Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,898 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:37 AM

Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria (10544 Views)

Enugu Government Rejects Grazing Reserves Bill / Buhari Rejects US Gay Marriage. / Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 3:20pm On Nov 20, 2007
THE Federal Government announced on Monday that it would not host the United States military's new Africa-wide military command, taking Africa’s most populous nation and a top source of American oil imports out of contention.

The government made its position official on when President Umaru Yar’Adua met with state governors and federal lawmakers.

Nigeria is also against the US command basing its headquarters elsewhere in West Africa, where the country of 140 million people is a major military and diplomatic heavyweight, said the Kwara State governor, Dr. Bukola Saraki, who announced the government's position after the meeting.

US military officials couldn't immediately be reached for comment. The US had said it aimed to better protect America’s strategic interest in Africa and assist African countries with military training and conflict prevention.

But a number of African countries, including Libya and South Africa, had expressed reservations about a move that could signal an expansion of US influence on the continent and may focus primarily on protecting oil interests.

http://nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 3:26pm On Nov 20, 2007
good move by the Presidency

Africa needs industrialization not militarization, If America thinks their interests in Africa are threatened they should secure their presence economically by engaging in honest and fair trade with Africa not deploying a military command in another man's land.

Period!!!!!!
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Nov 20, 2007
McKren:

good move by the Presidency

Africa needs industrialization not militarization, If America thinks their interests in Africa are threatened they should secure their presence economically by engaging in honest and fair trade with Africa not deploying a military command in another man's land.

Period!!!!!!

I don't get it @McKren And I am hoping you will not come back at me with anti American rambling like I have seen many do in here. What has America setting up board in Africa to do with Militarization?? Is that what you believe is happening in Japan and Saudi Arabia?? The president can choose not to allow an american base but how does not change anything?? It is not like America is Nigeria or Africa's problem. Nigeria already lobbies for American help regularly. I don't get how this really changes what is right now and always has been the main issue in the region or why you relate it to the problems we have now.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 20, 2007
McKren:

But a number of African countries, including Libya and South Africa, had expressed reservations about a move that could signal an expansion of US influence on the continent and may focus primarily on protecting oil interests.

the problem with the U.S. plan for their so called "Africa Command" is somewhat hard to define. It's not really about neo-imperialism as such, I mean, whether we admit it to ourselves or not, America already rules the world. But the question (read: problem) of the proposed Africa Command is what's in it for Africa? what extra do we stand to gain from having American jackboots permanently on West African soil? Because if, God forbid, push comes to shove and a war breaks out on the subcontinent, the U.S will just stand by and watch with folded arms, unless their access to crude is directly threatened, they're that selfish. They would even, covertly, facilitate the disintegration of whichever country is involved via the CIA so they can quickly step into the breach and install their own puppet regimes.

1 Like

Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by ndubest(m): 4:33pm On Nov 20, 2007
I personally have no beef against the Americans

but i think this is post independence era and we dont need more colonial masters

the Americans want to set up military base everywhere to monitor everyone as the "world police"

i think what we need in africa is industries as tool to fight the war against terrorism

any right thing person who is gainful empolyed will not be thinking of terrorist act

but the scourge of unemployment and our poverty level is driving such action

SO AMERICANS CAN DO A LOT FOR THE FIGHT AGAINST TERRORISM BY SETTING UP INDUSTRIES ACROSS THE CONTINENT AS A MEANS PF FIGHTIN TERRORISM

but i dont really understand this concept considering the complain that america forces in Iraq and Afghasnistan are over strectched
so where will they get men for this new base they are talking about

ALL HAIL YAR ADUA!!! AND COMPANY FOR TAKING A DECISIVE STAND ON THIS ISSUE rather than playing to the gallery

1 Like

Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 4:42pm On Nov 20, 2007
ndubest:

I personally have no beef against the Americans

but i think this is post independence era and we don't need more colonial masters

the Americans want to set up military base everywhere to monitor everyone as the "world police"

i think what we need in africa is industries as tool to fight the war against terrorism

any right thing person who is gainful empolyed will not be thinking of terrorist act

but the scourge of unemployment and our poverty level is driving such action

SO AMERICANS CAN DO A LOT FOR THE FIGHT AGAINST TERRORISM BY SETTING UP INDUSTRIES ACROSS THE CONTINENT AS A MEANS PF FIGHTIN TERRORISM

but i don't really understand this concept considering the complain that america forces in Iraq and Afghasnistan are over strectched
so where will they get men for this new base they are talking about

ALL HAIL YAR ADUA!!! AND COMPANY FOR TAKING A DECISIVE STAND ON THIS ISSUE rather than playing to the gallery

In essence, we need more handouts from America in your push for africa needing more Industries and more Most all terrorists were gainfully employed even as they planned their attacks. I do not understand why the american idea of a base in africa has anything to do with setting africa right though. I think the problem in this debate is that we are seriously trying to relate two completely different things in the name of support for this move to say NO to a base in africa.

Millitary Base or Not, The problems in Africa will continue regardless until we ourselves push for change. I think by now we should have learned that this fight against terrorism has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with doing the people's job for them, and a base in Africa does not mean America will fight Africa's own battle for them. I think the problem here is we continue with this idea that America is there to do for us what we are to do for self. There is no one country on this planet that is not selfish. NOT A SINGLE COUUNTRY ON THIS PLANET can be labelled UNSELFISH. Even Peoples of the world, we all tend to guard that which affects us more, and so that argument that america will fold it's hand is moot.

We need to please separate these issues and then we can actually debate what is on hand and not what we want to glue to it .
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 5:01pm On Nov 20, 2007
kobojunkie give us 5 reasons why it is necessary to install an american base in west africa
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 5:02pm On Nov 20, 2007
and no abuses. just debate.

thank you smiley
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 5:07pm On Nov 20, 2007
@poster:
It is a fairly OK move, but I wouldn't advise anyone to start dancing over this decision.

When it comes to situation with united States, it is always difficult for one to predict the outcome accurately. Yes, they look out for themselves (which is absolutely the right way), but they are also known to look out for their friends.

Do not let us forget that United States still remains the biggest contributor when it comes to aiding African countries.

This latest move is OK, but we must be very careful; the last thing we need is burning down the bridge between us and United States (you must never cut off the hands that you use to wipe your as s after using the toilet).

United States are users, but also a generous users.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 5:13pm On Nov 20, 2007
point of correction Big BI, the biggest contributor to african economy is africa-in-diaspora. not the US.
otherwise u made some useful points there too.its a good move but there is no need for us to dance over it. and the move will not make us US enemy anyway.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 5:18pm On Nov 20, 2007
point of correction Big BI, the biggest contributor to african economy is africa-in-diaspora

I need you to elaborate this point.

I think you're wrong, but I'm also willing to give you a chance to educate me.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 5:21pm On Nov 20, 2007
My man, don't only pay attention to African economy; there are many other important things that Africa is getting from United States.

I'm waiting to hear from you.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:22pm On Nov 20, 2007
toshmann:

kobojunkie give us 5 reasons why it is necessary to install an american base in west africa

NEWS FLASH: USA Bases already exist in Africa.

I do not need to tell give you five reasons , I am sure you can read for yourself to see America's own reason for wanting bases in Africa,

US expands military presence in Africa
afrol News, 23 September - While abandoning much of its Cold War-era bases in Europe and Asia, the US military is relocating to Africa and the Middle East to "fight terrorism" and "protect oil" resources. In Africa, US bases are to focus on Uganda, Djibouti, Senegal and São Tomé and Príncipe, where flexible, small-scale "jumping off points" exist or are to be built.

The US Pentagon is in a period of major restructuring, in particular regarding American military bases abroad. While enormous bases in Germany and South Korea are abandoned or detracted, new and more flexible bases are constructed or planned all over the world, in particular in the Middle East, Africa and Eastern Europe.

The concept is creating strategically placed "jumping off points" with very few permanently stationed troops but with the infrastructure in place to rapidly launch major regional operations, according to a report published today by the US new agency Associated Press (AP). Bases are to cover all the world's regions where the US government is concerned over potential instability or terrorism, or simply wants to protect key resources such as oil.

The plans for Africa are more or less developed, according to AP. An existing base in Entebbe, Uganda, is covering East Africa and the Great Lakes region. President Yoweri Museveni has, since he came to power in Uganda in 1986, developed a major US ally in Africa, often celebrated as the first in a "new breed of African leaders" by Washington. The Entebbe airport is already one of the best developed US bases in Africa.

Djibouti has already turned into one of the most important US military bases throughout the world. Here, US forces monitoring assumed terrorist groups in the Middle East, Africa's Horn and East Africa are headquartered. Located only 50 kilometres south-west of the Arabian Peninsula, stable and pro-Western Djibouti is also a major US military safety net in the region as their presence becomes increasingly controversial on Arab soil.

Senegal is the latest focus point of the Pentagon in Africa. The US has achieved a wide range of concessions at a Dakar airfield, which already has been used as a landing point for several military operations in West Africa. These include the large-scale operation in Liberia, but also smaller missions as under the last coup attempt in neighbouring Mauritania. Under President Abdoulaye Wade, Senegal has made a major alliance shift from France towards the US.

According to the AP report, São Tomé and Príncipe is likely to become the next US military base. The small archipelago - an upcoming oil producer - is strategically placed in the Gulf of Guinea, sub-Saharan Africa's major oil producing area. Here, the "US military could monitor the movement of oil tankers and protect oil platforms," the news agency quotes high ranking military officers.

Also the bases in Djibouti and Senegal are strategically place to protect US oil interests. Djibouti is located at the narrow Bab el Mandeb Strait at the entrance of the Red Sea, at the "world's busiest shipping lanes and close to Arabian oilfields," according to the CIA. Senegal, at the West African coast is strategically placed in a region with intensive oil explorations, which the US hopes may become a new major oil supplier within some years.

In North Africa, often considered "the backyard" of the European Union, US military presence is still more limited but is in many ways covered by NATO cooperations. The US however has developed a close military and intelligence cooperation with several North African countries, in particular Morocco and Egypt. Cooperation with Algeria and Tunisia is also improving.

In addition to this new strategic network of flexible bases, the Pentagon is known to have signed a large number of military pacts with governments all over Africa during the last years. These include oil producers such as Gabon and Mauritania, but also less significant resource owners such as Guinea Conakry and Rwanda. The US has indeed developed into the principal military partner of most African countries, displacing ex-colonial powers.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 20, 2007
I suspect that where the U.S actually want to be is Sao Tome & Principe. They're just being circuitous to get Abuja to let down its guard.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:32pm On Nov 20, 2007
ziddy:

I suspect that where the US actually want to be is Sao Tome & Principe. They're just being circuitous to get Abuja to let down its guard.

Any documents/articleas supporting this idea that there were plans for a base in Nigeria as well?
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 5:33pm On Nov 20, 2007
@kobojunkie,
haha, fight terrorism and protect oil reserves. no sir, we dont need you in nigeria. period. i'm afraid i didnt have the patience to read thru all u pasted but i saw something like museveni being given accolades by that report. . .  grin grin grin grin

anyway, in summary u could not give me any reason why they should build any such thing in or near naija.

@Biggy,
i said most of the stuff u posted made sense but i disagree that the US is the greatest contributor to our economy vis foriegn aid. i'm sorry i'm not in the mood to go looking for credible evidence to support that but i promise to get it sometime and post on this thread for you, but just know, or if you dont believe just hear it (in case u get proof somewhere later it wont be new or a shock to you) that the greates contributor to african economy via foreign aid is the african-in-diaspora.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:50pm On Nov 20, 2007
toshmann:

@kobojunkie,
haha, fight terrorism and protect oil reserves. no sir, we don't need you in nigeria. period. i'm afraid i didnt have the patience to read through all u pasted but i saw something like museveni being given accolades by that report. . .  grin grin grin grin

anyway, in summary u could not give me any reason why they should build any such thing in or near naija.

@Biggy,
i said most of the stuff u posted made sense but i disagree that the US is the greatest contributor to our economy vis foriegn aid. i'm sorry i'm not in the mood to go looking for credible evidence to support that but i promise to get it sometime and post on this thread for you, but just know, or if you don't believe just hear it (in case u get proof somewhere later it wont be new or a shock to you) that the greates contributor to african economy via foreign aid is the african-in-diaspora.

So you do not have time to read the post outlining America's reasons but you are quick to shoot all against your stand down regardless. Well,  I better move on to focusing on persons who have logical ideas to offer. I say we both move on to debating other people please. I am more into spending time on reasonable debate with people who can actually contribute reasonably please.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by babasin(m): 5:56pm On Nov 20, 2007
Do not let us forget that United States still remains the biggest contributor when it comes to aiding African countries.

Not true!

They only aid themselves.

If they truly aid any country; let them bring the 'SOLID CASH' instead of sending completed goods from their factories, farms etc.

They use all this 'aids' to improve their economy.

Iragi war alone has improve the economy; thats why people will still vote for Bush & Co.

More ammo produced, more taxes, more jobs etc.  so spare us.

This goes for all those countries: They do not provide any aids.

Ghandi said: if India cannot cloth itself, let everyone go nacked: this was when brits wanted to provide clothes.

India is #1 in textile today.

Untill we love ourself more than we love foreigners(US + others) will never progress!
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 5:58pm On Nov 20, 2007
@Big BI,
this may interest you. it may not be the proof you need but here you read of ghana's finance minister saying something about the contribution of Ghana's diasporean community to their economy. about $4.5 billion in a single year. no strings attached, nothing like tied aid, no conditions,just some cool $4.5 billion free of charge. that is what africa-in-diaspora can do. i bet u'll imagine that nigeria's figures will be greater. read the section on remittances.

until i get better evidence. . happy reading smiley

http://deniafrica.com/2006/08/03/the-african-diaspora-and-sustainable-development/

@kobo,
you are right. i had no clue they already had bases in africa. but i actually meant bases in naija. and i'm not convinced there is any sound reason for them to build any base in nigeria or its vicinity. i thot you'll list out reasons for me. simple stuff that i can assess asap. nairaland is a place where i relax, i dont expect to come here and read full articles b/c of an argument that wont win me any marks in my final exam. i'm a student, i've got limited time. see the article i put up for Big B, i directed him to the section to read, to find his evidence (or its alternative), just for you to list points you cant. know why? there are no tangible reasons for such in naija.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 6:01pm On Nov 20, 2007
Preamble:
Gen. William E. “Kip” Ward, an African American, has been handpicked by the Bush administration to lead the newly created U.S Africa Command (AFRICOM). The base and host nation for AFRICOM is yet to be disclosed. The concept of AFRICOM has been questioned by several African governments. So far Liberia is the most vocal supporter of the command and has clearly stated it’s willing to play host.

Recent reports has it that the Chinese government has started mounting pressure on Nigeria and leadership of the African Union to resist the establishment of the base, seen by some countries in Europe and Asia as “a threat to their huge investments in Africa.” Stating “oil is the bottom line of all these U.S. moves”, and Washington is also “afraid of the growing presence of China in Africa, especially Nigeria.”

According to a Pentagon press release, the new command eventually will be responsible for U.S. military relations with 53 African countries. The release states the decades of violence and civil strife in Africa, AFRICOM was created to “work with Africans to bring peace and security to their continent”.

This statement is credited to General Ward during a Q&A session with US Senators: “I see the establishment of AFRICOM as a wonderful opportunity to efficiently and effectively apply the elements of U.S. national power in ways that help the Africans develop and implement their solutions to African concerns.”

For now, AFRICOM will be co-located with U.S. European Command in Stuttgart, Germany. Plans are for AFRICOM to be fully established as a separate unified command by Sept. 30, 2008.

http://www.africanloft.com/open-debate-does-africa-need-africom-us-africa-command-base-on-the-continent/
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 6:03pm On Nov 20, 2007
@kobojukie
ya materials talks just about terrorism and oil security. that does not seem to me to be altruistic at all. its all in america's interest. what is in it for naija? what?

all the talk about helping africa get peace coming from people who exported peace and democracy to Irag. Abegi
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by babasin(m): 6:28pm On Nov 20, 2007
if they really love africans more than they love themselves:

they should encourage set-up of 'silicon valley'

They should give tax-break for US companies that move their operation to africa.

lets see them do this.

PS; A country that could not help its neighbour, Mexico, wants to help whole of Africa!
grin cheesy grin
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 6:30pm On Nov 20, 2007
This October, President George W. Bush Jnr. Finally brought to reality his promise to have the various scattered military bases responsible for monitoring peace and troubled spots in Africa, united under one command; the African Command (AFRICOM). With its headquarters presently based in Stuttgart within the headquarters of the United States European Command in Stuttgart Germany, AFRICOM has oversight functions on peace and troubled-areas monitoring for the United States.,

http://allafrica.com/stories/200711180171.html
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 6:33pm On Nov 20, 2007
babasin:

if they really love africans more than they love themselves:

they should encourage set-up of 'silicon valley'

They should give tax-break for US companies that move their operation to africa.

lets see them do this.

PS; A country that could not help its neighbour, Mexico, wants to help whole of Africa!
grin cheesy grin

Oh Yes, What a country like Nigeria with over 4 billion a year coming from Oil alone and with over 50 Billion in reserves needs is more HandOuts!!

Yes, Africa needs to be told to do good for itself by America. Other countries who want to build in Africa to protect their interests need to bring more bribe money to bribe africans in to doing the right thing for itself, How BRILLIANT!!!
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 8:04pm On Nov 20, 2007
that is not the issue mr kobojunkie,

the issue is, US wants to build something for our domot, they have to convince us how we stand to benefit from it. all the stories about peace and security of oil bla bla bla and anti terrorism holds no water as far as naija is concerned. full stop.

if we've got nothing to benefit from it, then we can as well kick against it.why not. why should we have them marines hanging around us. you are yet to give a sound argument to that effect.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 8:12pm On Nov 20, 2007
Kobojunkie:

So you do not have time to read the post outlining America's reasons but you are quick to shoot all against your stand down regardless. Well, I better move on to focusing on persons who have logical ideas to offer. I say we both move on to debating other people please. I am more into spending time on reasonable debate with people who can actually contribute reasonably please.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 8:17pm On Nov 20, 2007
There is no need for unnecessary debate, I will sleep fine tonight because at least I have a President who is smart enough to read in between the lines.

There was Rwandan Genocide, Crisis in Somalia, Siera leone, Congo, Ivory Coast etc which did not necessitate any kind of US military base in Africa.

For many years we called for fairer trade for Africa, but all that call was ignored.
All of a sudden China and India begins to develop and begin to strike more juicy deals and fairer trade with Africa, instead of the US to compete economically they prefer to deploy a military command to "protect their so-called strategic interests".

This people must be thinking we will remain fools forever.

If you don know what this is let me tell you what it is: This is simply adopting 19th century "Scramble for Africa" tactics in the face of modern day economic competitions. I must say it is shameful and contemptous to say the least that American could even come up with such a proposal

This is not about Anti-Americanism but it is about time someone told USA to start thinking of Africans like human beings

To the Site Administrator
Thanks for editing my topic, but it is kind of awkward when my views become inconsistent with my topic because the topic I posted originally has been edited and yet presented as though it was I who wrote it. I thought it will be more professional to remove entirely threads you find unacceptable than editing them as that will destroy the very essence of blogging on a public forum which is the ability to express my views.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 8:27pm On Nov 20, 2007
McKren:

There is no need for unnecessary debate, I will sleep fine tonight because at least I have a President who is smart enough to read in between the lines.

There was Rwandan Genocide, Crisis in Somalia, Siera leone, Congo, Ivory Coast etc which did not necessitate any kind of US military base in Africa.

For many years we called for fairer trade for Africa, but all that call was ignored.
All of a sudden China and India begins to develop and begin to strike more juicy deals and fairer trade with Africa, instead of the US to compete economically they prefer to deploy a military command to "protect their so-called strategic interests".

This people must be thinking we will remain fools forever.

If you don know what this is let me tell you what it is: This is simply adopting 19th century "Scramble for Africa" tactics in the face of modern day economic competitions. I must say it is shameful and contemptous to say the least that American could even come up with such a proposal

This is not about Anti-Americanism but it is about time someone told USA to start thinking of Africans like human beings

To the Site Administrator
Thanks for editing my topic, but it is kind of awkward when my views become inconsistent with my topic because the topic I posted originally has been edited and yet presented as though it was I who wrote it. I thought it will be more professional to remove entirely threads you find unacceptable than editing them as that will destroy the very essence of blogging on a public forum which is the ability to express my views.

And You think China and India are the ones thinking of Africans as HUMAN BEINGS?? lOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, WAY to pick ON ONE and not the OTHERS !!!! How UN-ANTI-AMERICAN of you !!! LMAO!!!!!!
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 8:31pm On Nov 20, 2007
Kobojunkie:

And You think China and India are the ones thinking of Africans as HUMAN BEINGS?? lOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, WAY to pick ON ONE and not the OTHERS !!!! How UN-ANTI-AMERICAN of you !!! LMAO!!!!!!

America should come up with deals and trade agreements better than those of China and India to beat them

Not by establishing military base

FYI: To be honest if you want to brand me anti-american cause of my views goodluck. I will not even attempt to prove otherwise cause it means nothing to me. I have only known how to be Nigerian and not pursuing American pasport, hence loyalty to stars and stripes means absolutely nothing to me.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 8:37pm On Nov 20, 2007
McKren:

America should come up with deals and trade agreements better than those of China and India to beat them

Not by establishing military base

Why should America do what you want??  Do you think China and India are necessarily doing it all FOR YOU Laugh OUT LOUD!!!!  Like I said earlier, I think you are turning this into what it is not and that happens to be the problem. This is apparently not about trade cause anyday, If america decides to trade with africa, Africa itself would Jump as such an offer without much questions. This is Simply about a Military base in Africa to protect THEIR INTEREST MAINLY. China and India are in Africa for MAINLY the same thing. If you look for those to treat Africans like Humans, maybe you should take a look at how Indians and Chinese and Americans treat their own people FIRST and then you check if that demand of yours is right. Even Africa itself has in over 100 years not been able to treat it's own people as HUMAN BEINGS and you want to place that responsibility on a STRANGER? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

The answer you need is given over and over in many of the posts and articles published about this issue. They are there to build a quick launch base to protect their interest. We can today fill in the blank on what America will do or not do but we need to make sure we at least understand they are not trying to do this to make LIFE BETTER FOR US. WE ARE OUR OWN  EVIL OVER LORDS. We have for over a century perpetrated the worst evils on ourselves of our own hands!!! We have so far reduced Africa to what it is by our own hands. Why now act paranoid cause the USA is coming in to do what they see we have not been able to do for them on our own?? Why do we demand more HAND DOWNS??

Are we trying to turn this into another "IF YOU DO NOT RUB MY HAND(BRIBE), YOU CAN NOT BUILD"  situation Here is what I think you say when you say such things

1) IF AMERICA CAN NOT BRIBE US WITH AMERICAN GOODS AND SERVICES, AMERICA CAN NOT BUILD A MILITARY BASE IN AFRICA

2) IF AMERICA CAN NOT GIVE US MORE FREE MONEY, IN ADDITIONAL TO THE BILLIONS IT DOES EACH YEAR, IT CAN NOT BUILD A MILITARY BASE IN NIGERIA??

3) IF AMERICA CAN NOT HUG US LIKE WE THINK CHINA AND INDIA ARE ALREADY DOING, AMERICA CAN NOT BUILD

4) IF AMERICA CAN NOT TELL US TO BUILD SILICON VALLEY IN AFRICA, AMERICA CAN NOT BUILD

LMAO!!!!

Fine, the president says he does not want any in Africa. good for him and I hope it turns out to be a good decision in the long run for Nigeria.
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by McKren(m): 8:43pm On Nov 20, 2007
Kobojunkie:

Why should America do what you want?? Do you think China and India are necessarily doing it all FOR YOU LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! Like I said earlier, I think you are turning this into what it is not and that happens to be the problem. This is apparently not about trade cause anyday, If america decides to trade with africa, Africa itself would Jump as such an offer without much questions. This is Simply about a Military base in Africa to protect THEIR INTEREST MAINLY. China and India are in Africa for MAINLY the same thing. If you look for those to treat Africans like Humans, maybe you should take a look at hour Indians and Chinese and Americans treat their own people FIRST and then you check if that demand of yours is right. Even Africa itself has in over 100 years not been able to treat it's own people as HUMAN BEINGS and you want to place that responsibility on a STRANGER? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I must be arguing with someone not in my league

I have a resource which other people want. The fairest thing they can do is to come and bid, negotiate etc to legitimately have it not to bully me or bully others so that the cost of that comodity will solely reamain the same or the commodity will only be available to them
Re: Government Rejects US Military Base In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 8:47pm On Nov 20, 2007
McKren:

I must be arguing with someone not in my league

I have a resource which other people want. The fairest thing they can do is to come and bid, negotiate etc to legitimately have it not to bully me or bully others so that the cost of that comodity will solely reamain the same or the commodity will only be available to them

Africa is being FORCED/BULLIED into this How ?? Where?? @McKren. Please I would like to see this

You mean the fact that Oil Prices is above 100 now cause of Nigeria is not Nigeria causing the price to go up around the world? smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ohanaeze Queries Cbn’s N100m Donation To Boko Haram Victims / ACN's Call For President Jonathan's Resignation Is Satanic - Anglican Church / PDP Has Institutionalised Corruption – Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.