Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,480 members, 7,808,750 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:19 PM

King Making In Igbo Lands - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / King Making In Igbo Lands (36510 Views)

Who Foots The Bill Of Traditional Wedding In Igbo Culture. / The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land / 'Happy Birthday' In Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 9:07pm On Jun 13, 2012
ChinenyeN: Andre, you misunderstand my post. Corrupt or not, I would have preferred that my people fought harder against did completely did away with the warrant chief institution, rather than going to go borrow external culture to transform warrant chiefs to "ezeship". I know I should take solace in the fact that the "Eze's" in my area are only ceremonial figureheads, but the fact that the "eze" culture has been so adopted is just "mmm" to me.
Omeele wu omeele.
Now can can the position of Ndi eze in your area be improved?.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by ChinenyeN(m): 9:08pm On Jun 13, 2012
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by ChinenyeN(m): 9:12pm On Jun 13, 2012
Andre Uweh: Omeele wu omeele.
Now can can the position of Ndi eze in your area be improved?.
Amaala still remains in tact. So improving on "eze" borrowed culture is not my concern. I was only voicing my opinion that I would prefer for it to have been eliminated when my people had the chance, but it's too late now. "Ezeship" has gained [unnecessary] ground. That is the reality of the situation, regardless of whether or not I like it.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by ChinenyeN(m): 9:13pm On Jun 13, 2012
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by ezeagu(m): 6:43pm On Jul 04, 2012
ChinenyeN: Andre, you misunderstand my post. Corrupt or not, I would have preferred that my people fought harder against did completely did away with the warrant chief institution, rather than going to go borrow external culture to transform warrant chiefs to "ezeship". I know I should take solace in the fact that the "Eze's" in my area are only ceremonial figureheads, but the fact that the "eze" culture has been so adopted is just "mmm" to me.

This is what I meant when I wrote about every part of Igboland being invaded. You don't get people imposing their kings onto you if your land is not invaded. It would have been better if the 'eze' that were imposed remained what they were, which is governmental figures, like a mayor or even LGA chairman. The communities have now made it out as if these 'eze' are legitimate ancient lines of kings with cultural power. The sad part is that once uniquely "republican" and egalitarian societies (like the Ngwa) are now in effect imperial societies (over 600 kings in Imo!)

But, most of these kings don't have much power over peoples lives and they can be easily replaced (although they're usually rich, and we know there's no such things as a poor man against a rich man fight in Nigeria, unless in traditional culture which is disappearing).
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by AndreUweh(m): 7:01pm On Jul 04, 2012
^^^It has become the an Igboman's way of life. The Ezes have come to stay. The Yorubas have it as well as the Hausas, so the casae of the Igbo should not be exceptional. Government pays them and they work for the govt.
How can we inprove the Ezeship stools in the east?.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by ezeagu(m): 7:16pm On Jul 04, 2012
I wouldn't say it's a way of life for all Igbo people seeing as the only people who actually care about these 'eze' are the 'eze', the family of the 'eze', the people getting money from the 'eze', the people being bullied by the 'eze', the 'ezes' friend, and the 'ezes' 'kingmakers'. Apart from that, no one gives a rats ass about no 'eze', in fact that can be said for the pre-European ones as well to a certain extent. You can improve 'ezeship' by not interfering with culture that's thousands of years old, which to be honest is already true, so I don't know what else can be improved, maybe limiting their powers.

The Hausa and the Yoruba are just that, 'Hausa' and 'Yoruba'.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by ChinenyeN(m): 5:32pm On Jul 05, 2012
I wonder though, if it is actually possible to undo this ezeship business. How exactly could one go about it?
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by odumchi: 9:33pm On Jul 05, 2012
ChinenyeN: I wonder though, if it is actually possible to undo this ezeship business. How exactly could one go about it?

Maybe you should ask the people of Abavo kingdom in Ikaland who are in the process of dethroning their own eze (obi).

http://www.ikaworld.com/index.php?mod=article&cat=news&article=1095
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by ChinenyeN(m): 9:38pm On Jul 05, 2012
Ochi e. Well, that's not exactly what I had in mind, but it is interesting.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by ezeagu(m): 1:57am On Jul 06, 2012
Trying to undo ezeship with the state of Igboland would just lead to war in the community. People start war over things as little as not receiving a title from an eze.
Re: King Making In Igbo Lands by Jackonory: 11:46am On Apr 23, 2021
WHAT GIVES THEIS IBO MAN THE RIGHT TO CARRY EBEN?

AndreUweh:
Igbo bu Igbo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oruko, Oriki And Orile, The Genius Of The Yoruba In Human Nomenclature / Pre-Wedding Photos Of Aminu Sanusi And Fulani Zainab Ali Bashir / Olori Prophetess Naomi Ogunwusi Ministering In Her Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.