Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,272 members, 7,780,607 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:31 PM

Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng (7841 Views)

Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? / How A Guy Was Fired By One Of The Biggest Oil Companies In Nigeria / She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Eziachi: 1:12pm On May 14, 2012
In the last one year, my health has taken a big hit and practically on a chair now, hoping it will be temporary. Despite many orthopaedic surgeries, I had to go into knife again last Wednesday to have my root valves fixed and my very much dilleting aorta needs changed. It was a success according to my surgeon, who also is my partner in the practice.
This morning I was doing a brief walk with the physiotherapy as I hold her hand for support on the corridor and that was when I overheard a conversation between the hospital cleaner (a lady) and an inpatient frail on guy who just had a hip replacement as I later learnt.
This what I heard:
Cleaner (With an aggressive booming voice: What was that on the floor?
Patient (Probably half asleep: Am sorry, beg your pardon?
Cleaner: I said what was that on the floor, your urine or water?
Patient (confused, stammering) I don't real know, my pants seems dry, am terribly sorry!
Cleaner: Can you sit over there,I want to move the bed, mind your foot (with chewing gum in her mouth)

I could not believe what I had just witnessed and both myself and the physio lady, who knew who I was, was looking at each other in amazement. I gently knock on the door and went in. I ask the cleaner, if there is any particular substance on the floor that she doesn't clean? To be harassing/embarrassing a frail old man at 7.30 in the morning?
She looked at me in my pyjamas and said, what has it got to do with me busy body? Mind your business (It was then I that I knew she must be a Nigerian with the busybody lingo thing)
The old patient sat there confused but relieved, doesn't know whom I am and neither was the cleaner as she carried on. I went back to my room and then told the physio not to discuss what just happened with anyone and I was straight on the phone with my son and the third partner and told them what happened, that I want that lady fired in the next 10 mins and I was annoyed when they told me that they don't know her as a person and our HR might do because we use agency cleaners, Now losing my cool, I demanded that the cleaning company she belonged to be fired and let them start the process hiring, training our own in-house cleaners, whom you knew who they are and where they live.

Eventually against two young partners who thinks they knew better, I got my way. The cleaning company's contract has now been terminated with immediate effect without any legal bust up. For now the staff had to be temporary cleaners, until we get at least 4 in house cleaners. This business was my brain child, which I had sacrificed a lot in the last ten years and won't have anybody mess it up. Now over to you.

8 Likes

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Beaf: 1:17pm On May 14, 2012
You did well. A lot of Nigerians are wicked to both fellow Nigerians and to others.
Imagine a cleaner asking a patient what was on the floor! Was she not being paid to clean?! angry

90% of Nigeria's problems stem from our societal values and attitudes.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Eziachi: 1:21pm On May 14, 2012
Thank you, I feel better already grin
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Afam4eva(m): 1:27pm On May 14, 2012
Beaf:

90% of Nigeria's problems stem from our societal values and attitudes.
Spot on.

@Eziachi
You did the right thing. Some people are better off out of job and replaced with people who really cherish the job they're been paid to do. I personally won't have any problem sacking any wicked staff especially in a hospital. I despise people treating others like trash.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by orekinky: 1:53pm On May 14, 2012
Eziachi: In the last one year, my health has taken a big hit and practically on a chair now, hoping it will be temporary. Despite many orthopaedic surgeries, I had to go into knife again last Wednesday to have my root valves fixed and my very much dilleting aorta needs changed. It was a success according to my surgeon, who also is my partner in the practice.
This morning I was doing a brief walk with the physiotherapy as I hold her hand for support on the corridor and that was when I overheard a conversation between the hospital cleaner (a lady) and an inpatient frail on guy who just had a hip replacement as I later learnt.
This what I heard:
Patient (confused, stammering) I don't real know, my pants seems dry, am terribly sorry!
Cleaner: Can you sit over there,I want to move the bed, mind your foot (with chewing gum in her mouth)

I could not believe what I had just witnessed and both myself and the physio lady, who knew who I was, was looking at each other in amazement. I gently knock on the door and went in. I ask the cleaner, if there is any particular substance on the floor that she doesn't clean? To be harassing/embarrassing a frail old man at 7.30 in the morning?
She looked at me in my pyjamas and said, what has it got to do with me busy body? Mind your business (It was then I that I knew she must be a Nigerian with the busybody lingo thing)
The old patient sat there confused but relieved, doesn't know whom I am and neither was the cleaner as she carried on. I went back to my room and then told the physio not to discuss what just happened with anyone and I was straight on the phone with my son and the third partner and told them what happened, that I want that lady fired in the next 10 mins and I was annoyed when they told me that they don't know her as a person and our HR might do because we use agency cleaners, Now losing my cool, I demanded that the cleaning company she belonged to be fired and let them start the process hiring, training our own in-house cleaners, whom you knew who they are and where they live.

Eventually against two young partners who thinks they knew better, I got my way. The cleaning company's contract has now been terminated with immediate effect without any legal bust up. For now the staff had to be temporary cleaners, until we get at least 4 in house cleaners. This business was my brain child, which I had sacrificed a lot in the last ten years and won't have anybody mess it up. Now over to you.
. That serves her right, honestly get cool with ur decision.,
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Ibime(m): 2:12pm On May 14, 2012
Eziachi,

First of all, my sincere prayers for your return to full health. You are one of my cherished elders on NL.

Second of all,

It is very necessary to sack underperforming staff. . . however. . .

You shoulda got the cleaning company to redeploy the lady and put them on final warning before withdrawing the contract. The owner of the cleaning company is a business man just like you and the actions of this lady cost the company fixed income even though they had little jurisdiction over the ladies actions. If contracts were torn up everytime an employee misbehaves, nobody would have any contracts in UK. You have to raise complaints with the company and they will deal with the lady themselves. If they continue sending substandard staff, then you hammer them.

10 Likes

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Dede1(m): 2:21pm On May 14, 2012
Eziachi: In the last one year, my health has taken a big hit and practically on a chair now, hoping it will be temporary. Despite many orthopaedic surgeries, I had to go into knife again last Wednesday to have my root valves fixed and my very much dilleting aorta needs changed. It was a success according to my surgeon, who also is my partner in the practice.
This what I heard:

Bros, you acted with a hasty wit and what I should call borderline irrationality. The clearing company you and partners contracted should have been given a stipulated time frame of notice or you would have request the particular lady cleaner be terminated or transferred out of your premises. Since you run a healthcare service, you would not want a contract you enacted with government or private sources to be terminated because of bonehead attitude from one of your nurses.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Gepheral: 2:24pm On May 14, 2012
Ibime: Eziachi,

First of all, my sincere prayers for your return to full health. You are one of my cherished elders on NL.

Second of all,

You shoulda got the cleaning company to redeploy the lady and put them on final warning before withdrawing the contract. The owner of the cleaning company is a business man just like you and the actions of this lady cost the company fixed income even though they had little jurisdiction over the ladies actions. If contracts were torn up everytime an employee misbehaves, nobody would have any contracts in UK. You have to raise complaints with the company and they will deal with the lady themselves. If they continue sending substandard staff, then you hammer them.

Seconded..
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by chuks49(m): 2:27pm On May 14, 2012
I must commend you for not overlooking the unruly behaviour in your hospital, and am sure this will send a strong message to your other employees that certain behaviour are not welcomed.

Whenever I see people behaving badly in their place of work I always blame their management for not doing enough in checking the excesses of their employees.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Rich4god(m): 2:27pm On May 14, 2012

Second of all,

You just spoke my mind. Well said.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by ndidibabe(f): 2:32pm On May 14, 2012
Gepheral:

Seconded..
thirded.

1 Like

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by crackhouse(m): 2:39pm On May 14, 2012
I suggest u deal with the girl directly instead of the company. In every twelve, there is always a judas. The bad eggs are likely to be found in the midst of the good ones and that does not mean that all the eggs are bad. Instead of disposing off the whole eggs, it's better you dispose the bad ones and leave the good ones. Sir i suggest u call back the company and issue them a final warning incase of next time. Come to think of it, if u are the owner of the cleaning company i am sure u will feel bad abt the sack. Give them a second chance pls. Get well too.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by tunes2k10(m): 2:43pm On May 14, 2012
well, I've never...... now it's so unfortunate the cleaner is ill-mannered and so bad that the cleaner could not be fished out but most painful is the fact that cleaner did cost some other innocent and well - mannered cleaners their jobs. God protect me from sharing from other man's punishment
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by andyanders: 2:57pm On May 14, 2012
What you did is the best option and even God Almighty would have even punished you if you had not terminated that idiot's appointment. I have said it that we in this part of the world or Nigerians, has kind of mental problem. Even when you go to most government hospitals here and find out how the staff talk to people, you will feel ashamed of this country.

Anyway, you did the right thing.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by lurkee(f): 2:58pm On May 14, 2012
I am sorry to hear about your health and I truly wish you a full recovery.

However, I think you felt something - maybe regret?. I echo the feelings of others in saying that you should have let the woman know what she did wrong and then call the cleaning company to complain about the employee. I think they might have not even minded if you asked for the woman to never return instead of terminating their contract. Also, you could have demanded for training in by force customer service oyinbo style cheesy

I feel bad for the innocents who lost their job and the rude woman who probably doesn't know it is her fault and she might never change and carry over such manners to the next job.

What is that saying of spilt milk? cool In my opinion, it would be somehow to go back on your decision. It might make you seem unreliable given the strings you pulled. Good luck.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by sholasys: 3:03pm On May 14, 2012
Na wa ooo!!!, This is unprofessional at all. How did you engaged the business with the cleaner company? Was there any service level agreement (SLA)or contractual documents ? Contracts are usually base on timeline and terminating it abruptly must be stipulated and reason for doing so. Do you run an organised HR ? or One man business-like. How long has the cleaner company be working with you clinic ? do they have any service quality issue before. Will you pay them compensation ?. power tend to corrupt, and Absolute power corrupt absolutely. Madam may God for give you. If i am the MD of the company will institute case against you. HABA!!! How many pple have you render jobless bc of one sily girl. Pls reinstate them back else ........
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Kizilala: 3:05pm On May 14, 2012
Nice one.I hope your health gets much better
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by SweetSex(m): 3:16pm On May 14, 2012

First of all, my sincere prayer s for your return to full health. You are one of my cherished elders on NL.

Second of all,

waoh, I neva eva belif dis type of respond will be seen on NL, a matured respond. It is nt gud 2 destroy d whole mouth simply becos of a roteen tooth, beta remove d tooth & ask d mouth to chew wit caution.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Nobody: 3:44pm On May 14, 2012
crackhouse: I suggest u deal with the girl directly instead of the company. In every twelve, there is always a judas. The bad eggs are likely to be found in the midst of the good ones and that does not mean that all the eggs are bad. Instead of disposing off the whole eggs, it's better you dispose the bad ones and leave the good ones. Sir i suggest u call back the company and issue them a final warning incase of next time. Come to think of it, if u are the owner of the cleaning company i am sure u will feel bad abt the sack. Give them a second chance pls. Get well too.

Well said
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by stagger: 4:15pm On May 14, 2012
OP,

You did very well. That lady could have put you in trouble if the patient had sued for harassment or something.

I have had to tell off an Operations Manager of UBA when all their bulk teller staff went to eat at the same time, leaving so many customers stranded in a hot banking hall without a functioning a/c. Some people do not know their jobs. It is not by force to work in a job you can't do or do not like.

1 Like

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by violent(m): 4:16pm On May 14, 2012
sholasys: Na wa ooo!!!, This is unprofessional at all. How did you engaged the business with the cleaner company? Was there any service level agreement (SLA)or contractual documents ? Contracts are usually base on timeline and terminating it abruptly must be stipulated and reason for doing so. Do you run an organised HR ? or One man business-like. How long has the cleaner company be working with you clinic ? do they have any service quality issue before. Will you pay them compensation ?. power tend to corrupt, and Absolute power corrupt absolutely. Madam may God for give you. If i am the MD of the company will institute case against you. HABA!!! How many pple have you render jobless bc of one sily girl. Pls reinstate them back else ........

What rubbish are you spewing? So you understand that contracts can be terminated abruptly given that the reason for doing so is well stipulated....and something does not click in your head that bad service could be enough reason?

The cleaner company has a responsibility to ensure that all their staff are well trained to deliver the highest standards and quality of their service, anything short of this is their responsibility as well. The cleaner company is being paid to deliver an agreed service...and if you are not satisfied with the quality of service being delivered, you are well within you right to severe relationships with them!!!...compensation? what stooopid compensation?

How many people has he rendered jobless? who gives a shyt? undecided If in the unlikely case that healthcare regulators have happened to pay an unscheduled check on the clinic and they were privy to the conversation, who do you suppose would be at risk losing their license?

2 Likes

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Kockane(m): 4:20pm On May 14, 2012
sholasys: Na wa ooo!!!, This is unprofessional at all. How did you engaged the business with the cleaner company? Was there any service level agreement (SLA)or contractual documents ? Contracts are usually base on timeline and terminating it abruptly must be stipulated and reason for doing so. Do you run an organised HR ? or One man business-like. How long has the cleaner company be working with you clinic ? do they have any service quality issue before. Will you pay them compensation ?. power tend to corrupt, and Absolute power corrupt absolutely. Madam may God for give you. If i am the MD of the company will institute case against you. HABA!!! How many pple have you render jobless bc of one sily girl. Pls reinstate them back else ........

Else what I don't think you've had first hand experience of how these lowly cleaners treat people just because they are are ill. Like lepers. I strongly support the OP on this one, it would act as a deterent to odaz. Not everybody gets a second chance, even in d bible, dere are people who messed up and got immediate judgement. Its his business (at least he is a major stakeholder) he reserves the ryt to make decisions as he deems fit and not allow sentiments becloud his judgement. Do you consider ow many potential clients dey've lost due to this nauseating attitude of d cleanin staff? @OP, kudos, I imagine how much better Nigeria would be if we had principled and disciplined folks like you in power.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by moderattor: 4:26pm On May 14, 2012
@OP u wasted your authority, phone credit, son's time and time spent on signing that cleaning contract.

You didnt solve the problem.
No one knew why you sacked her except you.
If you have ever been a low life hospital cleaner in the past, you may understand why she acts the way she does. Your duty was to correct her.
You would have gingered and swargered in front of the girl.
Called her employer, gingered even more and put them on a contract revocation threat for 48hrs.
She would be your best cleaner after that. And that patient would carry your reputation every where.
But you chose to be wicked.
You didnt feel a thing?
Of course, wicked people dont. Just like she.

1 Like

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Kockane(m): 4:34pm On May 14, 2012
moderattor: @OP u wasted your authority, phone credit, son's time and time spent on signing that cleaning contract.
You didnt solve the problem.
You would have gingered and swargered in front of the girl.
Called her employer, gingered even more and put them on a contract revocation threat for 48hrs.
She would be your best cleaner after that. And that patient would carry your reputation every where.
But you chose to be wicked.
You didnt feel a thing?
Of course, wicked people dont. Just like she.
Wicked, you say? You are a foolish kid. I believe if given the opportunity to contribute on this same topic in 10yrs tym, you'd have sumfn better to say.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Pennywise(m): 4:39pm On May 14, 2012
@OP
Have I fired anyone? Ha ha. I have been doing that like forever but I have to say that your action over the instant matter may have been a bit extreme. If you do that to your in-house staff over the same offence it can cause insecurity, compromise confidence, morale and ultimately productivity. It is enough for them to know that there is a cutlass hidden somewhere and that you have no issues about using it.

Should you call this person back? Absolutely not. If you do, respect goes out the window and this is not good for you or your business. Life is not always fair. Your cutting them loose might be the open door they need in their lives.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by moderattor: 4:42pm On May 14, 2012
Kockane:
Wicked, you say? You are a foolish kid. I believe if given the opportunity to contribute on this same topic in 10yrs tym, you'd have sumfn better to say.
you over did it, accept it.
To be wicked, you dont have to break the rule, just enforce it to the letter when there is a kinder alternative.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Xtfield(m): 4:43pm On May 14, 2012
I've had to fire many staff in my 20 years experience as an administrator. I don't enjoy doing it but I've discovered in most cases that such staff deserve to be fired. I cannot cope with indolent and late-coming staff.
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by norrisman: 4:45pm On May 14, 2012
What a plonker you are! What the woman did in no way warrants firing her let alone terminating the contract of the cleaning company. The woman asked a valid question as water and human waste are not disposed off in the same manner. Did you expect her to taste the liquid to find out what it is. I am not absolving the woman of blame but you have exhibited the same aggressive and rude Nigerian charateristics shown by the woman.

In any reputable organisation, the woman should have received at most a final written warning and put on retraining instead you abrubtly end a contract thereby punishing at least 5 people for the 'crime' of 1.

I hope you take a long look at yourself while you are sat there in your wheelchair.

Again, you are a complete tosser
Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Eziachi: 4:51pm On May 14, 2012
Just woke up to look at some of your posts. As an elderly man, who is a father, grandfather, husband e.t.c I did reflect on the impact of my actions on everyone involved before terminating the contract.
We were fortunate that we had it inserted in the contract that disrespect to our customers will result in tearing the contracts without any advance warning.

Cleaning business is one of those businesses, very easy to start this days in England and make quick loads of money without having to do much to your customers and staff.
One thing I had learned from my father was, never to allow sentiment to over crowd your sense of business decisions or you are finished.
I watched my father while growing up, sacked my mum's own brother once. And my parents did not speak to each other for weeks, until my mum realised that my dad did value his reputable employees more than her lousy brother who does nothing but bosses people about because the company belongs to his in-law. So when he was booted out, it sent a message to everybody in the business, to shape up or you are out.

In this case, I made my mind up when I realised that we are paying this company £25 (pounds sterling) per hour/per cleaner (including VAT) to supply us with six cleaners per week.
And from my understanding, they are just paying their workers just above the minimum wage. And all this while, whenever I am at the hospital, all I do witness or sees are just this people doing nothing but chat among themselves without doing much.

Now I believe directly recruiting and employing four (4) in-house full time cleaners will do far better job and get paid better. With inclusive package of a free healthcare and they can nominated 3 other members of their own families resident in the U.K. Plus a 21 days full paid holiday entitlement like the sui white collar co-workers.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by superior1: 4:54pm On May 14, 2012
The fact you reflected on your actions show maturity. You should have just called the company tell them what the woman did, ask them to remove her and give the company a last warning on supplying such rude staff.

1 Like

Re: Have You Fired Anyone? How Do You Feel Afterwards? I Did & I Don't Feel Anythng by Kayuzze1: 4:57pm On May 14, 2012
First, before i pass any comment on this issue, I rili want 2 know if this is the 1st tym a staff of the company wil behave in such a rude manner?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Reasons Your Boss Wants You Out Of The Job / 9 Management Lessons From Atedo Peterside / What Is The Hope Of Nigerians With Our Government Trade Test Certificate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.