Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,879 members, 7,798,945 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:40 PM

Joining The US Army - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Joining The US Army (11383 Views)

Poll:

This poll has ended

Police vs Army: Who Earns More? / Army, Navy,airforce,nia,npf,sss,customs,ndlea Which Has A Better Career Growth? / Salary In The Nigerian Army? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joining The US Army by Maryky(f): 12:56am On May 15, 2012
Hi guys on NL,I recently moved into USA about seven months ago.the first two months I met a friend who encourage me to join the Army. I was a bit reluctant about it,but finally I made up my mind to join the Army.Now its time to go for the Basic Training and the fear of getting deployed after the training is within.I talk to some of my friends some said NO,while some said yes you can go.Since you are not the first or the last person to go.Others get deployed and they make it back.fellow Pals IM confused and don't know what to do.please I need your candid advice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joining The US Army by OYINBOGOJU(m): 1:05pm On May 16, 2012
Since you have started,i wont advise you to give up.

But get some point here,its a true story of what happened here in Japan.

One american Navy took taxi from Shinagawa to Yokosuka
He has no cash to pay and so tender Credit card
The credit card didn't work and so it became problem between him and the old taxi driver.
In the course of the argument he brought out a knife and cut the old taxi drivers neck.
well after the investigation they found out that the guy belong to Navy but still using Nigerian Passport.
The Japanese pronounce him as a Nigerian,not as an American because they don't want it settled diplomatically and also the Navy has the right to deal with him in their own way,even though Japanese government might pronounce their own judgment but the fact is America Government will rather deal with him in a navy way.

Well Nigeria Embassy accepted the shame and this really got the Nigerian community furious.

The guy now is in Japanese prison because he is a Nigerian, no American passport yet.

My Point

If you are still using Nigerian Passport,please becareful because it might be hard for you to claim your right should incase anything happen to you.

Be wise and Smart

3 Likes

Re: Joining The US Army by maclatunji: 1:08pm On May 16, 2012
I think the American Army has low entry level requirements outside the physical.
Re: Joining The US Army by OYINBOGOJU(m): 3:22am On May 17, 2012
maclatunji: I think the American Army has low entry level requirements outside the physical.

Yeah that is one way of getting the crooks off the street.
Another way to get over-stay a responsible valid stay.
Lastly It is a modern way of creating job for slaves they got through lottery.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joining The US Army by moremi2008(m): 4:25am On May 17, 2012
I would caution you before joining the army. There is a reason why American citizens aren't signing-up in droves! Are you thinking about joining for the pay? the papers? If you answers to any of this is yes, then you are better off directing your hustle elsewhere. It's a lot of pain and there is the very real possibility of death.

1 Like

Re: Joining The US Army by OYINBOGOJU(m): 4:52am On May 17, 2012
If you see them in Japan,they have pride more than the president

In the club ordinary $10 Corona beer they can not buy

2 Likes

Re: Joining The US Army by moremi2008(m): 5:26am On May 17, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: If you see them in Japan,they have pride more than the president

In the club ordinary $10 Corona beer they can not buy

To be completely honest, most low-level military men and women are recruited from the poorest neighborhoods and backgrounds. They are only "forming" in Japan because they are in uniform and have the backing of the most powerful government in the world. In the US unfortunately, they are nobodies. This is the sad reality.

2 Likes

Re: Joining The US Army by 19naia(m): 6:42am On May 19, 2012
I grew up in nigeria and i also in USA,i am dual citizen since birth my mother USA oyinbo and my father nigerian by birth and his origins...i did 3 years in the US ARMY there and i did not do it for the citizenship needs,i joined as a citizen for the money for university and many other things....i did not have to go to war,and neither did one of my mates in training who still lost one arm and both legs in aircraft accident..we enlisted as basic infantry the front fighting force and trained from hand weapons to bombs to jumping from aircraft..it was from aircraft jump in ordinary trainig -not in war, that accident happened.. jet fighter missed the landing and wiped out his jump crew boarding the C140...It is the lowest score to get to infantry and i got high score,my friend got low score but i still chose infantry because my highscore was put aside by my poor vision by color blindness...but with my high score in infantry,i recieved special selction to be part of the guard for the president of the united states(during clintons office).i was so happy to not go to war..there are so many non war field jobs in the army,but for those with high scores...HIGH scores can make it easy for you even among ranks where low score is required....But military is military...I was working on the personal detail crew for the president and the prestige was lavish but strict hard work with the ease of no war...we covered all dignitary visits to the whitehouse and the pentagon..even so as safe and luxury as it sounds,i am glad i am not burned down inside the pentagon when Al quieda blew it up...In this day and age,dont underestimate the risk you can be in in the US military despite if you dont go to war front and do recieve the best benefits...they will cover all your food with very good restuarant style dinner hall 3 times a day for free and you can eat as much as you like,they will pay all your medical needs no matter how small,your toilet will even have the toilet paper and soap provided and if you can live simply,you may never need to spend any of your modest pay check...many of the enlisted soldiers come from the poor streets of america and bring that recklessnes with them being gangster like in off duty time and drunken and just all the wildness of mind- but with added danger of military pride and power......i dont care to go again,even to be on presidents detail,but i am glad what they gave me,any damages i incurred even on 3 year duty tour with no time at the war front,they still give me a medical condition based pension for life...i can only be happy my problems are not like my training mate who lost 1 arm and 2 legs and he also never went to war,we were in the same army training and 3 years later we met at the same army hospital(Walter reed army medical center DC)...Good luck mate and its a brave man or brave and foolish man who goes and you can overcome if its the plan..part of my duty was funerals for the army in washington DC national cemetary arlington...i did over 1000 army funerals in 2 years and i was part of just 1 small team among many army teams doing funerals from 2 to 5 days a week..most were retired men who died old age,some young died in accidents on holiday or shot by their old gang mates when they went home to visit mother and told the gang ""i am in the army now so i cant run with you no more"..A few died from the conflict zone in somalia and yugoslavia area......good on you mate and my words here are a story to inform you and not advise to say you should or should not go...american citizenship is built upon people dying for american interest.so if you join to become citizen,it is only the american way to put your life at risk to keep america safe...Some american war fronts are not justified but that will not be your right to comment once you sign up...good on you mate...

11 Likes

Re: Joining The US Army by 19naia(m): 6:54am On May 19, 2012
i forgot to add..When making the oath to be american military;you must pledge to obey all commands to you under the president of USA under penalty of prison and more...Also included is you must pledge all your rights of nationality to the USA..Even if you join as Nigerian,you must renounce your commitment to your country even in the event that USA goes to war against nigeria....I joined army as US and Nigerian dual citizen and i had to Pledge to abandon my nationaliy to nigeria in all its meaning for the duration of my contract with the US army.....if nigeria does end up in conflict with USA,they do also make special conditions to have you choose to stay in the army or to be dismissed for the best interest of the US army,,There is a clause about the army having the right to dismiss some one for no reason other than the armys own needs and it entails that the army will pay you around ten thousand dollars to get lost,,it could be more,i was there over 15 years ago...

5 Likes

Re: Joining The US Army by Maryky(f): 11:54pm On May 21, 2012
Thank you ,I appreciate your advice.
Re: Joining The US Army by Wallie(m): 3:48pm On May 22, 2012
If you're about to go to Basic Training, I would think you've already taken the ASVAB and probably signed a contract? Hopefully, you scored high enough not to be in the infantry except if that's what you want to do. A you probably already know, a high score increases your chances of getting one of the coveted specialty jobs that might not put you directly in harms way, at least not infantry-type of way.

I almost joined in the 90s but chickened out last minute. grin If I were to join today, I would only join the Air Force because they do all the fighting from a distance and the enemy playing field is not as level as compared to having boots on the ground.

My advice is to save your money and make good use of your GI bill if you join. Good luck!

2 Likes

Re: Joining The US Army by ibroh22(m): 10:54am On Oct 01, 2016
19naia:
i forgot to add..When making the oath to be american military;you must pledge to obey all commands to you under the president of USA under penalty of prison and more...Also included is you must pledge all your rights of nationality to the USA..Even if you join as Nigerian,you must renounce your commitment to your country even in the event that USA goes to war against nigeria....I joined army as US and Nigerian dual citizen and i had to Pledge to abandon my nationaliy to nigeria in all its meaning for the duration of my contract with the US army.....if nigeria does end up in conflict with USA,they do also make special conditions to have you choose to stay in the army or to be dismissed for the best interest of the US army,,There is a clause about the army having the right to dismiss some one for no reason other than the armys own needs and it entails that the army will pay you around ten thousand dollars to get lost,,it could be more,i was there over 15 years ago...
nice contribution sir,,,,but I will like to join the US army because I think they are in best position to train me on how to be a sniper,,I like to be a sniper,,,am not joining because of green card or thereabout but my passion to be a sniper,,, please enlighten me more sir and how can I join,,I currently based in Nigeria
Re: Joining The US Army by 19naia(m): 6:07pm On Oct 01, 2016
ibroh22:

nice contribution sir,,,,but I will like to join the US army because I think they are in best position to train me on how to be a sniper,,I like to be a sniper,,,am not joining because of green card or thereabout but my passion to be a sniper,,, please enlighten me more sir and how can I join,,I currently based in Nigeria

You have to be in USA to join. It is not diplomatically polite to recruit people from within the sovreignty of a foriegn country. Its up there with international espionage actions.
You have to first be in USA and then you can apply to join. To be a sniper, you have to join the Infantry which have branches in the Army and Marines. Army is a broader department to serve in, while Marines will expose you to Naval operations life where the Army is not involved. Infantry are the ground fighting forces and they would also make up the special forces units that also use snipers. You have to join as regular infantry and work your way up to sniper school. A sepcial enlistment contract to sniper school is possible, but you will have to prove yourself first in basic training and advanced infantry training before being accepted to sniper school. I never heard of a new infantry graduate being accepted to sniper school because there is no shortage of older and more experienced infantry soldiers looking for the rare slot to be a sniper.
Infantry has many specialty schools such as sniper school, helicopter rope decent school(air assault), airborne parachute school, pathfinder school, mechanized light tank school, long range fire such as mortar and special light missile systems like the ones fired from the shoulder position.
If you enlist as a non commissioned soldier, you will have a better chance at becoming a sniper. If you have university education, you may be able to enlist at a higher rank and paygrade or be accepted to commisioned officer candidate school. A commisioned officer may command over snipers but it is rare to see a commisioned officer being the actual sniper in field of combat. Infantry value university education and prefer commisioned officers who started their infantry career as enlisted soldiers with experience in both tiers of service.
University education your best asset toward getting visa to go to USA and is also your best asset towards getting rewarded in military service in USA. Many Nigeria university credits may not be accepted in USA but the military will pay for you to take USA university courses while you are in service. So you can actually earn a USA bachelors or Masters or PhD while in the USA military and they will pay for it but you have to also be sure to contract your service with an education bonus so as to get maximum education benefit frm the military. Military contracts are normally signed with included bonuses such as cash sums after a period of years of service, or education fund package. They are usually above $20k per service and the combat role units during war time can be contracts with much higher bonuses. If you go to combat, you will get additional pay added to basic salary and that will be combat pay, danger pay per assignment, TDY and possibly other things these days in addition to tax exemption during combat.

Above all, you have to be in USA first, even as a tourist or student, and then you can change your status of stay in the country via military contract. They cannot accept you from within Nigeria as a Nigerian with no solid ties to USA. You can always try your luck and apply for visa in Nigeria and state your reason as intent to serve in the USA military. The worst that can happen is they deny you and give you a reason, and you waste $161.oo, and then you can always apply again in the future.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joining The US Army by ibroh22(m): 6:51pm On Oct 01, 2016
19naia:

You have to be in USA to join. It is not diplomatically polite to recruit people from within the sovreignty of a foriegn country. Its up there with international espionage actions.
You have to first be in USA and then you can apply to join. To be a sniper, you have to join the Infantry which have branches in the Army and Marines. Army is a broader department to serve in, while Marines will expose you to Naval operations life where the Army is not involved. Infantry are the ground fighting forces and they would also make up the special forces units that also use snipers. You have to join as regular infantry and work your way up to sniper school. A sepcial enlistment contract to sniper school is possible, but you will have to prove yourself first in basic training and advanced infantry training before being accepted to sniper school. I never heard of a new infantry graduate being accepted to sniper school because there is no shortage of older and more experienced infantry soldiers looking for the rare slot to be a sniper.
Infantry has many specialty schools such as sniper school, helicopter rope decent school(air assault), airborne parachute school, pathfinder school, mechanized light tank school, long range fire such as mortar and special light missile systems like the ones fired from the shoulder position.
If you enlist as a non commissioned soldier, you will have a better chance at becoming a sniper. If you have university education, you may be able to enlist at a higher rank and paygrade or be accepted to commisioned officer candidate school. A commisioned officer may command over snipers but it is rare to see a commisioned officer being the actual sniper in field of combat. Infantry value university education and prefer commisioned officers who started their infantry career as enlisted soldiers with experience in both tiers of service.
University education your best asset toward getting visa to go to USA and is also your best asset towards getting rewarded in military service in USA. Many Nigeria university credits may not be accepted in USA but the military will pay for you to take USA university courses while you are in service. So you can actually earn a USA bachelors or Masters or PhD while in the USA military and they will pay for it but you have to also be sure to contract your service with an education bonus so as to get maximum education benefit frm the military. Military contracts are normally signed with included bonuses such as cash sums after a period of years of service, or education fund package. They are usually above $20k per service and the combat role units during war time can be contracts with much higher bonuses. If you go to combat, you will get additional pay added to basic salary and that will be combat pay, danger pay per assignment, TDY and possibly other things these days in addition to tax exemption during combat.

Above all, you have to be in USA first, even as a tourist or student, and then you can change your status of stay in the country via military contract. They cannot accept you from within Nigeria as a Nigerian with no solid ties to USA. You can always try your luck and apply for visa in Nigeria and state your reason as intent to serve in the USA military. The worst that can happen is they deny you and give you a reason, and you waste $161.oo, and then you can always apply again in the future.
wow!!!!!,,, thanks,this is helpful,,,,,,,I will try my luck one day,when am through with my NYSC here in Nigeria because am a university graduate and have enough money to pursue the visa and other travelling document

2 Likes

Re: Joining The US Army by Gab27: 11:12pm On Oct 05, 2016
19naia:

kindly send me your emai id.
Re: Joining The US Army by wabsky: 3:11pm On Aug 05, 2017
please am planning to join d US marine nd just acquire my diploma here in Nigeria
Re: Joining The US Army by stacyadams: 6:21pm On Oct 24, 2017
nice thread...

1 Like

Re: Joining The US Army by Dasilva10: 1:18pm On Dec 17, 2017
Thank you all for being helpful, most especially @9naia. I won't give up as I strive to sign up for a country worth dying for. I will be happy to defend the God's own country someday. #USArmy a childhood Dream.
Re: Joining The US Army by Dolapo873: 8:51pm On Sep 29, 2018
[quote author=19naia post=10861793]I grew up in nigeria and i also in USA,i am dual citizen since birth my mother USA oyinbo and my father nigerian by birth and his origins...i did 3 years in the US ARMY there and i did not do it for the citizenship needs,i joined as a citizen for the money for university and many other things....i did not have to go to war,and neither did one of my mates in training who still lost one arm and both legs in aircraft accident..we enlisted as basic infantry the front fighting force and trained from hand weapons to bombs to jumping from aircraft..it was from aircraft jump in ordinary trainig -not in war, that accident happened.. jet fighter missed the landing and wiped out his jump crew boarding the C140...It is the lowest score to get to infantry and i got high score,my friend got low score but i still chose infantry because my highscore was put aside by my poor vision by color blindness...but with my high score in infantry,i recieved special selction to be part of the guard for the president of the united states(during clintons office).i was so happy to not go to war..there are so many non war field jobs in the army,but for those with high scores...HIGH scores can make it easy for you even among ranks where low score is required....But military is military...I was working on the personal detail crew for the president and the prestige was lavish but strict hard work with the ease of no war...we covered all dignitary visits to the whitehouse and the pentagon..even so as safe and luxury as it sounds,i am glad i am not burned down inside the pentagon when Al quieda blew it up...In this day and age,dont underestimate the risk you can be in in the US military despite if you dont go to war front and do recieve the best benefits...they will cover all your food with very good restuarant style dinner hall 3 times a day for free and you can eat as much as you like,they will pay all your medical needs no matter how small,your toilet will even have the toilet paper and soap provided and if you can live simply,you may never need to spend any of your modest pay check...many of the enlisted soldiers come from the poor streets of america and bring that recklessnes with them being gangster like in off duty time and drunken and just all the wildness of mind- but with added danger of military pride and power......i dont care to go again,even to be on presidents detail,but i am glad what they gave me,any damages i incurred even on 3 year duty tour with no time at the war front,they still give me a medical condition based pension for life...i can only be happy my problems are not like my training mate who lost 1 arm and 2 legs and he also never went to war,we were in the same army training and 3 years later we met at the same army hospital(Walter reed army medical center DC)...Good luck mate and its a brave man or brave and foolish man who goes and you can overcome if its the plan..part of my duty was funerals for the army in washington DC national cemetary arlington...i did over 1000 army funerals in 2 years and i was part of just 1 small team among many army teams doing funerals from 2 to 5 days a week..most were retired men who died old age,some young died in accidents on holiday or shot by their old gang mates when they went home to visit mother and told the gang ""i am in the army now so i cant run with you no more"..A few died from the conflict zone in somalia and yugoslavia area......good on you mate and my words here are a story to inform you and not advise to say you should or should not go...american citizenship is built upon people dying for american interest.so if you join to become citizen,it is only the american way to put your life at risk to keep america safe...Some american war fronts are not justified but that will not be your right to comment once you sign up...good on you mate...[/quote
please is there anyway I can join the united state army from Nigeria .I will be happy if you can put me through or reach me on WhatsApp through +2348132732668
Re: Joining The US Army by MYSELF2018: 9:17pm On Sep 29, 2018
The Good news is here...!!!

January 2019 admission is currently ongoing at Canada, US, UK, Germany and Australia. You can still apply for Undergraduate and Postgraduate studies this year. Kindly send me a pm or send a mail to gboyega.alake@gmail.com for more details.
Thank you
Re: Joining The US Army by Jauntybaba: 5:53pm On Oct 11, 2021

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Job Description Of A Compliance Officer In A Bank? / Pharmaceutical Biochemistry And Pharmacy, Which Is Better. / Shock As 21,780 Kaduna Teachers Fail Primary Four Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.