Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,148 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:48 AM

Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated (10002 Views)

Osun State: Doctors Reply Aregbesola / Sacked Lagos State Doctors Head To Court / Lagos State Doctors Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by lifestyle1(m): 12:08pm On May 21, 2012
blackpanda: All those of u shouting against and cursing the doctors are very very silly. The real person that is orchestrating the destruction of the health sector is the government. But as foolish nigerians yáll are too blind, or simply too dumb to realise that it is actually the govt that has driven away the doctors. But guess what, doctors can never be hungry. and the more chaotic the health sector becomes, they more private jobs for the doctors. The lagos state govt shld swallow its stupid pride and do what its constitutionally mandated to do. Driving away all medical personnel does not help anybody

Really ? undecided
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by PrinceDudu(m): 12:19pm On May 21, 2012
Sagamite: If I was Fashola, I would take them back on the following terms:

- They will be employed at the grade below their previous level and with its corresponding pay. Anyone that was at the entry grade would hence spend an extra year at that grade and pay.

- They are all on two year probation/contract. Hence if you take the offer and then start to cause trouble or be non-cooperative you would get the boot easily.

- Any ineterested person has to sign the punitive contract within 2 weeks.

Thank God you are not Fashola grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by djustice: 1:02pm On May 21, 2012
While the ACN Lagos State spread lies and propaganda all over the place, the doctors are getting juicy offers from private hospitals, other states and the Federal Ministry of Health. Let them keep deceiving themselves while the gullible sheep they're killing with taxes continue to cheer them on, as they die like flies due to the senseless sacking of the doctors.

Power show will end soon, when people begin to realise that up to 50% of those doctors are already in other jobs, with a good number going abroad, where they paid much better. Better go and sign up with the nearest herbalist. Awon oponu buruku.

2 Likes

Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by alfablondy: 1:22pm On May 21, 2012
Our Lives Are Not Safe in the Hands of Baby Doctors - Lagosians

http://allafrica.com/stories/201205200154.html

Reactions have been trailing the employment of what Lagosians have termed 'baby doctors' in place of the sacked doctors in Lagos State Government hospitals. Lagosians especially those seeking medical attention in the state hospitals have expressed doubts over the appointment of newly graduated doctors, raising questions if they would be able to proffer solutions to critical situations.

An encounter recently in the Island Maternity Hospital, Lagos revealed that baby doctors attending to patients have not only been finding it difficult to address some strident issues with the patients but also are unable to handle some of the prevailing situations.

Although, the doctors are now seen in all the state owned hospitals attending the patients, nothing seems to be working as these doctors are according to the patients incompetent and inexperienced. One of the patients who spoke to us said their impact is yet to be felt in the lives of patients.

A visit to one of the hospitals during the ante-natal clinic on Tuesday revealed that some of the pregnant women who were lining up to be attended to, were yet to come to terms with the reason for the face-off.

In a gathering of more than twenty-five women who were waiting for doctors as at 11.30 am, the bone of contention was the on-going face-off between the State Government and doctors as they discussed the issue in hushed tones.

One of the women, who wouldn't want her name in print told the reporter that since the emergence of the baby doctors, there have been series of complaints from patients who have had cause to meet one-on-one with baby doctors. And in all, their complaints were basically issues of competency.

Without mincing words, she said, "the truth is that, I have been sitting down here for the past two hours and I don't know if any doctor is attending to people yet but I saw one particular doctor whose face wasn't familiar and I don't know what is happening".

Asked if she was aware that doctors have been sacked, she said, "I only knew that the doctors were on strike, I don't know if they have been sacked. What I know is that, I haven't been seeing those former doctors, I thought it was the strike thing that is keeping them away from the hospital", she answered.

Another woman who joined in the discussion said, "the fact that new doctors have been employed doesn't make any difference. Citing some encounters with the new doctors, she said, "Most of the people who have had cause to meet with these new doctors haven't any good news about them.

"A particular woman told me that the new doctor attending to her has no experience whatsoever to attend to health issues. For instance, imagine a doctor asking a woman who was already in her Estimated Date of Delivery, EDD, if her pregnancy was just sixth months old. He didn't take his time to go through the woman's record to know what the issue is", she ended.

Then, another woman said, "I don't know why state government should put its people in such a horrible situation. If it is going to sack doctors, at least, those who will be brought in should be competent enough to attend to critical health issues", she said.

"Right now, our lives are not secured, we are not even sure of the doctor who will be attending to us. And they know that we are handicapped".

Lagos State Governor, Fashola

Another woman who has had experience of the 2010 doctors' strike said, "Ãè remember my experience last time when these same doctors went on strike. A particular doctor in this hospital introduced my husband and I to his private hospital in Lagos. We were left with no choice than to subscribe to his referral. Unfortunately, the doctor made us pay through our nose. The first experience came when he said, " You will have to do a scan to ascertain the position of the baby and that will cost you the sum of five thousand naira only, N5,000.00.

"Then, he said, we should deposit the sum of thirty-five thousand naira, N35,000.00 and after the delivery, we will pay a balance of sixty thousand naira, N60,000.00. It was hell that day. My husband started running helter skelter and to worsen the situation, we were to pay before the doctor could attend to us", she continued.

"Unfortunately, we couldn't afford the bills, the balance and so we sought help in traditional birth attendants, TBA in my area and as God would have it, everything went well. And now, I am pregnant again, history has repeated itself, but, I don't pray to go through that rigour again. That is why we are begging our Governor to help call back all these doctors so that our lives can be secured", she lamented.

Some of the women who had different opinions on the issue said, "we don't even know why doctors should go on strike in the first place when all what they know is to refer people to their private hospitals. At least, we know of some doctors in this hospital that refer people to their private hospitals. They even recommend those hospitals for us to go and conduct scan and anyone who fails to bring report from those hospitals will not be recognised or even be attended to.

"So, if they decided to go on strike at the expense of people's lives then, God will judge them accordingly", they chorused. The biggest problem is the issue with baby doctors that are newly employed. They are not experienced and their mode of operation has been totally different from the former doctors. We believe the Governor should consider our lives and recall the doctors so that there can be peace in this state.

"Government is aware of our predicament and it shouldn't be compounded by sending doctors away. I believe there is room for dialogue so that everybody can be happy thereafter. And the doctors should be placed in strategic situations especially to oversee the baby doctors so that they can learn faster", another patient cuts in.

Asked if there is need to curb the excesses of doctors, she said, "For me, I believe government has a lot to do in that regard. For instance, there should be a task force put in place to monitor the activities of doctors such that if there is anyone who engages in any funny act like diverting drugs to his or her private hospital, such a person should be sanctioned. And anyone who refers patients to his private hospital should be reported and government must take lawful decision on such individual", she opined.

Meanwhile, after the court ruling sometime in the week, Chairman of the Medical Guild, Dr. Olumuyiwa Odusote said: "It was a fair outing, the Judge pronounced there would not be eviction of any of the doctors and we are rest assured on that. By and large it was a fair outing and we are satisfied."

On the eviction order, he noted that the Medical Guild was aware of the counter order given by Governor Babatunde Fashola, even though there were no documents to back it up. "We could not rely on that and we were only being careful. Now those who have moved out can return based on the court ruling".

Face-off dangerous as it involves lives

Meanwhile, when Saturday Vanguard visited Lagos metropolis, it was revealed that the on-going problem has not only put fear in the minds of the people but it is also capable of endangering the lives of the people of the State.

For Mr. Akin Jimoh, a media practitioner and programme director, Devcoms Networks, "the on-going problem has shown a breakdown in communication between the State government and the doctors. It shows that dialogue has not been able to solve the problem. Both parties are holding to their own polemics without looking at the other side of the coin.

"And in a situation like this, nobody can say, he or she is totally right or the other party is totally wrong. So, we have to look at it holistically. What is the state of health care delivery in Lagos State and when we are talking about health care delivery, is it only in the teaching hospitals alone? We are talking holistically at the primary, secondary and tertiary levels. This situation has been there from time immemorial.

A typical scene at an emergency ward of a Lagos State government hospital before the protracted doctors strike.

And everybody knows that during the military regime, what they usually say is that "our hospitals have been turned to mere consulting clinics". They give that as a reason for taking over. But the question is, are these hospitals up to standard at the moment? Have they really turned the bend to say that we have standardised health facilities in the country? It is not enough when we point at one facility and we leave out others.

"The question is, do we have a better healthcare system? Are they being professional about their jobs? Do we have situations whereby, we have been able to address some of the common health issues in the state? People are quick to pass blames but we need to remember that individuals have a role to play. If there is an agreement, what are the terms of the agreement? The truth is that Nigeria Medical Association, NMA, has been at the fore-front of the issue that has to do with medical practice in this country.

"When one looks at the agitation during the military regime, during the Buhari/Idiagbon era, issues like this made some doctors flee the country for fear of arrest. And when one takes a look at the on-going crisis, the same people that sacked doctors now were part of the people who were agitating for better medical service in those days but now they form part of the team that is sacking those doctors.

"And if the government says, it is bringing in new doctors, the question that will be going through the minds of the people is the fact that the new doctors are without experience and so, how do they fit into attending to critical issues? If an inexperienced doctor is brought in to attend to patients, then the lives of the patients are at stake. And in a situation where three hundred inexperienced doctors are employed to replace professionals and experts, then, there is need for a sober reflection.

"And if government says, it would bring in private doctors who will provide service free of charge; the question is, is that the whole truth because[b] I am yet to see a doctor who will leave his own private job to go and work freely for government.[/b] I see a situation whereby people will suffer. The fact is that some of the doctors' mates have sought greener pastures in other countries but these ones have decided to work in their fathers' land.

"And unfortunately, the same doctor will be expected to oversee more than one hundred patients in a day. Those are pressing issues in our federal, state and local government levels. And when we start passing blames, the fact is that lots of people are dying.

"So, there is need for both parties to dialogue. It is a shame that those who are in power in this country get their treatment outside the country whenever they have issues. A good leader will access healthcare from within and send their children to public schools so that public schools will change", he concluded.

For Dauda Daud, a motor cyclist, the present situation in the healthcare system is not encouraging and therefore, it shouldn't be compounded. According to her, "when two elephants fight, the grass suffers. I believe people will suffer because the new doctors are not experienced. The truth is that the two parties should learn to swallow their pride and come to a compromise so that the doctors can return to their work or the poor masses are the ones that would bear the brunt.

"If government is going to employ new doctors, they must be well trained on the job. Sack of doctors in this country is a taboo because we are talking about the lives of people. Already, the scenario in hospital environment is not encouraging because there are no drugs and no good healthcare facilities. Negligence and other factors are discouraging people from accessing good healthcare service in the country. It's just like a child who is not being taken care of. Such a child will be violent in the city.

"So, if the state government refuses to take care of its doctors, then, there will be a problem. And for things to be better, government must be responsible. The truth is that most of the government officials do not access healthcare in this country and so it is not possible for them to know what people are passing through especially since the strike problem began."

A man who does not want his name mentioned said, "It is wrong for government to have sacked its doctors. Instead, more deliberations and dialogue should have been encouraged. Government should be humble enough to listen to the yearnings of the doctors instead of sacking them", he said.

Meanwhile, Badmus' opinion is that the two parties should learn to consider other people when taking certain decisions. "I think the two sides should come to a compromise because it is a serious issue that involves lives. "And by the virtue of the doctor's profession, it is a sensitive thing and that is why they should put their plans into consideration. I think, there is need for both parties to sit together in a round table and look for a way forward. The new doctors are not experienced and therefore it is dangerous to be playing with people's lives.

"My opinion is that government should reinstate the doctors. The new doctors should not be used as instruments to jeopardise the lives of the people,"he added . Another motorist also joined in the support for everybody to settle the case amicably. "It is better to settle amicably with experienced doctors because the new doctors do not have what it takes to take care of patients especially critical conditions".

This sack has the potential of completely destroying the sector - Dr. Odusote

Meanwhile the Chairman of the Medical Guide, Dr. Olumuyiwa Odusote spoke after the court ruling during the week on the pronouncement by the Justice Benedict Kanyip of the Industrial Court, that Lagos state government should step down the eviction notice it served the sacked doctors.

According to him, "it was a fair outin. The judge pronounced there would not be eviction of any of the doctors and we are rest assured on that. By and large, it was a fair outing and we are satisfied."

On the eviction order, he noted that the Medical Guild was aware of the counter order given by Governor Babatunde Fashola even though there were no documents to back it up. "We could not rely on that and we were only being careful. Now, those who have moved out can move back based on the court ruling.

Dr. Olumuyiwa Odusote, described the decision of the state government to negotiate with medical doctors after they have been sacked as deceptive. "I do not think this government realises what it has done. This sack has the potential of completely destroying the health care system of the state.You will remember that during the Buhari era when doctors were sacked, that led to a massive exodus of doctors to other countries and that was the beginning of brain drain which the nation has not recovered from. What is going to happen is that there will be a massive brain drain of doctors in Lagos.

"It is just unfortunate that the Lagos State government is embarking on this illegal act at a time the Federal Government is still trying to bring back those doctors sacked during the Buhari era from abroad. I'm sure those that want to come back are going to have a rethink."

Asked what would happen if the doctors are called back, he said, "We will not reject any opportunity to serve this country in any capacity but this government is lying. On Saturday, we were at the negotiation table with this government but meanwhile, they had signed our dismissal letters on Friday before coming to the meeting and they are now saying they are open to dialogue".

The commissioner told us at the meeting and I quote him that this (sacking of doctors) was the government policy and they were not going back that was why the Saturday meeting was deadlocked. If they are serious, the whole world will know, how can you say I have employed people to take over your job and you say you are open to dialogue? What is the dialoguing about?

On the massive sack, he said, "The matter is still court and it is capable of challenging this illegal act of government. Thank God, there is still rule of law in Nigeria and Lagos as part of Nigeria must believe in the rule of law. To let Nigerians know, the Nigerian Medical Association has taken over the issue, the Medical Guild will now take a back seat. This is an assault on the medical profession.

"This profession has being in existence before anyone of them came into government. And after they leave, the medical profession will continue to exist, so there is no government that can kill the medical profession. This is happening because these people, the commissioners do not use public hospitals. Until we are able to pass a law that criminalises any government official from going abroad for medical treatment, they will not look inward and fix the health sector of the country", he said.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by skibochi(m): 1:47pm On May 21, 2012
Mynd_44:
True talk dude

Some of the hospital are Maryland Specialist Hospital, Nusamin Hospital, Ericon Clinic, Havillah Clinic and St. Patrick Clinic.......Courtesy The Punch
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by procedure: 1:58pm On May 21, 2012
hmmm do not mess with a lawyer. fashola would have done the worst. the doctors will never win in court. the governor cornered the doctors legally.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by mbhs139(m): 2:01pm On May 21, 2012
allycat: The story is incomplete without the list of the private hospitals that are to provide free treatment. Get the list and publish it complete with the a dresses and contact phone numbers. If people do not know how to access this free service then it is pure propaganda.

It is not propaganda. Check Punch News Paper of Sunday, 20th May 2012 on Page 57.

Its not everything they should publish oneline. At least, it has been published in the daily. That has wider circulation than NL. By the way, do you want to be spoon fed for all thing?
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by mbhs139(m): 2:07pm On May 21, 2012
djustice: While the ACN Lagos State [/b]spread lies and propaganda all over the place, the doctors are getting juicy offers from private hospitals, other states and the Federal Ministry of Health. Let them keep deceiving themselves while the gullible sheep they're killing with taxes continue to cheer them on, as they die like flies due to the senseless sacking of the doctors.

[b]Power show will end soon
, when people begin to realise that up to 50% of those doctors are already in other jobs, with a good number going abroad, where they paid much better. Better go and sign up with the nearest herbalist. Awon oponu buruku.

That bolded statement clearly indicates that you must be an opposition party memeber. Your concern is actually about grabbing power or seeing the present party out of government house so that your party can take over. You aren't quiet interested in the interest of the public on this issue. So, who is now the oponu buruku
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by webbaba: 2:29pm On May 21, 2012
blackpanda: All those of u shouting against and cursing the doctors are very very silly. The real person that is orchestrating the destruction of the health sector is the government. But as foolish nigerians yáll are too blind, or simply too dumb to realise that it is actually the govt that has driven away the doctors. But guess what, doctors can never be hungry. and the more chaotic the health sector becomes, they more private jobs for the doctors. The lagos state govt shld swallow its stupid pride and do what its constitutionally mandated to do. Driving away all medical personnel does not help anybody

This poster na OLODO RABATA
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by tessyade: 3:14pm On May 21, 2012
I doubt the authencity of this story but i will be so happy if its true. Doctors generally have lost the confidence of the people and like pengassan and nupeng,they have abused the usefulness of strike.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by sartorius(m): 3:30pm On May 21, 2012
I pray they come to a quick solution. Gov fashola has shown recklessness as the governor. Do u knw that lasg planted flowers with billions,and yet cant shamelessly pay 30 million naira monthly for over 1000 docs. ALl the flowers have withered but i pray the lives of those unborn , the rate of mother and child mortality in these power show. Tertiary centres which serve as final destination are either not functional or full to capacity. A country that probably needs 200,000 docs and its citizens hail and applaud their sack less than 40,000 active. LAsg is proving a point with the lives of ordinary citizens..medical students are now used as pawns in the power show and people that have swallowed propaganda .fashola is trying to tell his boss tinubu that he has balls .because their lecturers have been sacked. Lagos is a selfsutainable climate economically with medical skill. People shud open up and wisen up
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by Nobody: 4:20pm On May 21, 2012
The drs better beg ane come back o, because been a broke n unemployed doctor is one gross brutality. I guess they are all old and wise to understand
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by allycat: 4:30pm On May 21, 2012
[quote author=mbhs139]

It is not propaganda. Check Punch News Paper of Sunday, 20th May 2012 on Page 57.

Its not everything they should publish oneline. At least, it has been published in the daily. That has wider circulation than NL. By the way, do you want to be spoon fed for all thing? [/q
Spoon fed, so now tell me the name and address of the closest private hospital to you that is offering you free service. They also said they would only attend to you if you had a card from a government hospital. So what happens to the guy involved in an accident that has never been to a government hospital before? Since he has no card he will have to pay. Why would theyz now send the patients to consultants in government hospitals, weren' t they sacked. What of the consultants that they refer their own patients too cant they see them for free. They are saying what the public wants to hear. If they are so humanitarian is it not the same AGMPN that don't treat without police report, when did they suddenly change. everyone is cashing in on this to get themselves publicity and since we have such a gullible public you are all buying.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by armadeo(m): 4:32pm On May 21, 2012
Am Still very shocked that pips can't tell govt propaganda when they hear it. The matter don hook for govt throat and they are trying to save face and here you are believing crap. Govt wants to recall them and are using this media to save face. Did they see doctors to replace them. Simple question to ALL OF YOU. Who Will sack his employee who misbehav and then take him back when you have replaced said employee. Pls for once you pips use your brains. Am laughing in medicine.

1 Like

Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by armadeo(m): 4:35pm On May 21, 2012
[quote author=allycat][/quote]
help me ask them. Am sure they also believed that the rat removed a bone from the lions throat in tales by moonlight? Lol

1 Like

Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by edicolove: 5:13pm On May 21, 2012
Lagos state government and their propaganda machine. Hahahahahahaha! Very funny! No neuro surgeon or heart surgeon will beg Lagos state to return o those crap jobs. They have numerous options everywhere. The only reason some still want to come back is because some people don't like to relocate.

Crap journalism powered by fat envelopes! Story, story!
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by edicolove: 5:15pm On May 21, 2012
Lagos state government and their propaganda machine. Hahahahahahaha! Very funny! No neuro surgeon or heart surgeon will beg Lagos state to return to those crap jobs. They have numerous options everywhere. The only reason some still want to come back is because some people don't like to relocate.

Crap journalism powered by fat envelopes! Story, story!
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by maasoap(m): 5:35pm On May 21, 2012
Whatever their agitation might be, the use of masses' lifes as bargaining tools to hold govt into ransom is wrong. The govt had to put a stop to it because their strikes were becoming frequent and constant.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by member479760: 6:18pm On May 21, 2012
Na some of those doctors owning personal business caused this issue to others. no work no pay is a big issue to anyone.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by armadeo(m): 6:29pm On May 21, 2012
nakedall: Na some of those doctors owning personal business caused this issue to others. no work no pay is a big issue to anyone.

lol

1 Like

Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by walexbiz(m): 6:35pm On May 21, 2012
Okija Priest: Good one!!

Same thing should be done to Nupeng and Pengassan... TUCN and NLC as well... We have young Nigerians who are willing to take over.. These old farts make outrageous demands and use the unions for selfish reasons rather than for what it was formed to achieve..

u can apply if u are educated enough to know what it takes to be a doctor. Anyway has a friend dont take ur family member to those quack fashola employed
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by jacobs123(m): 6:44pm On May 21, 2012
sagamite:

Sagamite: If I was Fashola, I would take them back on the following terms:

- They will be employed at the grade below their previous level and with its corresponding pay. Anyone that was at the entry grade would hence spend an extra year at that grade and pay.
- They are all on two year probation/contract. Hence if you take the offer and then start to cause trouble or be non-cooperative you would get the boot easily.
- Any ineterested person has to sign the punitive contract within 2 weeks.

This probably explains why the condition of the average is still below that of an average dog in Europe. No matter how exposed a Nigerian is, once given Leadership responsibility, he becomes very selfish and just doesn't understand the concept of common good, the value of lives and the fact that a labourer is worthy of his wages. The fact that you employed someone even if it's your housemaid doesn't mean the person is you servant. This is why David Cameron is not the highest earning Government worker. Now we know why RICH Nigerians rush to UK for their healthcare needs and why everyone wants to be a politician in NIGERIA.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1312358/4-000-GPs-earn-Prime-Minister.html

This is the same Fashola who happily pays the former Governor the same salary he earns as the current Governor (is that even morally right)
This is the same Fashola that was alleged to have flown his own Dad out of the country for medical reasons
Why can't Fashola cut the cost of Governance in Lagos by reducing commissioners and Special advisers and the allowances of his legislators
why do we have 37 LCDAs in Lagos which is essentially used in settling the BOYS
what has he done to reduce the cost of living in Lagos

I'm not exactly in support of Doctors going on strike everytime but when you are faced with useless, clueless, Ignorant, Arrogant and selfish Governments, the type that abound in NIGERIA (of which Fashola's Government is one even though not high on the list), sometimes you are not left with much choice. I say this with all sense of responsibility knowing that people have lost loved ones in this needless ego clash.

The truth is that Professionals have been despised in NIGERIA for a long time no thanks to Politicians and we the citizens have been colluding with them silently and we're paying the price. That's why we all have to send our Children to private schools, visit private hospitals etc.

We need to start rethinking how our society is ordered!
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by mikeapollo: 6:44pm On May 21, 2012
djustice: While the ACN Lagos State spread lies and propaganda all over the place, the doctors are getting juicy offers from private hospitals, other states and the Federal Ministry of Health. Let them keep deceiving themselves while the gullible sheep they're killing with taxes continue to cheer them on, as they die like flies due to the senseless sacking of the doctors.

Power show will end soon, when people begin to realise that up to 50% of those doctors are already in other jobs, with a good number going abroad, where they paid much better. Better go and sign up with the nearest herbalist. Awon oponu buruku.

God bless you my brother. I am becoming increasingly convinced that Nigeria is heavily blessed with many stupid,shallow,arrrogant,foolish masses who rather than challenge their leaders for raping them off would direct their agression at the wrong quarters.

Only a dubious and insincere govt would opt to compress steps because it wants to review salaries. I have never heard of such anywhere in the world or even in Nigeria. What does it take to review the salaries within the existing civil service remuneration structure of steps 1-12? Why must you demote me from Step 10 to Step 4 just because you want to review my salary? Any doctor that accepts that is a fool because you would lose seniority in future when you transfer your services to maybe Ogun state or federal appointment. The number of steps indicates the years of service and it would be used to determine your entry level in future employments.

Fashola's govt have proved to be insensitive to the needs of the poor masses of Lagos. He is happy to pay huge sums to the State House of Assembly and Judiciary because he needs political favours/judgements from them. but look at what he has done in the areas that concern the poor masses..Educationm(LASU fees/strikes) and Health(Doctors strikes). I am sure his family do not patronise public hospitals so he can afford to make doctors go on strike and people to die in numbers.

I pray people do not lose their lives in this strike, and would appreciate any private hospital that decides to safe life because Fashola is bent on making people die out of his heartless nature!

All the news about doctors begging to come back is pure propaganda by an insensitive and callous govt to woodwink people. Non
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by Lawalluckyahoocom: 8:20pm On May 21, 2012
Fashola is a fool.A SAN wit no brain.Those pple supporting him shd ask where he kept his sense of reasoning nd repercusion wen signing d agreement? Moreso,he is setting a bad precedent for oda govt.Mr President ll one day sack d nation‘s workforce for embarking on industrial action for salary-related agility. Fashola has no problem wit political office holders‘ jumbo pay. Pls,fulfil d goddam agreement u signed. Politicians wit empty promises.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by redsun(m): 9:20pm On May 21, 2012
What fashola did,sacking those helpless doctors for agitating for fairness is quite immoral and primitive.And it undermines his "progressive" drives.

It is "juntarious".It is dictatorial
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by drhappy(m): 11:25pm On May 21, 2012
Welcome to Nigeria,the land of my birth......We dialogue and negotiate with terrorists and militants and honour agreements with same, spend massively on 60th birthday celebrations but sack our doctors for asking for an additional sum of 20K to their salaries.The most unfortunate aspect is that Nigerians cannot even hold their leaders accountable.I hope the information below helps the cynics in the house:

PRESS STATEMENT ISSUED ON MONDAY, MAY 21, 2012, BY THE NIGERIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION (NMA)
ON THE FALSE HOOD DISSEMINATED THROUGH THE VANGUARD NEWSPAPER

The attention of the national body of the Nigerian Medical Association has been drawn to the Monday, May 21, 2012 publication of the Vanguard Newspaper wherein on page 6 under the caption ‘’
Sacked Lagos doctors lobby for reinstatement’’, it was stated that ‘’Even the Nigerian Medical Association, NMA, National President is not happy with position of the Medical Guild on the Consolidated Medical Salary Structure, CONMESS, issue but he is afraid that he might be impeached if he fails to dance to the tune of the doctors. I had a meeting with him last Thursday when he confided in me,’’ the source said.
The Nigerian Medical Association wishes to unequivocally state that
at no time did the President of the Nigerian Medical Association, Dr. Osahon Enabulele, make such a statement as reported in the said Vanguard publication, either privately or publicly. Indeed, to think that the NMA President who was overwhelmingly elected only 17days ago (and who has severally advised the Lagos state government to reverse her sack of 788 doctors), would be bothered about impeachment over his courageous and progressive handling of the Lagos quagmire, is ridiculous and ludicrous. The NMA President has an unblemished track record as a progressive crusader for social justice.
Nigerians and indeed the whole world are very much aware that for over a week the NMA President and the national leadership of the NMA have consistently made efforts to resolve the labour crisis in Lagos state, despite the hard line anti-labour posture of the Lagos state government.
The Nigerian Medical Association therefore considers this Vanguard Newspaper publication/write up as scurrilous, outright falsehood and a desperate attempt to blackmail the President and leadership of the Nigerian Medical Association in her quest for a just and quick resolution of the face-off between her members in the Medical Guild and the Lagos state government.
While we accord respect to Vanguard Newspapers, we are however extremely saddened by the fact that her correspondents, Sola Ogundipe and Chioma Obinna, lent themselves cheaply to such a wicked act of blackmail and yellow journalism without cross-checking with the President of the Nigerian Medical Association, Dr. Osahon Enabulele, whose phone numbers they have.
We wish to request a formal apology and retraction by Vanguard Newspapers of the statement falsely credited to the President of the Nigerian Medical Association, Dr. Osahon Enabulele, within one week from the date of publication of this press statement.
We thank members of the public for their vigilance and understanding, and advise them to discountenance the Vanguard publication and stand on the side of justice.
Thanks and God bless.

Dr. Osahon Enabulele
President

Dr. A.L. Pemu
Secretary General
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by drhappy(m): 11:48pm On May 21, 2012
About 60,000 Nigerians are registered doctors, 15,000 are dead or no longer practising for one reason or the other. Of the remaining 45,000, a third to half of this are abroad leaving just over 20,000 in the country. This over 20,000 includes doctors in the ministries who by the real sense are not seriously involved in clinical duties.

Barack Obama pushed for health reforms in the USA recently. USA has approximately one million doctors and 30,000 of these are of Nigerian origin (either through emigration or by nationality i.e. born there). Now Obama wants to increase this figure and he is aiming to get 30,000 more doctors from Africa. As you all know, one in every five African is a Nigerian, so in effect of the possible 30,000 doctors he hopes to recruit from Africa at least 6,000 will be Nigerians thereby depleting the number of doctors available to Nigerians.

Cuba an island of 12 million people has 70,000 doctors i.e. ratio of 1 doctor to 170 Cubans.

Can someone help pass this to Fashola please? So that he can appreciate the damage he is about to cause to the health sector.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by drhappy(m): 12:02am On May 22, 2012
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by redsun(m): 8:59am On May 22, 2012
That is why they recently gave my nephew who is a medical doctor an american lottery green card and he is gone with his family. Another loss for a country that needs doctors dearly.

Just because the life of an average nigerian is not worth a healthy chicken in the eyes of the rogue nigerian governmennt,they underestimate the power of experience doctors.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by naturalwaves: 9:55am On May 22, 2012
Honestly speaking,these doctors are ingrates,never satisfied.My friend who hasn't even gone 4 service and doing his housemanship gets 140k per month.Freshly appointed smallee doctors get close 2 260k per month.Almost all dose doctors av their own private clinics and dat's where they stay most of d tym abandoning their duty post.All they'r afta is ow 2 develop their private hospitals.Wen last were u at Lasuth? U need 2 see d degree of heartlessness dat's usually displayed by dz so called docs and nurses(dz 1s are worse).It is not their fault anyway,it's because nobody probes or questns a doc 4 d loss of life in dis useless part of d world unlike d US 4 e.g.Aside just building up doctors,they should teach dem character and gud behaviours as a course. In d olden days,doctors are lyk Angels,wen u see dem,u feel ur problems are ova and wen a nurse touches u,u feel secured.BUT now,they are lyk monsters,they behave as if they do not lyk d kind of job they do.If ministry workers,teachers and evry1 goes on strike,wat wil happen? cos a newly appointed teacher gets 56k. D doctors even operates on shifts and av their various areas f specializatn,it's not as if they all practice gen.medicine.Truth be told,these docs are ingrates and needs 2 considerate b4 they go on useless strikes.As 4 me,I dnt even want d govt 2 reinstate them.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by redsun(m): 10:20am On May 22, 2012
How much does nigerian thieving senators who contributes nothing but chaos in nigerian society gets a month,compared to proper medical doctors who are the life line of predominantly ignorant and hazardous nation?

The only thing more important than them is food,that is aswell in short supply in nigeria.
Re: Sacked Lagos State Doctors Lobby To Be Reinstated by naptu2: 11:28am On May 22, 2012
Anytime someone talks about doctor's salary they are accused of being jealous and are insulted. Yet, during this strike, I've heard doctors talk about salaries of lawyers, judges, senators, governors, etc. Why did they sign up to be doctors? Why didn't they choose to become lawyers, judges and senators?

They should have known the kind of profession they were signing up for.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Macaroot In Nigeria / Mental illness May Be The 'price' We Pay For Intelligence / Diet For Renal Patient

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.