efficient power generation becomes a reality.
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by vigasimple(m): 12:04pm On Nov 15, 2007
let me start by saying that Energy policy- non exist in Nigeria? that was the question right.

I think there is an energy policy be it that it is unwritten. The policy is -give when you can or when somebody makes noise and we all shout UP NEPA.

Mark my words, we have sick people in our nation leadership. They don't have vision accompanied by persuasion.

I don't know why OBJ failed to sort Power problem out in 8 years but there may be reasons behind it, part of it as I undersood it, is to do with the 'cabal' or mafia who has interest in other things like Diesel, Generators etc. and to them Power solution is against their selfish interest simply because they are stupid and can't see the big picture.

Nigerians are intelligent enough to know that the people who are troubling Nigeria nad power supply are not up to 1000 who are holding the country into ransom.

I will soon post some more details of grassroot campaign going on and we shall find ways of 'taking over' this sector into our hands.

The truth is that we need at minimum 50,000 MW of power anything short of that is a recipe for disaster and joke of the highest order.

let us call a metting of wise people and stop eating from the pot of foolishness. 2020 is a complete joke without a comprehensive, deliverable and attainable Energy policy. There has been no single country who develop industrially without power. Period.

May God continue to help this great nation.
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by mrpataki(m): 1:19pm On Nov 15, 2007
vigasimple:

let me start by saying that Energy policy- non exist in Nigeria? that was the question right.

I think there is an energy policy be it that it is unwritten. The policy is -give when you can or when somebody makes noise and we all shout UP NEPA.

Mark my words, we have sick people in our nation leadership. They don't have vision accompanied by persuasion.

I don't know why OBJ failed to sort Power problem out in 8 years but there may be reasons behind it, part of it as I undersood it, is to do with the 'cabal' or mafia who has interest in other things like Diesel, Generators etc. and to them Power solution is against their selfish interest simply because they are stupid and can't see the big picture.

Nigerians are intelligent enough to know that the people who are troubling Nigeria nad power supply are not up to 1000 who are holding the country into ransom.

I will soon post some more details of grassroot campaign going on and we shall find ways of 'taking over' this sector into our hands.

The truth is that we need at minimum 50,000 MW of power anything short of that is a recipe for disaster and joke of the highest order.

let us call a metting of wise people and stop eating from the pot of foolishness. 2020 is a complete joke without a comprehensive, deliverable and attainable Energy policy. There has been no single country who develop industrially without power. Period.

May God continue to help this great nation.

Well said. But dont you think 50,000MW is too much?
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by follyg: 2:01pm On Nov 15, 2007
@mrpataki
Well said. But don't you think 50,000MW is too much?

Too much? when city of Tokyo alone is on 75,000MW
50,000MW will not be too much for the whole of Nigeria
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by vigasimple(m): 3:49pm On Nov 15, 2007
If we are to be seriously interested in Electricity and power not only for Homes but also for Industrial development we need minimum, I say minimum 50,000MW.

Uk with population of 60Million are on well over 80,000MW.

we are a nation of 140million so do the maths, in any event the 50,000Mw is assesed on our present need so we many even need to do ajdustment to provide for our future needs.

I say GOD will fight our battle for us in this country and all those politicians and executhieves will be put to shame.

Nigerians we are on our way for the children of lucifer to be terminated in their ways.
GOD bless us .
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 3:59pm On Nov 15, 2007
mrpataki:

What steps can be taken to ensure contant power supply in Nigeria? At the moment, I know there is no constant power supply, but what can be done to correct this anomaly?

Thanks.

We do not have the money to build hydro and nuclear plants to support the need of the entire nation right now. After further research into the power situation in the country and the technological advancements in the world we live in today. I have come to change my mind when it comes to having the country adopt the new wave to install solar panels for use in supplying energy to the people. People need Electricity and energy NOW, not in 10 years. The energy from the sun is available NOW for us to start tapping into it. I would say, that the country as a hole should adopt initiatives that would enable it build and source power to it's people, utilizing solar energy.

I believe the current state of things needs to be dealt with as an Emergency. I move to have states set up Solar Farms to temporarily/permanently alleviate the problem. The current situation hampers economic group on a huge level.
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by uspry1(f): 4:33pm On Nov 15, 2007
@kobojunkie

Great you talk about solar farm! However you should make aware the fact that last February 2007 i did try suggesting Nairalanders about proposing the wind-solar generators for their electricitifion resolution. Please read my peviously thread in the past where 50% of them were disagreed and another 50% of them agreed with me. Very few insulted me thinking that I was scammer because of my bad grammar writing skill. In fact that they, Nairalanders, did not know that i have hidden physical disability. It doesn't hinder my helping unfortunately people out making my dream become reality someday.

Here is link: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-40919.0.html

I presently work so hard researching online finding reasonable wind-solar generator prices. I found out that there has already established their own licensed solar-wind distributors locally in Nigeria as well as South Africa from USA and UK wind-solar generator manufacturer headquarters. I mean there are about 25 Nigeria/South Africa licensed solar-wind generator product distributors locally---but I find lot of resident/business Nigerians have complaint against local Nigeria/South Africa licensed solar-wind generator distributors on the ground of lousy customer service, defrauded and poor technicial support.

That mean I will have to create my own hybrid solar-wind generator presentation seminar simplified coming to Nigeria (specifically at Lagos hotel conference) to educate Nigerians how to avoid being ripped off from local solar-wind product distributors and take seriously responsibility of maintaining solar-wind generator system without relying on distributors after installed their solar-wind generator products at their home or business as well as to prepare for my feasibility study proposal to update my rough draft of my rural elelctrification system on hybrid solar-wind generator solution proposal.

Finally, I already have arranged accommodation by my Nigeria business partner and six business associates who support me all the way but I have not yet set the date when will I come to Nigeria as soon as I find a travel companionship---I HATE FLYING ALONE especially I am female and hidden physical disability I have. My business partner and associates HAVE NOT SEEN MY WRITTEN PROPOSAL, i refuse sending them personally in order to protect my idea. The fund will be come from the international microfinance investment as well as private venture capitalists.
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by mrpataki(m): 4:35pm On Nov 15, 2007
vigasimple:

If we are to be seriously interested in Electricity and power not only for Homes but also for Industrial development we need minimum, I say minimum 50,000MW.

Uk with population of 60Million are on well over 80,000MW.

we are a nation of 140million so do the maths, in any event the 50,000Mw is assesed on our present need so we many even need to do ajdustment to provide for our future needs.

I say GOD will fight our battle for us in this country and all those politicians and executhieves will be put to shame.

Nigerians we are on our way for the children of lucifer to be terminated in their ways.
GOD bless us .

God is not going to come down and fight any physical battle for us. It is left to us as Nigerians to collectively work towards achieving this.
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by mrpataki(m): 4:40pm On Nov 15, 2007
@ Upsry and Kobojunkie,

Solar power is great! But there are various other logistics involved with it. Are you ready to bear the costs of this as well?

Solar Energy generation in Nigeria needs to bring about a total re-orientation to the nation.

I have ideas that I am planning to bring down into the country, but I dont think there are available energy policies in the country that will adequately cater for the establishment of renewable energy for the country. embarassed
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by mrpataki(m): 5:37pm On Nov 15, 2007
follyg:

@mrpataki
Well said. But don't you think 50,000MW is too much?

Too much? when city of Tokyo alone is on 75,000MW
50,000MW will not be too much for the whole of Nigeria

Easier said than done! On what are we going to use to generate this 50,000MW of yours?
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by mrpataki(m): 5:38pm On Nov 15, 2007
almondjoy:

Ask Dr. Watson! kiss

It is time Dr. Watson comes down and learn one or two things from Nigeria!. tongue
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 8:52pm On Nov 15, 2007
uspry1:

@kobojunkie

Great you talk about solar farm! However you should make aware the fact that last February 2007 i did try suggesting Nairalanders about proposing the wind-solar generators for their electricitifion resolution. Please read my peviously thread in the past where 50% of them were disagreed and another 50% of them agreed with me. Very few insulted me thinking that I was scammer because of my bad grammar writing skill. In fact that they, Nairalanders, did not know that i have hidden physical disability. It doesn't hinder my helping unfortunately people out making my dream become reality someday.

Here is link: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-40919.0.html

I presently work so hard researching online finding reasonable wind-solar generator prices. I found out that there has already established their own licensed solar-wind distributors locally in Nigeria as well as South Africa from USA and UK wind-solar generator manufacturer headquarters. I mean there are about 25 Nigeria/South Africa licensed solar-wind generator product distributors locally---but I find lot of resident/business Nigerians have complaint against local Nigeria/South Africa licensed solar-wind generator distributors on the ground of lousy customer service, defrauded and poor technicial support.

That mean I will have to create my own hybrid solar-wind generator presentation seminar simplified coming to Nigeria (specifically at Lagos hotel conference) to educate Nigerians how to avoid being ripped off from local solar-wind product distributors and take seriously responsibility of maintaining solar-wind generator system without relying on distributors after installed their solar-wind generator products at their home or business as well as to prepare for my feasibility study proposal to update my rough draft of my rural elelctrification system on hybrid solar-wind generator solution proposal.

Finally, I already have arranged accommodation by my Nigeria business partner and six business associates who support me all the way but I have not yet set the date when will I come to Nigeria as soon as I find a travel companionship---I HATE FLYING ALONE especially I am female and hidden physical disability I have. My business partner and associates HAVE NOT SEEN MY WRITTEN PROPOSAL, i refuse sending them personally in order to protect my idea. The fund will be come from the international microfinance investment as well as private venture capitalists.

I was one of those who disagreed with you and if you check my post, after researching the state of the country and coming to realize that we do not even have the money to pursue the building of nepa plants or nuclear plants, I have come to the realization that solar energy might be a cheaper, and more viable way to go.

Nigeria has a lot of space for which to set up Solar Farms. Like your investigation has revealed to you, doing business in Africa is not same as it is here in the US. To Teach the people to build for themselves, there is the question of availability of raw materials to power such moves. Even those materials need to be purchased and I am sure there will spring up suppliers promising good quality materials but doing no such in the end.

I do believe that if the government takes it on itself to set up these farms on a large scale basis, it would be better.
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 9:05pm On Nov 15, 2007
mrpataki:

@ Upsry and Kobojunkie,

Solar power is great! But there are various other logistics involved with it. Are you ready to bear the costs of this as well?

Solar Energy generation in Nigeria needs to bring about a total re-orientation to the nation.

I have ideas that I am planning to bring down into the country, but I don't think there are available energy policies in the country that will adequately cater for the establishment of renewable energy for the country. embarassed

I am not proposing that Nigeria jump on the GLOBAL WARMING/WARNING band wagon, but that Nigeria take advantage of this to provide for it's people and it's economy NOW. The Sun is free. The country gets at least 200 days of sunlight each year. We have over 140 million people who can take advantage of that energy that is right now not being put to use. Considering the cost of builty nuclear reactors and setting up nuclear plants, I do not think we should put away all that money and then have to wait 20 years to take advantage of that technology. Considering the building of New HydroElectric plants and the time that would take to put up. I believe we have exhausted too much of the people's money and time already. I say we move to maintainance mode for the next couple of years and find cheaper and faster ways to provide the economy and people with what is needed; Constant power supply NOW.

Compared to the stupendous amount of money we have wasted on the others, I believe this should be an option we should try for and states could try this temporarily, or until the new hydroplants/nuclear stations are finally in place.  Majority of the nigerian homes can not afford to buy solar panels on their own but if the  government is able to buy them and then charge households for energy supplied, that would go a long way in helping get us to where we ought to be than for us to remain were we are now for the next 10 or 20 years.

If you have ideas, please let us know so those of us who are interested can sign up to help the way we can please.

http://www.redherring.com/Home/19866

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/27/business/27solar.html?_r=1&n=Top/News/Business/Companies/General%20Electric%20Company&oref=slogin

Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 7:34pm On Nov 16, 2007

Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by almondjoy(f): 7:50pm On Nov 16, 2007
Hmmm! What a bunch of wasted talents! cry

Can we please have an arial view of what the ones in Nigeria might look like? tongue
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by almondjoy(f): 7:53pm On Nov 16, 2007
mrpataki:

It is time Dr. Watson comes down and learn one or two things from Nigeria!. tongue

You have been warned! That name is getting on some people's nerves and I think you should not use it any more. tongue
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by buluti(m): 8:15pm On Nov 16, 2007
This Energy issue in Nigeria in my opinion is due to metal laziness. People dont want to think, we just want to copy. Its not about copying wind here or solar there its about analysing whats cheap to us. I suggested in the other post a total departure of what currently exist, you can read my contribution there.

Nigeria is blessed with energy resources that are natural to us, eg Gas am not saying Gas is it, but we need to discover the one thats for us on a national level, it might well be "Nuclear", lol, but really we need to take into consideration our pecualrities and design our Energy policy. This PHCN issue, its time to totally kill that company, i mean totally not NEPA to PHCN, i mean it should not exist, sell it off. Let other companys generate this power, PHCN just can not, its doing too much, it will distribute, it will transmit.

Look at refinning, we cant get it right, because govt is refinning, soon now some will say we should conserve energy like my friend in the other thread i.e. manage fuel, maybe copy Europe with the car share, cycle, public transport initiative. We need to design a framework that is enduring and it starts from killing PHCN, private and sell off the monster. Talking about Energy is beyond electricity what of refining, whats happening to PH and kaduna refineries??
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 8:46pm On Nov 16, 2007
buluti:

This Energy issue in Nigeria in my opinion is due to metal laziness. People don't want to think, we just want to copy. Its not about copying wind here or solar there its about analysing whats cheap to us. I suggested in the other post a total departure of what currently exist, you can read my contribution there.

Nigeria is blessed with energy resources that are natural to us, eg Gas am not saying Gas is it, but we need to discover the one thats for us on a national level, it might well be "Nuclear", lol, but really we need to take into consideration our pecualrities and design our Energy policy. This PHCN issue, its time to totally kill that company, i mean totally not NEPA to PHCN, i mean it should not exist, sell it off. Let other companys generate this power, PHCN just can not, its doing too much, it will distribute, it will transmit.

Look at refinning, we can't get it right, because govt is refinning, soon now some will say we should conserve energy like my friend in the other thread i.e. manage fuel, maybe copy Europe with the car share, cycle, public transport initiative. We need to design a framework that is enduring and it starts from killing PHCN, private and sell off the monster. Talking about Energy is beyond electricity what of refining, whats happening to PH and kaduna refineries??

You are trying to say we should go back to exactly what we have been doing for the past how many decades and expect it to work this time around. I am not for scraping NEPA but I do admit that NEPA has so far failed the country and pushing in more billions into that project at this point and expecting the people to wait decades yet again is not in our good at all. We know the world is pushing for clean energy sources, We know we can not refine that which we have and pushing for us to do that now is again not new and not going to help the economy right now, maybe in the next 20 years, but some of us are actually sick of being told every other year that Nigeria will be better in a DECADE.

Right now we have access to solar and wind energy. As soon as the States/Country develops laws that will allow individuals/business to set up Power Farms and run them at little or no risk of being weighed down by the same government, I believe we will be better able to deal with the problem we have in the country right now. It would even be better if the state takes it on itself to run such projects involving the people all the way. I used to push for rebuilding of the NEPA stations and Nuclear Energy but I have come to a point where I realize we do not have time to wait for those anymore. We are already well into the 21st Century and are 50 years behind most of the developed world.
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by buluti(m): 9:17pm On Nov 16, 2007
Kobojunkie:

You are trying to say we should go back to exactly what we have been doing for the past how many decades and expect it to work this time around. I am not for scraping NEPA but [b]I do admit that NEPA has so far failed the countr[/b]y and pushing in more billions into that project at this point and expecting the people to wait decades yet again is not in our good at all. We know the world is pushing for clean energy sources, We know we can not refine that which we have and pushing for us to do that now is again not new and not going to help the economy right now, maybe in the next 20 years, but some of us are actually sick of being told every other year that Nigeria will be better in a DECADE.

@ Kobojunkie so what are you suggesting, we should keep what has failed?

I am at a loss please, how is selling of NEPA,  what we have been doing in the past, have they sold NEPA before, please tell maybe i don't know, then you don't understand privatalisation or de-regulation, allow other companies come and operate.  I said kill/sell off PHCH, is that what you did in the past. De-regulate the power industry, is that what you have done in the past.

Who is suggesting to put billions into NEPA, where did i say so??

Please read my contribution in this the thread below.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-93748.32.html
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by mrpataki(m): 10:02pm On Nov 16, 2007
@ kobojunkie,

Bless heavens for a forum like this where like minded guys can get to meet and discuss possible ways to foster things ahead. From your write up, I seem to summarize it as: The government creates a level playing ground, where investors can come in set up these power farms and create some incentives and the citizen are allowed to pay for the electricity consumption they use.

I totally agree with you on this. It will create an avenue for people to use power efficiently as you are going to be billed for the energy consumption you actually use.

At the moment, I am into talk with some people here, who are interested in investing in the power sector in Nigeria-Africa. I hope we do stay in touch often though.

Here is a link on going about Wind farms:
http://www.windpower.org/en/core.htm
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by mrpataki(m): 10:10pm On Nov 16, 2007
buluti:

This Energy issue in Nigeria in my opinion is due to metal laziness. People don't want to think, we just want to copy. Its not about copying wind here or solar there its about analysing whats cheap to us. I suggested in the other post a total departure of what currently exist, you can read my contribution there.

Look at refinning, we can't get it right, because govt is refinning, soon now some will say we should conserve energy like my friend in the other thread i.e. manage fuel, maybe copy Europe with the car share, cycle, public transport initiative. We need to design a framework that is enduring and it starts from killing PHCN, private and sell off the monster. Talking about Energy is beyond electricity what of refining, whats happening to PH and kaduna refineries??

I dont totally support you on this buluti. Selling off PHCN or Nepa or whatever they call themselves is not the solution to this menace. I know the frustration NEPA melted down on me over the years, but selling them off is not the solution to this issue.

Why sell what does not exist in the first instance? I still insist there is no backbone upon which energy production and consumption can thrive on in Nigeria. If I as an investor decide to come into Nigeria today to invest in the power sector, there is no legal framework which I can work with to create a sustainable process in matters of Energy usage in the country.

I dont blame NEPA or PHCN at all.
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 10:24pm On Nov 16, 2007
I don't believe Nigeria can afford to scrap NEPA at this point since it is all we have FOR NOW. I do believe we need to pursue alternative sources while we learn how to maintain what we have and then consider privatization at some point. We already have seen what privatization has done to the cell phone world. We need to wait a while and make sure we have good laws on ground before we embark on such moves when it comes to privatization of power industry. I mean right now, a bulk of the profits already go outside of the country. Such revenue could have aided in building our infrastructure many times over.

Another problem I have with privatization is that I see that as a fast way of sending the country deeper into a huge hole. We already have countries like China, India and Brazil, and so many others all trying to take over one part or another of the Nigerian market. Last thing we want is a situation where we have power supplied to the country but the bulk of the revenue generated from these industries being funneled out of the country. I don't know if you understand what I mean. If you do not, ask and I will explain.
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by mrpataki(m): 10:33pm On Nov 16, 2007
I rightly understand what you mean here, but I must say there is a good example which is the Mobile telecommunications industry, where it was privatized, and an open market came into play, creating room for accountability, a Nigerian owned company also came into play and it is even getting more better with time.

I have no problem with this people coming in and bringing in their technology, and there is also room for an independent owned power generation company owned by a Nigerian is also given the right to contribute, with time, I tell you more Nigerians will arise to take over the Nigerian market too.

Jamaica today is learning to be independent from Brazil. Even Bangladesh is also working towards that, though it is rather a slow pace for them, but it is possible. There was a time Netherlands depended on Germany for power generation, even UK too once had it, but today they all stand as independent power producers and willing to share the knowledge with developing nations.

Nigeria should never be ashamed to do such. Hope you understand me on this.
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 10:44pm On Nov 16, 2007
mrpataki:

I rightly understand what you mean here, but I must say there is a good example which is the Mobile telecommunications industry, where it was privatized, and an open market came into play, creating room for accountability, a Nigerian owned company also came into play and it is even getting more better with time.

I have no problem with this people coming in and bringing in their technology, and there is also room for an independent owned power generation company owned by a Nigerian is also given the right to contribute, with time, I tell you more Nigerians will arise to take over the Nigerian market too.

Jamaica today is learning to be independent from Brazil. Even Bangladesh is also working towards that, though it is rather a slow pace for them, but it is possible. There was a time Netherlands depended on Germany for power generation, even UK too once had it, but today they all stand as independent power producers and willing to share the knowledge with developing nations.

Nigeria should never be ashamed to do such. Hope you understand me on this.

If this was back some decades ago, I would agree but with globalization, I do not see it happening the same way for us anytime soon, if ever. Case and example, the US. Over 95% of goods bought and sold in the united States are made in China today. More and more factories around the country are closing their doors as they are not able to compete with the chinese market. Granted only recently, some of the local toy companies have come to find a hole to fit themselves in, but I do not think if this happened to Nigeria, we would be able to wean ourselves off of this sort of dependence as well as we expect developed countries to be able to. I try not to compare Nigeria with other countries but I do have to address the fact that some countries have yet to get themselves off the dependence they have had for decades, can Nigeria make it
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by mrpataki(m): 11:12pm On Nov 16, 2007
Kobojunkie:

If this was back some decades ago, I would agree but with globalization, I do not see it happening the same way for us anytime soon, if ever. Case and example, the US. Over 95% of goods bought and sold in the united States are made in China today. More and more factories around the country are closing their doors as they are not able to compete with the chinese market. Granted only recently, some of the local toy companies have come to find a hole to fit themselves in, but I do not think if this happened to Nigeria, we would be able to wean ourselves off of this sort of dependence as well as we expect developed countries to be able to. I try not to compare Nigeria with other countries but I do have to address the fact that some countries have yet to get themselves off the dependence they have had for decades, can Nigeria make it

Please tell me, what exactly have we ever done in respect to basic amenities that is still working effectively till date? NEPA, NIPOST, NITEL, NTA, and many more? None! They are all a total shame to behold!

If privatization will do it, I totally accept it.
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by buluti(m): 11:39pm On Nov 16, 2007
Nice discussion so far, but the point is that without the privatisation or selling off PHCN what i call Kill, the energy sector electricity will not be attractive to investors.

For the telecomms sector to have succeeded, the new entrants didnt need any inputs from NITEL as they started their operations from scratch. With electricity its not so, theres a national grid and distribution lines, PHCN does it all now, and has not been able to achieve anything. Yes its all we have now, but if its failed why should we hold on to it. Its operating as a so called commercialised ventrue (from the days of privatisation and commercialisation by IBB) its commercialisation element just means that the govt reduced funding and asked the parastaatals to increase cost of its products to make more money, but hey that hasnt worked.

Its bitter and hard but PHCN has to go, that parastatal has to be sold off. Am calling for its dissolution, it should be divided and allowed to keep only distribution (pray its able to handle that), the technicalities of generation has proved too dificult, today its watertoday, tomorrow its Gas, it lacks the technical competence and can't be bothered to improve. The solution of creating a level playing ground can't work with PHCN the way it is, the cost of entry is too high and not attractive to the investor.
Re: Energy Policy: Non-existent In Nigeria? by mrpataki(m): 11:50pm On Nov 16, 2007
buluti:

Nice discussion so far, but the point is that without the privatisation or selling off PHCN what i call Kill, the energy sector electricity will not be attractive to investors.

For the telecomms sector to have succeeded, the new entrants didnt need any inputs from NITEL as they started their operations from scratch. With electricity its not so, theres a national grid and distribution lines, PHCN does it all now, and has not been able to achieve anything. Yes its all we have now, but if its failed why should we hold on to it. Its operating as a so called commercialised ventrue (from the days of privatisation and commercialisation by IBB) its commercialisation element just means that the govt reduced funding and asked the parastaatals to increase cost of its products to make more money, but hey that hasnt worked.

Its bitter and hard but PHCN has to go, that parastatal has to be sold off. Am calling for its dissolution, it should be divided and allowed to keep only distribution (pray its able to handle that), the technicalities of generation has proved too dificult, today its watertoday, tomorrow its Gas, it lacks the technical competence and can't be bothered to improve. The solution of creating a level playing ground can't work with PHCN the way it is, the cost of entry is too high and not attractive to the investor.

I still do not agree with you, dissolution of PHCN does not pave way for efficient power generation and usage for Nigeria. Let it be still functional as it is, but give room for independent power distributors to come into play, create their own level playing ground and the Government acts as a yardstick for regulating and monitoring their various activities and operations.

This is where we need Energy Policy for the nation, which at the moment is not existing. Creating well designed modules for Energy Usage and Energy efficiency gadgets without the adequate policy instruments in play is just a ballyhoo which is well noted with Nigeria over the years.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2 Killed In Herdsman Attack In Benue / NIGERIAN ENGINEERS: A Lawyer Heading Power Sector, Works & Housing / Did Nnamdi Kanu Start Radio Biafra After Buhari’s Victory? PICTURES.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.