Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,943 members, 7,799,199 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? (4738 Views)

Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? / Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by Nobody: 9:47am On May 31, 2012
It really baffle me how my employers despises job seekers with 3rd class on their result, inspite of their great perfomance in the coursf of the interview. I discovered that the people with 3rd class sound more renaissance and classical compared to the people with 2nd class grades. I just can't fathom why most employers won't give them more chances. Your views pls.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by nnana4top: 10:12am On May 31, 2012
Though third class graduates might be good at work place. But remember grade is a yardstick for performance at school. So you dont expect am employer to leave a first class or second class graduate for a third class. Pls go get a post graduate degree or enrol for a professional course. This i believe will an edge
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by Nobody: 10:27am On May 31, 2012
It seems you need to re-read again, however, I discovered that, most of the guys with 2nd classes could not express themselves eloquently, this shows that either some of them bribed to get the result that they could'nt defend or just read to pass only. They did not allow the institution to pass through them, in order words their knowlegde is not diversified.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by smsgrouper: 10:32am On May 31, 2012
Some of dis 3rd class guys were busy developing business that might employ the 1st and 2nd guys.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by tanimola22: 11:16am On May 31, 2012
Wow, this is yet another ground breaking discovery similar to the one I commented on in the last page of the Finance/Economics thread. You guys are really discovering things that some of us would never have dreamed about. Although I know one third class engineering guy who beat people with higher grades to a job, including the best graduating student of his undergraduate class, I am not sure that I have come across a considerable number of 3rd class graduates who sound better than others with higher grades. I can only say kudos to your finding.

Meanwhile, the discovery is all yours. You take full credit for it, but can you enlighten us on how you came about it? My rough estimation shows that there are more than 100 thousand graduates with 2:1, 2:2 and 3rd class degrees in Nigeria. You can start the enlightenment from there.

T22

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by tanimola22: 11:25am On May 31, 2012
nnana4top: Though third class graduates might be good at work place. But remember grade is a yardstick for performance at school. So you dont expect am employer to leave a first class or second class graduate for a third class. Pls go get a post graduate degree or enrol for a professional course. This i believe will an edge

Yeah, in the workplace, some of them always want to prove a point along lines of 'I am better than you with all the grades you think you had'. This is not an unhealthy competition, but I think it should be done secretly. I would usually smile and allow such people shine if I came across them professionally. I let them shine and prove their point,at least to raise their professional value. That makes them feel real good, this is a discovery.

Ideally, a 3rd class degree is not the end of the world. After all, a sizable number of very successful people are third class degree holders. I am sure you all know them. They have shown that going to a university and making a third class is not a bad thing.

T22.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by yemmyma: 11:26am On May 31, 2012
tanimola22: Wow, this is yet another ground breaking discovery similar to the one I commented on in the last page of the Finance/Economics thread. You guys are really discovering things that some of us would never have dreamed about. Although I know one third class engineering guy who beat people with higher grades to a job, including the best graduating student of his undergraduate class, I am not sure that I have come across a considerable number of 3rd class graduates who sound better than others with higher grades. I can only say kudos to your finding.

Meanwhile, the discovery is all yours. You take full credit for it, but can you enlighten us on how you came about it? My rough estimation shows that there are more than 100 thousand graduates with 2:1, 2:2 and 3rd class degrees in Nigeria. You can start the enlightenment from there.

T22

Seriously, i saw this post and did not know what to say. It just reminded me of the Finance/Economics thread. There is something we all don't know about the degrees flying around in the country.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by tanimola22: 11:29am On May 31, 2012
smsgrouper: Some of dis 3rd class guys were busy developing business that might employ the 1st and 2nd guys.

That is true, and the converse is also true too. Some 1st, 2:1 and 2:2 guys are also busy researching and developing unusual ideas that would created jobs for everybody, including 3rd class and pass degree holders.

After all, I know some 1st, 2:1 and 2:2 guys who run their successful companies and are now employers of labor.

T22
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by zangiff(m): 11:43am On May 31, 2012
so far you have life,there is hope.nothing profits a dead man with 1st,2nd or third.than to have life.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by zangiff(m): 11:45am On May 31, 2012
ma uncle died at age 30last week with three kids,first class,big business in south africa.just pray u r alive

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by yamakuza: 12:15pm On May 31, 2012
Hmmn. Fresh faces.

#Benefits of NL2.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by AjanleKoko: 12:17pm On May 31, 2012
Third class grads shouldn't be allowed to graduate, in my view grin

But seriously now . . . OP, how come you graduated with a 3rd class? It's almost like you didn't go to school. If you could garner 5 credits (50%) at O'Levels, why could you not achieve 48-50% minimum at university, over four years?

You'd probably need to re-invent yourself. I know someone who graduated third class, but went back to school, eventually got a PhD, and is now a professor in Nigeria's top business school. It took time and a lot of courage but he did it.

Another way is for you to look for something else to do. You could learn a skill or a trade, or go into some sort of entrepreneurial activity. Then it would not really matter.

Just think and act on what options you can see for yourself.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by yemmyma: 12:25pm On May 31, 2012
AjanleKoko: Third class grads shouldn't be allowed to graduate, in my view grin

But seriously now . . . OP, how come you graduated with a 3rd class? It's almost like you didn't go to school. If you could garner 5 credits (50%) at O'Levels, why could you not achieve 48-50% minimum at university, over four years?

You'd probably need to re-invent yourself. I know someone who graduated third class, but went back to school, eventually got a PhD, and is now a professor in Nigeria's top business school. It took time and a lot of courage but he did it.

Another way is for you to look for something else to do. You could learn a skill or a trade, or go into some sort of entrepreneurial activity. Then it would not really matter.

Just think and act on what options you can see for yourself.

Actually, the Op is making a case of discrimination of third class holders at his work place. Not that the Op had a third class
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by AjanleKoko: 12:51pm On May 31, 2012
yemmy_ma:

Actually, the Op is making a case of discrimination of third class holders at his work place. Not that the Op had a third class

My bad then.

emmysenior: It really baffle me how my employers despises job seekers with 3rd class on their result, inspite of their great perfomance in the coursf of the interview. I discovered that the people with 3rd class sound more renaissance and classical compared to the people with 2nd class grades. I just can't fathom why most employers won't give them more chances. Your views pls.

LOL@ 'renaissance and classical' grin
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by nitrogen(m): 11:07pm On May 31, 2012
emmysenior: It really baffle me how my employers despises job seekers with 3rd class on their result, inspite of their great perfomance in the coursf of the interview. I discovered that the people with 3rd class sound more renaissance and classical compared to the people with 2nd class grades. I just can't fathom why most employers won't give them more chances. Your views pls.
I wish you come back and tell us how you arrived at that bolded, an inference based only on the preceding sentence or what? If there had not been the bolded stream of words in your post, it would have been okay.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by smsgrouper: 4:47am On Jun 01, 2012
tanimola22:

That is true, and the converse is also true too. Some 1st, 2:1 and 2:2 guys are also busy researching and developing unusual ideas that would created jobs for everybody, including 3rd class and pass degree holders.

After all, I know some 1st, 2:1 and 2:2 guys who run their successful companies and are now employers of labor.

T22

Check the list of rich men in d world. They are either drop out or students with low grades. Once you are out the university wit good grades. All in your head is to get a job in a big company
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by abouzaid: 5:41am On Jun 01, 2012
@op, 1) first we live in a certificate mad country, if we are to pursue ur line of reasoning, then most graduates won't get a job in nigeria cos they don't know shit about their field. All our final yr computer science students have their project written for them by non graduate computer professionals, an engineerins graduate once confessed he don't know the difference between a spanner and a screw driver. 2) most ppl that made 3 class in my class were non serious students though not all, in fact 90% of them are girls who were busy enjoying campus life till it was too late while the boys among were birds of the same feather 3) most ppl that scored 3 class are retards with out imagination or any touch with reality. How can somebody still remain in school when ur gpa is less than 2.5 after ur first or second yr? Some have gpa of less than 1 by the end of their first yr and they still remain in school gambling away their life and family resources. Personally, i think that giving ppl job based on their type of degree is a mistake and explains why most companies here don't last. Ppl should be employed based on their demonstratable skills and aptitudes. Some jobs require ppl with good social skills and i have noticed that most third class holders are activity men and women of the first order suited for those jobs

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by deleo16(m): 7:08am On Jun 01, 2012
if u have failed in school that doesnt mean u have failed in life move bro 3rd class or no 3rd class make the best out of it life at least i have brothers and uncle who didnt go to school and are doing well so how much more you? remeber in every situation God is saying something
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by abouzaid: 7:50am On Jun 01, 2012
@deleo16, u can't compare somebody that did not go to school at all to somebody that made 3rd class. Those that did not go to school or dropped out started hustling early in their life times while those that made 3rd class are academics failures by the time their finished youth service who are already behind those that did not go to school in life. Yes, they can make it in life with a little luck and connection but it is always very difficult starting life over at 30yrs
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by nitrogen(m): 7:56am On Jun 01, 2012
abouzaid: @deleo16, u can't compare somebody that did not go to school at all to somebody that made 3rd class. Those that did not go to school or dropped out started hustling early in their life times while those that made 3rd class are academics failures by the time their finished youth service who are already behind those that did not go to school in life. Yes, they can make it in life with a little luck and connection but it is always very difficult starting life over at 30yrs
Bros, easy now.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by abouzaid: 9:03am On Jun 01, 2012
@nitrogen, call a spade a spade not a farm tool, a 3rd class is not the end of the world but its true value must be told. True true, i de vex with 9ja academic and work place culture so forgive my outbursts.
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by deleo16(m): 10:28am On Jun 01, 2012
abouzaid: @deleo16, u can't compare somebody that did not go to school at all to somebody that made 3rd class. Those that did not go to school or dropped out started hustling early in their life times while those that made 3rd class are academics failures by the time their finished youth service who are already behind those that did not go to school in life. Yes, they can make it in life with a little luck and connection but it is always very difficult starting life over at 30yrs
True thats an academic failure for that moment it depends on the person u can do our postgraduate and then master thats why I always tell co student that even whatever grade always be business concious both the 2:1or 3rd class or 2.2this is nigeria cerfiticate driven economy .and to the issue of luck I don't believe in luck make time to correct our mistake every challenges or problem there is a solution I think the word for this person is hustling God can open the door in just a year
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by abouzaid: 11:45am On Jun 01, 2012
@deleo16, it's more difficult to do ur masters with a pgd than with a degree, even the most selective schools here will admit a degree holder with a gpa of 2.75 to 3.0 but will only take a pgd holder with 3.5. Though i do expect this to change with time. Most pgds have doubtfull value in the work environment except those that did it in education where it's a professional qualification. As for the element of luck, ppl do get lucky, for example, they are ppl do their youth services in places that pay very well or even retains them based on performance rather than initial qualifications. Some ppl have been sent abroad for training as youth coppers and retained regardless of initial qualifications. God works in mysterious ways but we too must be willing to suffer initially

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by yemmyma: 3:18pm On Jun 01, 2012
^

abouzaid: @deleo16, it's more difficult to do ur masters with a pgd than with a degree, even the most selective schools here will admit[b] a degree holder with a gpa of 2.75 to 3.0[/b] but will only take a pgd holder with 3.5. Though i do expect this to change with time. Most pgds have doubtfull value in the work environment except those that did it in education where it's a professional qualification. As for the element of luck, ppl do get lucky, for example, they are ppl do their youth services in places that pay very well or even retains them based on performance rather than initial qualifications. Some ppl have been sent abroad for training as youth coppers and retained regardless of initial qualifications. God works in mysterious ways but we too must be willing to suffer initially

where are you studying?
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by abouzaid: 4:24pm On Jun 01, 2012
Graduated from UNN, if ur interested in the bolded, then check out the postgraduate admission websites of most federal universities, especially UNN,UNIBADAN,UNIZIK etc
Re: Is There Any Hope For Graduates With 3rd Class? by deleo16(m): 3:46pm On Jun 02, 2012
[quote author=abouzaid]@deleo16, it's more difficult to do ur masters with a pgd than with a degree, even the most selective schools here will admit a degree holder with a gpa of 2.75 to 3.0 but will only take a pgd holder with 3.5. Though i do expect this to change with time. Most pgds have doubtfull value in the work environment except those that did it in education where it's a professional qualification. As for the element of luck, ppl do get lucky, for example, they are ppl do their youth services in
@abouaid stop predicting from your own point of view what matters it self development now from that person "most pgd people have doubtful value in the working place" what of second class that dont know where to sign after given a form i have seen some of them or is it the NNPC job test that both the first class and co failed.,what company now are looking for is what u can contribute that why they search for experience and our quality,idea and creativity .what our school does is that they dont prepare us for the job outside .and to the issue of pdg gp the 3rd class student knows he or she have a job to do after the mistake.

(1) (Reply)

Take Home Pay For Entry Level In Federal Colleges Of Education / Get A Paypal Account With NG IP That Can Send, Receive & Withdraw Money @N1,000 / How Strong Is Your Personal Brand- Are You A BMW, Honda, Or Kia?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.