Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,830 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread (13335 Views)

CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) / Nasarawa Impeachment: Lawmakers Reject Panel’s Verdict, Vow To Impeach Al-makura / Cassava Bread Policy: Jonathan Pushes Ahead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Ganys: 10:11pm On May 23, 2012
The House of Representative on Wednesday rejected a bill seeking tomake it mandatory for the inclusion of cassava in the production of all flour products in Nigeria.
President Goodluck Jonathan (R), givinga piece of cassava bread to the Vice President Namadi Sambo during the launching of the bread at the FEC meeting in Abuja.
The bill titled: “A bill for an act to providefor the mandatory inclusion of cassava inthe production of all flour in Nigeria and for other matters connected therewith,” subsequently failed to pass second reading.
The bill which is an executive bill had proposed that it was incumbent on the parliament to enact a law that would make its inclusion in all flours compulsoryas it will not only be in line with PresidentGoodluck Jonathan’s initiative on cassava.
President Goodluck Jonathan had launched the cassava bread campaign early this year at the State House, publicly announcing his choice for the bread and encouraging Nigerians and government officials to adopt the variety as a boost for cassava production.
According to the Minister of Agriculture, Adewunmi Adesina the use of cassava flour would save Nigeria N250 billion in foreign exchange from reduced import ofwheat and wheat flour.
Peter Edeh (PDP, Edo) who led the opposition against the bill argued that compelling manufacturers of flour to include cassava would amount to compelling Nigerians to eat products thatmay be injurious to their health.
“30 to 40 per cent of Nigerians are diabetic and it will be unfair to compel them to eat cassava products since mostdiabetic patients are barred from consuming foods such as cassava,” he said.
“It will be impinging on people’s rights and endangering their lives to compulsorily include cassava in what theyeat.”
At the end of the debate, the Deputy Speaker, Emeka Ihedioha conducted a voice vote and the lawmakers unanimously voted ‘Nil’ to the bill.
Majority of lawmakers who kicked against the proposal advised the government to find alternative ways of enhancing the exportation of cassava instead of forcing people to consume it.
Source
http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/05/23/lawmakers-reject-jonathans-cassava-bread/

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ektbear: 10:20pm On May 23, 2012
Ganys:
Peter Edeh (PDP, Edo) who led the opposition against the bill argued that compelling manufacturers of flour to include cassava would amount to compelling Nigerians to eat products thatmay be injurious to their health.
“30 to 40 per cent of Nigerians are diabetic and it will be unfair to compel them to eat cassava products since mostdiabetic patients are barred from consuming foods such as cassava,” he said.
“It will be impinging on people’s rights and endangering their lives to compulsorily include cassava in what theyeat.”
At the end of the debate, the Deputy Speaker, Emeka Ihedioha conducted a voice vote and the lawmakers unanimously voted ‘Nil’ to the bill.
Majority of lawmakers who kicked against the proposal advised the government to find alternative ways of enhancing the exportation of cassava instead of forcing people to consume it.

Lol
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 10:24pm On May 23, 2012
wicked law makers. they know that stopping the importation of wheat would affect their own income.

The starch 100 grams of bread made from wheat is the same starch 100 grams of bread from cassava would produce. Reduce the sugar in bread.

until Nigerian show these people that we are not fo.ols they would keep insulting our intelligence.

2 Likes

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 10:25pm On May 23, 2012
Finally GEJ was about to do the right thing, this people are stopping it angry
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Beaf: 10:27pm On May 23, 2012
Diabetes is quite a silly reason to hold the nation back. Those lawmakers are only there to feather their own nests.

In fact, giving diabetes as an excuse is just daft; there is enough research to show that there is no link between cassava and diabetes. In fact some studies promote cassava as part of the diet for diabetics, because of its low glycemic index.

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 10:29pm On May 23, 2012
Beaf: [size=18pt]Diabetes is quite a silly reason to hold the nation back.[/size] Those lawmakers are only there to feather their own nests.

In fact, giving diabetes as an excuse is just daft; there is enough research to show that there is no link between cassava and diabetes. In fact some studies promote cassava as part of the diet for diabetics, because of its low glycemic index.

could not have said it better.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by jmaine: 10:31pm On May 23, 2012
Yet another set back to a good initiative . . .What is wrong with those people angry

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 10:32pm On May 23, 2012
these are the people holding Nigeria back. They want us to keep importing
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ektbear: 10:36pm On May 23, 2012
Diabetes is not a good reason?

What of the reason they proposed that people should be free to eat what they want, w/o being forced?

I agree with the lawmakers..
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ektbear: 10:36pm On May 23, 2012
Who wan die of diabetes just because GEJ wants to force you to eat cassava bread
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Kobojunkie: 10:37pm On May 23, 2012
Thank God ooo. See me see wahala?? Which one be to FORCE me to eat cassava bread? This yeye people wan ruin my diet? ROFLMAO! grin grin grin grin grin grin

If I wan chop whole wheat bread, I have the right to chop whole wheat bread. Abeg make President and his business dons should carry there Cassava hybrid bread go siddon somewhere ooo. I no even know say dem serious like this. shocked shocked shocked shocked Imagine the likeness?
Dem wan taint my bread behind my back? Which kind yeye bill be that one? Unless they have discovered that without cassava in my bread, I no go survive, make dem no try this stu_pidity again oo!!
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 10:39pm On May 23, 2012
Kobojunkie: Thank God ooo. See me see wahala?? Which one be to FORCE me to eat cassava bread? This yeye people wan ruin my diet? ROFLMAO! grin grin grin grin grin grin

If I wan chop whole wheat bread, I have the right to chop whole wheat bread. Abeg, President and his business dons should carry there Cassava hybrid bread go siddon somewhere ooo. I no even know say dem serious like this. shocked shocked shocked shocked

I am sure the president would not stop the production of whole wheat bread.

But a cheaper option is the cassava bread.

Dangote would still be producing flours made from wheat anyway
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 10:39pm On May 23, 2012
ekt_bear: Who wan die of diabetes just because GEJ wants to force you to eat cassava bread

what do you mean
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ektbear: 10:43pm On May 23, 2012
alj harem:

what do you mean

Are diabetics advised by their doctors not to eat cassava?

Is there a doctor in the house? Or someone who can google the relationship between cassava and diabetes?
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Kobojunkie: 10:44pm On May 23, 2012
alj harem:

I am sure the president would not stop the production of whole wheat bread.

But a cheaper option is the cassava bread.

Dangote would still be producing flours made from wheat anyway

The House of Representative on Wednesday rejected a bill seeking to make it mandatory for the inclusion of cassava in the production of all flour products in Nigeria.
You do not have to be a genius to understand what is wrong with what you have above, you know? You are told the bill will force the use of Cassava in production of bread. How can you have whole wheat bread when instead of wheat, a portion of itjavascript:void(0); is cassava. How the frell can you call that whole wheat?

My gosh, I can't image imagine what the texture of those muffins will be. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 10:46pm On May 23, 2012
ekt_bear:

Are diabetics advised by their doctors not to eat cassava?

Is there a doctor in the house? Or someone who can google the relationship between cassava and diabetes?

those law makers know nothing about diabetics or anything related to that field. Just cause one is diabetic does not mean one can not eat cassava product.

Those leaders are saying rubbish. Wheat/flour importation just like generator and cloths are huge business in Nigeria.

Moreover it seems like some does not want it to occur because of the money they would lose
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 10:50pm On May 23, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You do not have to be a genius to understand what is wrong with what you have above, you know? You are told the bill will force the use of Cassava in production of bread. How can you have whole wheat bread when instead of wheat, a portion of itjavascript:void(0); is cassava. How the frell can you call that whole wheat?

My gosh, I can't image imagine what the texture of those muffins will be. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Thanks for bring out that point. Most of Nigerian produced flour are not made in Nigeria but imported. thus majority of our breads are made from imported wheat flour.

The only MAJOR flour mill is that of dangote, crown and Nigeria flour mill. All these procedure less than 60 % of the flours we use in Nigeria. Even Dangote imports some of the flours made from wheat.

Thus anyone that does not want cassava bread can buy wheat bread.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ektbear: 10:51pm On May 23, 2012
alj harem: I found this (among other things): http://www.livestrong.com/article/314844-cassava-as-diet-alternative-for-diabetics/

It actually appears that that rep might be mistaken. Seems to be beneficial rather than detrimental.

Still, what about freedom of choice? Why can't people choose what they want to eat?
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Beaf: 10:52pm On May 23, 2012
GEJ should simply ban the importation of wheat by executive fiat.

We can't continue living in stup!dity. Today, we laugh at "Igbo made," we laugh at cassava too (because whites use wheat). It is the very same national low self-esteem epidemic I always talk about.

Imagine some clowning legislator giving diabetes as a lame excuse for economic sabotage and the continued seige on the millions of poor farmers who were about to be given a life changing break and a stake in society; he even shamelessly lied that 30-40% of Nigerians are diabetic! Well, cassava has nothing to do with diabetes apart from the legislators expected ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Beaf: 10:55pm On May 23, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You do not have to be a genius to understand what is wrong with what you have above, you know? You are told the bill will force the use of Cassava in production of bread. How can you have whole wheat bread when instead of wheat, a portion of it[b]javascript:void(0);[/b] is cassava. How the frell can you call that whole wheat?

Why the phuck do you have the bolded in your post? Are you trying to hack other users?
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Kobojunkie: 10:56pm On May 23, 2012
alj harem:

Thanks for bring out that point. Most of Nigerian produced flour are not made in Nigeria but imported. thus majority of our breads are made from imported wheat flour.

The only MAJOR flour mill is that of dangote, crown and Nigeria flour mill. All these procedure less than 60 % of the flours we use in Nigeria. Even Dangote imports some of the flours made from wheat.

Thus anyone that does not want cassava bread can buy wheat bread.

Stop Lying! Nigeria imports even meat, as well as beans, rice, plantain. You name it. That is no reason why our meat should now be tainted by addition of say emo meat. Definitely no reason why there should be a law that mandates the addition of abakili rice to every bag of imported rice.

I am guessing you do not understand the implication of passing a bill to MANDATE the addition to cassava flour to wheat production. What that means, in ABC is that NO BREAD remains whole wheat. Instead you have Wheat/Cassava bread floating around. So I will say yous spend a couple more minutes on google to get help with that.

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 10:57pm On May 23, 2012
ekt_bear: alj harem: I found this (among other things): http://www.livestrong.com/article/314844-cassava-as-diet-alternative-for-diabetics/

It actually appears that that rep might be mistaken. Seems to be beneficial rather than detrimental.

Still, what about freedom of choice? Why can't people choose what they want to eat?

thank you, most of this reps are just money hungry
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ektbear: 10:59pm On May 23, 2012
Freedom of choice, though.

People should be able to eat what they like..
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Beaf: 11:00pm On May 23, 2012
There is no country in the World where people are allowed to eat what they like. Nigeria should also regulate what its people eat.

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ballabriggs: 11:00pm On May 23, 2012
A very petty bill. Should lawmakers occupy themselves with such petty bills? Firstly, it is hypocritical to advocate for a deregulated markets while also placing controls on the content of a product or products. Secondly, one might be forced to ask, is the capacity for local production of cassava sufficient in the Nigerian economy? Such controls have little effect where capacity is limited because it leads to a distortion of markets thus further eroding the welfare of consumers. Thirdly, if indeed such controls are desirable, then it would have been more appropriate to pass a law promoting local content in various sectors of the economy and not limited to 'Cassava' and flour production. One is thus forced to ask, why is Mr. Jonathan obsessed with cassava flour. Is it most critical to reviving the nations economy? There are numerous sectors of the economy were linkages could be created and not limited to 'Cassava flour'. Like I said earlier such bills are better thrown out because it is not a serious bill. It is a petty bill and the Legislators would do well to occupy themselves with more serious legislative duties.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ektbear: 11:02pm On May 23, 2012
Beaf: There is no country in the World where people are allowed to eat what they like. Nigeria should also regulate what its people eat.

What on earth are you talking about. People are allowed to eat what they like in most countries I know of, so long as it is food and not physically harmful to their bodies...
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Beaf: 11:03pm On May 23, 2012
ballabriggs: A very petty bill. Should lawmakers occupy themselves with such petty bills? Firstly, it is hypocritical to advocate for a deregulated markets while also placing controls on the content of a product or products. Secondly, one might be forced to ask, is the capacity for local production of cassava sufficient in the Nigerian economy? Such controls have little effect where capacity is limited because it leads to a distortion of markets thus further eroding the welfare of consumers. Thirdly, if indeed such controls are desirable, then it would have been more appropriate to pass a law promoting local content in various sectors of the economy and not limited to 'Cassava' and flour production. One is thus forced to ask, why is Mr. Jonathan obsessed with cassava flour. Is it most critical to reviving the nations economy? There are numerous sectors of the economy were linkages could be promoted. Like I said earlier such bills are better thrown out because it is not a serious bill. It is a petty bill and the Legislators would do well to occupy themselves with more serious legislative duties.

I'm sure growth starts by investing in indeginious industry and agriculture. Your post is completely self contradictory and a touch ignorant.

1 Like

Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 11:03pm On May 23, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Stop Lying! Nigeria imports even meat, as well as beans, rice, plantain. You name it. That is no reason why our meat should now be tainted by addition of say emo meat. Definitely no reason why there should be a law that mandates the addition of abakili rice to every bag of imported rice.

I am guessing you do not understand the implication of passing a bill to MANDATE the addition to cassava flour to wheat production. So I will say yous spend a couple more minutes on google to get help with that.

Errrmmmm Kobo what sort of meat do Nigeria import. Do you mean Chicken and fish because Nigeria does not import Beaf.

Since 2003 or so, Nigeria has stop the importation of chicken. That is why most fast food shops have the smaller chicken than the very large ones. Moreover those imported meats are coated with a balm that they use on died people. IT is carcinogenic.

The fishes yes we are still working on that.

I bet even the wheats that are imported would contain some sort of preservatives to increase their shelf life.

Why would they not make the law mandatory. If they do not people like you kobo would keep buying imported rice and imported flour. At least they are not stopping you but trying reduce our over dependence on such product.

Here is the quote

The House of Representative on Wednesday rejected a bill seeking to make it mandatory for the inclusion of cassava in the[b] production of all flour products in Nigeria[/b].

thus those that are not produce in Nigeria can contain whole wheat if you so which. As far as the Nigerian production is concerned, it MUST contain cassava.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 11:05pm On May 23, 2012
ekt_bear: Freedom of choice, though.

People should be able to eat what they like..

There are still choices available for those that want their wheat. But the flour produced in NIGERIA AS A COUNTRY MUST contain cassava. that is all. for those that want wheat, they can buy the imported ones.

I am sure they did not ban the importation of wheat flour into Nigeria.
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by Beaf: 11:07pm On May 23, 2012
ekt_bear:

What on earth are you talking about. People are allowed to eat what they like in most countries I know of, so long as it is food and not physically harmful to their bodies...

In the EU, fruits need to be a certain shape to be accepted for sale or export; in the US (as elsewhere), there are regulations on the amount of salt in fast foods. Most countries ban certain types of egg, beef, pork etc.
Some of these things are done for health reasons, others for strictly economic reasons.
Every country regulates what its citizens eat. cool
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by ektbear: 11:07pm On May 23, 2012
Ballabriggs has actually said some important points.

In addition, the focus should be on making local products more competitive, rather than artificially weakening the competitiveness of foreign products.

The best way to stimulate local production is with electricity. Not with bans..
Re: Lawmakers Reject Jonathan’s Cassava Bread by aljharem(m): 11:08pm On May 23, 2012
ballabriggs: A very petty bill. Should lawmakers occupy themselves with such petty bills? Firstly, it is hypocritical to advocate for a deregulated markets while also placing controls on the content of a product or products. Secondly, one might be forced to ask, [b]is the capacity for local production of cassava sufficient in the Nigerian economy? [/b]Such controls have little effect where capacity is limited because it leads to a distortion of markets thus further eroding the welfare of consumers. Thirdly, if indeed such controls are desirable, then it would have been more appropriate to pass a law promoting local content in various sectors of the economy and not limited to 'Cassava' and flour production. One is thus forced to ask, why is Mr. Jonathan obsessed with cassava flour. Is it most critical to reviving the nations economy? There are numerous sectors of the economy were linkages could be created and not limited to 'Cassava flour'. Like I said earlier such bills are better thrown out because it is not a serious bill. It is a petty bill and the Legislators would do well to occupy themselves with more serious legislative duties.

Good question, Yes it is sufficient for the economy if not Mr president would not have said so. Moreover we can control the prices now unlike before.

This is a plus if the passed into law

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Solomon Dalung Arrives Zambia (Photos) / Buhari Hails Super Falcons For Winning AWCON 2016 / Meet The Dullest President In The World According To Google

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.