Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. (11656 Views)

Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) / How To Help A Child To Improve His/her Creative Ability / Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Nobody: 9:36am On May 16, 2012
I'm just wondering if it's right to buy a phone for a 10 year old kid. Lets say there is a need to keep them in touch in case of emergency. That's what any right thinking person would say. But i find it really Odd because my 8 and 10 year Old Nephews both own a phone which they don't even use. They only have it and keep contacts on them. I'm now asking myself if it's right for my sister to buy the phone for them in the first place considering the fact that there's a land line phone at home they can both communicate on.
I don't want to make such mistake with my kids so i am seeking your opinion on this.
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 16, 2012
chipmunkey: I'm just wondering if it's right to buy a phone for a 10 year old kid. Lets say there is a need to keep them in touch in case of emergency. That's what any right thinking person would say. But i find it really Odd because my 8 and 10 year Old Nephews both own a phone which they don't even use. They only have it and keep contacts on them. I'm now asking myself if it's right for my sister to buy the phone for them in the first place considering the fact that there's a land line phone at home they can both communicate on.
I don't want to make such mistake with my kids so i am seeking your opinion on this.

if they are often away from home, and/or on their own, then i think it is safe to have a mobile for emergency and peace of mind (knowing that you can contact them whenever you need to)
as hard as it may be, these days a 10yr old having a mobile is "kinda" the norm. the catch is to give them a shiitty one, and not an Iphone4S or the latest Galaxy!

2 Likes

Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by jmoore(m): 2:05pm On May 16, 2012
are u kidding me? A ten year old with a mobile phone for what? Which emergency? school or home emergency? And there is land line at home. It is not advisable to buy one for him/her.

1 Like

Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Nobody: 2:09pm On May 16, 2012
^^^football practice, field trips, music classes, after class studies, private tutor etc the list is long. yes, some may have a driver that take their kids to school and back home, but many live in a world where their kids are out there in the real world.

anyone who has a kid in the west would certainly understand that.

2 Likes

Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Confilass: 2:21pm On May 16, 2012
My son is just 4yrs old and at 3yrs I bought him a small phone. Starcomms dat we did VPN, he can't call another person on it sometimes he can't even call me but I do call him often. It's cheaper for me rather dan using MTN or other networks. I will load N500 for a month and talk at length or as much as I want with him.

Guess what? My friends told me is bad but I don't look at it dat way.
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Rotmyt: 2:21pm On May 16, 2012
I don't think it is a bad idea, it depends on the purpose it serves.My kid sister got her first phone @ age 10. My mum neither takes her to school nor brings her home. So, all my sister does with the mobile phone is to inform my mum that she's on the bus to school, has gotten to school, at the bus station and on the bus back home.
MRbrownJAY: ^^^football practice, field trips, music classes, after class studies, private tutor etc the list is long. yes, some may have a driver that take their kids to school and back home, but many live in a world where their kids are out there in the real world.

I totally agree with you.

1 Like

Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by blank(f): 2:29pm On May 16, 2012
They do not need mobile phones at 8/10yrs especially if there is a landline. If they need to make an emergency call and they are out of the house, then they should do so from a pay phone. There are many. By that age, they should have crammed every important number they need.

1 Like

Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Fhemmmy: 2:39pm On May 16, 2012
Yes, it is so right and good for a 10 year old to have a Phone.
Even if the Child is always home, it will be nice for the parents to stay in touch with the child . . but the parent must be able to control the usage.

1 Like

Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Nobody: 2:40pm On May 16, 2012
Confilass: My son is just 4yrs old and at 3yrs I bought him a small phone. Starcomms dat we did VPN, he can't call another person on it sometimes he can't even call me but I do call him often. It's cheaper for me rather dan using MTN or other networks. I will load N500 for a month and talk at length or as much as I want with him.

may i ask, how often is your 4yr old on his own out there?! that seem kinda young though.
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Fhemmmy: 2:42pm On May 16, 2012
Rotmyt: I don't think it is a bad idea, it depends on the purpose it serves.My kid sister got her first phone @ age 10. My mum neither takes her to school nor brings her home. So, all my sister does with the mobile phone is to inform my mum that she's on the bus to school, has gotten to school, at the bus station and on the bus back home.
I totally agree with you.

That is a good reason to own a phone
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 16, 2012
chipmunkey: I'm just wondering if it's right to buy a phone for a 10 year old kid. Lets say there is a need to keep them in touch in case of emergency. That's what any right thinking person would say. But i find it really Odd because my 8 and 10 year Old Nephews both own a phone which they don't even use. They only have it and keep contacts on them. I'm now asking myself if it's right for my sister to buy the phone for them in the first place considering the fact that there's a land line phone at home they can both communicate on.
EVERYONE NEEDS A CELLPHONE, PHONE IS NOT A GUN, ITS PHONE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Fhemmmy: 2:43pm On May 16, 2012
LeoMax: EVERYONE NEEDS A CELLPHONE, PHONE IS NOT A GUN, ITS PHONE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE

Not everyone that needs a phone . . It is something to be owned if needs be.

1 Like

Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by rotiroti: 2:46pm On May 16, 2012
so hard to say.......now a days might be something to have for emergency purposes. With all that's going on in the world...it's a hard one...I think for me when my kids are older I would only for the sake of emergencies and what not.
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Bontee: 2:56pm On May 16, 2012
All kids need a cheap dumbphone for communication with parents and guidance and there is absolutely nothing wrong as can be seen from mrbrownjay's posts.
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by walcolm(m): 2:56pm On May 16, 2012
my son is just one year old and i intend for him to be able to operate every communication device known to man before he's 5yrs. he'll also know every phone number, email address and facebook and twitter handles he can reach every member of the family on cool
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by imparable7(m): 2:58pm On May 16, 2012
2 years
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:59pm On May 16, 2012
MRbrownJAY: ^^^football practice, field trips, music classes, after class studies, private tutor etc the list is long. yes, some may have a driver that take their kids to school and back home, but many live in a world where their kids are out there in the real world.

why not phone whoever will be in charge of thw football practice and those field trips etc and besides they should have your number as the parent or guardian not the child of that age
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by toluxa1(m): 3:00pm On May 16, 2012
It actually depends. For example, my younger brother is 15 and my mum bought him a Nokia X2. Up till tomorrow I made it clear to them that its a bad idea. Immediately he comes back from school, first place is to his phone, 2go, chatting. Sometimes I see him online at 12am. The truth is these things are a serious deterrent to the seriousness of our young ones. Many kids failing WAEC and NECO, fail because they are distracted by 2go, whatsapp, facebook, etc.

But if its a touch light for for example just for the purpose of communication, they its allowed.

PS: infact am going to seize that his phone, I don vex.

1 Like

Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by freecocoa(f): 3:03pm On May 16, 2012
Confilass: My son is just 4yrs old and at 3yrs I bought him a small phone. Starcomms dat we did VPN, he can't call another person on it sometimes he can't even call me but I do call him often. It's cheaper for me rather dan using MTN or other networks. I will load N500 for a month and talk at length or as much as I want with him.

Please o,how come you need to talk to your son that much on phone?Does he do the calling too? Is he in a boarding school or what?

I just don't get how a 3 years old kid owns and operates a phone.
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by chardino(m): 3:04pm On May 16, 2012
to my own mind i actually dn't see any thing wrong with a 8 or 10yr old kid to have a phone for emergency sake.
that if they stay away from their parents.......
is a free world them having a phone will cause to harm to them my dear...
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by olempe(m): 3:16pm On May 16, 2012
I think it's too early sir!

1 Like

Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 16, 2012
my child will never use a phone unless he or she is out of secondary school!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Nobody: 3:26pm On May 16, 2012
ZIM DRILL:
why not phone whoever will be in charge of thw football practice and those field trips etc and besides they should have your number as the parent or guardian not the child of that age

hhmmm maybe because they dont just teleport themselves there, they probably have to WALK there, or even use public transport (like school bus)
also, i wonder of what use it would be to call the football coach/tutor etc , if your child isnt there?!

yes, they may ALL have your number but how will that help if the child aint present?!

@Toluxa1
the important question to ask IS: why did your mum bought the phone for exactly? was there even a need to contact the child, if he is either at school or directly home?
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:34pm On May 16, 2012
chardino: to my own mind i actually dn't see any thing wrong with a 8 or 10yr old kid to have a phone for emergency sake.
that if they stay away from their parents.......
is a free world them having a phone will cause to harm to them my dear...

what emergency can happen to him/her at that age of 10 that no one wont be around except him/her ?

its not about about him/her having a phone at that age but whoever will be looking after them must have your number to contact you

who would have left a 10yr old in charge of anything that if it goes bad s/he will call you
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by STOjo: 3:35pm On May 16, 2012
Socially it may be okay but scientifically it is not the best. Telephone transmits signal and that is why it gets hot after some time. Have you asked yourself why you have headache after a long call. Researchers are also saying there is a possibility of mobile phone causing some damages to the brain. You can also google telephone addiction or mobile phone hazards for more info. Pls let us act reasonably and avoid whatever can cause health problem for us or our children.
I did a little research on computer addiction and that may be why my son at twelve doesn't have a phone. He knows my number and other important numbers and call from pay-phone if there is any emergency. He is better than me in handling most of the electronic equipments so having a phone or not does not determine how versatile you are in handling electronic gadgets.
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by buzodyke: 3:35pm On May 16, 2012
keep on wondering abeg
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by ifedun2: 3:35pm On May 16, 2012
Phones are a necessity for them these days,when everyone is always on the move.My son got his first phone at age 8.With it,communication is easier,thereby saving me a lot of heartache.I have neva seen it as a distraction because he is not a net-freak.
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:39pm On May 16, 2012
MRbrownJAY:

hhmmm maybe because they dont just teleport themselves there, they probably have to WALK there, or even use public transport (like school bus)
also, i wonder of what use it would be to call the football coach/tutor etc , if your child isnt there?!

yes, they may ALL have your number but how will that help if the child aint present?!

@Toluxa1
the important question to ask IS: why did your mum bought the phone for exactly? was there even a need to contact the child, if he is either at school or directly home?

dont forget the age, the age mentioned is 10

so why would let your 10 old child go on her own ? they can go as group but among the group would an older person

as for the school bus it is the duty of the bus driver to contact school in case of emergency then the school will contact you

it is the duty of the football tutor to call you if your child has not turned up and also it is your duty to them if your child has not showed up home at his/her normal average time that when you ask what time did they leave etc
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Polalowo: 3:41pm On May 16, 2012
Some people will not see anything bad for under age children to be given phone, for what?. What emergency?. Which emergency?. Once they fail in school the blame goes to the teachers and government. Civilisation is killing the tradition.

1 Like

Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 16, 2012
ZIM DRILL: dont forget the age, the age mentioned is 10
so why would let your 10 old child go on her own ? they can go as group but among the group would an older person

your kid is at home after school, and will meet the others of that said group in a meeting place, so each of these kids will be for a short period of time ALONE. no matter how you look at it.

as for the school bus it is the duty of the bus driver to contact school in case of emergency then the school will contact you

here is a clue: the bus is late, or dont show up while your kid is out there waiting for the bus.....or better yet, the driver is too busy calling other parents. i wont even talk about driving while on the phone with parents, lol!

it is the duty of the football tutor to call you if your child has not turned up and also it is your duty to them if your child has not showed up home at his/her normal average time that when you ask what time did they leave etc

yes it is their duty but it surely wouldnt solve the problem of KNOWING where your child is at all times. how would that solve the problem, if the coach call you to tell you that your kid is absent?!
if your kid is at any time alone outside, (like many are) then a cellphone is a great way of being able to contact them....unless you have any other way of contacting them in such instance?
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by MissyB3(f): 3:52pm On May 16, 2012
When he starts to gain some amount of independence; go to school, play ground, or see friends alone.
I still can't, for the life of me, understand why a 3/4-year-old kid should own a phone.
Re: When Is it Right For A Child To Own A Cell Phone. by Fhemmmy: 3:54pm On May 16, 2012
Missy_B: When he starts to gain some amount of independence; go to school, play ground, or see friends alone.
I still can't, for the life of me, understand why a 3/4 year old kid should own a phone.

Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? / When A Cheating Spouse Dies / Women Paying Dowry For their Husbands?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.