Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,279 members, 7,807,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum (4358 Views)

Poll: Do we need a new sub-forum for the Enthusiasts?

Yes: 89% (62 votes)
No: 10% (7 votes)
Undecided: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Motorcycle Enthusiasts: ALPINESTARS Riding Boots For Sale. / Please Advise Me Fellow Nairaland Auto Enthusiasts / How About A Dedicated Auto Advert Section, And A Separate Discussion Section? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by bigx(m): 8:50am On May 17, 2012
This is a short post for Our Moderators /WebMaster on Nairaland.

I think the forum is ripe for a sub-forum dedicated strictly to Auto Enthusiasts for discussions on Car Issues, Reviews and Recommendations on various cars, car modifications, maintenance and the like.

The main Autos forum has been swamped with ads and its almost impossible searching for older posts on the topics above as it takes just an hour or less for them to be relegated to the back pages of the autos forum by new and bumped car ads.

I hope this would be looked into.

Its been mentioned before

https://www.nairaland.com/472916/how-about-dedicated-auto-advert

3 Likes

Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by nissparts(m): 9:15am On May 17, 2012
Supported

1 Like

Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by Ikenna351(m): 9:47am On May 17, 2012
I concur.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by bigx(m): 9:55am On May 17, 2012
smiley
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by gulfer: 9:56am On May 17, 2012
Aye and in support.

1 Like

Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by bigx(m): 10:58am On May 17, 2012
grin
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by bigx(m): 1:13pm On May 17, 2012
wink
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by bigx(m): 4:12pm On May 17, 2012
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by gulfer: 4:52pm On May 17, 2012
There is a certain joy in sharing knowledge which a thread such as being requested affords as it will enable quicker solutions and pooling of idea for every type of auto maintenance challenges facing forum members and the general public. If this is done, I can assure Seun that traffic will grow exponentially to the site.
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by bigx(m): 5:28pm On May 17, 2012
gulfer: There is a certain joy in sharing knowledge which a thread such as being requested affords as it will enable quicker solutions and pooling of idea for every type of auto maintenance challenges facing forum members and the general public. If this is done, I can assure Seun that traffic will grow exponentially to the site.

I started visiting foreign car forums in the last few months and I'm overwhelmed at the amount of knowledge gained from them (I enjoy dazzling mechanics nowadays grin ), If we can have a place where we have Nigerian specific solutions to issues (like prices of parts at Ladipo rather than ebay) and discussions on the kinds of cars suitable for the Nigerian Environment, it would be a clean coup against competing forums.
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by bigx(m): 8:01pm On May 17, 2012
cool
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by baaliyah(m): 9:12pm On May 17, 2012
This topic should be permanently on the front page. There are about six topics there that are not as important as sharing knowledge and experience on car maintenance, trouble shooting, peculiar problems, spare parts and all that. Many times you want to lean new things from experienced car owners and gurus but all u get to see is Reg. Camry or Accord at give away bla bla..... avalable. availabe. availabe. going. going

1 Like

Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by bigx(m): 1:13am On May 18, 2012
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by moremi2008(m): 3:42am On May 18, 2012
I agree that the auto section has become seriously bothersome because of the ads. Another example of a section that needs to be revamped is the Properties/Real Estate section; it's also full of ads and little substance!

2 Likes

Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by CHARLZH(m): 5:25am On May 18, 2012
I completely agree that a car enthusiasts forum is long over due, pls create one.
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by zylla(m): 5:45am On May 18, 2012
Seriously supported......
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by Nobody: 5:55am On May 18, 2012
Supported..this is long overdue.
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by jkingx(m): 6:12am On May 18, 2012
GBAM!
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by dannywest: 6:42am On May 18, 2012
1 up
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by chelseabmw(m): 6:43am On May 18, 2012
This is a very good idea....... i will like to see this project executed

1 Like

Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by gulfer: 6:59am On May 18, 2012
I have seen one (1) No in the poll, can the person give a reason why he or she objected? Also, why is the polling going to continue till August 15th? Even sport, football especially has sub-forums. I wonder why the mods should continue to ignore this call. The sole objective of knowledge transfer is and should be enough for this sub-forum creation. Once again, i repeat that NL forum will be better for it.
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by Bontee: 7:20am On May 18, 2012
^^

I clicked a no because the issue at hand is simply a moderation and administration problem where a structure for sanity is already there. There is a sub-forum for ads already but people are not making good use of it and posting in the general section made for discussing issues about cars, bikes and airplanes. Why create a sub-forum for that when the suggestion can be done in the general forum and all ads moved to the existing sub-forum. Maybe the name should be changed as we clearly do not discuss other means of transport like motorbikes, trailers, vans etc.
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by ZUBY77(m): 7:22am On May 18, 2012
The same way people are clamouring for the creation of new states in Nigeria. What is wrong with the auto section itself? The mod there can organise the threads and stick the important ones. I dont see any need to create a new one.
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by Novice1(m): 7:26am On May 18, 2012
Aye Aye Sir
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by gulfer: 7:31am On May 18, 2012
Bontee: ^^

I clicked a no because the issue at hand is simply a moderation and administration problem where a structure for sanity is already there. There is a sub-forum for ads already but people are not making good use of it and posting in the general section made for discussing issues about cars, bikes and airplanes. Why create a sub-forum for that when the suggestion can be done in the general forum and all ads moved to the existing sub-forum. Maybe the name should be changed as we clearly do not discuss other means of transport like motorbikes, trailers, vans etc.
Like you have mentioned yourself, the mods created a sub-forum for ads; this should have been the other way round-leave all the ads on the general forum and make the auto-help section the sub-forum. This is not too much being asked and saying the important topics should be stickied will not work because that might mean the entire first page or more stickied. Again, this is not too much to ask from the mods and Seun.
@ZUBY77, creation of a new sub-forum is not the same as state creation, we are not asking for autonomy from the mother auto-forum and so the comparison of the two is wrong.
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by Nobody: 7:38am On May 18, 2012
I don't agree wit d OP on dis one..
Just like phone/internet and technology market..
D new section will still be flooded with sellers and their ads..
Whatever can be done, will be done on the mother section 'autos'
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by bigx(m): 7:47am On May 18, 2012
Imanuelle: I don't agree wit d OP on dis one..
Just like phone/internet and technology market..
D new section will still be flooded with sellers and their ads..
Whatever can be done, will be done on the mother section 'autos'

That's where moderation comes in, ads should be strictly forbidden on that forum and forum mods should block any ads immediately, that's working in one of the sub-forums here (forgotten which exactly) and I believe it would work with Autos too.
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by Nobody: 8:03am On May 18, 2012
Supported. All we have here is advert and just advert.

It makes no sense that we cant discuss challenges.

In the romance section, there are 2 child boards for sexuality and Dating/meetup zone.

Issues relating to romance and marriage challenges are discussed in the main board whilst those seeking for relations carry their adverts to the child board.

Seun do something now
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by Bontee: 8:05am On May 18, 2012
gulfer: Like you have mentioned yourself, the mods created a sub-forum for ads; this should have been the other way round-leave all the ads on the general forum and make the auto-help section the sub-forum. This is not too much being asked and saying the important topics should be stickied will not work because that might mean the entire first page or more stickied. Again, this is not too much to ask from the mods and Seun.
@ZUBY77, creation of a new sub-forum is not the same as state creation, we are not asking for autonomy from the mother auto-forum and so the comparison of the two is wrong.

Hmm i don't think the mods create sub-forums but are just limited to partial moderation and every other thing is left to seun. I think this structure is better already as first impression matters alot. Your suggestion will favor regular or long term visitors but not new ones as they will be pissed by all the ads and find it unworthy to explore the section deeper. I think with better moderation and management, this place can be conducive but trust me i agree with you as most section is just full of ads. Go to the education section and it is the same story, you will think it is only admission and ads that should be linked with education.

They should just move all the ads to the appropriate section, ban any offenders indefinitely and make good use of section libraries and dedicated threads.
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by Nobody: 8:06am On May 18, 2012
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/

check out this site

strictly dedicated to car challenges with minimal adverts.
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by Nobody: 8:08am On May 18, 2012
This idea is cool provided the board wont be redundant.The purpose will be defeated if folks ask questions and dont get answers.
Re: The Need For A Separate Auto Enthusiasts Forum by gulfer: 8:16am On May 18, 2012
~Bluetooth:

This idea is cool provided the board wont be redundant.The purpose will be defeated if folks ask questions and dont get answers.
Delays to resolution will naturally occur as some auto challenges may require research and don't forget most forum members are workers who may not visit the forum everyday. That is where appropriate sectioning of the sub-forum comes in- you will now have to have Maxima thread, Mercedes Benz thread like we currently have from Kuntash etc so that people know where to post to get answers quickly.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2002 INFINITI QX4 @980k Offer valid till 18th 2015 / 2010 Bmw Z4 (Convertible) SOLD / SOLD OUT Toyota Avalon Tokunbo @2m 08088525399

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.