Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,835 members, 7,806,353 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig (1182 Views)

What Oby Ezekwesili Tweeted After Amaechi Was Confirmed As A Minister / Angry Nigerians React On Twitter As Musiliu Obanikoro Is Confirmed As Minister / Resume Of New Ig Md Abubakar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BigB11(m): 6:41pm On Nov 20, 2007
Yar’Adua confirms Okiro as IG

THE acting Inspector General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro, was on Monday confirmed as the substantive Inspector General effective June 1, 2007.

His confirmation was one of the decisions taken at the National Council of State meeting held at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Briefing State House correspondents after the meeting, the chairman of the Governors’ Forum and governor of Kwara State, Dr. Bukola Saraki, said the confirmation of Mr. Okiro was based on the recommendation of the president.

Monday’s meeting was the first since President Umaru Yar’Adua assumed office and was attended by former President Olusegun Obasanjo who handed over to President Yar’Adua on May 29, 2007.

The National Council of state is made up of the president, former heads of state/presidents, serving governors, serving chief justice of Nigeria and former chief justices as well as the leadership of the National Assembly.

Governor Saraki, alongside the governors of Kano and Bayelsa states, Ibrahim Shekaru and Prieye Sylvia, briefed State House correspondents.

According to him, issues discussed ranged from the security challenges in the country, especially in the Niger Delta, to those of feeding of prisoners, armed robbery, among others.

The council also approved the conferment of national honours on 204 Nigerians including members of the victorious Golden Eaglets as well as the world heavyweight champion, Samuel Peters.

One of the criteria for nomination for the award, according to Saraki, was that at least two members from each state of the federation must also be accommodated in the proposed national honours.

According to Saraki, the government rejected the setting up of a military base by the American government in the country but approved the setting up of an African stand-by force.

“First of all, council was briefed on the state of the nation, talking about the economy of the country with particular reference to security largely, saying that there are old challenges and new challenges, the issue of armed robbery, the issue of militias in the Niger Delta and other parts of the country.

“On the issue of security, the President was mandated to go back to the records and check the report of the two committees that were set up by the immediate past administration on the issues of welfare, equipping the services and the police.

He was asked to dust up the report and see the recommendations, especially the report submitted by the retired DIG Danmadami that went around in the process of improving the service of the police and also improve security generally.

“Another item we talked about is the issue of prisons. How do we continue to manage the prisons under the present condition? It is clear that funding of it was becoming a bit of the burden to the Federal Government of Nigeria.

“The other issue brought was national awards. Council approved provisionally, the number of persons brought forward, about 204.

But the provision was given because questions were raised by some states that there were some recommendations that did not come from the states.

“So, council directed that within this week, state governors should vet some of the recommendations and ensure they fall in line with the practice which is two recommendation from each state normally recommended by state governments and ensure that those names were part of the recommendations from the state, and make them available to the SGF before the end of the week.

“Also brought to our attention for information purposes is that the U-17 team and new World Boxing Champion are among those included in the National Honours list 2007.

“Council also urged governors not to politicise the appointment of chief judges and to make sure that the most experienced judge at all times becomes the chief judge.

On the election violence in Kano, Governor Shekaru said some politicians who were not ready to accept defeat precipitated the crisis.

Monday meeting was attended by former Presidents Shehu Shagari, Olusegun Obasanjo, Ibrahim Babangida, former head of state, Abdulsalami Abubakar and Chief Ernest Shonekan, head of the defunct Interim National Government (ING).

http://www.ngex.com/cgi-bin/frame/frameit2.plx?link="http://www.tribune.com.ng"
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BigB11(m): 6:45pm On Nov 20, 2007
Okiro was always my pick from day one, and his latest courageous move (arresting Adedibu) also speaks well and indicates what leadership is all about.
In just few months, this man has accomplished much more than Ehindero's life time accomplishment.

Leadership role is not for everybody!
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by Mamajama(m): 7:08pm On Nov 20, 2007
BIGB1 stop this ass licking like a gay. dude you don't even know who MIKE OKIRO was before he was pronounce acting IGP.

Ask people like me who is OKIRO, I can show you pics of OKIRO, Jonathan THE VP sitting in my balcony with his hands fold.

What has OKIRO Accomplished please tell us?

ADEDIBU was arraigned in court in ABUJA. if you have any ounce of intelligence in your dilapidated brain,. you Will know you can't arraigned someone outside the jurisdiction which their alleged crime was perpetrated. Its unenforceable and that case will be dismissed right before your own eyes.

ADEDIBU has not committed any crime in ABUJA< he has no residence in ABUJA, this is all political. the man might be a terror, but don't shallow peoples mind or play on our intelligence with this pessimistic petty charges.

I wish OKIRO good luck as the New IGP
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by McKren(m): 7:21pm On Nov 20, 2007
Ask people like me who is OKIRO, I can show you pics of OKIRO, Jonathan THE VP sitting in my balcony with his hands fold.

Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by Mamajama(m): 7:28pm On Nov 20, 2007
@BIGB1 since you think you know so much about police force. you have 5 minutes to respond to this questions or your credibility is shallow for ever

What are the slogan and the mission statements of the last 10 inspector general of police?

What impact did SUNNY ADEWUSI played in the 1979 election?

Who was the commissioner of police in 1992 before e IBB your father left office in disgrace.

Who is the only inspector general of police appointed to represent west African police by the UN?

I hate when people like you who don't even know who Lawrence anini was start talking trash.

Time is ticking from now. you have less than 4 minutes
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BigB11(m): 7:30pm On Nov 20, 2007
Ask people like me who is OKIRO,  I can show you pics of OKIRO, Jonathan THE VP sitting in my balcony with his hands fold

MAMAJAMA,
This isn't a picture gallery, so you can even go ahead and show me PIC of Okiro and Jonathan, the VP sitting on top of your head; it doesn't matter. The man has shown us that he's a serious leader.
So far, he has accomplished all the things that seemed to be impossible when Ehidero (coward) was in-charge.

Ehindero ran all over the country with absolutely zero accomplishment while folks like Adedibu continued to terrorize folks in Ibadan.

I don't care how you see it, but Okiro's action has slowed down the terror. The fresh air is finally blowing in Ibadan.

FYI: What Ehindero wanted to eat also blind-folded the worthless jellyfish
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by Afam(m): 7:32pm On Nov 20, 2007
I think Mamajama has a strong point on the issue of arraigning Adedibu in a court in Abuja, that is the fastest way to throw away the case as he stated.

Meanwhile, when will this fight between the sons of IBB and Ehindero end?
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BigB11(m): 7:36pm On Nov 20, 2007
@BIGB1 since you think you know so much about police force. you have 5 minutes to respond to this questions or your credibility is shallow for ever

What are the slogan and the mission statements of the last 10 inspector general of police?

What impact did SUNNY ADEWUSI played in the 1979 election?

Who was the commissioner of police in 1992 before e IBB your father left office in disgrace.

Who is the only inspector general of police appointed to represent west African police by the UN?

I hate when people like you who don't even know who Lawrence anini was start talking trash.

Time is ticking from now. you have less than 4 minutes

MAMAJAMA:
You're absolutely not in a position to ask Big B1 any question.
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BigB11(m): 7:40pm On Nov 20, 2007
I think Mamajama has a strong point on the issue of arraigning Adedibu in a court in Abuja, that is the fastest way to throw away the case as he stated.

Arraigning Adedibu in Abuja was done intentional to prevent further unnecessary killing and properties damaging in Ibadan. It was also done to empower the Ibadan people and send them a message that the man it definitely touchable.

Just wait and see the next step.
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by Mamajama(m): 7:43pm On Nov 20, 2007
Dude if your father didn't steal from Nigeria, i will personally pay for you to come back and visit me in CHICAGO and go to a law seminar.

There is something called JURISDICTION in LAW.  Can you tell me how can you charge someone in ABUJA for a crime that was committed in another state?  This is not a federal offence and has no merit.  OKIRO as a lawyer should know better.

DID you know ADEDIBU was house in IG guest house while he was in ABUJA?

Boy stay tune i can educate you. Politics is only for the wise people to dissect not for morons who are blinded by their parents ill gotten wealths
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BigB11(m): 7:43pm On Nov 20, 2007
Dealing with folks like this man (Adedibu), one has to be creative and also systematic.

MAMAJAMA: Leadership 101 NYU
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by Mamajama(m): 7:48pm On Nov 20, 2007
DUDE, stop talking like a dumb ass. Hypothetically. IF OBJ publicly proclaimed ADEDIBU as the father of PDP. Was YAR ADua not elected under that same party? IS OBJ still not controlling YAR ADUA?

Trust me boy. this case will evaporate like hot water in the middle of lakeshore in Chicago winter.

Nigeria still has the untouchable class, and ADEDIBU happen to fall in that class, love him or hate him for his character. He will be protected by the most powerful people in Nigeria. that is why we still can't touch your toothless GENERAL BABANGIDA
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BigB11(m): 8:03pm On Nov 20, 2007
MAMAJAMA,
This isn't a picture gallery, so you can even go ahead and show me PIC of Okiro and Jonathan, the VP sitting on top of your head; it doesn't matter. The man has shown us that he's a serious leader.
So far, he has accomplished all the things that seemed to be impossible when Ehidero (coward) was in-charge.

Ehindero ran all over the country with absolutely zero accomplishment while folks like Adedibu continued to terrorize folks in Ibadan.

I don't care how you see it, but Okiro's action has slowed down the terror. The fresh air is finally blowing in Ibadan.

FYI: What Ehindero wanted to eat also blind-folded the worthless jellyfish

Ehindero can not touch Okiro in any way.
This man should have been selected many years ago. Ehindero represents what is wrong in Ibadan. He's fully responsible and should be punished.
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by Mamajama(m): 8:10pm On Nov 20, 2007
Why do you like controversy? you argue blindly. this is thanks giving weekend for us in the state, we are grateful for the service render my MR EHINDERO. he change the slogan of TAFA fire for fire to To serve and to protect with integrity before he was confirmed as IGP. SO I wish OKIRO good luck, he is a good man from what I know of him.

BIGB1 do you know who your father IBB elect appoint as IGP? His name is MUHAMMADU GAMBO a high school cert holder.
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BigB11(m): 8:26pm On Nov 20, 2007
BIGB1 do you know who your father IBB elect appoint as IGP? His name is MUHAMMADU GAMBO a high school cert holder.

Leadership is much bigger than college degree and this is one of our problems in Nigeria; a college degree doesn't qualify one to be an effective leader.
The most effective leaders can not even spell their own names
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by IykeD1(m): 8:48pm On Nov 20, 2007

he change the slogan of TAFA fire for fire to To serve and to protect with integrity before he was confirmed as IGP.
Classic - "Fire for Fire", what a slogan? wink

Leadership is much bigger than college degree and this is one of our problems in Nigeria; a college
degree doesn't qualify one to be an effective leader.
The most effective leaders can not even spell
their own names
Good point - however, it goes without saying that Nigeria's problems have been compounded by
appointing people who can not even spell their names into offices that requires the office holder to
spell, read, write, analyze, formulate policies, and in general have the awareness that they live in
a modern society, not a feudal one. Some of the past CNB governors readily come to mind - Alhaji
Alhaji for instance. . .

OK - sorry for the interruption, you guys can resume the fight now!
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by Mamajama(m): 9:02pm On Nov 20, 2007
Iyke-D:

Classic - "Fire for Fire", what a slogan? wink
Good point - however, it goes without saying that Nigeria's problems have been compounded by
appointing people who can not even spell their names into offices that requires the office holder to
spell, read, write, analyze, formulate policies, and in general have the awareness that they live in
a modern society, not a feudal one. Some of the past CNB governors readily come to mind - Alhaji
Alhaji for instance. . .

OK - sorry for the interruption, you guys can resume the fight now!

Another one of IBB appointments. what did he do with CBN but help IBB swindle the treasury.

BIGBI please give me 10 names of outstanding leaders in the 21st century with no outstanding qualifications or education. IBB was very smart by surrounding himself with bunch of people who can't read and write. All they have to do is concure to what OGA said.

@BIGB1 I just wish you can stop talking when we authentic Nigerians citizens are talking of transparency, accountability and credibility.
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BigB11(m): 9:15pm On Nov 20, 2007
appointing people who can not even spell their names

Dude, simmer down, I was only talking about the leaders in my village.

And please say hello to my little friend, Mckren!
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by Mamajama(m): 9:24pm On Nov 20, 2007
Stupidity does truly bounds in the mind. BIGb1 why can't you for once have a reasonable conversation with people without name calling?

I guess you are the product of IBB what can we expect for a tyranny leader that should have been sent to Sudan for peace keeping mission.
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by angel101(f): 11:54am On Nov 21, 2007
lol!!!
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by angel101(f): 11:55am On Nov 21, 2007
Kudos to Okiro jare wink
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by iykrion(m): 2:23pm On Nov 21, 2007
Afam:

Mamajama has no point there, Adedibu was accused of LIKELY BREACH OF PUBLIC PEACE IN ABUJA, IBADAN, PORT HARCOURT and some other cities in Nigeria, so any court within these places has the jurisdiction to hear the case. The offence is a bailable one, so I can't understand what he meant by throwing the case away. The most important thing is that some one has set the stone rolling, it really required guts to discredit Adedibu's words let alone charging him to court.

Mamajama must understand that Okiro was not responsible for Ehindero's plight, telling us that he has a pix of Okiro sitting is his balcony as a way to support his assertion that he knows Okiro, is at best shallow and at worst irresponsible.

@Mamajama,
I have come to understand that you have a soft spot for Ehindero, pray tell me, how did Sunday Gabriel Ehindero get the money with which he initially bought the IG's official residence in the Maitama area of Abuja? You and I know that his entire life savings can never buy such a house.

Changing a slogan does not mean believing in what it represents. Where was the integrity in the NPF during Ehindero's inglorious reign? How much was the salary of a police ASP during his tenure? If you call IBB names, then know it for sure that Ehindero must not be spared also.

Okiro is loved by the ranks and file of the NPF. I know that Okiro will do better that Ehindero (that is if Ehindero did any positive thing at all). I have known Sir Okiro right from when he was a DPO in Enugu. He is a learned and responsible man who believes in the welfare of others, unlike Ehindero who was busy stealing the police fund to send his children to the US and acquiring choice properties. Are you even sure that Tafa's tenure wasn't better than Ehindero's?
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BigB11(m): 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2007
Mamajama has no point there, Adedibu was accused of LIKELY BREACH OF PUBLIC PEACE IN ABUJA, IBADAN, PORT HARCOURT and some other cities in Nigeria, so any court within these places has the jurisdiction to hear the case. The offence is a bailable one, so I can't understand what he meant by throwing the case away. The most important thing is that some one has set the stone rolling, it really required guts to discredit Adedibu's words let alone charging him to court.

Mamajama must understand that Okiro was not responsible for Ehindero's plight, telling us that he has a pix of Okiro sitting is his balcony as a way to support his assertion that he knows Okiro, is at best shallow and at worst irresponsible.

@Mamajama,
I have come to understand that you have a soft spot for Ehindero, pray tell me, how did Sunday Gabriel Ehindero get the money with which he initially bought the IG's official residence in the Maitama area of Abuja? You and I know that his entire life savings can never buy such a house.

Changing a slogan does not mean believing in what it represents. Where was the integrity in the NPF during Ehindero's inglorious reign? How much was the salary of a police ASP during his tenure? If you call IBB names, then know it for sure that Ehindero must not be spared also.

Okiro is loved by the ranks and file of the NPF. I know that Okiro will do better that Ehindero (that is if Ehindero did any positive thing at all). I have known Sir Okiro right from when he was a DPO in Enugu. He is a learned and responsible man who believes in the welfare of others, unlike Ehindero who was busy stealing the police fund to send his children to the US and acquiring choice properties. Are you even sure that Tafa's tenure wasn't better than Ehindero's?

Absolutely accurate!

To add to your statement: The Ehindero I knew just 10 years ago couldn't even afford to re-paint his house in Ondo State. I have the picture of this house 10 years ago.
One day and very soon he will be asked to document the strategy he used to accumulate all these houses within a very short period.

Fact: The man knew nothing about business till just few years ago. "A police business man" this is his nick name in Abuja.
In fact a dedicated IG should never be involved in any side attractions (businesses) during his era as the IG; and I'm sure that this will be addressed when the time is right.
I also heard that there are numbers of allegation of shady business surrounding the new police uniform, which he implemented before he left as the IG.
He wrote couple of books, but the profit from the book deal is not even close to what this man has stolen from Nigeria.

Something tells me that Ehindero's time is not too far.
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BigB11(m): 2:57pm On Nov 21, 2007
Make no mistake about it, Okiro is a true leader.

This position wasn't a gift to him (unlike other IGs); he worked very hard to attain the position and I'm sure that he will not disappoint Nigerians.
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BigB11(m): 9:24pm On Nov 21, 2007
Where is Ehindero?
He needs to come and congratulate Okiro, may be he will learn one or two things about leadership and effectiveness.
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BigB11(m): 4:05pm On Nov 25, 2007
The promise of Okiro’s Police

The recent confirmation of the appointment of Mr. Mike Okiro as Inspector General of Police (IGP) by the National Council of State (NCS) expressly affirms the confidence the Council has in his ability to tackle the nation’s daunting security challenges.

The confirmation, which came at the first meeting of the Council under the Yar’Adua administration, places the IGP on a better pedestal to address the nation’s troubling security problems. It is effective from June 1, 2007, the date he took over from former IGP, Sunday Ehindero.

The Council meeting, which had all former heads of state, with the exception of Generals Muhammadu Buhari and Yakubu Gowon, in attendance, also demonstrated concern over the problem of security in the nation with a mandate to President Yar’Adua to go back to the records of two committees which x-rayed welfare problems of the police and the equipping of the armed services, for the way forward.

We welcome the confirmation of Okiro as substantive IGP and congratulate him on the confidence reposed in him by the NCS. This confirmation is an indication of the nation’s appreciation of his efforts so far in improving the performance of the police in the enormous task of securing lives and property in the country.

Now that his appointment has been confirmed, we expect him to re-dedicate himself to dealing with the increasing security challenges in the country. The increasing wave of armed robbery and other criminal activities in the country, call for new and more effective tactics in breaking the stranglehold of the underworld on our country.

Now is the time for the IGP to expound and translate his vision for a stronger and more effective police force into reality. We expect, from him, a different and better-motivated police that will go beyond sloganeering to make a positive impact on the security situation in the country.

Although the IGP has kept the nation apprised of his efforts in bringing armed robbers to justice in recent times, there is the need for the force to also work on crime prevention. The detective mechanism of the police needs to be overhauled so that there can be a significant decrease in the number of crimes recorded.

Since the security of the citizenry is the primary reason for the existence of governments, any government that fails in this responsibility can be adjudged to have failed, abysmally. We therefore enjoin Okiro to do all that is within his power to reduce the security problem in the nation.
While we commend the Council of State for the prompt attention to the insecurity in the country at its first meeting under the present dispensation, we consider it imperative for the government to effectively equip the police with all modern gadgets necessary for policing. The force should be sufficiently armed, and supplied with vehicles and communication equipment necessary to do a good job.

The nation should not expect Okiro to perform magic with a force that is ill equipped for the task that has been placed before it. He should be empowered to re-organise the force for better performance. Officers and men of the force should be effectively motivated through higher salaries and greater attention to their welfare. They need to be trained for modern policing to enhance their performance. They also need to be taught new respect for due process and the rule of law in the spirit of the present dispensation.

As Okiro consolidates his leadership of the force as substantive IGP, we urge him to eschew the paths trodden by our recent past IGPs, whose exit from office were mired in scandals. He should seek to tread the path of honour, nobility and transparency and put the Nigeria Police on a better pedestal so that at end of the day, he will leave a legacy of good performance and be widely acknowledged as having done well in the task set before him.

Since Okiro has a track record of enviable performance, we believe that President Yar’Adua and the NCS made a good choice in him. There is promise in the air that better days are ahead with Okiro as the head of the Nigeria Police.

http://www.ngex.com/cgi-bin/frame/frameit2.plx?link=%22http://www.sunnewsonline.com/%22
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BigB11(m): 4:11pm On Nov 25, 2007
I'm glad that the man did not only promise new uniform to cover up shady businesses and dirty image.

I think in a very short period, Nigerian Police dept will be polished up and everyone of us will be proud to reclaim this department.

Leadership is not just for everyone!
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by Afam(m): 5:10pm On Nov 25, 2007
iykrion:

So, being accused of likely breach of public peace in Abuja, Ibadan, PH and some other cities in Nigeria is now a big deal. Was this why everybody has been calling for his arrest?

I thought many were interested in his being arrested for causing trouble in Oyo State. We are certainly not serious in this country.

All it takes is for a good lawyer to make a case that any of the charges don't make sense and the whole charges will be thrown out of the "courtroom window".

What exactly is likely breach of public peace? So this is all the police could come up with?
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by iykrion(m): 7:42pm On Nov 25, 2007
Afam:

So, being accused of likely breach of public peace in Abuja, Ibadan, PH and some other cities in Nigeria is now a big deal. Was this why everybody has been calling for his arrest?

I thought many were interested in his being arrested for causing trouble in Oyo State. We are certainly not serious in this country.

All it takes is for a good lawyer to make a case that any of the charges don't make sense and the whole charges will be thrown out of the "courtroom window".

What exactly is likely breach of public peace? So this is all the police could come up with?

That was the charge that the police brought against him. The police prosecutor said that they got a security report to that effect, and therefore want the court to extract a promise under oath from Adedibu, that he will be of good behaviour while the investigations lasted.

I believe that this will creat an avenue for further prosecution.
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by funloving(m): 7:49pm On Nov 25, 2007
I was enjoying the public "rofo-rofo" between Mamjama and his arch rival, Big B1 before you guys interrupted the show angry

Please Mamajama and Big B1 resume round Two.This is one fight I plan to watch to the end.

Where is my bag of pop-corn and bottle of soda. This can only get more interesting cheesy
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BlackMamba(m): 9:57pm On Nov 26, 2007
IGP can't do shit if the presidency don't approve. So, I'm still watching Yaradua. He still hasn't told me why Onovo was no good as IGP after he was initially recommended.
Re: Okiro Is Confirmed As The New Ig by BigB11(m): 2:44pm On Nov 27, 2007
Britain to reorganise Nigeria police

THE Minister of Interior, General Godwin Abbe, said on Monday that the British government had promised to help reorganise the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) to make it more efficient.

Briefing State House reporters after a meeting of officials of Interior Ministry with President Umaru Yar’Adua, Gen. Abbe said they were at the Presidential Villa to discuss with the president over internal security of the country.

He disclosed that a committee of senior retired police officers would be constituted to advise on how to ensure effective internal security in the country.

“We were privileged to secure this period to join Mr. President to have an overview of the general security situation in our country. Every aspect possible as far as internal security is concern was looked at and at the end of the day, we had a very useful meeting with the President.

“We have it on authority that the British government is ready to support us in reorganising the Nigerian Police Force and empowering it to be able to carry out its assigned role of ensuring law and order,” he said.

“We also have instructions to put together a high-powered a committee comprising a experienced senior Nigerians who have distinguish themselves in service of this country in the Police Force to come together to look at the past and join us to looking at the future. And this committee is also going to look at the white paper, which was approved by government and assist in the implementation of the content as quickly as possible.

“Other far reaching decisions including the issue of the misuse and abuse of the police elements, where you have a number of people not qualified to have armed security, they have guards, they have mobile policemen following them and some of them are known criminals in the society.”

On the details of the British support, he said, “it is not going to be sole administrator as it were. The IG is the most senior commander and the boss of the Police Force and there will be no change as far as that is concerned. But the issue of the reorganisation of the police force and the British involvement came up when Mr. President had a discussion with the British Prime Minister during his last visit to the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM), in Uganda.

“In the course of their discussion, the British Prime Minister requested Mr. President for what assistance Nigerian government will like the British government to assist and Mr. President told him that he would appreciate any support the British government can give us in the matter of improving the security services of this country.

“So against that background Mr. President is looking at the police force as the point element in the security services and that of course is giving room to this committee that is being set up to look at areas where we seriously need external help.”

http://www.ngex.com/cgi-bin/frame/frameit2.plx?link="http://www.tribune.com.ng"

(1) (Reply)

Eze Nd'igbo Is Hausa Culture. / American Jailed For 24 Years / Zoning Dead In PDP– Nwodo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.