Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,078 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:48 AM

Merchandise Or Better Player? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Merchandise Or Better Player? (1008 Views)

Juan Mata Vs Rooney. Who Is A Better Player? / Juan Mata Vs David Silva. who is a better player? / Better Player: Christian Obodo or Wilson Oruma? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Merchandise Or Better Player? by Akolawole(m): 8:53pm On Mar 31, 2006
Football had become another thing.

Football personality is more considered than the football they play.

Please ring this link:   http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006140602,00.html

What do think?

Re: Merchandise Or Better Player? by Zahymaka(m): 8:56pm On Mar 31, 2006
Very soon they'll start hiring "sexy" players only. I think that's what's wrong with the world -- The Sex Revolution.

It's the same thing in the movie industry -- people who act are picked for good looks not skills. Someone like Whoopi Goldberg wouldn't be where she is today and for football you wouldn't have people like Taribo West.
Re: Merchandise Or Better Player? by mochafella(m): 11:54pm On Mar 31, 2006
This line from the article sounds like a conflict of interest to me

"It would also be a blow to Beckham’s management company 19, who have taken over the running of the entire England squad’s commercial contracts."

Anyway, the fact remains that if "Spice boy" did not have a deadly right foot no one would want him. The average soccer fan still knows a good player when they see one, and you have to be a good player to the average fan before your marketability to everyone else rises. I also doubt the sponsors would want him as captain if his performance and popularity drop, he would only harm their brand image in that situation.

Frankly I think only Gerrard can rival Becks for the captain band and when England gets into trouble its still Becks they look for to create something.
Re: Merchandise Or Better Player? by nightrider: 1:35pm On Apr 01, 2006
He is the best right wing midfielder in the world. and fine face to add .
Re: Merchandise Or Better Player? by LoverBwoy(m): 4:04pm On Apr 01, 2006
Footabll hasnt really become another thing, u just have to remember football is entertainment and entertainment is business

Most FAs around the world get 90% of their revenue from sponsorship and advert not much from government so they tend to have an influence in whats going in the game

if a player is good then he'll be very popular and when he is popular they do business with him
its a Win-Win grin
Re: Merchandise Or Better Player? by Akolawole(m): 1:02pm On Apr 02, 2006
@LoverBwouy

Are you telling me that Beckham must REMAIN England captain whether he is rubbish or not just because of business.
Re: Merchandise Or Better Player? by LoverBwoy(m): 9:36pm On Apr 03, 2006
@ Akolawole
Are u talking about David Beckham alone or Football in general?

As at the moment David Beckham is playing well enough and any change of role by a new coach will probably affect their future sponsorship package
Re: Merchandise Or Better Player? by Akolawole(m): 10:12pm On Apr 03, 2006
@LoverBwouy

Must they force David on the next Coach because of Sponsorship?

(1) (Reply)

Barca V Zaragoza / Sports & Steriods! / Peter Odemwingie Is The EPL Player Of The Month! Feb--2012!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.