Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,384 members, 7,781,098 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:51 AM

Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests (14831 Views)

Two Generals Purportedly Express Shock Over Jonathan’s Boko Haram War Politics / Five PDP Governors Will Join APC – Oyegun / Which Of These Is Nigerians Greatest Dissapointment? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by wesley80(m): 7:39am On May 30, 2012

Many have read several meanings into the presidential gesture of re-naming the 50-year
old University of Lagos, after the late Chief Moshood Kashimawo Olwale (MKO) Abiola,
fondly regarded as the June 12 hero and democracy icon, which many believe prefaced
the birth of the nation’s democracy.
While some think it is a political masterstroke to break into the South west political bloc,
others see it as playing to the gallery, as it upturns the trend in the past where the
Federal Government shied away from discussing the Abiola phenomenon in the Nigerian
political space. Yet, others think it is mere red herring tactic to divert attention from the
core issues of governance.
But more curiously, the gesture seems to have provoked avalanche of mixed reactions,
many of which are condemnatory of the Federal Government .
....But expectedly, the President’s announcement excited the Abiola family which,
yesterday, said they were ecstatic over the renaming of the University of Lagos (UNILAG)
as the Moshood Abiola University.
In a telephone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Mr Abdul Abiola, son of
the late politician said there was nothing wrong with the naming of the university after
his father.
``We are shocked by the reactions trailing this development. My late father believed so
much in education.”
Abiola’s first child, Lola Abiola-Edewor and Hafsat Abiola-Costello said that the Federal
Government should be commended for recognizing the contribution of the late politician
to the return of democracy in the country.
Abiola-Edewor however condemned the protest by some students saying that the
gesture was long overdue.
Like her brother, she said: “I really do not understand all of the hues and cries. Nigerians
had demanded severally that MKO be immortalised and asked why nothing had been
done till date. What I cannot understand though is how renaming of UNILAG has
degenerated into such a controversy. University of Ife was renamed Obafemi Awolowo
University and it has remained,” Abiola-Edewor said.
Abiola-Costello however tasked the Federal Government on the alleviation of poverty
amongst Nigerians.
...But former Edo State governor, Chief John Oyegun said “for me it is very good. It is high
time a major national monument is named after Abiola.

thisdaylive.com/articles/kudos-knocks-as-fg-re-names-unilag-after-mko-abiola/116921/
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by wesley80(m): 7:42am On May 30, 2012
^^ So said his family and an ACN chieftain.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by okosodo: 8:37am On May 30, 2012
Abiola did‘nt fight for any1, he fought 4 himself

20 Likes

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by T9ksy(m): 9:03am On May 30, 2012
okosodo: Abiola did‘nt fight for any1, he fought 4 himself

Thank you, ojare!

MKO has never championed the course of the poor and the downtrodden rather he fought for his pocket and for which he was amply

rewarded by the same cabal who have been holding the whole country back for decades and who later had him killed when their r/ship

went sour. MKO did not die for us or democracy but for his inordinate ambition.

I know some will point to the myriad mosques he built all over the country as part of his contributions to the masses. In

that case, the retardeen of aso rock should have picked one of them to name after him and not a brand name higher institute of

education like Unilag.

Come to think of it, i thought a poly had already been named after him?

Just when you think the fisherman currently occupying our seat of govt. cannot surpass his past record of idiocy, GEJ comes up with

a masterstroke.!

23 Likes

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Desola(f): 9:09am On May 30, 2012
seriously though, can this decision be reversed? I'm even sadder than the day he won the election. This man has become a thorn in our flesh. I despise him beyond words.

He is a devourer, he has come to destroy all good things in his path. I curse those who voted for him!

4 Likes

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by wesley80(m): 10:22am On May 30, 2012
T9ksy:

[i]Thank you, ojare!

MKO has never championed the course of the poor and the downtrodden rather he fought for his pocket and for which he was amply

rewarded by the same cabal who have been holding the whole country back for decades and who later had him killed when their r/ship

went sour. MKO did not die for us or democracy but for his inordinate ambition.

I know some will point to the myriad mosques he built all over the country as part of his contributions to the masses.

Are these the thoughts of the average Yoruba man also? Gradually true feelings are being let out.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by ektbear: 10:24am On May 30, 2012
Desola: seriously though, can this decision be reversed? I'm even sadder than the day he won the election. This man has become a thorn in our flesh. I despise him beyond words.

He is a devourer, he has come to destroy all good things in his path. I curse those who voted for him!

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Nobody: 10:25am On May 30, 2012
wesley80:

Are these the thoughts of the average Yoruba man also? Gradually true feelings are being let out.

That is his own personal opinion even those in the camp of Akintola didnt like Awolowo.So how does scanty opinions affect a major one ?
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by wesley80(m): 10:35am On May 30, 2012
~Bluetooth:

That is his own personal opinion even those in the camp of Akintola didnt like Awolowo.So how does scanty opinions affect a major one ?

Well, the opinion came from somewhere didn't it? Those in Akintola's camp may not have liked Awo but on his death, he was eulogized by all and most have honoured his memory. Can we say same for Abiola?
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by PointB: 12:26pm On May 30, 2012
Na wa ooo. Really thought MKO was revered in Yorubaland.
Some of these comments are interesting, and some totally disappointing.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by philip0906(m): 12:38pm On May 30, 2012
d reason y d name change is being rejected by d students is simply b'cos- e no sweet 4 mouth.Moshod Abiola University,Lagos aka MAU. Very Local name grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by PointB: 12:41pm On May 30, 2012
philip0906: d reason y d name change is being rejected by d students is simply b'cos- e no sweet 4 mouth.Moshod Abiola University,Lagos aka MAU. Very Local name grin grin grin grin

My guy, I agree with you. It sounds more like Moshood Abiola Islamic University of Nigeria. Not cool or sexy at all!
Now I can imagine their indignation; I would protest wildly too if I were in their shoes.

2 Likes

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by wesley80(m): 12:44pm On May 30, 2012
Some more praises from the likes of uncle Aregbe and Col Umar

The governor of the State of Osun, Ogbeni Rauf
Aregbesola, on Tuesday advised President
Jonathan to go a step further by recognising
the victory of the late Chief MKO Abiola in the
June 12 presidential election.
The governor, while applauding the honour
done the late Abiola by the renaming of
UNILAG, however, said that what could
permanently heal the wounds of the
incarceration of Abiola and the brutalisation of
his supporters was to officially recognise the
fact that he won the presidential election of
June 12, 1993, and accord him posthumously
all the rights and privileges associated with the
office.
The director, Bureau of Communications and
Strategy in the Office of the Governor, Mr.
Semiu Okanlawon, quoted Aregbesola as saying
that Abiola won the election decisively.
"While acknowledging the fact that Abiola
deserves the honour, we must not forget the
need to recognise his victory. The fact that the
federal government has eventually honoured
him with this renaming of the University of
Lagos is an admission of the fact that Abiola
was unjustly denied his victory. If that is the
case, then, I urge the federal government to go
the whole hog to recognise his victory, and
accord him all the rights due to the office of the
president of Nigeria posthumously.
"This is the only way to heal the wounds
inflicted on Abiola and the brutalisation of the
psyche of the Nigerian people," the governor
stated.
A former military governor of old Kaduna State,
Col. Dangiwa Umar (rtd), commended
President Jonathan for his decision to rename
UNILAG as Moshood Abiola University, Lagos.
According to Dangiwa, "The decision by the
federal government of Nigeria to rename
University of Lagos Moshood Abiola University is
long overdue. I salute the president for his
magnanimity and courage. Thank God common
sense has finally prevailed."
A chieftain of the pan-Yoruba socio-cultural
group, Afenifere, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, has also
described the decision as commendable.
Adebanjo, while lampooning those against the
decision said the government though would
have undertaken wider consultation before
taking the action.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by valencia25(m): 3:28pm On May 30, 2012
MAU MAU MAU...... Dat name sounds Cowlistic!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Castos(m): 3:33pm On May 30, 2012
This MKO of a man, how heroic was he. Anyway, students are just misbehaving and showing a stupid act of youthful exurberance over such a small matter. I advice the Maulag student to read their books and forget this naming of a thing.

2 Likes

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Castos(m): 3:34pm On May 30, 2012
valencia25: MAU MAU MAU...... Dat name sounds Cowlistic!!! grin grin grin grin
WHAT EVER THE NAME IS, LET THEM 4GET IT AND READ THEIR BOOKS.

1 Like

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Kobojunkie: 3:35pm On May 30, 2012

O se ooO!!! Abiola From as far back as the 70's had his eye on the presidency. Wined and dined the corrupt military to get there. The problem he had with Abacha could have been seen in a way as Abacha protecting his own interest too.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by deshclones(m): 3:36pm On May 30, 2012
~Bluetooth:

bleeding swine..now its his own personal opinion..when its the turn of the ever industrious and enterprising igbos..you group them together instead of dealing with individuals...bigot

3 Likes

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Ideasroole: 3:36pm On May 30, 2012
PointB:

My guy, I agree with you. It sounds more like Moshood Abiola Islamic University of Nigeria. Not cool or sexy at all!
Now I can imagine their indignation; I would protest wildly too if I were in their shoes.
Dis lyf na wa o! I'd always known it will come to this, some 'bit' of religious sentiments even against their own. How interesting? Anyway, I'm not surprised.

1 Like

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Super1759: 3:41pm On May 30, 2012
Wehter name is changed or not.wether you hate GEJ or not.its quite emparative that yourbas now prefer name of a school than a man who fought 4 a just course.am not interested in all this rubbish.truly those students are huge of disapointment.I trust GEJ..he is a suprise supriser.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by ebamma(m): 3:41pm On May 30, 2012
if u ask any of dis guys why the are against d renaming of unilag,dem go tell u say the new name no tight,but i have one question 4 them,will the renaming of unilag to maulag make a dumb student brilliant or a brilliant student dumb?,

1 Like

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 3:45pm On May 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:

O se ooO!!! Abiola From as far back as the 70's had his eye on the presidency. Wined and dined the corrupt military to get there. The problem he had with Abacha could have been seen in a way as Abacha protecting his own interest too.

But he won an election.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by juman(m): 3:45pm On May 30, 2012

Hmmm, Allahu Akbar.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 3:49pm On May 30, 2012
Naija. cool
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by CyberG: 3:50pm On May 30, 2012
Lifted from another thread:

Of course they will attack him! What is the use of attack dogs and scums of the gutter like Beaf, Weereleripe, Jonhdogoe, Jmain, Wesley00, Korrction?? Rather than commission a single pole fixed in the ground as expansion of PHCN, he would rather go and change the name of a university people have worked and labored to build for almost 50 years! I think the man is just stoopid and too dumb and the folks from his neck of the woods are no better!

@Post: Obviously, posters here are being disingenuous and downright stoopid to even suggest that any comments from the SW portrays Abiola not to be liked! This is not the issue at all but it seems like the dumbass president, some people only want to ignore the main issue and major on the minor:

1. A real honor is renaming democracy day after him and recognize his place as president posthumously, this will get the support of everyone or most reasonable people.

2. The SW people are the most sophisticated and progressive people ever and see no point in having a built up brand after 50 years destroyed by someone who is too stupid at 54 to know that the university was established by an act of parliament and cannot be changed fiat. Why not announce a new Federal university after MKO and see it grow to towering heights in a few years?

3. Due process. In a democracy, the people come first and he should have consulted with the students, alumni and the people who are stakeholders before trying to steal glory he knew nothing about or reap where he did not sow.

4. Brand recognition is a big deal when you try to do your graduate studies in a foreign university or work in the Microsofts, Googles, etc of this world because they immediately know and can recognize the brand of the certificate and transcripts you have. It is a big setback to Nigeria and Nigerians if they have to surmount a totally unnecessary obstacle like this in the process!

5. This whole thing is a distraction from the fact that the daft president has done nothing to advance the country! Rather, he has wiped out a ~ $ 60 B surplus and replaced it with a ~$ 60 deficit, wiped out the ~ $ 30 B Excess Crude Account, increased cost of gas, grown BH to dangerous levels terrorizing the state, has nothing to show for the monies spent so far, under him Nigeria's influence has totally evaporated, corruption has become state religion, the position of the president had been desecrated and brought down to a tribal position, Nigeria's fortunes in the sporting world and indeed football has hit rock bottom!!

This man is a dangerous man and needs to be killed as soon as possible because his life is not more precious than the thousands that has been killed by BH due to his inactions, actions and sheer incompetence!!

12 Likes

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by Nobody: 3:50pm On May 30, 2012
Interesting to knw dat MkO Abiola is a piece of shit to yoruba pipl. I'v said it b4 d average yoruba man lacks respect. Plz GEJ Name futo Ojukwu university we wil embrace it o

4 Likes

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by CyberG: 3:53pm On May 30, 2012
chiover: Interesting to knw dat MkO Abiola is a piece of shit to yoruba pipl. I'v said it b4 d average yoruba man lacks respect. Plz GEJ Name futo Ojukwu university we wil embrace it o

Obviously you are too stoopid to have any sense! Only tribal cretins like you reason and talk in Brain farts!
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 3:54pm On May 30, 2012
grin grin grin

chiover: Interesting to knw dat MkO Abiola is a piece of shit to yoruba pipl. I'v said it b4 d average yoruba man lacks respect. Plz GEJ Name futo Ojukwu university we wil embrace it o
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by 9jvirgin(m): 3:58pm On May 30, 2012
Super1759: Wehter name is changed or not.wether you hate GEJ or not.its quite emparative that yourbas now prefer name of a school than a man who fought 4 a just course.am not interested in all this rubbish.truly those students are huge of disapointment.I trust GEJ..he is a suprise supriser.

Did you just say GEJ is a surprise surpriser? grin You call a man that is NOT IN CHARGE a surpriser? You mean he is surprising you with this kind of decisions? cheesy
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by kiviglomi: 3:59pm On May 30, 2012
[quote author=Desola]seriously though, can this decision be reversed? I'm even sadder than the day he won the election. This man has become a thorn in our flesh. I despise him beyond words.

*@Desola: you are cursed beyond measures, you whole house is cursed, right from the days of your ancestors that's why you are this supid, foolish being who deosn't even know his left or right. what has GEJ got to do with his voters, that you armed rubber uncle didn't win doesn't give you room to expose your illitrate self. you better go back home and write you primary 3 exams b4 you come here to open your stinky, rotten gabbage in public. ode, fool.

5 Likes

Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by icez: 4:02pm On May 30, 2012
grin grin grin grin

*@Desola: you are cursed beyond measures, you whole house is cursed, right from the days of your ancestors that's why you are this supid, foolish being who deosn't even know his left or right. what has GEJ got to do with his voters, that you armed rubber uncle didn't win doesn't give you room to expose your illitrate self. you better go back home and write you primary 3 exams b4 you come here to open your stinky, rotten gabbage in public. ode, fool.
Re: Abiola's Family, Oyegun Express Shock, Dissapointment At UNILAG Protests by wesley80(m): 4:06pm On May 30, 2012
CyberG:
This man is a dangerous man and needs to be killed as soon as possible because his life is not more precious than the thousands that has been killed by BH due to his inactions, actions and sheer incompetence!!

Who else would make statement like this other than a person with uncleanable fundamentalist al majiri blood. Surely a pig must always head for the gutters so despite your fathers best efforts taking u abroad and educating, you its unfortunate your blood has refused to get cleansed.
I'm glad your old man has already reported your case to the US embassy before you choose to stuff some xplosives down your winny like your cousin Mutallab! We are watching and waiting, surely Guantanamo beckons. Wanna bet?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC Rejects INEC's Call For Name Change / APC Governors Meet Buhari On Ministerial Nominees Tuesday / Why Osun Governorship Tribunal Was Moved To Abuja – Appeal Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.