Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,197 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War (14431 Views)

Buhari’s Anti-corruption War Takes Off / Mbeki’s Damning Verdict On Nigerians / Thabo Mbeki’s Verdict On Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Abali1(m): 8:34pm On May 26, 2012
Please, I need to hear from PRO-GEJ supporters on NL. I have been refreshing this page for hours now. Abeg make una no fall my hand.
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Gbawe: 8:47pm On May 26, 2012
keemness: Hilary....blame it on buhari...smh...

Clearly, no one told Hilary about the 'big bad wolf' Buhari who is not even in Government but must accept blame even when he is not able to influence the policies and directions of the crooks currently running the Nation.

Hilary better mind herself. Does she not know that Buhari and Tinubu are automatically to blame when Adoke Bello (GEJ's own Aondoakaa) is caught red-handed stealing millions of dollars? Does Hilary not understand that the evidence of hideous corruption against Jonathan, Allison-Madueke et al are the machinations of "yarobus" and "Almajiri" haters?

2 Likes

Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by bobolic: 9:09pm On May 26, 2012
Let us face it now. What does the USA actually want of us. If we must be fair to her, Mrs Waziri did a better job on the anti-corruption war than what we have now. She was frustrated by our corrupt judges and politicians. Yet Mrs Clinton got her kicked out. Now that our president himself stands indicted over this matter should they not get him sacked too?
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Kobojunkie: 9:22pm On May 26, 2012
bobolic: Let us face it now. What does the USA actually want of us. If we must be fair to her, Mrs Waziri did a better job on the anti-corruption war than what we have now. She was frustrated by our corrupt judges and politicians. Yet Mrs Clinton got her kicked out. Now that our president himself stands indicted over this matter should they not get him sacked too?

Na Clinton kick Waziri out ?? ROFLMAO!!! grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by sartorius(m): 9:33pm On May 26, 2012
I lost faith in gej after 6 months into his administration
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by alex406(m): 9:42pm On May 26, 2012
moderattor: who are we changing them with?
Most of the youth are currupt too!I think GEJ's approach to solving the problem is best.
People are stealing successfully because people don't know those who know are intimidated not to talk. But this time GEJ is allowing everyone freedom of speech, so Arunma Oteh can point out that Hembe didn't return the N44M he collected to attend a seminar.
People now know how much aso rock spends.
d most reasonable reply iv read on ds thread.

1 Like

Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by blacksta(m): 10:25pm On May 26, 2012
3 pages and counting , no Beaf
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by rapu4real: 10:33pm On May 26, 2012
ebamma: i can see why usa didn't support mrs iweala's world bank presidency bid
chiefly because she's a very corrupt woman,though experienced bt deeply corrupt i repeat.

1 Like

Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Rhino5dm: 10:47pm On May 26, 2012
Total knock out!

Gbawe:

Clearly, no one told Hilary about the 'big bad wolf' Buhari who is not even in Government but must accept blame even when he is not able to influence the policies and directions of the crooks currently running the Nation.

Hilary better mind herself. Does she not know that Buhari and Tinubu are automatically to blame when Adoke Bello (GEJ's own Aondoakaa) is caught red-handed stealing millions of dollars? Does Hilary not understand that the evidence of hideous corruption against Jonathan, Allison-Madueke et al are the machinations of "yarobus" and "Almajiri" haters?
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Rhino5dm: 10:51pm On May 26, 2012
Triple face palm!! Even the stooge couldn't stand the shaming.

blacksta: 3 pages and counting , no Beaf
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Nobody: 10:51pm On May 26, 2012
Kobojunkie: ^^ Can't wait to read what the lazy slogan will be in 2015 grin

Slogan? What of food items? grin
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Nobody: 10:52pm On May 26, 2012
Jenams: i honestly thougth GEJ will be shakin nigeria wit development in all sectors by now! i dnt knw wat convinced me to vote for him sha.
Awww, its ok sha. If hunger doesn't kill you before 2015, just try to live with the guilt of your sins.
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Nobody: 10:55pm On May 26, 2012
sartorius: I lost faith in gej after 6 months into his administration
6 months what others saw even before the first vote was cast?! Wow. . . Anyway its ok sha, at least you confessed your sins.
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Nobody: 11:03pm On May 26, 2012
Abali1: Please, I need to hear from PRO-GEJ supporters on NL. I have been refreshing this page for hours now. Abeg make una no fall my hand.

Abi o? Make we park well dey wait. They must come grin
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Nobody: 11:12pm On May 26, 2012
ogugua88:

Me too o. A first time visitor to NL would think this was a purely Anti-GEJ website and that the likes of Beaf, Papa Browne and Jermaine did not roam around here like hungry, rabid hyenas 24/7.

1 Like

Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by kim77: 11:54pm On May 26, 2012
Fellow Nigerians, Let us continue to pray to GOD for our freedom from the heartless politicians, cabals and Government officials who have been siphoning our common wealth. What we are seeing in the open now has been in existence since independence with corruption , embezlement,maniputation of NNPC etc increasing systematically over the years, now its gradually reaching the elastic limit. I hope we all updating our records of corrupt politicians and Government officials since 1960 against the day of reconing? . GEJ should continue to act his script (am enjoying the drama) so that we will not miss out a member of the cabal gripping our nation jugular vein. ......I love GEJ government (It opens up our eyes , so let us pray for him to suceed).....This is for the wise ones

1 Like

Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Nobody: 1:52am On May 27, 2012
Na wa o, 24hrs and Beaf never show face yet he's sneaking in and out of here clicking "likes" and running off and fighting on threads other than this one; what a slimy hypocrite. Smh
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Nobody: 4:22am On May 27, 2012
wetin dey happen na? where is beaf and co to come and attack this slander against their illustrious son?

abeg come and post hillary clinton's history and tell us how she embezzled money etal - no be ya modus operandi be that?

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Nobody: 4:27am On May 27, 2012
oyb: wetin dey happen na? where is beaf and co to come and attack this slander against their illustrious son?

abeg come and post hillary clinton's history and tell us how she embezzled money etal - no be ya modus operandi be that?

Hes on other threads insulting me, but he won't come here. Useless human thing!
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Nobody: 4:28am On May 27, 2012
oyb: wetin dey happen na? where is beaf and co to come and attack this slander against their illustrious son?

Lmaoooooooo
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by murtalaa(m): 5:56am On May 27, 2012
Kobojunkie:

A Student of natural science? A direct correlation between free and fair election and good governance?
Oh my gosh!!! Please tell me what school you attend so I make sure I do not recommend such junkyard to anyone I care for. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
is that the best argument you can put up? I am disappointed in ever engaging with you. Its never gonna happen. People bereft of ideas always resort to vulgarism.
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by murtalaa(m): 6:23am On May 27, 2012
ijigbamigb:

Well I think he actually attended same school GEJ. PHD attended...
Mr. Natural Scientist, There exist no direct relationship between a free and fair election and good governance, though a free and fair election is an important requisite for good governance as a free and fair election assures legitimacy and acceptability. In the case of GEJ, we should study him from the behavioral perspective taking his personal idiosyncrasies into consideration. His policies reflects the kind of PERSON he is...his reaction to National Security Issues, Oppositions, elder statesmen (eg. Chinua Achebe after rejecting the national award), economic matters, his choice for cabinet members...etc. All these things mentioned here and many more portrays him to be a mere opportunist who rode on the hungry desire of Nigerians to shift power from the north to the South for the sake of development...

i wish to say more but bat3 low... cry cry
there is a saying that its better to remain silent and be perceived a fool than to speak and remove all doubts. Just go over your post and tell me if you have not proved what i said. Requirement implies dependability and hence the correlation i was taking abt. Since you must have skipped logic class i will break it down for you. If you were ever a candidate for university admission you will know that if x is a requirement to admission, then without x, there is no admission. We can deduce that x has a direct correlation to admission. Just substitute x for free and fair election, and admission for good governance and see what u arrive at. See? its nt rocket science. Between me and you, who is now the product some podunk university GEJ attended?
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Bontee: 7:48am On May 27, 2012

In its year 2011 report on global human rights released Thursday by the State Department, the U.S. said the three tiers of the Nigerian government was ridden with "massive, widespread and pervasive corruption," that failed to receive appropriate punitive response from the authorities.

"The law provides criminal penalties for official corruption; however, the government did not implement the law effectively, and officials frequently engaged in corrupt practices with impunity," the report, submitted by Secretary of States, Hillary Clinton, to the U.S. Congress said.

"Massive, widespread, and pervasive corruption affected[b] all levels of government and the security forces[/b]," it continued.

As usual they always try to distract from the main message of the article by changing the headline into a sensational one and focusing on the president alone. People should get their self educated and see the bold statements from the article and give this discussion a purposeful direction as it is just a fruitless and ignorant bashing thread.

I don't understand why grownups cannot read the article with an open mind, get the main mssage and discuss properly instead of falling in line with people who are solely out there to bash the president. I hope anyone that wants to reply knows the full meaning behind the phrase, three tiers of government?. It was an equal and total condemnation and i see no reason for the thread direction through sensational headlines.
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by bkoy: 7:59am On May 27, 2012
sartorius: I lost faith in gej after 6 months into his administration

I never had faith in him... GEJ can't win a local govt(if they call it dat) election in the United States and he won a Presidential election in Nigeria. Dat guy jst don't have stuff in his brain...
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by bakila: 8:16am On May 27, 2012
doctokwus: Under Obj,corruption was very big& of growing concern;but under GEJ it has reached epidemic proportions;its as if money is just being printed by d cbn to b disbursed to any person in position of authority,to make matters worse,d EFCC has become comatose& d judiciary for d highest bidder;arraignment in court for corruption related activities by d EFCC has bn a status symbol of how big u av embezzled.

Someone told me that if you are brought to the police in Abuja for stealing five to one hundred million they will maltreat and beat the hell into you. The reason for your ordeal is because you dnt steal enough, cos how much will they take from the money and what Balance will they leave you with.
All this gragra america do not rubbish, they give him permission to allow corruption thrive.
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by bakila: 8:39am On May 27, 2012
Bontee:

As usual they always try to distract from the main message of the article by changing the headline into a sensational one and focusing on the president alone. People should get their self educated and see the bold statements from the article and give this discussion a purposeful direction as it is just a fruitless and ignorant bashing thread.

I don't understand why grownups cannot read the article with an open mind, get the main mssage and discuss properly instead of falling in line with people who are solely out there to bash the president. I hope anyone that wants to reply knows the full meaning behind the phrase, three tiers of government?. It was an equal and total condemnation and i see no reason for the thread direction through sensational headlines.

Well, the president is in charge of the executive arm. Owners of power to disburse funds and to execute LAW guiding it lawful appropriation. The executive are owners of the Police, EFCC ICPC are presidency organs. A Judge recieve bribe, its the presidency's ICPC or FG POLICE that go after him. If just 40 top civil ser, ministas, legistos judges and other pen robbers go to jail and their assets returned to Govt courtsey icpc, efccpolis wont U say punisment are spread and the Americans uncharitable wt their comments?
The is President on top of gud or bad, Only Dame P can go on top him.
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by bakila: 8:45am On May 27, 2012
rapu4real: chiefly because she's a very corrupt woman,though experienced bt deeply corrupt i repeat.

Hmm deeply corrupt please share on the deepness. Seems the woman knows how to hide her hands from appearing at the till.
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Gbawe: 8:45am On May 27, 2012
ogugua88:

They have sent someone to Buhari's village to go and take pictures of random Mansions they will try and pass off as evidence of Buhari's corruption. Never mind the idiocy and total stupidity of focusing on a man with no executive power while they remain blind to how Mr.President, the freshest of "fresh air", and his gang loot the nation dry with scams everywhere. Shameless bunch of traitors .

http://www.punchng.com/news/jonathan-silent-on-role-in-n155bn-oil-scandal/

Jonathan silent on role in N155bn oil scandal
May 25, 2012 by Our Correspondents 262 Comments
President Goodluck Jonathan

The Federal Government has refused to explain the role played by President Goodluck Jonathan and other government officials in a scandal allegedly involving government officials, Shell, ENI subsidiaries in Nigeria, a Nigerian oil firm and a former petroleum minister. However, on Thursday, the civil society and opposition parties criticized government’s silence, while also calling for a probe.

A report by the United States-based anti-corruption NGO, Global Witness, had said that Nigerian subsidiaries of both Shell and ENI agreed to pay $1.092bn to the Federal Government for oil block OPL 245.

The report entitled, “Shell’s obscure payments kill its case for weak US and EU transparency laws”, further alleged that the Federal Government then paid the entire N155bn to Malabu Oil and Gas, a company owned by Mr. Dan Etete, a former oil minister under the late General Sani Abacha.

[size=14pt]An online news medium, PREMIUM TIMES, in a follow up on its earlier version of a report on Thursday, had stated that money was paid on the order of Jonathan.

It also alleged that the money was a slush fund, “with a huge chunk of it ending in bank accounts of cronies and business associates of government officials.”
[/size]

Global Witness said documents in a New York court, stated that “…it does appear that the FGN (Federal Government of Nigeria) was indeed the proverbial “straw man” holding $1.1bn for ultimate payment to Malabu.”

Experts describe the process as round-tripping, adding that it is a tool widely used by corrupt government officials and businessmen for money laundering and tax evasion.

Efforts to get the President’s spokesman, Dr. Ruben Abati’s reaction to the money laundering allegation on Thursday were not successful, despite the sensitive nature of the allegation.

When called, Abati did not pick his mobile phone neither did he respond to an SMS send to him, asking for the Presidency’s reaction on the matter.

The report alleged that the President had instructed the Minister of State for Finance, Dr. Yerima Ngama, and Attorney General of the Federation, Mr. Mohammed Adoke (SAN) to pay the money to Malabu.

When contacted, the Chief Press Secretary to the Minister of State for Finance, Mallam M. Nakoji, said he could not comment on the N155bn money laundering controversy since he was not familiar with the issue.

He said the minister could not be reached because he (Ngama) was in Port-Harcourt attending a meeting.

He, however, promised to get the response of the minister on Friday. Repeated calls put across to the minister was not picked. Similarly, a text message sent to him at 4:03pm was not replied.

Also, efforts to get a reaction from the AGF were not successful as at the time of filing this report.

Our correspondent could not see the Minister when he called at his office in the Ministry of Justice.

The AGF’s Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Ambrose Momoh, who was also not in the office at the time our correspondent visited, did not respond to calls on his mobile telephone. A text message sent to him was not replied.

Similarly, Shell failed to address the issue of the fraud involved when contacted for comments by one of our correspondents on Thursday. The oil giant said in line with its information policy, it could not reveal commercially sensitive information. It also added that it could not comment further on the papers filed in the New York court proceedings.

“Shell remains committed to the principles of disclosure as set forth by the Extractive Industry Transparency Initiative and in April 2012, we have published details of payments made to governments in 2011 of some of the main countries where we operate,” it added.

Shell, described the details of the agreement between Agip, the Federal Government and Shell as the settlement of various commercial and legal issues.

Also, Agip (ENI) refused to make comments when contacted on the telephone by the correspondent. Its spokesperson, Mr. Tajudeen Adigun, referred our correspondent to the Federal Government, saying the Federal Government was in a better situation to explain developments from the deal.

The EFCC, which was reported to have investigated the allegation also refused not comment on it on Thursday.

When contacted, the spokesperson of the EFCC, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, told our correspondent that he was yet to get confirmation from the appropriate authority but promised to “get back.”

He said, “The person is not available and I can’t reach him at the moment. I can’t reach those that would give you confirmation. But if I am able to do that before it is too late, I will let you know.”

Amidst the unexpected silence from the various interests concerned, including the Federal Government, Shell and ENI, among others, civil rights groups took the gauntlet on Thursday, decrying the discomforting silence. The groups and prominent Nigerians said the scandal was indicative of the administration’s nonchalance to the fight against corruption.

Condemning the payments, the Congress for Progressive Change, said that the Jonathan administration was more concerned about looting than governance.

The CPC spokesman, Rotimi Fashakin, in an SMS to one of our correspondents, stated, “After the death of Abacha, much noise was made on the tens of billions of naira that later became known as the Abacha loot.

“Little did we realize that successive PDP governments would dwarf his records in mindless rapaciousness and kleptomaniac impudence. But in all these sleazy records, this Jonathan administration beats them all. No inspiring governance, only looting.”

[size=14pt]Also, the Campaign for Democracy president, Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin, said that with the money laundering allegation, the Jonathan government had taken corruption to a new height.

“It is now one day one scandal for the government. That not one person has resigned in all the mind boggling corruption scandals under Jonathan shows that the commander-in-chief is friendly with corruption and it is so sad,” she said.
[/size]
Condemning the Federal Government, Executive Director, African Network for Environmental and Economic Justice, Rev. David Ugolor, stated that there was no lack of transparency in the oil and gas sector industry in Nigeria.

According to him, the Presidency must take responsibility for the absence of transparency in the industry.

He stated, “If the petroleum resources minister continues to have discretionary powers without recourse to the National Assembly, we will continue to see this kind of problem.

“This is why they don’t want the sector to be reformed. This is only one of the many corrupt cases. We have been asking question about the renewal of a contract for Exxon Mobil and there has not been any response.

“You recall that during the nationwide demonstration in January, the President promised to reform the oil industry. He said he was going to ensure the quick passage of the Petroleum Industry Bill. What has happened since then?”

Ugolor called for a public hearing on the money laundering allegation, adding that the EFCC must probe the issue.

He stated, “What we are seeing now is just a tip of the iceberg. Lack of transparency has been the bane of oil and gas operations in the country. We also want the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to be involved in the probe. This is the way to end the culture of impunity in Nigeria.”

Also, a former governor of Kaduna State and leader of the umbrella body of the opposition parties in Nigeria, the Conference of Nigeria Political Parties, Alhaji Balarabe Musa, simply noted that he was not surprised Jonathan could be named in such act.

According to him, it was impossible for anybody in Nigeria to become president or governor without pilfering the nation’s treasury.

He said, “I am not surprise. I would have been surprised if the reverse was the case. You know I have always maintained that all Nigerian leaders are thieves. I doubt if it is possible for somebody who is not a thief to be president or governor in Nigeria under the present circumstances. So I am not surprised.”
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Hoodrat(m): 9:08am On May 27, 2012
kingoflag: Awww, its ok sha. If hunger doesn't kill you before 2015, just try to live with the guilt of your sins.

Lol grin
kingoflag: Awww, its ok sha. If hunger doesn't kill you before 2015, just try to live with the guilt of your sins.

Lol.
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Kobojunkie: 12:10pm On May 27, 2012
murtalaa: there is a saying that its better to remain silent and be perceived a fool than to speak and remove all doubts. Just go over your post and tell me if you have not proved what i said. Requirement implies dependability and hence the correlation i was taking abt. Since you must have skipped logic class i will break it down for you. If you were ever a candidate for university admission you will know that if x is a requirement to admission, then without x, there is no admission. We can deduce that x has a direct correlation to admission. Just substitute x for free and fair election, and admission for good governance and see what u arrive at. See? its nt rocket science. Between me and you, who is now the product some podunk university GEJ attended?

You should have taken your own advice there from the very start. Telling us that now only reveals you are probably the f00l here who just won't shut up.

Again, electing a president does not then suggest that he/she will turn out to be a good leader. Please demand a refund from whatever school taught you that it is so. And Since you have access to the almighty internet, please spend some time educating yourself, Mr Natural Science student, on what Elections are really for, and how far having a free and fair election goes in determining the cause a Nation takes.

It bothers me that the Education system is still in the dumps.
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by Kobojunkie: 12:36pm On May 27, 2012
Bontee:

We live in the information age, if you are confused as to how your government ought to work for you, at least do some research before spewing what could only pass as the vomits of another ignorant person with access to a computer.

The reason we go through the trouble of electing a C-in-C and President, is so that we can have an OVERALL person ensuring that the companies works from the top down. The reason the US targeted the Presidency in this is the country understands this is how it ought to work.

The Office that has the ULTIMATE POWER to FIGHT AND CURB CORRUPTION AT ALL LEVELS IN NIGERIA happens to be that occupied by Goodluck Jonathan, and since he is not doing a good job at it, CORRUPTION CONTINUES TO EXIST IN ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT. Do I need to draw you a diagram next? undecided undecided
Re: U.S Delivers Damning Verdict On GEJ’s Anti-corruption War by nduchucks: 1:30pm On May 27, 2012
For the information of nairalanders, I will post excerps from the "Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2011" which was just released by Mrs Clinton's state department. I will start with this excerp from the Executive Summary and return a bit later with "Section 4. Official Corruption and Government Transparency", a topic which many seem interested in.

Impunity was widespread at all levels of government. The government brought few persons to justice for abuses and corruption. Police generally operated with impunity. Authorities did not investigate the majority of cases of police abuse or punish perpetrators. Authorities generally did not hold police accountable for the use of excessive or deadly force or for the deaths of persons in custody.

The militant sect known as Boko Haram perpetrated killings and bomb attacks throughout the country. The sect continued to mount regular assaults and bombings in Borno and Bauchi states. The sect claimed responsibility for the January 1 bombing of the Mogadishu Barracks in Abuja, the July 16 suicide bombing of the police headquarters in Abuja, and the August 26 suicide bombing of the UN headquarters in Abuja. By the end of the year, the government and Boko Haram had not engaged in dialogue.

This piece is also interesting, Uncle Jon may be watching you people here smiley:

Internet Freedom

There were few government restrictions on access to the Internet or credible reports that the government monitored e-mail or Internet chat rooms. shocked Individuals and groups generally engaged in expression of views via the Internet, including by e-mail, shocked with few exceptions.

Several Internet news sites critical of the government experienced server problems, which site owners attributed to government interference. Such disruptions usually lasted a few hours.

In January Jigawa police arrested and detained Moukhtari Ibrahim Aminu after he insulted Jigawa Governor Sule Lamido on his Facebook page. Police detained Aminu for 10 days, after which he was arraigned and remanded in prison until February 7. There were no new developments in the case by year’s end.

In March 2010 a Kaduna sharia court ordered the immediate suspension of all debates on blogs and the online social networking sites Facebook and Twitter regarding the 1999 amputation of Bello Buba Jangebe’s right hand as punishment for stealing a cow. The court issued a restraining order to prevent an NGO, the Civil Rights Congress, from discussing the decade-old case in its online forums. The presiding judge stated that the defendants, as Muslims, had no right to question any judgment given by a sharia court. The judge’s order represented the first of its kind restricting Internet freedom. There were no reports of government attempts to collect or disclose personally identifiable information in connection with a person’s peaceful expression of political, religious, or ideological opinion or belief.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC Has Been Registered - Bisi Akande / Patience Jonathan Calls For Peace In Rivers State / FG To Use Seized Properties As Offices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.