Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? (19803 Views)

What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? / Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car / What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by xreal: 1:12pm On May 25, 2012
I see many drivers put it on for various indications.

In what situation(s) do you put yours on?

Did other road users understand your reason for the light? Let's share...

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Fhemmmy: 1:45pm On May 25, 2012
Only ought to be used when you are packed in the middle of the road, and you know it is dangerous. . . . You use it to signify to other road users that something is not right and they could pass you by if you are still driving . . .
Most road users in Nigeria has no clue what it means, i have seen many drivers used it on long journeys.

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by surefx(m): 5:08pm On May 25, 2012
In my opinion, the hazard lights should be used to notify other vehicles or drivers that your vehicle poses a danger on the road or to other road users and that they'd beware. This can happen in cases such as vehicle breakdowns, flat tires, temporarily obstructing traffic, going straight at an intersection, moving too slowly on dual carriage way or expressway, etc.

1 Like

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by bigx(m): 5:28pm On May 25, 2012
When I'm flying low grin cool & hence a "hazard" to other road users... Speed thrills wink
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by defhenry(m): 7:22pm On May 25, 2012
its called 'hazard lights'...........i guess we all know d meaning of hazard undecided

1 Like

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by DECOtech(m): 2:29am On May 26, 2012
It kills me to see those lights misused.
One driver uses it at T-junctions believing he is telling other drivers he is neither making a right or left turn.
Then I asked him this question: can d driver coming frm his left side see d indicator at d right side of his car? He said nothing.
I just hope I've been able to correct the particular guy.

3 Likes

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by xreal: 5:14pm On May 26, 2012
DECOtech: . . . uses it at T-junctions believing he is telling other drivers he is neither making a right or left turn.

exactly; Funny.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Piyke: 6:22pm On May 26, 2012
DECOtech: It kills me to see those lights misused.
One driver uses it at T-junctions believing he is telling other drivers he is neither making a right or left turn.
Then I asked him this question: can d driver coming frm his left side see d indicator at d right side of his car? He said nothing.

Although it strictly means your car has issues, lets also look at it this way; In UK for example there are lanes that when your on them it tells all other cars that ur heading across the round-about, but here in naija its not always so. In most states lanes are not that demarcated, so I really don't blame nigerians for using the hazard light to indicate that they're heading straight at a roundabout or intersection.

At least other road users understand what it means when its on at a junction grin

1 Like

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:36pm On May 26, 2012
When you are driving slowly due to some mechanical problems.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by brabus(m): 6:37pm On May 26, 2012
xreal: I see many drivers put it on for various indications.

In what situation(s) do you put yours on?

Did other road users understand your reason for the light? Let's share...

The one that amuses me most is that some drivers uses it when carrying dead body.

2 Likes

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by 702: 6:43pm On May 26, 2012
I use it when I want to do dangerous driving cuz its hazardous to other road users winkI use it when I want to do dangerous driving cuz its hazardous to other road users
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by 702: 6:46pm On May 26, 2012
I use it when I want to do dangerous driving cuz its hazardous to other road users wink

1 Like

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by valdubem(m): 6:47pm On May 26, 2012
some guys (especially d Ibos) uses this harzard light to do 'show-off'. Especially commercial drivers that uses rickety cars
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Nobody: 6:54pm On May 26, 2012
val_dubem: some guys (especially d Ibos) uses this harzard light to do 'show-off'. Especially commercial drivers that uses rickety cars
rofl

1 Like

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Nobody: 7:03pm On May 26, 2012
When car develops fault in the middle of the road
When parked in not-too-ok place/space
When taking one-way (don't ask me why, ask LCC doing slow job on Ajah-Badore road, causing traffic)

1 Like

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by xreal: 7:11pm On May 26, 2012
702: I use it when I want to do dangerous driving cuz its hazardous to other road users wink

I see, just as our so-called politicians do on convoy.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by jeezybuck: 7:12pm On May 26, 2012
val_dubem: some guys (especially d Ibos) uses this harzard light to do 'show-off'. Especially commercial drivers that uses rickety cars

LOL Igbo people sha
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by jeezybuck: 7:13pm On May 26, 2012
I use mine when there is need for speed
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Pakavy(m): 7:15pm On May 26, 2012
infact som drivers use it 2 signify they r going straight,apart 4rm d cautious part i abuse it when am in a convoy during 9te crawling
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Pakavy(m): 7:17pm On May 26, 2012
brabus:

The one that amuses me most is that some drivers uses it when carrying dead body.
dead body na hazard na 2 folks when dem fear dead body

1 Like

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Madcow(m): 7:24pm On May 26, 2012
It's also used to say 'Thanks' to drivers to make way/ give allowance/ wait for you...
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by omonla5: 7:24pm On May 26, 2012
Do you mean trafficator abi na pointer you dey talk about. Sometimes I use it when its raining heavily and the weather is dark. But most people especially commercial driver use it to inform other road users that they are moving straight and at full speed.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by xreal: 7:34pm On May 26, 2012

the main reason our so-called Politician's use it on thier convoy.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by xreal: 7:49pm On May 26, 2012
omo-nla:
Do you mean trafficator abi na pointer you dey talk about.

All na english, same ni.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by redsun(m): 8:27pm On May 26, 2012
Nigeria,like in every other thing has no driving rules.People drive using their own deluded and selfish impressions.There are no regulations or any sense in nigerian driving.Driving in nigeria is like a death race.

Hazard light should only be used at a breakdown spots or to briefly warn following traffic of impending hazard in front.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Ninilowo(m): 8:29pm On May 26, 2012
When playing Harzadous music e.g you isthe one or madam grin

2 Likes

Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by yusuf2(m): 8:33pm On May 26, 2012
I use it when i'm in a convoy, mostly when i'm on a long distant journey! I guess it's a nigerian thing to do that!

For those that use it to indicate that their cars have broken down, try not to nxt time cos it cld run down ur battery, that's what ur triangle is for. i'm talking from experience.

Plus, i think it's kind of cool, it gives u a clear lane on d express, though it hardly works if a woman is d one driving d car in ur front.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by redsun(m): 8:35pm On May 26, 2012
The fact is that we dont understand the language we speak.Certain words means nothing to nigerians,even when it is all spelt out,LIKE "HAZARD LIGHT"
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by ceaser: 8:35pm On May 26, 2012
Chei! I don do that before.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 26, 2012
At night,in the rain and T-junction.
Re: When Do You Use Your Car Hazard Light? by ceaser: 8:39pm On May 26, 2012
brabus:

grin
brabus:

Na to talk say "see me o, waka comot. I dey carry load".grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bugatti Chiron Is The Most Searched Supercar In Nigeria,see The World's Top 10 / Volvo XC40 Named European Car Of The Year / Video Of Vehicles For The Cleaner Lagos Initiative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.