Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,366 members, 7,800,738 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:41 AM

Happy Democracy Day! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Happy Democracy Day! (10269 Views)

Happy Democracy Day/handover: What Are Your Prayers & Wishes For The President? / Happy Democracy Day / Happy Democracy Day Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Happy Democracy Day! by thekingsreturn(m): 9:33am On May 29, 2012
In 1999, Democracy returned to Nigeria. It was not a coincident it was the culmination of efforts of Nigerians; some who are now heroes of past. As we say in 2011, we should embrace 2012 with hope of a better Nigeria and resolve to all play a positive role in the consolidation of our Democracy. Happy Democracy Day To NIGERIANS!
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Originakalokalo(m): 9:37am On May 29, 2012
Instead,it shuld be happy corruptocracy day.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by PHIPEX(m): 9:43am On May 29, 2012
Weldone Naptu, some of us here on NL were too young to grasp the enormity of the atrocities of the Military era so we tend to judge our Democracy simply by the happennings of today in relation to the events in other countries without taking a critical overview of where we were coming from. Some Nairalanders who were old enough to tell the tale have fallen victims of the cliche "the good old days". The democratic practice in Nigeria is far from what every rational citizen hoped for but it is still far better than any miitary regime that occupied that seat of power before it. The journey to our emancipation is looking farther than we envisaged but there is no doubt that we have covered a great distance.

Long Live the Federal Republic of Nigeria!
God Bless Nigeria!!
Happy Democracy day!!!
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by crownx(m): 9:44am On May 29, 2012
My 5years old daughter saw this picture on my phone, she asked my why the baby is crying, I still don't know the appropriate answer to her question

Re: Happy Democracy Day! by collins123(m): 9:45am On May 29, 2012
[size=18pt]In 1985, IBB was the president of Nigeria and our teachers told us that Buhari was the former President....Our teacher also called us the leaders of tomorrow....27 years later, IBB and Buhari are still contesting for President....its either our teacher lied to us about being the leaders of tomorrow...or tomorrow hasnt come. Hapi Democracy Day[/size]

1 Like

Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Camola(m): 9:48am On May 29, 2012
It came to my memory the history of slave trade in africa. Black in general were suffered from colonial master(Season 1). Nigeria got independence with donation of blood and life. Military ruled us with force and their selfish interest(season 2). We got democracy with intention of leading ourself with fear of God not personal interest like season 1 & 2 despite we are ruling like goat or cow. Where are we going in nigeria people are suffering. May God help Nigeria becuase there is no where to go.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by ifihearam: 10:01am On May 29, 2012
In 1985, IBB was the president of Nigeria and our teachers told us that Buhari was the former President....Our teacher also called us the leaders of tomorrow....27 years later, IBB and Buhari are still contesting for President....its either our teacher lied to us about being the leaders of tomorrow...or tomorrow hasnt come.HAPPY DEMOCRACY DAY
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Reference(m): 10:02am On May 29, 2012
Ikengawo: I would like to show my appreciation for those that died to make the blessings we have today in Nigeria possible. All the journalists that were killed so that our press can be free. The death of MKO Abiola that showed us once and for all that military dictatorship will NEVER again be an acceptable part of our government. The death on Ken Saro Wiwa that brought light to the suffering of minorities in Nigeria and gave strength to the plight of the suffering voiceless, and a thanks to those whose efforts have made Nigeria's election system fairer and freer. I do acknowledge our system is an immensely imperfect and frustratingly flawed one. I do acknowledge the war is not yet won and I do acknowledge the enemies or our progress are still alive and in power, but I'm not going to pretend that this generation shouldn't be ashamed of the fact that we seem to think saying 'there's no democracy in Nigeria is a fair contribution to a fight for democracy that our predecessors gave their lives for. Their sacrifice has not been in vein. there has been progress and If we can give thanks to and revere their spirit there will be more progress.

We've made more progress then most of our african counter parts and show more promise and will to strike forward than most of the 3rd world.

Good post. Well done. I believe the pains of poverty, disenfranchisement, violence, bigotry, corruption are like the pains of child birth. It is for a set time and has a predictable outcome if handled in strength and hope.

All flourishimg democracies today once had their days of youthful exhuberance and every mighty king today once pooed in his diapers. It happens.

Our democracy will survive. It is bigger than any individual, group or interests. I salute the courage of all leaders and the led in moving this process forward.

I will not say congratulations but...
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by AndroBlaze: 10:10am On May 29, 2012
@ Nap2tu and others doing the same thing

Are you suggesting that we should be celebrating the improved human rights situation we have or what?? Because I wonder how anyone who has lived in Nigeria since demoCRAZY with common sense would be celebrating that particular feat?

I mean look, we still have government opponents being threatened, locked up or detained however briefly by the SSS and police on the flimsiest of evidence. Their are the notorious cases of people who consider themselves political prisoners, like MEND and the early Boko Haram, who have DIED in prison while awaiting trial. That same tormentor in chief you mentioned Nap2tu, Zakari Biu was recalled and got a promotion under demoCRAZY, and we all know how that story ended. The media is still hounded daily and told by the powers that be to get in line. Politcal assassinations continue unabated, let's not forget the world renown Guinness book of records assassination of a sitting Attorney General/Minister of Justice. And to me more significant is the Police have continued from where the army left off with record extra judicial killings and shootings of unarmed civillians in simple domestic and civil matters.

So as people keep asking you, what are you celebrating, is it Boko Haram upholding human rights of the people in the North? Is it the Executive consistently upholding the rule of Law and ensuring Judicial integrity? Or is it still the grossly overpopulated and inhumane prison system where these so called real beneficiaries of the Democracy (OBJ and other fake politicians of conscience) came from and have left too rot?? Come on, let's hear it.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by ypzilanti: 10:11am On May 29, 2012
I hope you all are on the parade ground waving your Nigerian flags in joy!

Happy democracy day, and I hope you appreciate sarcasm.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by AndroBlaze: 10:16am On May 29, 2012
PHIPEX: Weldone Naptu, some of us here on NL were too young to grasp the enormity of the atrocities of the Military era so we tend to judge our Democracy simply by the happennings of today in relation to the events in other countries without taking a critical overview of where we were coming from. Some Nairalanders who were old enough to tell the tale have fallen victims of the cliche "the good old days". The democratic practice in Nigeria is far from what every rational citizen hoped for but it is still far better than any miitary regime that occupied that seat of power before it. The journey to our emancipation is looking farther than we envisaged but there is no doubt that we have covered a great distance.

Long Live the Federal Republic of Nigeria!
God Bless Nigeria!!
Happy Democracy day!!!

How anyone can say what we have now is better than the regimes of the 1970's or even Buhari's time beats my imagination.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by naptu2: 10:31am On May 29, 2012
Back to my first post (and in tandem with my next post), we must never forget the people who suffered and died for our rights! The heroes of democracy day are not the politicians, GEJ, OBJ, etc. The heroes are people like Chief Gani Fawehinmi etc. We must never forget what they did. In fact, we must learn from what they did and use that to confront the human rights abuses of our times.

In the past, students were politically aware and ready to fight for their rights, but listening to some students make excuses for government today is quite depressing.

We must never forget those who suffered and died, those who spoke up despite the consequences. We must learn from them. We must utilise the victories they won for us.

Do you know about Gani Fawehinmi vs Abacha & othrs? What is the implication of this judgement?

What is the implication of the judgement in the case between Gani and the inspector general (I forget the citation, but it's the case regarding Tinubu).

What can we learn from the students of College of Medicine, University of Lagos?

What about the Tell incident?
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Nobody: 10:38am On May 29, 2012
demo-crazy day ko beato-crazy ni...wot gud has come out of it since we started practising it...mtcheeeeeeewwwwwww....in 9ja,na only CORRUPTOCRAZY dey exist....next!
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by naptu2: 10:40am On May 29, 2012
I don't believe that democracy day should be about naming institutions, public holidays or military parades. Democracy day should be a day to honour those that fought for democracy and enhance the struggle for true, lasting democracy by getting informed of our rights. How many people know their rights as enshrined in the constitution? How many people are ready to enforce those rights? How many people know the directive principles of state policy? Why do we allow politicians to manipulate with divide and rule tactics (ethnicity, religion, etc)?

I would like to see a tradition where people buy copies of the constitution and give to those who can't afford (just the same way we give gifts at christmas, etc). Get somebody who can't read and explain the constitution to the person, etc.

I believe we don't have true democracy, but democracy is a process, not an event. Let's use today to see how we can deepen democracy.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by naptu2: 10:51am On May 29, 2012
The fundamental rights include:
Chapter 4

Right to life.

Right to dignity of human persons.

Right to personal liberty.

Right to fair hearing.

Right to private and family life.

Right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion

Right to freedom of expression and the press.

Right to peaceful assembly and association.

Right to freedom of movement.

Right to freedom from discrimination.

Right to acquire and own immovable property.

Compulsory acquisition of property.

Restriction on and derogation from fundamental human rights.

Special jurisdiction of High Court and Legal aid.

The directive principles of state policy include:

Chapter 2

Fundamental obligations of the Government.

The Government and the people

Political objectives.

Economic objectives.

Social objectives.

Educational objectives.

Foreign policy objectives.

Environmental objectives.

Directive on Nigeria cultures

Obligation of the mass media

National ethics.

Duties of the citizen.

You can view the constitution here

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

Or view the amended version here:

http://www.nassnig.org/nass2/legislation.php
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by preciousoz: 10:59am On May 29, 2012
The Last time I checked, its so easy to leave this country. It will cost U less than 10,000 naira to leave the border's of Nigeria. Please Leave and stop using your God given Mouth to declare negative prophecies upon my beloved country. We have Niger, Chad, Benin Republic, and Cameroun if u don't have enough to travel to europe. The wrong of so many decades cannot be corrected in 4 yrs. We should be thinking of how we will contribute to the uplifting of Our country. Please Keep your Negativity to your self and family, don't spread the virus.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by naptu2: 11:11am On May 29, 2012
Chief Abdul-Ganiyu "Gani" Oyesola Fawehinmi (SAN)

Gani Fawehinmi was born on April 22, 1938 into the prominent Tugbolo Fawehinmi family in Ondo. His father, a timber magnate, was fully responsible for his education and welfare. His hope of becoming a lawyer was almost dashed when he lost his father while he was a law student in London. All efforts to raise a loan to enable him to complete his university education proved abortive. So he had to fend for himself.

Although he eventually succeeded in becoming a lawyer, Gani decided to dedicate his entire life to struggle for the establishment of a society where every needy child would be educated at the expense of the State. Chief Fawehinmi and his estates have given scholarship to many indigent undergraduates on an annual basis since 1976.

Having identified law as a tool of oppression in the hands of the ruling class Gani provided legal services, on pro bono publico basis, to thousands of workers, students and other victims of social injustice, abuse of power and oppression.

Gani made most of his money from publishing the Nigerian Weekly Law Reports (NWLR). Before his revolutionary intervention in law reporting only a handful of privileged lawyers who had access to cyclostyled copies of the judgments of the appellate courts were winning cases in our Courts. Chief Fawehinmi sent his lawyers to courts around the country to obtain such judgments but decided to popularise legal knowledge by embarking on regular publication of law reports.

Upon the completion of his legal education in London Gani returned home and was called to the Nigerian Bar in January 1965. Barely a year later, the first republic was sacked by the armed forces. The Constitution was suspended while draconian decrees were imposed on the Nigerian people. In 1969, he took up the case of a factory worker whose wife had been snatched by a powerful permanent secretary in the service of the Benue Plateau State Government. Not withstanding that he was a rookie lawyer, he defeated the late Chief Rotimi Williams, QC, who was the counsel to the permanent secretary.

For daring to challenge the corrupt establishment the Yakubu Gowon regime arrested and detained him without trial for several months. Instead of cowing him into submission, the brutal experience strengthened him as Gani resolved to wage a decisive battle against injustice in all its ramifications.

For instance, in the Garba v. University of Maiduguri (1986) 2 NWLR (PT 18 ) 559, the fundamental right of students to fair hearing before rustication or expulsion was upheld.

The injustice in the Legal Practitioners Act which made the Attorney-General of the Federation the accuser and the prosecutor with respect to allegations of misconduct involving lawyers was highlighted by the Supreme Court in the Legal Practitioners Disciplinary Committee v. Fawehinmi (1985) 3 NWLR (PT 7) 300. The decision led to the amendment of the Act.

The dismissal of the case of Fawehinmi v. Nigerian Bar Association (1989) 2 NWLR (PT 107) 558 by the Supreme Court on the ground that the respondent was not a juristic personality led to the registration of the Nigerian Bar Association under the Companies and Allied Matters Act.

In Balarabe Musa v. INEC (2003) 10 WRN 1, the political space was liberalised when the Supreme Court struck down the stringent conditionalities imposed by INEC on new political parties.

In Fawehinmi v. Akilu (1987) 2 NWLR (PT 67) 767 the Supreme Court relaxed the anachronistic doctrine of locus standi so as to permit the private prosecution of criminal offences by concerned individuals on the ground that “we are all our brothers’ keepers”.

Since the Attorney-General of the Federation has never sued the Federal Government as a defender of public interest, the locus standi of Gani to challenge the violations of the Constitution and other illegalities was upheld in the case of Fawehinmi v. The President (2007) 14 NWLR (PT 1054) 275.

In Abacha v. Fawehinmi (2001) 51 WRN 29 the Supreme Court held that since the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights has been domesticated by the National Assembly, our domestic courts have the jurisdiction to construe and apply its provisions whenever there are allegations of human rights infringement.

In Fawehinmi v. Inspector-General of Police (2002) 23 WRN 1 it was declared by the Supreme Court that the public officers covered by the immunity clause in Section 308 of the Constitution can be investigated while in office.

However, one of Gani’s post-humous rewards for his contribution to the legal system in Nigeria is the enactment of the Fundamental Procedure Rules 2009. Under the new human rights regime in Nigeria, concerned individuals and public spirited organizations can now file actions in courts challenging the violation of the human rights of other citizens.

In 1986, while Chief Gani Fawehinmi was Dele Giwa's Lawyer, the latter was killed in a bomb blast under suspicious circumstances.

Again, in 1995, Chief Fawehinmi served as counsel to Ken Saro-Wiwa when Saro-Wiwa was being tried for murder, but Fawehinmi withdrew from the case, branding the tribunal a Kangaroo court.

As a result of his activities chief Gani Fawehinmi had been arrested, detained and charged to court several times. His international passport was seized on many occasions and his residence and Chambers were searched several times. He was beaten up time after time and was deported from one part of the country to another to prevent him from being able to effectively reach out to the masses among whom he was popular. His books were confiscated by the Federal Military Government and his library at Surulere, a suburb of Lagos, were set ablaze. His law Chambers at Anthony Village, Lagos State, were invaded by persons suspected to be agents of the government. The guards were shot, two of them seriously wounded.
Gani died in the early hours of 5 September 2009 after a prolonged battle with lung cancer. He was 71 years old.

Gani had been locked up in the following police and security cells between 1969 and 1996:

* Police Headquarters, Kaduna , 1969.
* Jos Police Station, 1969
* Ilorin Police Station, 1969
* Police Headquarters, Lagos, 1969
* Police Headquarters, Lagos 1972 (twice)

* C. I. D. Alagbon, Lagos, 1978
* Inter-Centre Detention Outpost, Lagos, 1978

* Ikoyi Police Station,1978
* Panti Police Station, Lagos, 1987
* Panti Police Station, Lagos, 1988 (three times)
* Police Station Ikeja, 1988
* Panti Police Station, Lagos, 1989 (twice)
* Ikoyi Police Station, 1989
* State Security Services (SSS) Cell Maiduguri, 1989
* State Security Services (SSS) Cell Awolowo Road, Ikoyi 1991
* C. I. D. Police Station Ikoyi, 1992
* Police Station Wuse Abuja, 1992
* Inter-Centre Cell, Lagos 1993
* State Security Services (SSS) Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, 1993
* C. I. D. Police Station Ikoyi, 1993
* Police Station Wuse Abuja, 1993
* Police Headquarters, Abuja, 1993
* Panti Police Station, Lagos, 1994
* F. I. I. B. Alagbon, Ikoyi, Lagos 1994 (Once)
* Panti Police Station, Lagos, 1995 (Twice)
* State Security Services Shangisha Cell Lagos, 1995 (Once)
* State Security Service Shangisha Cell Lagos, 1996 (Once)

In all these arrests and detentions, he was treated sometimes cruelly, sometimes crudely and sometimes with some civility.

He had also been detained in the following federal prisons by various Military Governments from 1969 to 1996:

* Kaduna Prison, 1969
* Gombe Prison, 1969 - 1970
* Ikoyi Prison, 1978
* Gashua Prison, 1989
* Nigerian Prison Ikoyi, 1990
* Nigerian Prison Kuje, 1992
* Nigerian Prison Kuje, 1993 and
* Nigerian Prison, Bauchi 1996

1 Like

Re: Happy Democracy Day! by AndroBlaze: 11:24am On May 29, 2012
preciousoz: The Last time I checked, its so easy to leave this country. It will cost U less than 10,000 naira to leave the border's of Nigeria. Please Leave and stop using your God given Mouth to declare negative prophecies upon my beloved country. We have Niger, Chad, Benin Republic, and Cameroun if u don't have enough to travel to europe. The wrong of so many decades cannot be corrected in 4 yrs. We should be thinking of how we will contribute to the uplifting of Our country. Please Keep your Negativity to your self and family, don't spread the virus.

Last time I checked the unprecedented decline in Nigeria was really evident from 1986, so that gives us 1986-1999, which is 13 years.

Now I wonder how long we have actually had demo-CRAZY for, hmmmmmmm
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Dtwoabbey(m): 11:55am On May 29, 2012
slimming: Happy democracy day to all Nigerians at home and abroad for believing and supporting us over the year. we pray that this democracy ko ni baje o.

Green world
no democracy at all. We re celebrating corruptcracy. A country full of autocratic leaders. Abeg make u stop talking abt demo in cracy in Nigeria again. It is only God who can give us good governance in this great country. Ki Olorun o saanu fun wa ni o.
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Dagods(m): 12:52pm On May 29, 2012
Democrazy,Crazydemo,Demonstration of crazy,Crazy demostration...person teach me finish yet my brain no carry....America"&"Nigeria no dey 4 d same category..."NIGERIA"GOOD PEOPLE,,GREAT NATION,"chikena..
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by PHIPEX(m): 1:18pm On May 29, 2012
Andro Blaze:

How anyone can say what we have now is better than the regimes of the 1970's or even Buhari's time beats my imagination.
One of the reasons could be that the Buhari that beat up journalists on the ground of indiscipline would'v shutdown Nairaland long ago for nasty comments and possibly lockup Seun for publishing treasonable comments against his govt.

1 Like

Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Fhemmmy: 3:18pm On May 29, 2012
I wonder what is there to celebrate . . .
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by naptu2: 3:46pm On May 29, 2012
Decree 4, Muhammadu Buhari, Tunde Idiagbon, Tunde Thompson, Nduka Irabor, etc http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/carticles/confessions_of_a_prosecutor.htm
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Revolva(m): 4:19pm On May 29, 2012
spikes C: [size=20pt]Am still proud to be a NIGERIAN[/size]

Hahaha some people no dey boast wetin reach their belle

Deep down they hate the nation
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by spikesC(m): 5:05pm On May 29, 2012
Revolva:

Hahaha some people no dey boast wetin reach their belle

Deep down they hate the nation

i dont hate the nation, i hate what has become of it
Re: Happy Democracy Day! by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 29, 2012
In 1985, IBB was the president of Nigeria and our teachers
told us that Buhari was the former
President....Our teachers also told
us den dat we r the leaders of tomorrow....27 years later, IBB and Buhari are still contesting
for President....its either our teacher lied to us about being
the leaders of tomorrow...or tomorrow hasnt come. Happi DemocracyDay

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

M E N D Strikes: Blow Up Agip Facility In Bayelsa On Saturday 4th February / Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos, Marketers Blame Depots / The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.