Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

Is Black Really Beautiful? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Black Really Beautiful? (7091 Views)

Blue Blood Is Black Blood 1500-1789 – Egmond Codfried / Is Black Magic Real Or Just Made Up To Scare People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by ifyalways(f): 5:25pm On Nov 21, 2007
am black or brown, am bold and am beautiful.
am wonderfully and faithfully made by God.
i love everything abt maself colour inclusive . kiss
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by wendymanda: 4:26am On Nov 22, 2007
even white people try to stay out of the sun - face it, harsh sunlight does you no good, exposing yourself to that does not prove your 'blackness', neither does having 'natural' hair - you might as well have 'natural' breath or use only chewing sticks because that is what being 'black' is.

even whites do not want to be 'too white' i.e pale and deathly, hence the need to tan to get a 'darker' shade, so I see nothing wrong in not wanting to be 'too black' everyone has their preference

My dad is very dark, but my mum is very light, so why should I necessarily want to be 'very dark' to prove I am black? Does the blackness of my skin serve as the measure of my 'blackness'??

this discussion is way too superficial for me, there's a whole lot more to being black than this

@ Debosky, no one is saying go into the core of the sun, all am saying is that it's silly to walk around with an aumbrella or not wanting to do anything in the open air for fearing of getting dark. Like I said it's melanin, it comes and goes, thus tanning. Also why the pint of your mother being light, do you want a clap.

Just because I decided to stop putting lye, which is a very dangerous chemical in my hair does not equate to wearing wrapper. Why don't you wear wrapper or perm your hair. So it;s too superficial to discuss issues that have black people all over the world in denial. Is it also superficial that people put chemicals with mercury in the name of getting light?

1 Like

Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by Dios(f): 2:06pm On Nov 22, 2007
I have a lot of things to say about this topic because it's very close to my heart put I'll just say this.
For the past 4000 years black people have been demonized because of fear!!!!! It started with the first wonder of the world when our forefathers in Kemet or Chem also known as Memphis( Land of Menes) built the first Pyramid and people from all over the world came to witness these dark skinned people with the most advanced civilization on earth.

I can go on but I have things to do so PLEASE buy this book, THE DESTRUCTION OF BLACK CIVILIZATION by Chancellor Williams, it's only like $20 on Amazon. Read this with as much enthusiasm you read the bible/koran with, if we don't learn from our past mistakes we will keep doing the same SH#T over and over again.
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by Dios(f): 4:50pm On Nov 23, 2007
So who's going to buy the book
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by ifyalways(f): 5:09pm On Nov 23, 2007
Dios:

So who's going to buy the book
are you the advertiser,marketer,promoter or both for the writer lol

buyers are on the way.just keep believing ! grin grin grin grin grin

am black or brown am bold,am beautiful.am wonderfully and perfectly made by my creator kiss
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by Dios(f): 8:21pm On Nov 23, 2007
ifyalways:

buyers are on the way.just keep believing ! grin grin grin grin grin

am black or brown am bold,am beautiful.am wonderfully and perfectly made by my creator kiss

I'm none of the above, I'm reading the book right now and it sheds some light on our history from around 3100bc, it's this people that migrated to present day nigeria.
If it was some crappy book about christianity or islam,Nigerian would be falling all over themselves trying to grab a copy but talk about their history and they look at you like angry angry angry embarassed
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by spoilt(f): 3:19am On Nov 24, 2007
This is by the way but im going to say it regardless!  angry
All the people screaming loudest about black women in blond weaves will be the first to pick beyonce with her full head of fake horse tail as stunning before they picked my friend india Ari or any other black woman who wears her hair natural. Those white girl wannabes have perfected a formula that works for them. You can shake your head in disapproval or laugh at them but they know what they are doing. They probably get more negative reations when they wear their hair in all its nappy glory. That is gospel truth. They have tried both and have stuck with the widely accepted look. The bleaching to acquire fairer skin, dieting to get the reed thin figure, contact lenses, fake hair etc. Aping what white women look like. all this for acceptance. PATHETIC but atimes unfortunately necessary.

For many blacks there will always be this allure about white skin or any skin not black or completely black . After years in the sun slaving away on the plantation the white men and women were put on pedestals.The white man for the authority and power he wielded. The white woman for her 'great beauty'.  Oh the white woman! The epitome of beauty, class and what have you. Who can forget the fleeting glimpse of her strolling around with  her umbrella while 'we' were bent double picking cotton?Her pristine clothes, clean soft hands, black slave girls at her beck and call. Yes. There she was. ' Beautiful', untouchable, special and most of all WHITE. The black women wanted to be her. God ! we wanted to be her. Wouldnt all our problems be solved if we had her skin, her hair? The Adulation, respect and worship we would get.The black men wanted her. Oh boy did they want her! Wasnt she a better deal than their fellow black women who were dusty and unattractive and could pick a million cotton balls in 30 minutes?Werent the black women in the sun? Burnt, degraded, battered, assaulted all beauty and dignity stripped from them? How do you spell white trophy?  At the first taste of freedom there was this mad fashionable stampede to acquire this much dreamed about trophy. At last a bite out of the sacred apple! The story hasnt changed much since!! **Sigh**

This whole black beauty talk is a lot deeper than looks. There are issues that date back 400 years that are yet to be resolved. There are those who will never see a black woman as beautiful. Those who will write off a whole race of women. A WHOLE RACE I SAID AND NO ONE CAN FIND ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY?  shocked shocked 

This My piece is about women. Afterall beauty as the world knows it is about women. Men will always be judged less harshly or by the money they have. Never really by their looks.
To conclude, i know black is beautiful. I do. I so desperately know it. but does anyone else know it with me?  cry cry
in our world its becoming increasingly difficult to be black and seen as beautiful not just in looks but even in character.

1 Like

Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by Nobody: 3:37am On Nov 24, 2007
when I look in the mirror,I love what I see.
That's all that matters
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by Dreloaded(f): 4:59pm On Nov 24, 2007
copying "contact lenses" isnt necessary spoilt nor is getting a hair color NOT inherent in your genes.

Im so NOT against weaves but when you get the ones that are obviously not of your race then there's a sad problem. I think the same of asians with blonde hair. Who dash am? That's why they look so stupid with it. Cos it wasnt meant for either races.

Those who will write off a whole race of women. A WHOLE RACE I SAID AND NO ONE CAN FIND ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY?

There are women of variious races that wont have anything to do with asian men, same difference. Btw I assume you know alot of the times people racist against another racist end up having secret longing for the race they claimed they despise? I think it's hilarious.
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by lazy(m): 7:24pm On Nov 26, 2007
skyone:

Black is beautiful, but our grassroot problem is civilisation and lack of encouragement towards development. Unity and rule of law contributes immensely to any societal development in the world. The question now is, " Are black people united at all"?

I agree and to answer your question are "Black" people united. I put "Black" in quotes because it is a meaningless term from the Creation of Race but for this conversation I will continue using it. I think that they are not so united today because we have lost our way.

Now, lets look back 50 years and the state of "Black" people around the world. What did the world look like? Well in the States "Black" people were not free, the continent was under colonization for the most part still, etc. Lets look back 100 years and picture still is the same and "Black" people in Brazil were just ending their enslavement no more than a 2 decades before.

If you look at what I stated I think you will see that in the past 50 years we have made big strides around the world. With that said, we are now trying to find our way and figure out how to make that next step. I think people need to understand that change doesn't happen overnight and takes a long time to happen. There were ups and downs over the period of enslavement and colonization period but finally we became united and won our freedom all over the world. This will happen again to push us to the next phase.

I think that it is also beyond just thinking of "Black" is beautiful in terms of just appearance. I see it in more the terms of "Do people think that anything "Black" is great?" in the sense of institutions etc. When I say institutions I mean educational, business, political, etc. I think that is what will play into development. I wonder, if one doesn't think that the institutions that we create are great will they work in unity to make them grow?

@poster
Now looking at Is "Black" Beautiful issue. I really don't think this is just an African American issue but one all around the world. The Creation of Race (junk science) by Europeans affected African people around the world. However, I agree that people don't think that their African features are beautiful and that "Black" is Beautiful is just lip service.
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by prncss(f): 4:45pm On Nov 27, 2007
This is all partly true especially the notion that the darker you are the uglier you are. I am medium skinned but compared to the light skinned kids in my school i was darked skinne, and a couple days ago a conversation sparked about beauty and we were talkin abpout which girls are pretty and which are not, and this white gurl had the nerve to tell me i was pretty, for a darkskinned black girl. And this other white gurl was like ya, a lot of black gurls are ugly, and i just sat there, like what the fukin hell. And just yesterday i had a picture of rihanna and this other white gurl was like she is pretty for an African- American. All this bullshit is leavin me stunned. i feel it all spins from blacks hatin each other it is like a divide and conquer situation, we are judgin each other and insulting and clasifying each other, they see that and they als o insult us

1 Like

Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by Dreloaded(f): 4:49pm On Nov 27, 2007
lol and you hang around these people?
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by Nwaka77: 4:19am On Nov 29, 2007
D-reloaded:

lol and you hang around these people?

For real!! I was asking myself the same question when I read her post.
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by Dios(f): 2:39pm On Nov 29, 2007
prncss:

This is all partly true especially the notion that the darker you are the uglier you are. I am medium skinned but compared to the light skinned kids in my school i was darked skinne, and a couple days ago a conversation sparked about beauty and we were talkin abpout which girls are pretty and which are not, and this white girl had the nerve to tell me i was pretty, for a darkskinned black girl. And this other white girl was like ya, a lot of black girls are ugly, and i just sat there, like what the fukin hell. And just yesterday i had a picture of rihanna and this other white girl was like she is pretty for an African- American. All this bullshit is leavin me stunned. i feel it all spins from blacks hatin each other it is like a divide and conquer situation, we are judgin each other and insulting and clasifying each other, they see that and they als o insult us

Lol, "I JUST SAT THERE,LIKE WHAT THE FUKING HELL". How about telling the little ofay bitches the look pretty considering they are a just a shade darker than casper. The only reason they talk to you like that is because of the way you carry yourself.
I work around a bunch of white folks, most of them are cool but you have the occasional hillbilly cracke mentality. Some months ago I was watching something on the laptop and this fool saw some nomads from east Africa that were half naked and said "ARE YOU HOMESICK"? shocked shocked shocked grin I popped the gay in the mouth and he didn't say shit after that. Catch my drift?
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by drrionelli(m): 2:38am On Mar 18, 2008
Hmmmm--

Interesting thread.
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by Eliza704: 5:50pm On Apr 08, 2008
Well as for me, im very proud of where i came from. Im african american and very proud of my roots. I know i came from kings and queens in my native land mama africa. I have been proud of it since i was a child. The kids at school made fun of me because my skin was chocolate, and it hurt for along time. Now i love being a beautiful african american dark skinned female, and wouldnt change it for the world. As for african americans being ignorant about where they came from i can only say this; i know my history and up until recently we didnt have a way of tracing our roots because we were sold off, separated, names changed, Now they can take dna are trace the exact part of africa our ancestors come from. When my results come back, im going to that part of africa first. I wonder how they will accept me. Any way all african americans dont feel that they dont have ties to africa of course we do. And yes black is so so beautiful.
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by allonym: 3:18pm On Apr 09, 2008
. . . I'll just address the issue of slavery

Charleston SC was the major port of entry for slaves into the USA. About 70-75% of all slaves brought into the US came through that port.

http://www.historiccharleston.org/experience/arh/slavery_charleston.html

The first slaves in what we consider now to be the USA were also brought into SC in the area that became Charleston, however, the first slaves brought into British held territories were brought into VA, likely Jamestown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Colonial_America
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by bawomolo(m): 6:17pm On Apr 09, 2008
I know i came from kings and queens in my native land mama africa.

royal family members being sold into slavery happened rarely.
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by echelon(m): 4:58pm On Apr 10, 2008
Black is Solid as a Rock cheesy
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by hadiza30(f): 3:45pm On Aug 08, 2008
ifyalways:

hahahahhaha

Hi5 dear kiss
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by ssRhino: 7:47pm On Aug 08, 2008
Black is gorgeous, ebonically beautiful.
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by rubi(f): 5:28pm On Aug 20, 2008
I am black kiss fearfully and wonderfully made through the image of God smiley
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by PLea: 5:41pm On Aug 20, 2008
How can someone ask such question!?? *hiss*
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by thando(f): 10:20am On Aug 21, 2008
can we move on forward please
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by slimfine(f): 7:35pm On Dec 27, 2008
I don't even understand some poeple? I mean why do I want to be white? or Asian? shocked have you seen an old white folks? thei skin is nothing to write home about

I am hella hot!!!!! tongue in my black skin kiss I have long ass nappy hair and people would ask me are you mix? I will be like yeah " Imo state and Anambara state in Nigeria" like africans can't have long hair as well undecided

is all about self esteem. your color don't have much to with it!!!!
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by KB1(m): 7:49pm On Dec 27, 2008
That was Jamestown, not Charleston.

Actually, all of you are incorrect. The first place in the US to ever receive slaves was St. Augustine, Florida, in the late 1500's when the territory was still under Spanish rule. James Town actually started out by taking in African indentured servants along with British ones in the very early 1600's, and it wasn't until about the 1630's that they began taking in African Slaves.
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by Kuns: 5:41am On Dec 28, 2008
Black is profoundly beautiful.

Why do you think everyone else wants to look like us?

This is why the caucasians having Tanning saloon, because they want to look brown.

And when do you think they use hair rolls at the hair dresser.

I can't understand why black women want to bleach and straighten their hair like a Caucasian or Indian.

Can you see that only Nuwaubians, Nuwbuns, Nubias, Africans, Nigerians, blacks whereever you want to call us have woolly hair.

All other men and animals have furs similarly to what animals have.

We are unique because only us have woolly hair, all other creatures man and animals have furs.

When people worship so-called white (pale skinned) people than you have this problem wondring whether black is beautiful.

You know black is the most beautiful.
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by fayahsoul: 2:35am On Dec 30, 2008
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by Dede1(m): 12:34pm On Dec 30, 2008
It is unpardonable ignorance to describe human beings by color. No human being is white, blue, red, green, yellow, purple or black. The adjectival clause of color was employed by colonist as a disdainful tool on Africans.
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by slimfine(f): 4:44am On Jan 01, 2009
@ dede 1

we know all that but "it is what it is"
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by Dede1(m): 7:39pm On Jan 01, 2009
slimfine:

@ dede 1

we know all that but "it is what it is"

If you know all that and still play stupidity, then why do you worry about the misnomer like racism? I have read some posts by few dunces on this forum that started with White people, Black people and ended with Asian people. I do not see any difference in skin color between a person from Finland and Japan. Even the skin color of certain people from Nigeria had nothing to do with black. I had always and sternly corrected anybody who dared referred to Africans as black.
Re: Is Black Really Beautiful? by slimfine(f): 9:57pm On Jan 01, 2009
@ dede I

you sound quite upset! with that tone, you cannot convince people with your opinion. Just my observance.

happy new year

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Some Fulani Names And Their Meanings / "Mother Of My Babies" In Igala Language Of Kogi State / Origin Of Owigiri Cultural Dance; Igbo Or Ijaw??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.