Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,254 members, 7,807,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? (27295 Views)

Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? / Why Do Yoruba Guys Marry Igbo Girls? / Igbo Girls . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Go Down)

Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by mimifonwon(f): 8:20pm On May 30, 2012
I have been using this naira land as a source in how tribalistic we as a nation are, and though we intermarry, the ideology of one culture or tribe supremacy over the other is heavily appearant whether we show it or not. Do we fault our parents or our society. I know i grew up in a mixed tribe family where we were taught we should respect everyones culture, but without knowing it, there have been instances my father have been bias and sometimes outright tribalistic towards my mother and she also to him. It doesnt mean he doesnt love her, but in a way i think my siblings and i picked it up. My brothers mostly identify with being yoruba, but my sisters and i who were closer to my maternal cousins identify with both, and sometimes more with igbo. So if this can happen in a family with two educated parents who love and adore eachother, what is to say its not worst in a single tribe family. Coming to this forum have opened my eyes to the hate( whether joking or not) that we have for eachother's tribe. I used to believe that our generation would have nurse and hopefully heal the wounds of the past that our parents kept open, but i now see that the majority of us keep picking at the wounds and letting decay even faster than it should. I went on a date with a yoruba boy from ghana who parents are from ekiti. When I introduced myself i just said you can call me funmi. And we were cool, till we got to talking and we became more interested in eachother. Fastforward 3 months later, my mom told me to invite him to dinner cause she wanted to meet him. When he met my mom, first thing he said was-is your mom igbo or mixed, i was like, she is igbo and the guy then turned to me and says so that means you are half igbo. So i answer this fool yes. He starts laughing saying " why this again, what is with me and igbo girls." I was confused and i asked him what he meant and he said he mostly find himself attracted to igbo girls, but i told him i was half, not full, but he said his parents will not see it that way, that i act like a typical igbo girl. I didnt know whether to be affronted or accepting of the compliment. So he tells me that his parents disowned his middle brother because he refused to marry the yoruba girl they found for him, but rather fell for an igbo gal, and without his parents blessings asked his uncles in the uk to follow him to marry the girl. Its been 5 years now and his parents are yet to forgive or concede. So after his explanation that he doesnt want to lose his inheritance like his brother did, that when i meet his parents that i have to lie and say am full yoruba. I said lai lai, that one no go happen. So i dumped his tribalistic butt. emi omo nkechi, omo igbo ati omo ijebu,A kì í gbọ́n tó Báyìí-ni-ngó-ṣe-ǹkan-àn-mi - never, oluwafunmilayo chinazaekpere ade***, thats my name, and if any man doesnt like it, go to river niger and drown ya selves, and if you need help ill help finish ya stupid life for you. I told this story to show how tribalistic he was being, though he claimed his parents were the ones that were. Why should my tribal heritage matter. I know the yoruba culture, speak the language, know my village and respect my family's honor. It made me wonder whether tribalism is metastasizing even more than when my parents were young.And Is it true that Yoruba men marry more igbo girls, that igbos marrying yoruba girls?.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by ezotik: 8:57pm On May 30, 2012
this story sounds very nollywoodish, a home video directed by oduwa imasuen

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by anonymous6(f): 9:07pm On May 30, 2012
mimifonwon: I have been using this naira land as a source in how tribalistic we as a nation are, and though we intermarry, the ideology of one culture or tribe supremacy over the other is heavily appearant whether we show it or not. Do we fault our parents or our society. I know i grew up in a mixed tribe family where we were taught we should respect everyones culture, but without knowing it, there have been instances my father have been bias and sometimes outright tribalistic towards my mother and she also to him. It doesnt mean he doesnt love her, but in a way i think my siblings and i picked it up. My brothers mostly identify with being yoruba, but my sisters and i who were closer to my maternal cousins identify with both, and sometimes more with igbo. So if this can happen in a family with two educated parents who love and adore eachother, what is to say its not worst in a single tribe family. Coming to this forum have opened my eyes to the hate( whether joking or not) that we have for eachother's tribe. I used to believe that our generation would have nurse and hopefully heal the wounds of the past that our parents kept open, but i now see that the majority of us keep picking at the wounds and letting decay even faster than it should. I went on a date with a yoruba boy from ghana who parents are from ekiti. When I introduced myself i just said you can call me funmi. And we were cool, till we got to talking and we became more interested in eachother. Fastforward 3 months later, my mom told me to invite him to dinner cause she wanted to meet him. When he met my mom, first thing he said was-is your mom igbo or mixed, i was like, she is igbo and the guy then turned to me and says so that means you are half igbo. So i answer this fool yes. He starts laughing saying " why this again, what is with me and igbo girls." I was confused and i asked him what he meant and he said he mostly find himself attracted to igbo girls, but i told him i was half, not full, but he said his parents will not see it that way, that i act like a typical igbo girl. I didnt know whether to be affronted or accepting of the compliment. So he tells me that his parents disowned his middle brother because he refused to marry the yoruba girl they found for him, but rather fell for an igbo gal, and without his parents blessings asked his uncles in the uk to follow him to marry the girl. Its been 5 years now and his parents are yet to forgive or concede. So after his explanation that he doesnt want to lose his inheritance like his brother did, that when i meet his parents that i have to lie and say am full yoruba. I said lai lai, that one no go happen. So i dumped his tribalistic butt. emi omo nkechi, omo igbo ati omo ijebu,A kì í gbọ́n tó Báyìí-ni-ngó-ṣe-ǹkan-àn-mi - never, oluwafunmilayo chinazaekpere adebisi, thats my name, and if any man doesnt like it, go to river niger and drown ya selves, and if you need help ill help finish ya stupid life for you. I told this story to show how tribalistic he was being, though he claimed his parents were the ones that were. Why should my tribal heritage matter. I know the yoruba culture, speak the language, know my village and respect my family's honor. It made me wonder whether tribalism is metastasizing even more than when my parents were young.And Is it true that Yoruba men marry more igbo girls, that igbos marrying yoruba girls?.

I can tell you are not tribalistic but your thread will be the breading ground for a tribal thread just to warn you. First of all majority of Yoruba men marry yoruba females but a significant amount are marrying igbo girls but it is not vice versa when it comes Yoruba females. Yoruba females and igbo men majority of time don't click(although I have witnessed two couples of that demographic), if a Yoruba female marrys out it would most likely be hausa if she is muslim or edo. I have noticed eastern Nigerian tribes easily marry amongst each other easily, plus their are always other tribes to marry into it is not by force for you to marry yoruba but my question for you is why does it concern you why it is not vice versa with Yoruba females?

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by mimifonwon(f): 9:10pm On May 30, 2012
ezotik: this story sounds very nollywoodish, a home video directed by oduwa imasuen

If you dont know by now, most nollywood movies are based on true stories, and it aint nollywood its real.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by mimifonwon(f): 9:22pm On May 30, 2012
anonymous6:

I can tell you are not tribalistic but your thread will be the breading ground for a tribal thread just to warn you. First of all majority of Yoruba men marry yoruba females but a significant amount are marrying igbo girls but it is not vice versa when it comes Yoruba females. Yoruba females and igbo men majority of time don't click(although I have witnessed two couples of that demographic), if a Yoruba female marrys out it would most likely be hausa if she is muslim or edo. I have noticed eastern Nigerian tribes easily marry amongst each other easily, plus their are always other tribes to marry into it is not by force for you to marry yoruba but my question for you is why does it concern you why it is not vice versa with Yoruba females?

well i just have seen more of the igbo woman, yoruba man pairing than yoruba woman, igbo man pairing, not to say it doesnt happen. also I was just curious. I felt considering you NLrs like to bring everything down to igbo vs yoruba, i wanted to open up a discussion, so i can learn why the data is more skewed to more igbo women marrying yoruba men than yoruba women marrying igbo men( which does happen).

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by anonymous6(f): 9:43pm On May 30, 2012
mimifonwon:

well i just have seen more of the igbo woman, yoruba man pairing than yoruba woman, igbo man pairing, not to say it doesnt happen. also I was just curious. I felt considering you NLrs like to bring everything down to igbo vs yoruba, i wanted to open up a discussion, so i can learn why the data is more skewed to more igbo women marrying yoruba men than yoruba women marrying igbo men( which does happen).

I think because most nigerians don't care that why there is no clear cut data on that, if a nigerian will get paid for it then maybe you will see it full swing but besides that you may never really see a clear cut one. Why does it bother you though?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by SailorXY: 10:44pm On May 30, 2012
... and may i add that u dont look bad for an ijebu-igbo cheesy wink grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by aljharem(m): 10:44pm On May 30, 2012
The story is quite strange. Where I am from we marry regardless of ethnicity or race. There might be some yoruba and even igbo families holding on to this believes that if there son does not marry from their ethnic group, it would not work out.

Answer to your question, Anonymous has given you an accurate answer smiley

Yoruba women and Igbo men don't click that much although once they click it is indeed a love story grin grin grin

The reason is still unknown at least by majority of us but Yoruba men and Igbo Women are like bread and butter, they compliment each other. Although I must say Yoruba men tend to marry anyone so long as it is a woman.

I am sorry about your boyfriend, he is probably one of those living in the dark ages.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:13pm On May 30, 2012
anonymous6:

If you are Igbo and can speak Yoruba fluently the girl and her parents will accept you in a heart beat and I am speaking from core experiences!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by aljharem(m): 11:30pm On May 30, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

If you are Igbo and can speak Yoruba fluently the girl and her parents will accept you in a heart beat and I am speaking from core experiences!!

Same occur with English parents, Igbo parents even Chinese so what make the yoruba one your point of interest ?

Remember I speak Igbo to an "Ok" standard as well .

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by aljharem(m): 11:46pm On May 30, 2012
Imagine going to an English parent and speaking French or Igbo as a form of introduction that is how Nigerians think I times.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by anonymous6(f): 12:11am On May 31, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

not necessarily but I am not disputing what you are saying though
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by tpia5: 3:17am On May 31, 2012
Why should my tribal heritage matter. I know the yoruba culture, speak the language, know my village and respect my family's honor.

and does that change the fact that you're half igbo?

while i dont necessarily support your ex boyfriend's attitude towards your background, why didnt you tell him beforehand that your mum is igbo? You dated for 3 months and he still didnt know?

If you're dating a yoruba person, that should be one of the first things you tell him, imo. Otherwise they'll be wondering why you dont act like an average yoruba.

as per the rest of your post and the thread title: its been hashed and rehashed many times over.

use the search function.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:38am On Jun 01, 2012
alj harem:

Same occur with English parents, Igbo parents even Chinese so what make the yoruba one your point of interest ?

Remember I speak Igbo to an "Ok" standard as well .

The 99% of the Yoruba guys that married Igbo women dont know how to say "come" in Igbo language yet these Igbo parents still give their daughters to the Yoruba guys,now flip the script and the parents will insult you for not understanding their language! !! I know Yorubas very well because I lived among them and speak their language. Yorubas are very tribalistic and only those who doesnt understand their language but lived among them can say this because they will treat you differently. Most Igbos are indifferent about whether you speak their language or not. You ppl as a tribe has problems!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:53am On Jun 01, 2012
Growing up in lagos i have three friends and we are all Igbos and cool looking and the chics loved us regardless of tribe and we all understand and spoke Yoruba language very well; Myself didnt speak yoruba so often and most of the yorubas didnt know I understand them cause am not always speaking it and they discriminated against me and cursed at me cause I didnt speak in their tongue and my friends will always laugh at them for their ignorance of my knowledge of their language. Most southeast Igbos in lagos understands the yorubas but will always act ignorant of it and thats when you know they have claws. If Igbos allow you to marry their daughter its because they see the good in you and respect you not just because you can speak Igbo fluently!!!!! Yorubas are very tribalistic and you cant debate this with me without getting exposed more!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by VOfficialR(m): 7:14am On Jun 02, 2012
Hmm... cool thread!!!
Lemme say, from my point of view... Meine mutti ist aus central Nigeria und vati, a typical yoruba man. No big deal at home, although, as the OP had said-, tribalistic shits happen at home sometimes but non of them has in any way preached to me against any relationship with the easterners.... not until my paternal grandfather and some of my dad's friends sat me down(as the first child and only son). They told me specifically not to ever get married to an igbo woman. I asked several questions to know why it became as serious as they tagged it--,, all they had to say had a common tag "mo gbó (i heard) or wón so mí (they said)". I personally believe that despite the fact that we have our differences, history had its cut against the relationship some igbos (or "tagged" igbos) had had with foreigners. like boiling them alive or sacrificing of any sort.... them say, them say

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by mimifonwon(f): 4:26pm On Jun 02, 2012
tpia@:

and does that change the fact that you're half igbo?

while i dont necessarily support your ex boyfriend's attitude towards your background, why didnt you tell him beforehand that your mum is igbo? You dated for 3 months and he still didnt know?

If you're dating a yoruba person, that should be one of the first things you tell him, imo. Otherwise they'll be wondering why you dont act like an average yoruba.

as per the rest of your post and the thread title: its been hashed and rehashed many times over.

use the search function.

First of all when we met i spoke yoruba, and so did he, so he just assumed i was full. He grew up in ghana and rarely visits nigeria, so when i told him my dad is from ogun state and my mom abia state, I thought he got the point that i was of mixed tribe. He never asked me anything more about my background. So i was a bit taken back when he met my mom and started making those statements. Yes in certain situations I reacted to things as he termed it like a "igbo girl," which i still dont understand by what he meant and dont care anymore. I didnt deceive him, and it is not my fault that he has more affinity towards igbo girls.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by mimifonwon(f): 4:34pm On Jun 02, 2012
V_Official®:
Hmm... cool thread!!!
Lemme say, from my point of view... Meine mutti ist aus central Nigeria und vati, a typical yoruba man. No big deal at home, although, as the OP had said-, tribalistic shits happen at home sometimes but non of them has in any way preached to me against any relationship with the easterners.... not until my paternal grandfather and some of my dad's friends sat me down(as the first child and only son). They told me specifically not to ever get married to an igbo woman. I asked several questions to know why it became as serious as they tagged it--,, all they had to say had a common tag "mo gbó (i heard) or wón so mí (they said)". I personally believe that despite the fact that we have our differences, history had its cut against the relationship some igbos (or "tagged" igbos) had had with foreigners. like boiling them alive or sacrificing of any sort.... them say, them say

Even though you meant well in your reply, if you read your own post, you will see that your bias and prejudice towards the tribe stated is not hidden. We all like to claim we tolerate and adore eachother, when the the enculturation bestowed on us as children have taken total control. Life is not fair and not all fingers are equal, but we must learn to appreciate, maybe even like eachother. You dont have to love everyone, but perchance by finding something out yourself, and not following hersays and myths then you can learn more about yourself and the people that you come in contact with.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by VOfficialR(m): 8:36pm On Jun 02, 2012
well... truely said!!! despite the fact that our environment has influences on how shapened our lives are (including our utterances and how we couple them into our individual lives), we are still who we are.
while i was still in Nigeria, i had an igbo girl i was seeing-: my parents didnt complain about it at all but... the friends (ext. family) n 'well-wishers' who are all yorubas have their reservations. considering whom my father is, i tried to satisfy both sides (balancing yoruba and my beloved igbo). I'm sure you know that when things come to this... one has to be reservatively smart in handling the situation as everything might bounce back on my mum(who is not a yoruba).
This puzzle you are trying to solve is a very clumsy one, putting in mind that most of these people's education levels are low.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by anonymous6(f): 9:35pm On Jun 02, 2012
V_Official®:
well... truely said!!! despite the fact that our environment has influences on how shapened our lives are (including our utterances and how we couple them into our individual lives), we are still who we are.
while i was still in Nigeria, i had an igbo girl i was seeing-: my parents didnt complain about it at all but... the friends (ext. family) n 'well-wishers' who are all yorubas have their reservations. considering whom my father is, i tried to satisfy both sides (balancing yoruba and my beloved igbo). I'm sure you know that when things come to this... one has to be reservatively smart in handling the situation as everything might bounce back on my mum[b](who is not a yoruba)[/b].
This puzzle you are trying to solve is a very clumsy one, putting in mind that most of these people's education levels are low.

If you are not full Yoruba, you shouldn't really subject yourself to that, especially since your mother is not Yoruba. Men go out with women most of the time like their mothers. Nollywood actors Desmond Elliot and Joseph Benjamin are both half yoruba/half igbo but are called igbo or treated as such; both have igbo mothers and yoruba fathers and both are with non-Yoruba women. Desmond Elliot is married to a ijaw women and Joseph Benjamin exclusively dates igbo women. You and the OP are immune into following the rule of marrying into a tribe, since both of you are mixed tribally.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by VOfficialR(m): 10:55pm On Jun 02, 2012
sounds cute n direct but, hmmm... stuffs like these get really wierd you know-?

well... i'm actually working on not caring 'bout people's opinion in my personal life again as the only people i'm acttracted to (nowadays) are those that believe and uphold my cause'. no matter what whoever is
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by tpia5: 4:22am On Jun 03, 2012
anonymous6:

If you are not full Yoruba, you shouldn't really subject yourself to that, especially since your mother is not Yoruba. Men go out with women most of the time like their mothers. Nollywood actors Desmond Elliot and Joseph Benjamin are both half yoruba/half igbo but are called igbo or treated as such; both have igbo mothers and yoruba fathers and both are with non-Yoruba women. Desmond Elliot is married to a ijaw women and Joseph Benjamin exclusively dates igbo women. You and the OP are immune into following the rule of marrying into a tribe, since both of you are mixed tribally.

but are you considering the children of such unions and how this will affect their identity later in life.

well, i guess settling in lagos is always an option sha.

quarter this and two tenths that doesnt really cut it with people unless you're in the midst of similar fellows- eg the US or somewhere.

just theorizing here.

as per the op- she's not even happy someone asked her out, she wants to start abusing the guy because he called her igbo after she threw him a shocker about her background. If she knows what people can face in the name of marrying half tribes or is it half and halfs, she'd think properly.

anyway, she's still young. lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by mimifonwon(f): 6:46am On Jun 03, 2012
tpia@:

but are you considering the children of such unions and how this will affect their identity later in life.

well, i guess settling in lagos is always an option sha.

quarter this and two tenths that doesnt really cut it with people unless you're in the midst of similar fellows- eg the US or somewhere.

just theorizing here.

as per the op- she's not even happy someone asked her out, she wants to start abusing the guy because he called her igbo after she threw him a shocker about her background. If she knows what people can face in the name of marrying half tribes or is it half and halfs, she'd think properly.

anyway, she's still young. lipsrsealed

Okay wow, dear tpia, i dont need to be happy that a man who insults my heritage wants me to lie about my identity and i dont need a man to define me. I am happy being single, and i rather marry a white man, before i subject myself to a tribalistic man in the name of culture. It is sad that women today feel they should be thankful that a man asked them out, as if they are doing them a favor. I dont need no man to ask me out, Its is a man's duty to chase a woman, and desire her regardless of her heritage. So Tpia @ 23 i am still growing but i bet i understand myself and identity better than you do yours, because only a lost and unfulfilled person will think they need another person to define them.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Afam4eva(m): 8:00am On Jun 03, 2012
anonymous6:
Desmond Elliot is married to a ijaw women and Joseph Benjamin exclusively dates igbo women. You and the OP are immune into following the rule of marrying into a tribe, since both of you are mixed tribally.
Desmond Elliot's wife is Calabar(Efik/Ibibio) and not Ijaw.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by VOfficialR(m): 8:22am On Jun 03, 2012
Oops! Rasicm is alive, even in Nigeria

@tpia...
despite the fact that the negative effects can be more conspicous, you still have to know that it has its advantage: versatality (even in people's background) is a very useful weapon. It gives people like us the ability to see two sides of a coin(s).
you see... i speak yoruba, my mum's tongue and a lil hausa. I now see its positive effects as i now speak German, French and a lil spanish inclusive. You see... VERSATALITY!!! It really helps 'if you are willing to let it'
so... everyone, how i wish you enjoy what i'm enjoying... smiley
lady: Sprechen sie Deutsche?
me: ja, meine Deutsche is sehr gut...
lady: wow that's great. hmm... can we hook up tonight..
me: hmm, imma be busy buh 2mao nite will be perfect.
lady: Ok, I'll come around.
me: Tchùs
lady: smiles*

Imagine that! Versatality comes in handy in different and every aspect of our daily interelationship. smiley
Wish for it, my friends.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Obiagu1(m): 10:58am On Jun 03, 2012
@ OP, the answer is right there in front of you. Look at Nairaland!
Imagine an Igbo man marrying someone like Desola, Ileke-Idi, etc. The simple answer is that Yoruba women are too bigoted compared to Igbo women.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Afam4eva(m): 11:06am On Jun 03, 2012
Obiagu1: @ OP, the answer is right there in front of you. Look at Nairaland!
Imagine an Igbo man marrying someone like Desola, Ileke-Idi, etc. The simple answer is that Yoruba women are too bigoted compared to Igbo women.

You have a point there. I'm yet to see an Igbo lady on nairaland that's bigoted not to talk of being as bad as the two ladies you listed.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by Obiagu1(m): 11:41am On Jun 03, 2012
mimifonwon:

Your story sounds a bit weird though; a Yoruba man complaining about your ethnicity when you are Yoruba paternally.
Also, I think you should have titled your thread: "Why don't Yoruba guys marry Igbo girls" based on your story except you want to know whether Igbo men are readily open to marry Yoruba girls.
Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by VOfficialR(m): 11:53am On Jun 03, 2012
Whom you are most attracted to reflects the biology of your brain as much as
the heat of your heart. And it may not have to do with us—it's all about the kids.
By Helen Fisher,

The most discussed traits of temperament are the "big five" personality factors:
openness to new experience, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness,
and neuroticism (or anxiety). These traits are stable across the life cycle; if you're
curious when young, you're likely to be curious when older. Twin studies, as well
as the universality and stability of these personality styles, point to a genetic
basis.
Since antiquity, poets, philosophers, and physicians have classified people into
four styles of temperament. Plato called them the Artist, the Guardian, the
Idealist, and the Rational. I theorize that these very broad basic styles of thinking
and behaving are biologic trait clusters linked with specific constellations of
genes, neurochemicals, and brain pathways, perhaps best described as genetic
profiles. I hypothesize that we unconsciously gravitate to individuals with a
somewhat different genetic profile—a strategy that evolved in tandem with
human pair-bonding to enable our forebears to produce genetic variety in their
young and raise infants with a wider array of parenting skills.

---------NOW..., WHERE WERE WE CONNECTED?-----------

Moremi in Yoruba history loved and seduced the
Igbo. While many were forced to change their confrontations and assimilated; marauders were expelled.
The Yoruba method of accommodation and assimilation to attract other ethnic groups squarely fall on their skills in traditional medicine, mathematical skill counting into thousands to millions, marks as
beauty on women and men bodies where they cannot be easily visible and of course in arts and carvingsthat others recognize as tattoo, ethnic marks to the distinguished.

---------NOW-------
I think our Chemistries are rebonding...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by tpia5: 1:02pm On Jun 03, 2012
mimifonwon:

First of all when we met i spoke yoruba, and so did he, so he just assumed i was full. He grew up in ghana and rarely visits nigeria, so when i told him my dad is from ogun state and my mom abia state, I thought he got the point that i was of mixed tribe. He never asked me anything more about my background. So i was a bit taken back when he met my mom and started making those statements. Yes in certain situations I reacted to things as he termed it like a "igbo girl," which i still dont understand by what he meant and dont care anymore. I didnt deceive him, and it is not my fault that he has more affinity towards igbo girls.
just seeing this. I guess what you had was a miscommunication then. If he grew up in ghana, he might not be familiar with nigeria's ethnic makeup by state. And he'd also pick up various kinds of biases even though igbos seem to think ghanaians like them.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by tpia5: 1:03pm On Jun 03, 2012
Obiagu1:

Your story sounds a bit weird though; a Yoruba man complaining about your ethnicity when you are Yoruba paternally.
Also, I think you should have titled your thread: "Why don't Yoruba guys marry Igbo girls" based on your story except you want to know whether Igbo men are readily open to marry Yoruba girls.
the yoruba man in question grew up in ghana and as such, is more of a ghanaian.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yoruba Guys Mostly Marry Igbo Girls Than Vice Versa? by tpia5: 1:04pm On Jun 03, 2012
Obiagu1: @ OP, the answer is right there in front of you. Look at Nairaland!

you dont even want to go there. Yoruba women will make a lot of noise while igbo women will finish you silently.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13)

African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) / Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture / Would You Marry An Osu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.