Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,389 members, 7,781,118 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:18 AM

Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? (35448 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Do Igalas See Themselves As Yorubas? (Official Igala Thread) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ezotik: 5:48pm On May 28, 2012
alj harem:

We see Nigerian as our brothers but Those that don't see us as brothers cannot and WOULD NOT BE force to do so, I hope you understand our position.

Thanks

so who are those who do not see other nigerians as brothers?

BTW u ta ohoghe gbe, how can one say Usman was born of a yoruba woman ?

lol, ask negro nations.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Malawian(m): 8:53pm On May 28, 2012
I cant believe this! The same yorubas that claim their progenator fell from the sky and did not break his head in the process are here claiming the royal peoples of the EDOs. Anybody tell una say edo people head dey miss one or two nuts like una own when oduduwa forget parachaute fly come down like say him na clark kent.
this brings me to my second thought as to why yoruba dey claim edo. OYIL!!! They have claimed the one at ilaje as theirs even though the people there are ijaws now they are after edo oil as well. See as them do mouth like CRUDE OIL. Palm oil don finish wey una wan stock up on wetin una go use to arrange una ofe mmanu?

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ak47mann(m): 9:03pm On May 28, 2012
Malawian: I cant believe this! The same yorubas that claim their progenator fell from the sky and did not break his head in the process are here claiming the royal peoples of the EDOs. Anybody tell una say edo people head dey miss one or two nuts like una own when oduduwa forget parachaute fly come down like say him na clark kent.
this brings me to my second thought as to why yoruba dey claim edo. OYIL!!! They have claimed the one at ilaje as theirs even though the people there are ijaws now they are after edo oil as well. See as them do mouth like CRUDE OIL. Palm oil don finish wey una wan stock up on wetin una go use to arrange una ofe mmanu?
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin internet i love internet it had change the world, liars had no place to hide anymore hehehehehehe cool

2 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by coldiz: 12:08pm On May 30, 2012
Wait o... Where that chain wey Oduduwa take climb down sef?... Abi heaven collect d chain bk frm am?... Pple of those days no even wise sef... If na today, men for dey use that same chain take climb enter heaven... Its not a small matter o....
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by coldiz: 1:05pm On May 30, 2012
Once upon a time, there lived a community of people(yorubas) who lived under an iroko tree... They were so much at peace until a certain day wen an individual(Izoduwa) wandered from the bush(after being banished from benin kingdom).. On getting to the community, he realised these pple were fast asleep and there was not space for him under the big iroko tree to sleep... So he decided to climb to d top of the tree to pass the night(superman tins).. On waking up the following morning, he realised this community of people were awake already and didn't even notice him up there... So he decided to climb down wt a rope(Tarzan tins)... This community of people were so amazed as they neva saw a tin like dis before and so they chose him as a king... 3000 years later, the descendants of both parties are on nairaland fighting for supremacy... Now tell me, who is to be blamed?... The gods, Izoduwa, the community of pple or the iroko tree?....

4 Likes

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by warrior101: 12:24am On Jun 03, 2012
ezotik:

so who do the yorubas do not see as brothers? aren't we are all nigerians? as far as i know, some yorubas consider the fulanis as brothers. i have read posts on here of how dan fodio was born of a yoruba woman. but will it not be absurd to ask the fulanis if they see themselves as yoruba?

and if nigeria should break up, dont worry about us. if i were u, i'd be more concerned about the ijaws in ur backyard. they are becoming militant, they have a seating president, and they are settled in all so-called yoruba states along the coast.

I want to believe than an exodus began from around egypt, ethiopia, libya etc and then came and spread all over nigeria from the north .. 4 instance edo share these words with other cultures
Bini. Osa god
Yoruba. Orisa

Bini. Amurupa candle
Yoruba. Atupa or shakabula

Bini. Mune~mune that night insect with green light
Yoruba. Mana~mana or tana~tana

Bini. Ekita dog
Ibo. Nkita

The list goes on. I am using my fone
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by tpia5: 1:29am On Jun 03, 2012
PhysicsQED: Hmmm. . .it's really only on NL that I've heard about any Edo or Edoid people perceiving Yorubas as being cowards and backstabbers/betrayers, but I guess I can only speak for and vouch for the people I've come into immediate contact with. Other people will doubtless have their own differing views, though I'd prefer it if they didn't pretend like they were speaking for entire groups when expressing their own views and opinions.

warrior101:

A real bini man thinks yoruba are cowards and dirty... Even a 5yrs old will tell you. Are you surprised?

i personally havent met a bini person who echoed the kumbaya stuff i read on nl.

I think people are getting the issue confused due to the fact that many edo women marry yoruba men. So they assume this means edos/binis have a friendship bond with yoruba.

i had bini (real bini, not diaspora bini, lol) friends while growing up and they told me what binis from biniland think of yoruba.

though in fairness to them, is there any tribe binis really like.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by tpia5: 1:34am On Jun 03, 2012
anyway, the thread is clearly just meant to drive traffic to seun's site, so, i'm out.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ezotik: 2:00am On Jun 03, 2012
^
thanks for adding the opinions of ur imaginary friends to the thread, and countering ignorance with ignorance.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by tpia5: 2:02am On Jun 03, 2012
^^nice attempt to keep me on the thread. undecided

why would i make up stories about having original bini friends?

is your "bini" identity threatened?

are you originally a visitor to benin who "naturalized" there?
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ezotik: 2:12am On Jun 03, 2012
u couldnt keep away from the thread even if u were paid a billion dollars to stay out.

and i should be the one posing that question to u. is ur yoruba identity threatened?

or to phrase it better, is the yoruba identity threatened? that they need to include others to feel secure?

move along and tell ur people to stop starting such threads.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ak47mann(m): 3:16am On Jun 03, 2012
the question should be were did yoruba really come from,were they caved out from Benin kingdom and later settle in SW part of the country or did they came from neighboring country and settle in SW of Nigeria?
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by ezotik: 3:44am On Jun 03, 2012
tpia@:

the fact that many edo women marry yoruba men.

and with the fact that many igbo women marry yoruba men. so who knows? maybe the stereotype that yoruba women cant cook is a fact, hence why yoruba men are opting for others. so go improve ur culinary skills instead of playing all day with ur imaginary "bini" friends. do.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:46pm On Jun 03, 2012
Tpia, what did your 'real' Bini friends tell you Binis in general think of Yorubas? And how old were they at the time?

And what is it that the Bini in particular do that makes it seem like there's no other ethnic group that they 'like'? And do any other Nigerian groups behave similarly?

I'm just asking for my own enlightenment.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Malawian(m): 10:10pm On Jun 03, 2012
Edo people dont see themselves as yorubas. I am an igbo, i have lived in lagos all my life, and i went to the university at ekpoma. So i am both a neutral as well as having lived amongst the two sets of people. Pls, pls and pls, stop forthwith with these vexful "chingumming" of yourselfs with edo people. Edo people share boundaries with a lot of tribes in nigeria. Thet dont eat Yoruba, they dont have a screw loose in their head, they are by far more hardworking than yerubas, they are not always looting the tresury, they have crude oil - you dont, their progenator did not form clark kent and flew down to earth without parachaute, they dont have tonal difficulties when pronounsing certain english words e.g "HINGLISH, HIAJIACKED etc", they are quite pretty especially their chicks, i can go on and on. Abeg make una no vex me for here o. Edo people are edo. They share boundaries with yoruba, igbo, ijaw, so many other southern tribes and many northern tribes as well. Yaribas tried to colonise every group in the old western region even aniomas. Una plan don fail. No crude oil for una.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Malawian(m): 10:47pm On Jun 03, 2012
And even to the ugly aspects of the edo people, edo superior craft weigh pass yoruba own, that speaks about competence. Ishan boys sabi how to hold their chicks together. Them no need the cowardly "magun" the yerubas apply on their wayward females. Ekpoma has the vicious cult groups in nigeria even though cultism started in yeruba land.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by coldiz: 6:57pm On Jun 06, 2012
Malawian: And even to the ugly aspects of the edo people, edo superior craft weigh pass yoruba own, that speaks about competence. Ishan boys sabi how to hold their chicks together. Them no need the cowardly "magun" the yerubas apply on their wayward females. Ekpoma has the vicious cult groups in nigeria even though cultism started in yeruba land.

I adof my coco for u on behalf of my capito... May ur dayses be long....
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by aljharem(m): 8:04pm On Jun 06, 2012
Malawian: And even to the ugly aspects of the edo people, edo superior craft weigh pass yoruba own, that speaks about competence. Ishan boys sabi how to hold their chicks together. Them no need the cowardly "magun" the yerubas apply on their wayward females. Ekpoma has the vicious cult groups in nigeria even though cultism started in yeruba land.

you sound so stu.pid, is cultism something we are meant to be proud of ?

Maybe it is show of bravery according to Igbo tradition. Well primitive brains, I could expect less.

coldiz:

I adof my coco for u on behalf of my capito... May ur dayses be long....

can u shut up, why are you dragging this thread ? Edo can see themselves as whatever they like, the OP is an Igbo poster so I could careless. Please just cause you see yourselves as whatever be it edo or not does not give you the right to insult the yorubas ok !

I hope my point is clear ?
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Malawian(m): 8:36pm On Jun 06, 2012
@ Alh boko hajrem, u r the one that sounds stupid. Where did i ever praise cultism? Didn't they teach you "reading and comprehension" when you were in primary school? I was going to explain myself, but obviously, it is belated to think you could even follow. Boy, must be the nunu mai ruma doing damage to your brain cells.grin

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Malawian(m): 8:47pm On Jun 06, 2012
@ Boko hajrem, i started that post with " even to the UGLY aspects of edo ...". Maybe u did not see that or perhaps, u dont know how that "qualifies" the rest of the post. You need to return to primary school; do yourself a favour, will you?! undecided
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by tosank: 3:53pm On Jun 08, 2012
Finally I have my answers.
If Edos are not Yoruba this thread wouldn't have attracted this breadthtaking traffic. I see now that Edos are indeed Yorubas and Yorubas, Edos.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jun 11, 2012
Lol at Bini man looking down on an Esan man. For where that one wan happen? grin
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jun 15, 2012
tosank: Finally I have my answers.
If Edos are not Yoruba this thread wouldn't have attracted this breadthtaking traffic. I see now that Edos are indeed Yorubas and Yorubas, Edos.
trying to console yourself after the binis and other tribes in edo have outrightly denied and cast you yorubas aside.where have you been hiding all this while,this thread did not start on the 8th june,COWARD.I can see the fixation of your people on edo and delta is because of oyel and not due to any ethnic/cultural afinity,which explains why you people have given up on ilorin and western kogi,because they dont have oyel.

1 Like

Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by tosank: 7:10pm On Jun 17, 2012
They love us, so let them be! We are the all-welcoming big brother
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Obalufon: 9:50am On Jun 24, 2012
Okay igbos!! Edo is igbo "Some bastard Edo can see themselves as igbos .We don't associate ourselves to no one,Yoruba tribe is well respected in the world, we're unique tribe in Africa . Edo and Yoruba share history, Odua territory was shared between Benin kingdom and oyo Empire without a fight,Oyo empire then didn't even cover must part of known Yoruba land of today,Oyo Empire is far to the west to present day upper Volta ,Togo Dahomey.Benin kingdom covered must part of Yoruba land ondo ekiti ,osun ,Lagos and ijebus. when Ibadan tried to unify due to external aggression from the Fulani Islamic jihadist it resulted in to Yoruba civil war.
Re: Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? by Ngodigha1(m): 2:19pm On Jun 24, 2012
Obalufon: Okay igbos!! Edo is igbo "Some bastard Edo can see themselves as igbos .We don't associate ourselves to no one,Yoruba tribe is well respected in the world, we're unique tribe in Africa . Edo and Yoruba share history, Odua territory was shared between Benin kingdom and oyo Empire without a fight,Oyo empire then didn't even cover must part of known Yoruba land of today,Oyo Empire is far to the west to present day upper Volta ,Togo Dahomey.Benin kingdom covered must part of Yoruba land ondo ekiti ,osun ,Lagos and ijebus. when Ibadan tried to unify due to external aggression from the Fulani Islamic jihadist it resulted in to Yoruba civil war.
The above idiotic post is totally irrelevant. This thread has nothing to do with the Igbo and as a result, no need to mention Igbo. It shows how insecure you feel in Nigeria. What a shame.
One uninformed poster claimed edos seem themselves as yorubas and Edos came up and said no and supported by well informed nairalanders of diverse ethnic backgrounds. No need to display stupidity at a public forum. Abi them swear for you?. Nonsense.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

#10YearsChallenge: Oba Elegushi And Tinubu 10 Years Throwback Photo / Racism/Colorism Prejudice Against Lightskin & Mixed "Black" People / How We Spent N4.314Bn Emirate Funds - Sanusi Emirate Releases Expenditures (Pdf)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.