Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,922 members, 7,806,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

"We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana (38305 Views)

Lilo Ewe Ati Egbo Fun Iwosan, Itusile Ati Aseyori / Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire / He refused to Prostrate as Yoruba culture demands (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Migan: 1:21am On Jun 26, 2012
I will be interviewing this Dahomean/Fon king for my school and I found it interesting t that I found out from one of his representatives that the Fon (Republic of Benin) kings also wear the crowns he has on like the Yoruba kings do and have done so for over 200 years.
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by SmoothCrim: 2:53am On Jun 26, 2012
All this is pure lies. The Ewe are about as Yoruba as a dog on the street is. This guy is either a troll or has a very big inferiority complex because he is living under Akan domination in Ghana. The Ewe's don't share a language with the Yoruba... Chose names similar to the Akan and wear Akan clothes. I think he hates Akan Hegemony over the Ewe so tries to fabricate a history without knowing the true history of the Yoruba(not glorious and filled with domination by the Hausa and Fulani) This shows how Akan Imperialism can drive some men to madness and cause them to even fabricate history. The names don't match up, the languages are not intelligible or even classified the same way and there is no evidence of a massive migration, the culture also does not match up. If you want to create a fake glorious history fabricate your history to match your direct neighbors instead of this inferiority complex filled history which cannot be proven in any way and is largely lies. grin grin grin This is coming from a Nigerian familiar with the region.
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by DuduNegro: 4:11am On Jun 26, 2012
Smooth,

You said you are very familiar with the area. What ethnicity are you?
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Obalufon: 10:59am On Jun 26, 2012
SmoothCrim: All this is pure lies. The Ewe are about as Yoruba as a dog on the street is. This guy is either a troll or has a very big inferiority complex because he is living under Akan domination in Ghana. The Ewe's don't share a language with the Yoruba... Chose names similar to the Akan and wear Akan clothes. I think he hates Akan Hegemony over the Ewe so tries to fabricate a history without knowing the true history of the Yoruba(not glorious and filled with domination by the Hausa and Fulani) This shows how Akan Imperialism can drive some men to madness and cause them to even fabricate history. The names don't match up, the languages are not intelligible or even classified the same way and there is no evidence of a massive migration, the culture also does not match up. If you want to create a fake glorious history fabricate your history to match your direct neighbors instead of this inferiority complex filled history which cannot be proven in any way and is largely lies. grin grin grin This is coming from a Nigerian familiar with the region.

Why are you so bitter about the post? you need to watch your words .i know you are not Yoruba. there was no time in Yoruba history we were ever dominated by the Hausa's ,they were used as slaves in our land also in wars and fulanis were scholars and traders in Yoruba land for centuries before they took advantage of a greedy general who wanted to create a state for himself within the empire due to internal disintegration of the empire. Northern part of Yoruba territory was the power house of the empire that was where the Calvary regiments of the empire was located and made it hard for Oyo to retake back the north but the fulanis were checked from advancing. "We are Yoruba or anago not Yoruba okay" Ewe Anago/yoruba, Ifon Akan Have the same linage .language mutates itself. "ETYMOLOGY "

4 Likes

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by anonymous6(f): 1:59pm On Jun 26, 2012
[quote author=shymmex][/quote]

always knew ewe's originated from Nigeria, I have ghanians friends of that tribe who have also said that but I never knew from what region or tribe through they descended from
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Obalufon: 4:09pm On Jun 26, 2012
anonymous6:

always knew ewe's originated from Nigeria, I have ghanians friends of that tribe who have also said that but I never knew from what region or tribe through they descended from
D Ile-ife .Ewe people can trace their lineage to Ketu in Benin republic and Ketu is one the oldest Yoruba city .
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Ptolomeus(m): 4:57pm On Jun 26, 2012
Dear friends.
I am South American, and student of history and African traditions, I would like to hear from you about these two "kings" Africans in America. I refer to the "Obá" Mosi Guineur ( "owner of the ASE and elect of Oloorùn" ) Barule Oba's kingdom, and Agelo Djisovi Sagbaju Agbovi I, King Fon in America.
My question is this.
According to your opinion:
1. These people are eligible (qualifying) to represent these people as kings?
2. They have the proper lineage?
3. Who / whom they proclaimed King / Oba?
4. You as Africans agree with these appointments?
I beg you to open your views on this interesting subject.

Warm regards to all!

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Chyz2: 5:16pm On Jun 26, 2012
Wrong, wrong, and wrong. The Ewe are not yoruba in any way. Shymexx, its good that you want to know more about your people but claiming people to be yoruba who are not is not the way to go about it. Yes, the Ewe are originally from Nigeria, it is a known fact,but, they are not yoruba and never have been. They were put under oyo rule then eventually pushed out. They fled towards ghana,which was their very last stop. You should read and learn about the group before you go claiming them. It's like Igbos claiming Ibibios to be Igbos because the Aros pushed them out of their land and possessed it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Ngodigha1(m): 8:34pm On Jun 26, 2012
It's so alarming at the rate which quality yoruba posters are leaving nairaland, instead, you have idiotically scripted threads and poor and unintelligent posters who know nothing but: Ewe people are Yoruba, Ghana is Yoruba, Igala is Yoruba, Itsekiri is yoruba, Kanuri is Yoruba. This and that is Yoruba, are you guys for real or just dragging yorubas to the pit.
It's high time knowleageable yorubas come back to nairaland or warn this school drop-outs to quit bringing shame to the yoruba nation.

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by tpia5: 8:43pm On Jun 26, 2012
It's high time knowleageable yorubas come back to nairaland

one of the few times i've agreed with you.

very few of us with sense here, unfortunately.

quite a few grown azz folks who should know better, but start launching d.aft tirades against life as if the world begins and ends with them.

dont know where they're breeding these miscreants from.

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jun 26, 2012
^^^^Is there anything bad in asking questions and trying to know better??

Your attitude stinks!! undecided
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jun 26, 2012
^^I didn't create this thread to cause an e-fight.. I'm just trying to learn new things, and gain knowledge..

I love African history. cool

^^^^This was I posted on the first page...
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Migan: 1:49am On Jun 27, 2012
Greetings to all. Check out this new site I found that speaks about African royalty around theworld. It is called Afrikan Royals http://www.afrikanroyals.com
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Migan: 6:25am On Jun 27, 2012
Ptolomeus: Dear friends.
I am South American, and student of history and African traditions, I would like to hear from you about these two "kings" Africans in America. I refer to the "Obá" Mosi Guineur ( "owner of the ASE and elect of Oloorùn" ) Barule Oba's kingdom, and Agelo Djisovi Sagbaju Agbovi I, King Fon in America.
My question is this.

Warm regards to all!

@Ptolomeus....I cannot speak in relation to Guinier but it has been verified that His Royal Majesty Agelo Djisovi Agbovi I was coronated as a king first in america by king makers from Benin who are Fon people in 2010 and again in a homecoming like ceremony again in Benin this year. He has lineage through his blood BUT what we are finding more and more through researching him is that one of the primary reasons he was picked to be king because of his work in thr Danxome Vodun tradition in america. Also you bring up the question of legitimacy of being king over their people. In the case of Agbovi, he is recognized as king by many people in america and has founded a kingdom. So what I'm trying to say is that the right to rule seems to come more from the people he "rules" (meaning people in america) moreso than any validation from outside sources. However, once again,in his case he was coronated by Benin FON people in either case.

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Migan: 6:34am On Jun 27, 2012
My question is this.
Warm regards to all!

@Ptolomeus...also, with all due respect, you ask the Africans here due we approve of such appontments. In Africa there are kings who rule different areas. The people of one area governed by one king have no say so about somebody becoming a king or whatever in another place. I can say I don't like such and such being the king in another land. However, I wouod sound ridiculous because it wouldn't matter what I felt because either custom, law, vote, lineage, etc specific to that area is the reason that person was chosen. So you may want to understand African kingdom and kingship SOVEREINGTY and that may help with understanding on this issue. Like I said I cannot speak on the other guy. I could but I won't.
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by SmoothCrim: 6:49am On Jun 27, 2012
Obalufon: Why are you so bitter about the post? you need to watch your words .i know you are not Yoruba. there was no time in Yoruba history we were ever dominated by the Hausa's ,they were used as slaves in our land also in wars and fulanis were scholars and traders in Yoruba land for centuries before they took advantage of a greedy general who wanted to create a state for himself within the empire due to internal disintegration of the empire. Northern part of Yoruba territory was the power house of the empire that was where the Calvary regiments of the empire was located and made it hard for Oyo to retake back the north but the fulanis were checked from advancing. "We are Yoruba or anago not Yoruba okay" Ewe Anago/yoruba, Ifon Akan Have the same linage .language mutates itself. "ETYMOLOGY "

grin grin grin grin grin grin More fake history LOL. There is no relation between these peoples. hahahahahahahhahahahahahahha
1) These groups are not related at all.
2) Of these groups the only one who may be claiming history with the Yoruba are the Ewe(like the starter of this thread who I believe is a troll) but, there is no evidence of it and the history being given here is largely a fabrication.

Actually, this is very dangerous history and will get you in big trouble in some parts of the world. Look up other groups history before you try to claim them. The Yoruba claim of even the country Benin is largely false. The peoples there are a unique people and not Yoruba as some here would like to think.

Lastly, Yoruba are more related to Igbo than any of the tribes in Ghana or Ivory Coast and genetics has proven this.

Now for the Fulani conquest of Oyo

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/425784/Ogbomosho

A simple read will show this.

Those attacks still go on today!

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/38100-oyo-farm-settlers-lament-attacks-by-herdsmen.html

Any questions? I only deal with real history not fake history written by semi literates.

To conclude, The Ewe are a distinct ethnic group who today have mixed with their direct neighbors of which the Yoruba are not one.
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Migan: 7:24am On Jun 27, 2012
My question is this.
Warm regards to all!

@Ptolomeus....Also I would suggest you look at the history of how various African kingdoms were founded and how some people became kings. Some may say a certain person is not a king because he did not go through a coronation ceremony. In our research we found out that the founder of the first African village in america was not coronated as a king  in Africa until the 1980s. He proclaimed to be a king since the early 1970s. What is interesting is that when when he finally did go to Africa for coronation, though he was not coronated already, the Africans who coronated him already recognized him as king also! You know why? It was because his people in America within and without his village had already recognized him as king. The coronation ceremony in the 1980s was simply a co signer or further legitimizing his already kingship status. Ptolomeus, if you will exchange your email with me we can dialogue in depth more about this. Like I mentioned in a post I will be interviewing the king Agbovi I for my university. Also, just to make sure it is clear, Agbovi I is a king in thr Danxome system so it may be a bit difficult for those who do not practice that culture and/or ethnically don't come from that culture for them to be able to give proper and accurate commentary on that subject. I'm sure my good Yoruba brothers and sisters can speak on the Oba thing with the other person you mentioned. I can be emailed at dahome.vodun@gmail.com Thanks
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Chyz2: 2:36pm On Jun 27, 2012
Obalufon: Why are you so bitter about the post? you need to watch your words .i know you are not Yoruba. there was no time in Yoruba history we were ever dominated by the Hausa's ,they were used as slaves in our land also in wars and fulanis were scholars and traders in Yoruba land for centuries before they took advantage of a greedy general who wanted to create a state for himself within the empire due to internal disintegration of the empire. Northern part of Yoruba territory was the power house of the empire that was where the Calvary regiments of the empire was located and made it hard for Oyo to retake back the north but the fulanis were checked from advancing. "We are Yoruba or anago not Yoruba okay" Ewe Anago/yoruba, Ifon Akan Have the same linage .language mutates itself. "ETYMOLOGY "

Wrong,wrong,and wrong again. What empire? Are you speaking of Oyo? Did Oyo control all of what is now Yoruba land? Ah-ah i don't think so.Watch out embelishment is a b!tch. Stop spreading lies and stop making up false origins and ethnicities such as "Ewe Anago/yoruba". Ewe's are not the Anago and their language did not mutate,ok? Walk up to any Ewe and speak yoruba and see for yourself.
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Chyz2: 2:39pm On Jun 27, 2012
anonymous6:

Ewes still have the nigerian look,apart from the funny ghanaian haircuts,they are still nigerian-like even with their dances. Their complexion separates them from the ghanaians as well.
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Ptolomeus(m): 5:07pm On Jun 27, 2012
Migan:

@Ptolomeus....Also I would suggest you look at the history of how various African kingdoms were founded and how some people became kings. Some may say a certain person is not a king because he did not go through a coronation ceremony. In our research we found out that the founder of the first African village in america was not coronated as a king  in Africa until the 1980s. He proclaimed to be a king since the early 1970s. What is interesting is that when when he finally did go to Africa for coronation, though he was not coronated already, the Africans who coronated him already recognized him as king also! You know why? It was because his people in America within and without his village had already recognized him as king. The coronation ceremony in the 1980s was simply a co signer or further legitimizing his already kingship status. Ptolomeus, if you will exchange your email with me we can dialogue in depth more about this. Like I mentioned in a post I will be interviewing the king Agbovi I for my university. Also, just to make sure it is clear, Agbovi I is a king in thr Danxome system so it may be a bit difficult for those who do not practice that culture and/or ethnically don't come from that culture for them to be able to give proper and accurate commentary on that subject. I'm sure my good Yoruba brothers and sisters can speak on the Oba thing with the other person you mentioned. I can be emailed at dahome.vodun@gmail.com Thanks
Dear friend and brother:
Thank you very much for your kind and enlightened response.

I made no criticism of the coronations of both kings. My only intention is to know your point of view. I have not much knowledge about the Fon culture, I have dedicated more to the study of the Yoruba (although both cultures are related).
I suppose that if the authorities Fon, endorsed the title, because then that title is valid. I can not even want to open opinion about the specific event of a coronation.
I understand that (by way of the facts) 'he proclaimed himself King in the '70s, and that the U.S. population was recognized.
I reiterate, if this is true for Fon authorities, no one can take effect.
Here in America, there are tens of thousands of people who spread the culture and African traditions. Confuses me a bit, the situation of founding a kingdom in America, if every one of those tens of thousands do so ... maybe there would be thousands of Oba in America.
That confuses me a bit.
But I repeat to you, I'm not criticizing, but by analyzing the facts.

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by SmoothCrim: 12:50am On Jun 28, 2012
Chyz*:

Ewes still have the nigerian look,apart from the funny ghanaian haircuts,they are still nigerian-like even with their dances. Their complexion separates them from the ghanaians as well.

absolutely false! What is the Nigerian look? Once again there is no relation...
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by amor4ce(m): 12:56am On Jun 28, 2012
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Obalufon: 1:42am On Jun 28, 2012
Chyz*:

Wrong,wrong,and wrong again. What empire? Are you speaking of Oyo? Did Oyo control all of what is now Yoruba land? Ah-ah i don't think so.Watch out embelishment is a b!tch. Stop spreading lies and stop making up false origins and ethnicities such as "Ewe Anago/yoruba". Ewe's are not the Anago and their language did not mutate,ok? Walk up to any Ewe and speak yoruba and see for yourself.
. Rest to your imagination. The Ewes know their root. We know ourselves ,there is link between us. You can't erase that with jealous
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Obalufon: 1:42am On Jun 28, 2012
Obalufon: . Rest to your imagination. The Ewes know their root. We know ourselves ,there is link between us. You can't erase that with your jealous
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Obalufon: 1:48am On Jun 28, 2012
SmoothCrim:

grin grin grin grin grin grin More fake history LOL. There is no relation between these peoples. hahahahahahahhahahahahahahha
1) These groups are not related at all.
2) Of these groups the only one who may be claiming history with the Yoruba are the Ewe(like the starter of this thread who I believe is a troll) but, there is no evidence of it and the history being given here is largely a fabrication.

Actually, this is very dangerous history and will get you in big trouble in some parts of the world. Look up other groups history before you try to claim them. The Yoruba claim of even the country Benin is largely false. The peoples there are a unique people and not Yoruba as some here would like to think.

Lastly, Yoruba are more related to Igbo than any of the tribes in Ghana or Ivory Coast and genetics has proven this.

Now for the Fulani conquest of Oyo

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/425784/Ogbomosho

A simple read will show this.

Those attacks still go on today!

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/38100-oyo-farm-settlers-lament-attacks-by-herdsmen.html

Any questions? I only deal with real history not fake history written by semi literates.

To conclude, The Ewe are a distinct ethnic group who today have mixed with their direct neighbors of which the Yoruba are not one.

Go to the ewes and tell them that and see what will happen ..
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Obalufon: 2:06am On Jun 28, 2012
Chyz*:
Wrong, wrong, and wrong. The Ewe are not yoruba in any way. Shymexx, its good that you want to know more about your people but claiming people to be yoruba who are not is not the way to go about it. Yes, the Ewe are originally from Nigeria, it is a known fact,but, they are not yoruba and never have been. They were put under oyo rule then eventually pushed out. They fled towards ghana,which was their very last stop. You should read and learn about the group before you go claiming them. It's like Igbos claiming Ibibios to be Igbos because the Aros pushed them out of their land and possessed it.
. TALK ABOUT IGBOS I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT YOU PEOPLE.

1 Like

Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Obalufon: 2:08am On Jun 28, 2012
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Obalufon: 2:13am On Jun 28, 2012
ok
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by tpia5: 4:44am On Jun 28, 2012
921 views in four weeks.

oh well, could be worse.
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Chyz2: 5:00am On Jun 28, 2012
Obalufon: . Rest to your imagination. The Ewes know their root. We know ourselves ,there is link between us. You can't erase that with jealous

Obviously you know nothing. Go read and learn before you claim a people you know nothing about.
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Chyz2: 5:01am On Jun 28, 2012
Obalufon: . TALK ABOUT IGBOS I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT YOU PEOPLE.

Go ask your fada.
Re: "We The Ewe People Of Ghana Are The Same As Yoruba"- Yewe2011.ewe Guy From Ghana by Migan: 9:34am On Jun 28, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Dear friend and brother:
Thank you very much for your kind and enlightened response.

I made no criticism of the coronations of both kings. My only intention is to know your point of view. I have not much knowledge about the Fon culture, I have dedicated more to the study of the Yoruba (although both cultures are related).
I suppose that if the authorities Fon, endorsed the title, because then that title is valid. I can not even want to open opinion about the specific event of a coronation.
I understand that (by way of the facts) 'he proclaimed himself King in the '70s, and that the U.S. population was recognized.
I reiterate, if this is true for Fon authorities, no one can take effect.
Here in America, there are tens of thousands of people who spread the culture and African traditions. Confuses me a bit, the situation of founding a kingdom in America, if every one of those tens of thousands do so ... maybe there would be thousands of Oba in America.
That confuses me a bit.

But I repeat to you, I'm not criticizing, but by analyzing the facts.

@Ptolomeus...I understand u brother. Thanks for being a seeker of facts. Maybe when I interview His Majesty Agbovi I i can get you in touch with him. He seems like a man of scholarship himself.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Brief History Of Nnewi / Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched / Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.