Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,488 members, 7,808,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:12 PM

Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer (17132 Views)

Abati Explains Why The president Didn't Say Amen To anti Corruption Prayer / Ruben Abati Explains Why The President Didn’t Say Amen To Anti-corruption Prayer / Reuben Abati Explains Why The President Didn't Say Amen To Anti Corruption Pray (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by Nobody: 4:03am On May 28, 2012
President Goodluck Jonathan, governors, ministers and top government officials on Sunday failed to demonstrate a public commitment to the fight against corruption.

At the interdenominational church service held at the Ecumenical Centre, Abuja, to commemorate the 2012 National Democracy Day, the guest preacher and immediate past Prelate of the Anglican Church of Nigeria, Most Reverend Peter Akinola, in his sermon, challenged the congregation to join him in the fight against corruption in the country by committing perpetrators to God.

But the congregation, including the President, who was accompanied by his wife, Patience, the Governor of Bayelsa, Seriake Dickson and Kaduna, Patrick Yakowa, Deputy Governor of Nasarawa state, Dameshi Luka, as well as some ministers failed to respond to prayers to take corrupt officials “to the court of God.”

Apparently, expecting to hear a thunderous YES from the congregation, the Reverend, who instead got a deafening silence, exclaimed: “There you go! Oh, corruption! So, you are not ready to fight it, because you are all beneficiaries of it. Whether you steal in a small or big way, stealing is stealing."

Apparently disappointed with the response he got, the clergyman shot angrily at Mr. Jonathan and his delegation, “See, it is very clear. You are not interested in fighting corruption. If you do, let us take our case to the court of God, if you dare. Who is deceiving who? You are only deceiving yourselves, not God. And you who is stealing government funds, subjecting the poor to untold hardship; you who steal oil subsidy money, making Nigerians pay for fuel through their noses; you who steal funds meant for improving our power supply, deliberately making Nigerians live a life in utter darkness, will you repent today? I doubt it!"

Before throwing the challenge at the president and other officials at the Service, Mr. Akinola had delivered a homily on the destructive impact of corruption on Nigeria.

“This hydra headed monster (of corruption) has literarily taken over the soul and eaten up the fabric of Nigeria,” Reverend Akinola said. “Officials steal our public funds openly by the pen, while others steal by the power of the gun. Successive governments have declared half-hearted war against corruption to no avail. We know only too well that the fight against corruption is largely selective directed at those opposing the government, with no strong political connection.

“Many of those fighting it (corruption) in police and Judiciary have no clean hands. When any National Assembly Committee or any government agency is inviting anybody for questioning it is because those being investigated have not yet given the agency inviting it their due share of the booty.

“Worse still, those who have cleverly made away with public funds and are living above their legitimate incomes are those who are being honoured by traditional rulers, who make them chiefs and high chiefs. Recently, our universities have joined the queue by inviting those people and giving them some baseless honorary doctorate degrees.Sadly, therefore, corruption will continue in full gear, because Nigerians and the government only pay lip service to its eradication. But, I believed as a Christian, as a preacher, as one who reads the Bible, there a way out."

He continued, “Corruption in a narrow sense is another name for stealing. Stealing is a sin God commands us all not to commit. As you know every soul that sins and fails to repent shall die in his sin and end up in hell. So, let us resolve here today to take to the court of God, beginning from this place, all those thieves, who have failed to repent. Will you join me?

“You who steal the money for road construction, leaving our roads in a state of disrepair, causing several accidents and untimely deaths of thousands of our people, their blood is crying to the creator. You who steal the money earmarked for healthcare delivery, thereby running down and turning our hospitals into mortuaries; you who have destroyed our educational system, because the money meant for schools never got to them; you who make laws to inflate costs included in the budget, are you listening to me?

“All of you, whoever you are, greedy, arrogant politicians and officials who are in government only for what you can steal from it and virtually nothing to contribute to national development and has turned Nigeria into a wretch, repent today, and make reparations and God will have mercy on you. Don’t say Amen, only if you repent.

“It is true that ICPC, EFCC, the Police, judiciary may not catch you stealing. But believe me, the all-seeing, all-knowing, all-wise and the almighty God sees you very clearly. But, He is patiently waiting for you to return to the path of sanity and righteousness.”

In his speech, President Jonathan did not react to the issues raised by the preacher, who also proffered a proposal for a new Nigeria.

The president, who identified terrorism as a major challenge the country is currently facing, said with the prayers of Nigerians and commitment of government, “we will overcome”.

“We are working very hard to reposition our security architecture to cope with the modern challenge of terror. We will overcome,” he said. “Even though some people are predicting the disintegration of Nigeria, let me assure Nigerians that Nigeria will never disintegrate. Our forefathers worked hard to bring us together as a nation. Because of the country’s potentials and resources, no one individual or group can create problems that can disintegrate this country.”

Source:http://saharareporters.com/news-page/democracy-day-church-service-president-jonathan-ministers-refuse-say-amen-anti-corruption-

3 Likes

Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by Nobody: 4:05am On May 28, 2012
Hmnnnn, Jesus wept aloud!!!

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by Mcdondayan: 5:33am On May 28, 2012
If this story is true, then Nigeria is in a dip shit.
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by ckkris: 5:59am On May 28, 2012
Bayo,
You can't edit anyone's prayers. There's no way you can hear the dialogue going on in another person's spirit and soul. Prayers are beyond journalism and poliTricks. But thanks for reporting this timely preaching by Archbishop Akinola, who had previously, in prayers and reasonable actions, subdued, and overcome Professor Rowan William, Archbishop of Canterbury, who permitted, or even supported unacceptable practices in the Church. Bayo, do you believe in JESUS? Your comment "Jesus wept aloud" sounds so dubious, it seems it's designed to mislead Christians into wrong conclusions.

1 Like

Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by Nobody: 6:02am On May 28, 2012
My stomach just turned.

You know, during the fuel subsidy strikes, people were forwarding this image and I refused to be a part of it, because I found it disrespectful. I have now come to realize that the picture is quite an accurate depiction of the ghoul scoundrel Nigerians elected freely and fairly to office.

Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by Nobody: 6:34am On May 28, 2012
can they photoshop him when in his cowboy traditional attire?
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by tchaik(m): 6:48am On May 28, 2012
@POSTER, what were you expecting? Do you want them to swear for themselves? No sane person can break a bridge which he knows quite well he will still use! And the most unfortunate part is that most Nigerians would not have said AMEN. Have you ever heard this phrase before: LET THEM CHOP AND LEAVE; I WILL CHOP MY OWN WHEN MY TIME COMES!
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by MrGlobe(m): 7:04am On May 28, 2012
Jonathan, you are a clown. Nigeria must disintegrate!!!!!! Infact Nigeria has long disintegrated, it just to make it official its whats remaining. Its a fight for emancipation
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by doofanc: 7:34am On May 28, 2012
Ach Peter Akinola has never been a man to equivocate on pertinent issues like this, regardless of the status of the person(s) involved.

May God continue to bless and empower you sir, Amen.

8 Likes

Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by gregg2: 8:17am On May 28, 2012
Haters doing what they know how to do best. . .
spreading lies and mischiefmaking

1 Like

Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by BRAVEFIT(f): 8:23am On May 28, 2012
Nigerians! Lets redeem our country 4rm ds beasts. REVOLUTN is d only panacea.

7 Likes

Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by damilola15: 8:33am On May 28, 2012
I fear there is more trouble to come.
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by chuks49(m): 8:36am On May 28, 2012
Kudos to Rev. Peter Akinola, his contemporaries wouldn't have hesitated to rain down heavens blessing on President Jonathan.

6 Likes

Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by polokor60(m): 8:53am On May 28, 2012
doofanc: Ach Peter Akinola has never been a man to equivocate on pertinent issues like this, regardless of the status of the person(s) involved.

May God continue to bless and empower you sir, Amen.
we need men of God like ach peter akinola,men that can look straight into the eyes of corrupt and wicked politicials like Gej and his cronies and tell them without mincing any word that they are the evil that has befallen on nigeria not the political pastors like papa ayo(god has ordain ayotolah bin uduaghan to be the governor of delta state after the massive rigging at a thanksgiving service in his church) that keep on singing their eulogies time and over again.
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by kokoA(m): 8:55am On May 28, 2012
Hit'em hard! Blowdy criminals!
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by ndahbros1: 8:57am On May 28, 2012
gregg2: Haters doing what they know how to do best. . .
spreading lies and mischiefmaking
What is ur problem, associate-retard? Are u sayin d story isn't true or that we shdnt know dat event actually happened?
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by Nobody: 9:02am On May 28, 2012
Reverend Peter Akinola is taking on GEJ and his cronies by the balls. Meanwhile, TB Joshua is predicting football matches and ridding a feces-eating man from demons.

2 Likes

Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by amosy007: 9:02am On May 28, 2012
jonathan d father of all corruption
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by wowo2: 9:05am On May 28, 2012
He thinks he is making people around him eat, merry and happy - just watch how he will be mistaken for steak...
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by Lisa1: 9:07am On May 28, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
wowo2: He thinks he is making people around him eat, merry and happy - just watch how he will be mistaken for steak...
Look so horrible
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by moderattor: 9:09am On May 28, 2012
ogugua88: Reverend Peter Akinola is taking on GEJ and his cronies by the balls. Meanwhile, TB Joshua is predicting football matches and ridding a feces-eating man from demons.
you logic seems Juxtaposed smiley
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by AdeCharity: 9:13am On May 28, 2012
[quote author=bayooooooo]President Goodluck Jonathan, governors, ministers and top government officials on Sunday failed to demonstrate a public commitment to the fight against corruption.

At the interdenominational church service held at the Ecumenical Centre, Abuja, to commemorate the 2012 National Democracy Day, the guest preacher and immediate past Prelate of the Anglican Church of Nigeria, Most Reverend Peter Akinola, in his sermon, challenged the congregation to join him in the fight against corruption in the country by committing perpetrators to God.

But the congregation, including the President, who was accompanied by his wife, Patience, the Governor of Bayelsa, Seriake Dickson and Kaduna, Patrick Yakowa, Deputy Governor of Nasarawa state, Dameshi Luka, as well as some ministers failed to respond to prayers to take corrupt officials “to the court of God.”

Apparently, expecting to hear a thunderous YES from the congregation, the Reverend, who instead got a deafening silence, exclaimed: “There you go! Oh, corruption! So, you are not ready to fight it, because you are all beneficiaries of it. Whether you steal in a small or big way, stealing is stealing."

Apparently disappointed with the response he got, the clergyman shot angrily at Mr. Jonathan and his delegation, “See, it is very clear. You are not interested in fighting corruption. If you do, let us take our case to the court of God, if you dare. Who is deceiving who? You are only deceiving yourselves, not God. And you who is stealing government funds, subjecting the poor to untold hardship; you who steal oil subsidy money, making Nigerians pay for fuel through their noses; you who steal funds meant for improving our power supply, deliberately making Nigerians live a life in utter darkness, will you repent today? I doubt it!"

Before throwing the challenge at the president and other officials at the Service, Mr. Akinola had delivered a homily on the destructive impact of corruption on Nigeria.

“This hydra headed monster (of corruption) has literarily taken over the soul and eaten up the fabric of Nigeria,” Reverend Akinola said. “Officials steal our public funds openly by the pen, while others steal by the power of the gun. Successive governments have declared half-hearted war against corruption to no avail. We know only too well that the fight against corruption is largely selective directed at those opposing the government, with no strong political connection.

“Many of those fighting it (corruption) in police and Judiciary have no clean hands. When any National Assembly Committee or any government agency is inviting anybody for questioning it is because those being investigated have not yet given the agency inviting it their due share of the booty.

“Worse still, those who have cleverly made away with public funds and are living above their legitimate incomes are those who are being honoured by traditional rulers, who make them chiefs and high chiefs. Recently, our universities have joined the queue by inviting those people and giving them some baseless honorary doctorate degrees.Sadly, therefore, corruption will continue in full gear, because Nigerians and the government only pay lip service to its eradication. But, I believed as a Christian, as a preacher, as one who reads the Bible, there a way out."

He continued, “Corruption in a narrow sense is another name for stealing. Stealing is a sin God commands us all not to commit. As you know every soul that sins and fails to repent shall die in his sin and end up in hell. So, let us resolve here today to take to the court of God, beginning from this place, all those thieves, who have failed to repent. Will you join me?

“You who steal the money for road construction, leaving our roads in a state of disrepair, causing several accidents and untimely deaths of thousands of our people, their blood is crying to the creator. You who steal the money earmarked for healthcare delivery, thereby running down and turning our hospitals into mortuaries; you who have destroyed our educational system, because the money meant for schools never got to them; you who make laws to inflate costs included in the budget, are you listening to me?

“All of you, whoever you are, greedy, arrogant politicians and officials who are in government only for what you can steal from it and virtually nothing to contribute to national development and has turned Nigeria into a wretch, repent job vacancies in telecom. Click: www.wealthandhealth.com.ng
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by ZUBY77(m): 9:14am On May 28, 2012
Why would a devil accept a party invitation to Heaven knowing fully well what will happen to him there? They have all sold themselves to the devil. The only way for this country is to murder them all. I am ready for that.

1 Like

Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by ismhab(m): 9:15am On May 28, 2012
WHY SHOULD HE SAY AMEEN? DO YOU WANTS HIM TO BE CONSUMED BY THUNDER, ARE U NOT AWARE THAT HE IS THE COMMANDER AND CHIEF OF CORRUPTION IN NIGERIA AS WELL AS THE PRESIDENTS OF STANDARD ORGANASATION OF CORRUPT PRESIDENT IN THE WORLD (SOCPW).
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by warrior101: 9:17am On May 28, 2012
Hahahahahaha.. Drama all the way... Actually we dont care if he says amen or not. Both the clergyman and president are clowns/con artists.. One time i heard mr presinden is a mason. Is that true? just curious though, i dont really care...
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by Nobody: 9:17am On May 28, 2012
Guys, Guys. . .What if they mumbled "Amen" ? (or said it in their hearts) cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by maasoap(m): 9:20am On May 28, 2012
tchaik: @POSTER, what were you expecting? Do you want them to swear for themselves? No sane person can break a bridge which he knows quite well he will still use! And the most unfortunate part is that most Nigerians would not have said AMEN. Have you ever heard this phrase before: LET THEM CHOP AND LEAVE; I WILL CHOP MY OWN WHEN MY TIME COMES!
Read well, Alexander the great did.
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by stepo707: 9:21am On May 28, 2012
Waoh! i love that open rebuke from that Preacher. That message shouls pierce that heart and make them troubled. Useless thieving government!
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by moderattor: 9:22am On May 28, 2012
its possible the clergy man did not say it in the way they could respond.
Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by Nobody: 9:22am On May 28, 2012
I highly appreciate the courage of the said man of God

3 Likes

Re: Democracy Day Church Service: GEJ Refuse To Say "Amen" To Anti-corruption Prayer by beylinko(m): 9:22am On May 28, 2012
ORO,he who hv ears let him hear. Am begining 2 hv a feelin dat dis boko haram of a thing is politics,it is just 1 of d channels use 4 siphonin d nation's wealth. A prayer was raised against a more deadlier foe n dey kept mute. Don't be suprise wen jona uses d security issue(boko) 2 pad his manifesto during his campaign 4 2015

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Offers Amnesty To Repentant Boko Haram Members / Gbajabiamila Urges Ghana To Revisit Law On $1 Million Business Capital / Nigeria Signs Military-Technical Cooperation Agreement With Russia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.