Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,838 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:57 PM

Destination Wedding - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Destination Wedding (1100 Views)

Planning A Tropical Inspired Or Destination Wedding? / Orphanage: Lagos Ministry Relocates 25 Children To Unknown Destination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Destination Wedding by sophy09: 2:18am On May 29, 2012
So my fiance and I are thinking of having a destination wedding after the whole engagement wedding. We both want to get married either in st Lucia or the Bahamas

with both parents included or excluded. Both parents are against it because they feel it is going to be expensive for everyone family members which include

grandparents, aunts uncles,niece, nephew etc to be there. We informed them that no-one needs to be there since we are both adults and we have done the engagement

thing in which all the family members were involved. We gave them what they wanted which was the engagement. Now the two parents are pissed off, they want the

marriage to be done in Lagos where everyone and anyone can be there. My fiance and I are ready for the destination wedding but we do not want the whole family to

feel bad about not being there. There are side talks already about how expensive it will be, my dad having to give me away blah blah which is starting to be

annoying. So my fiance was like we should give them the wedding in Nigeria and have our destination anniversary next year, which to me is going to be expensive if

we do it that way. So my question is to should I go along with my fiance or should I stick to our plan of destination wedding.
Re: Destination Wedding by EfemenaXY: 2:48am On May 29, 2012
You can please some of the people sometimes. You might even please all of the people sometimes - but you can NEVER please everyone, everytime.

Just get it over and done with. Go get married & stay married.

Congratulations.
Re: Destination Wedding by Jummymine(f): 7:40am On May 29, 2012
What is destination wedding
Re: Destination Wedding by nikkygal(f): 8:30am On May 29, 2012
Jummy mine: What is destination wedding

Destination wedding is a wedding that takes place at a different city/country (other than their usual home town/location) which is determined by the couple.

Sophy, I understand your plight but at this point I think it's important you try to manage your r/ships with your parents & your in-laws considering the fact that marriage is a lifetime thing. You might eventually have your way by getting married in the bahamas but this could have devastating effects & possibly 'beef' between you & your family/in-laws. Personally, I would say try to reach a compromise with them....your husband's suggestion is okay or you could still look into some other alternatives as well....

Your exact situation happened to my brother. They did their trad.marriage in Nigeria & made us go to Hawaii for the wedding. Honestly, my parents strongly kicked against it & my bros had to make several concessions before they eventually agreed. It was quite expensive for us as a family becos we had to give our money to the 'airlines' just to be there....lol! Since we had to get to the US first, before heading out hawaii....And much cheaper for them as a couple since all they had to do was plan for their guests (food,drinks etc)

Personally, I saw it as a nice way of transferring the wedding costs to the guests....lol! Even though I must admit, destination weddings are usually very nice! Amazing stuff! Babes, try to find a middle ground, do that as a last 'favour' to your parents before tying the knot so you can start on a clean slate...I wish you the very best!

My 2 cents!
Re: Destination Wedding by MissIfe(f): 9:02am On May 29, 2012
It depends a lot on your idea of what a wedding is all about. To me, once hubby and I talked about marriage and agreed to get married, the wedding itself didn't matter at all. What did matter was the commitment. Wedding is just something you put up for the family. The way I see it, the wedding is the family's business and the marriage is the couple's business. Once you're married you'll have plenty of time to travel to exotic places. Saying your vows on a beach at sunset doesn't make them any more stronger than saying them in your living room, the challenge is not to make a beautiful wedding but a beautiful marriage.

Being a mother, I wouldn't want to miss my kids' weddings. I would like all my family to be there to rejoice with me and let me be proud of my child.

Try and find a compromise. Wedding is a very important moment for all family members, it won't change the way you relate or commit to you husband, since you already chose each other and chose to get married.

1 Like

Re: Destination Wedding by taryour(f): 9:55am On May 29, 2012
sophy09: So my fiance and I are thinking of having a destination wedding after the whole engagement wedding. We both want to get married either in st Lucia or the Bahamas

with both parents included or excluded. Both parents are against it because they feel it is going to be expensive for everyone family members which include

grandparents, aunts uncles,niece, nephew etc to be there. We informed them that no-one needs to be there since we are both adults and we have done the engagement

thing in which all the family members were involved. We gave them what they wanted which was the engagement. Now the two parents are pissed off, they want the

marriage to be done in Lagos where everyone and anyone can be there. My fiance and I are ready for the destination wedding but we do not want the whole family to

feel bad about not being there. There are side talks already about how expensive it will be, my dad having to give me away blah blah which is starting to be

annoying. So my fiance was like we should give them the wedding in Nigeria and have our destination anniversary next year, which to me is going to be expensive if

we do it that way. So my question is to should I go along with my fiance or should I stick to our plan of destination wedding.

(1) (Reply)

Wicked Uncle Took Land With The Pretence That He Will Help Secure Job For Me. / Benefits Of Big Brother Africa? / Ladies And Societal Pressure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.