Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe (6694 Views)

African Development Bank Presidency: 5 Serving Ministers, 3 Others Contest / Buhari Endorses Akinwunmi Adesina For African Development Bank Presidency / World Bank Presidency: Obama Rejects Iweala Nominates Jim Yong Kim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by mukina2: 9:44am On May 25, 2012
HARARE — Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe on Thursday lashed out at the "selfish" West for denying Nigerian finance minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala the opportunity to head the World Bank.

Okonjo-Iweala, a respected economist, last month lost the World Bank president post to Korean-American Jim Young Kim, in a first-ever challenge to US domination of the job.

"We were very saddened that you didn't make it," Mugabe told a women's conference in Harare, which the Nigerian minister was attending.

"You know the Europeans are very selfish, they want to retain power in these bodies.

"The World Bank, no African can head it. The IMF, no African can head it. So it will take us time to be equal," said Mugabe.

Under a tacit agreement since the Bretton Woods institutions were founded nearly 70 years ago, the United States has always picked one of its citizens for the helm of the World Bank while Europe has held control of who leads the International Monetary Fund.

The US nominee faced a challenge for the first time in 66 years from two strong developing country candidates.

Okonjo-Iweala meanwhile said her candidacy for the World Bank president has proven that developing countries can lead global institutions.

"I think they (World Bank) have absolutely no choice, they have to evolve," she said.

"It was a game changer that we cannot have the same processes that have gone on for 60 years going on in future, therefore I am confident that going forward there will be a more level playing field, more competition will be allowed."

AFP
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by imparable7(m): 9:52am On May 25, 2012
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
/\ \ /\ \ /\ \ /\ \ /\ \ /\ \ /\ \
/::\____\ /::\ \ /::\____\ /::\ \ /::\ \ /::\____\ /::\____\
/:::/ / /::::\ \ /:::/ / /::::\ \ /::::\ \ /:::/ / /::::| |
/:::/ / /::::::\ \ /:::/ / /::::::\ \ /::::::\ \ /:::/ / /:::::| |
/:::/ / /:::/\:::\ \ /:::/ / /:::/\:::\ \ /:::/\:::\ \ /:::/ / /::::::| |
/:::/____/ /:::/__\:::\ \ /:::/____/ /:::/__\:::\ \ /:::/__\:::\ \ /:::/ / /:::/|::| |
/::::\ \ /::::\ \:::\ \ |::| | /::::\ \:::\ \ /::::\ \:::\ \ /:::/ / /:::/ |::| |
/::::::\ \ _____ /::::::\ \:::\ \ |::| | _____ /::::::\ \:::\ \ /::::::\ \:::\ \ /:::/ / _____ /:::/ |::| | _____
/:::/\:::\ \ /\ \ /:::/\:::\ \:::\ \ |::| | /\ \ /:::/\:::\ \:::\ \ /:::/\:::\ \:::\ \ /:::/____/ /\ \ /:::/ |::| |/\ \
/:::/ \:::\ /::\____\/:::/ \:::\ \:::\____\ |::| | /::\____\/:::/__\:::\ \:::\____\ /:::/ \:::\ \:::\____\|:::| / /::\____\/:: / |::| /::\____\
\::/ \:::\ /:::/ /\::/ \:::\ /:::/ / |::| | /:::/ /\:::\ \:::\ \::/ / \::/ \:::\ \::/ /|:::|____\ /:::/ /\::/ /|::| /:::/ /
\/____/ \:::\/:::/ / \/____/ \:::\/:::/ / |::| | /:::/ / \:::\ \:::\ \/____/ \/____/ \:::\ \/____/ \:::\ \ /:::/ / \/____/ |::| /:::/ /
\::::::/ / \::::::/ / |::|____|/:::/ / \:::\ \:::\ \ \:::\ \ \:::\ \ /:::/ / |::|/:::/ /
\::::/ / \::::/ / |:::::::::::/ / \:::\ \:::\____\ \:::\____\ \:::\ /:::/ / |::::::/ /
/:::/ / /:::/ / \::::::::::/____/ \:::\ \::/ / \::/ / \:::\__/:::/ / |:::::/ /
/:::/ / /:::/ / ~~~~~~~~~~ \:::\ \/____/ \/____/ \::::::::/ / |::::/ /
/:::/ / /:::/ / \:::\ \ \::::::/ / /:::/ /
/:::/ / /:::/ / \:::\____\ \::::/ / /:::/ /
\::/ / \::/ / \::/ / \::/____/ \::/ /
\/____/ \/____/ \/____/ ~~ \/____/
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by Timileyin(m): 9:56am On May 25, 2012
does she deserve it, that selfish characterless woman. The white man will be more useful
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by opokonwa(m): 9:58am On May 25, 2012
Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!
Crying over spilled milk cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
If Mugabe was in their position, will he play fair?
He should start by relinquishing his strangle hold on power first, its attendant corruption and barbarism in Zimbabwe before he points his dirty fingers to the West. Mtcheeeeewwwww!
One corrupt politician trying desperately to sound relevant. sad

1 Like

Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by Mynd44: 9:58am On May 25, 2012
Mugabe is trying to make friends with Nigeria
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by Elose11(m): 10:01am On May 25, 2012
I don't think the West were selfish. They were been very nationalistic. They are protecting their interest. They can't trust a Nigerian to protect those interest, inspite of the fact that she has always been their tool all these years.
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by opokonwa(m): 10:01am On May 25, 2012
Who is even more selfish; the West or Mugabe?
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by opokonwa(m): 10:04am On May 25, 2012
Elose11: I don't think the West were selfish. They were been very nationalistic. They are protecting their interest. They can't trust a Nigerian to protect those interest, inspite of the fact that she has always been their tool all these years.

A tool is a tool, an employee is an employee.
A Business Owner is a Business Owner. The West conceived and own both the World Bank and the IMF.
Then tomorrow, one of those we milk will come to lead us? Tufiakwa!
LOL! grin
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by olempe(m): 10:04am On May 25, 2012
Robert Mugabe of all people... mtcheeeeeeeewww
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by mrnatural(m): 10:10am On May 25, 2012
Mugabe should shut up and go and sit down. Imagine Mugabe talking bout selfishness.
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by lifestyle1(m): 10:17am On May 25, 2012
mr_natural: Mugabe should shut up and go and sit down. Imagine Mugabe talking bout selfishness.

You spoke my mind...
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by Nobody: 10:18am On May 25, 2012
Sometimes I wonder why am here in Nairaland.com, so many morons here can ruin my sense of objectivity. Who was most qualified, a medic or a Professor of Economics with 25yrs experience in the world body.

8 Likes

Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by solomon111(m): 10:19am On May 25, 2012
Timileyin: does she deserve it, that selfish characterless woman. The white man will be more useful
Height of stupidity.!
I wonder how long i will be in the same country with these idiots.

2 Likes

Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by Flameboy26(m): 10:31am On May 25, 2012
Iweala d Bleep mugabe ni
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by killuminati(m): 10:31am On May 25, 2012
Mugabe is a >smiley shocked) 3:-O sad|) :-@ :-@ X_X
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by Emilord(m): 10:45am On May 25, 2012
I wonder at how africans think...repeat not,between Iweala and kim who is most qualified?is it not Iweala?And some foolish fussy people will be replying rubbish condeming Iweala and Mugabe...instead of commendation.So puzzled to know that some of us BLACKS even have BLACK MENTALITY....

3 Likes

Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by matoyeh(m): 10:49am On May 25, 2012
opokonwa:

A tool is a tool, an employee is an employee.
A Business Owner is a Business Owner. The West conceived and own both the World Bank and the IMF.
Then tomorrow, one of those we milk will come to lead us? Tufiakwa!
LOL! grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by matoyeh(m): 10:49am On May 25, 2012
solomon111: Height of stupidity.!
I wonder how long i will be in the same country with these idiots.
cool cool cool embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by Nobody: 10:56am On May 25, 2012
As i business owner, i will prefer to employ someone who will protect my interest than the one who will quote principles/conventions and professional ethics for me . that said,i strongly believe that mugabe lacks the moral justification for such comments.
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by ebamma(m): 11:04am On May 25, 2012
mugabe of all people running his mouth again,for a man who pursued white farmers and industrialists from his country and handed their businesses to blacks,he shouldn't expect the whites to be so good hearted,and why is iweala crying over split milk,abi the millions were she dey chop monthly for naija here neva do am?,she wan go embezzle dollars 4 world bank abi.
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by Ohislee(m): 11:06am On May 25, 2012
Who is more selfish?
1)Robert Mugabe- holding on, on power for too long
2)Okonjo Iweala - using IMF policies to run Nigerian economy, like the introduction of fuel subsidy, inorder to boost her CV for the job. This is selfishness of the highest order. Our president GEJ was used along the way,
3)The west being selfish for not giving her the job.
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by toboy: 11:14am On May 25, 2012
Ohislee: Who is more selfish?
2)Okonjo Iweala - using IMF policies to run Nigerian economy, like the introduction of fuel subsidy, inorder to boost her CV for the job. This is selfishness of the highest order. Our president GEJ was used along the way,
you make baseless argument. Can you just listen to your self for once?

1 Like

Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by opokonwa(m): 11:31am On May 25, 2012
Every business has a succession plan.
The IMF and World Bank, believe it or not, are white man's businesses portrayed as helpers of Africa and other developing economies.

The unwritten succession plan for the apex of the IMF is meant for Europeans only.
The unwritten succession plan for the apex of the the World Bank is meant for American citizens only.
Both pay the piper and dictate the tunes.

That Ngozi Okonjo Iweala challenged the Status Quo is brilliant! But that the West is selfish for not changing their succession plan to please one of their best employees and the developing economies in general, well, is unfortunate. embarassed tongue

But the Business Owner dictates the tune. The Business Owner's decision does not have to please the so-called 'beneficiaries'(Africa) or its employees(Ngozi and Co.)

Africa has its ADB (African Development Bank). If Africa feels pissed, they can all renounce their membership of the World Bank and IMF and focus entirely on the ADB. But I doubt if Africa has the balls to do that. Dis-united, fragmented and sucking on the West's balls tongue. Playing politics of talk, talk, no action,

I wonder why some people are whining here? tongue
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by Ohislee(m): 11:34am On May 25, 2012
@toboy
Its not an agument, but a question with three options.
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by AZeD1(m): 11:34am On May 25, 2012
LeoMax: Sometimes I wonder why am here in Nairaland.com, so many morons here can ruin my sense of objectivity. Who was most qualified, a medic or a Professor of Economics with 25yrs experience in the world body.
Check at Kim's cv and see what he has achieved(key word achieved) and the check NOI cv and her achievements.

2 Likes

Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by Nobody: 11:36am On May 25, 2012
The guy is seeking Nigeria's favour at least for pomo export.
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by AnotherOkija: 11:41am On May 25, 2012
For the first time ever, I have some respect for Mugabe!! He recognises the greatness of an Igbo woman!!

Infact Mugabe, this is the greatest speech you have ever made in your entire history as president of Zimbabwe!!

May the gods who have given you this wisdom also add more tenures to you!!

ALUSI OKIJA!! The gods are wise
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by claire190: 11:45am On May 25, 2012
shocked sad[quote author=opokonwa]Every business has a succession plan.
The IMF and World Bank, believe it or not, are white man's businesses portrayed as helpers of Africa and other developing economies.

The unwritten succession plan for the apex of the IMF is meant for Europeans only.
The unwritten succession plan for the apex of the the World Bank is meant for American citizens only.
Both pay the piper and dictate the tunes.

That Ngozi Okonjo Iweala challenged the Status Quo is brilliant! But tha
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by Areosapien(f): 11:46am On May 25, 2012
Ohislee: Who is more selfish?

are you a m.o.r.o.n?
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by AnotherOkija: 11:48am On May 25, 2012
Areosapien:

are you a m.o.r.o.n?

I concur!!
Re: The West Selfish For Refusing Okonjo-iweala World Bank Presidency - Mugabe by opokonwa(m): 11:51am On May 25, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Touts On Edo Highways / Mimiko Rallies Support For Jonathan, Faults Politicising Of Security Challenges / Nigerians Rain Insult On Tinubu As He Visits Buhari Today - Screenshot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.