Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,110 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:26 PM

If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? (11270 Views)

Raising Positive Kids In A Negative World / Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? / How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by abiamahart: 11:48pm On Jun 01, 2012
i changed my surname because it meant cricket in Ibo. it was not fun growing up with that name. When i asked the origin of the name nobody including my father knew how it came about. i observed that quietly some of my cousins were now bearing variants. i opted out completely and no regrets to date.
The change though affected my credentials, passport etc. it comes with its hassles as organizations want to be sure u are not usurping another person's identity been male. Easier for the ladies though.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by mimifonwon(f): 12:17am On Jun 02, 2012
PrettyCindy: I know two person who had to change their name; one was formally Maureen while the other was Endurance. In some cases people are told by their pastors to to change and even provide them with new names.
Those who bear Endurance or Patience are told that they will always encounter stumbling blocks to in their various endeavours, Maureen means darkness, Linda means snake and so on and the list continues........

My name means goddess of the sun, someone actually told me to change it or stop answering it but i didn't.
So what do you think about names with negative meaning. Did you ever change your name?

That is what you get, when you dont answer your traditional names. MTCHEWW, infact if you like change it to fool, i dont care. I blame your parents.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Otses(f): 5:02am On Jun 02, 2012
I have been told for a long time to change my name that it means snake. But one day, I took time out to really search for the meaning, and then, I came up with another one. PRETTY! So why in heavens name should I change that name for anything. And i'm both pretty in and out. Lately, when people tell me to change it, I educate them by telling them the meaning of my name. And I did keep that name as an honour to my late dad. Am happy with my name LINDA...

1 Like

Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Murphy7h4: 5:23am On Jun 02, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
sylve11:

no u don't have to change that name, i'd suggest go to the nearest zoo; seek permission from the zookeeper. walk straight to where lions are been kept, then look for one to ''Kolobi'' A.K.A ''Tighneck''. Exactly what Samson did in the Bible. cool
Good point
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Nobody: 5:57am On Jun 02, 2012
I believe names have a psychological effect on most people such that they tend to act out their names, so its not really a spiritual problem but if your name has a negative effect on you then it makes sense to change it. My sister used to be Yetunde and she hated it because it means the mother has come back. She made us start calling her by her middle name and funny enough I noticed that over the years she has changed, she used to behave like a granny before no fun and very old soul but she's a lot more carefree now.

My surname means life is good and I love it, I intend to turn it into a compound surname when I get married because I never want to lose that name. I find that at times when I am feeling gloomy and things aren't looking so good, as soon as someone calls my surname it lifts my spirit by reminding me that life is good.

1 Like

Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Nobody: 5:58am On Jun 02, 2012
^^^osisi, when did your sister become Yoruba?
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by ikee(m): 6:27am On Jun 02, 2012
Names Have great impact on the perfson bearing it, Even God have to Personally Changed the Name of abram to abraham, jacob to isreal and Jabez Have to cry to God for a change of Name. Read your bible well
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by PrettyCindy(f): 6:48am On Jun 02, 2012
sylve11:

no u don't have to change that name, i'd suggest go to the nearest zoo; seek permission from the zookeeper. walk straight to where lions are been kept, then look for one to ''Kolobi'' A.K.A ''Tighneck''. Exactly what Samson did in the Bible. cool

Lol. You are wicked ooo!

Am browsing with a phone so i couldn't check for the meaning of Samson but am sure it means something good and positive, besides its a cute name. I don't see any reason why you should change it.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by PrettyCindy(f): 7:43am On Jun 02, 2012
@ Mrmayor, thanks for clearing that up.

Biblically God personally changed the names of a few persons and their lives were changed for ever.

Some persons are lucky while some aren't. While i agree that the name one bears partly determines that persons luck in life, its not in all cases. Like someone pointed out earlier, there is someone else who bears Goodluck but is poor.

One thing i have observed is that people with names that have negative meaning are affected the most. I had a coursemate whose name is Spencer, well believe me when i say he did behave like Mr Spencer we all know in the TV.

If my name had a bad (real bad) meaning, i would have changed it long ago.
Come to think of it; mordern day parents don't name their children like our parents, grand and great grand parents did. My own maternal grandparents named all their daughters based on the situation and conditions that surrounded their birth. But these days you hear names like Praise, Honest, Miracle, I believe, Prayer (i have seen the children) etc etc.

My son was born exactly 9months after my grand dad died and he was a man we all loved with passion. I wanted to name him after my granddad but my grand dad's native name mearnt "looking", it didn't go down well with me so we opted for something better.

A name is something we are identified with & it is usually for a life time even till after death so i don't blame people who on realising their names mean something negative opt to change it. I wish i knew my late grand aunt whose name was Igbon-meaning slave, i would have asked her why she was named such and why she didn't change it. Beats me.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Cupidkc(m): 8:16am On Jun 02, 2012
As for me names doesnt have anything to do with your way of life. Or how successfull one is...i think is more of a "psychological thing". Once your mind is corrupt, then you're equally corrupt. If you belief that your name is bad, then you start experiencing bad things. And vice versa...
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by blackboi(m): 8:24am On Jun 02, 2012
Ignatio: My sister on discovering that her name Linda means snake, she immediately dropped it ( btw I don't see anything bad in the name snake). Anyone that called her the name met a harsh response. I would do the same if I have a bad name. Mine means son of fire and I like it.

have u asked a typical yoruba Muslim the meaning of ur name??undecided

gringrin
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Lisa1: 8:25am On Jun 02, 2012
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by blackboi(m): 8:32am On Jun 02, 2012
Well as for me I've got two supersonic positive names8)
1. Mercy of the Lordwink
2. The wise and wealthy king [of all times]cheesy

so u see, I have no business changing 'emcheesycheesy
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by joeyfire(m): 8:35am On Jun 02, 2012
I would change my names in a heartbeat if it had a negative meaning. We know that the tongue has power so why have hundreds of people calling me something negative. My names mean "nothing is impossible to God" and the other means "kindess pays"
. I'm cool with those two
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by ceej24: 8:37am On Jun 02, 2012
You are what you believe. I have a friend whose name is bishop but the guy is into music he raps maybe the parents or whoever gave him that name wanted/thought he will become a bishop. Many people must have changed their name and yet nothing has changed in their life. I believe praying can solve every problem when you find yourselve in a difficult situation you pray and stop looking for excuses.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Nobody: 9:08am On Jun 02, 2012
I'll Definitely Change it -- Not Used to Sticking to Bad Omen! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by osifred(m): 9:14am On Jun 02, 2012
Names are not just identity. They are integral part in our life. If in doubt ask Jezbel in the bible whose name meant sorrow.

If your name have negative meaning my advise is that you change it
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by warrior101: 9:51am On Jun 02, 2012
micklplus: Yeah. Would change it. Infact, I didn't just change my name, I changed my surname.

You are now officialy a lost sheep... U can not change ur family name
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Sattors(m): 10:04am On Jun 02, 2012
PrettyCindy: I wonder why our grand and great grand parents named their children that way. I want to believe they copied such actions from the bible because virtually all children that were born were named based on the situation that surrounded their birth.

Just yesterday my mum told me that i had a grand aunt (i never knew her) whose name was "Igbon" meaning a slave. Can you imagine?
One of my aunt's name means "my friends are not many" and believe me when i say this my aunt who lived with us before getting married never had and still doesn't have friends.

Na wa sha, i will never give my children horrible or funny names.
pretty cindy u are ishan by tribe?
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by damilola15: 10:23am On Jun 02, 2012
PrettyCindy: I wonder why our grand and great grand parents named their children that way. I want to believe they copied such actions from the bible because virtually all children that were born were named based on the situation that surrounded their birth.

Just yesterday my mum told me that i had a grand aunt (i never knew her) whose name was "Igbon" meaning a slave. Can you imagine?
One of my aunt's name means "my friends are not many" and believe me when i say this my aunt who lived with us before getting married never had and still doesn't have friends.

Na wa sha, i will never give my children horrible or funny names.
lmao
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by dukila: 10:44am On Jun 02, 2012
If it didn't matter then why was saul's name changed to paul? undecided just asking.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Reference(m): 10:55am On Jun 02, 2012
It all depends on the belief system you operate in. Simply put, if you believe it has an effect, it WILL have an effect negatively or positively respectively. If you don't operate a belief system it will have NO effect. Its like the famous 'why does black magic not cross international boundaries' or why do some fall easily for 419 and others do not. Simple. Those that fall believe what they hear or read is true.

So for serious Christians and Muslims who have strong belief systems, what things are called is an important aspect of their faith and everyday living.

Even in circular systems product naming is important in branding with a view to the captive market and companies spend millions seeking the right name for their products. There have been celebrated product failures on account of misnomers in the annals of marketing.

Once again it is the belief system. If a fizzy drink was named 'Agbo' does it change the taste, no. The top ten richest men and women in the world were probably not named gold and silver neither do I think Adolf Hitler means mass murderer in german.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by expert1(m): 11:16am On Jun 02, 2012
Not only if it negative. Sometimes sensibility warrants change of name. My parents calls me Sunday simply because I was born on Sunday whereas the name is not on my Birth certificate. I have to sworn an oath for a new north certificate when I gained admission.

However, GEJ need to revert MAULAG to UNILAG.

=)) =)) MIOLEº°˚ ˚°º≈RERINº°˚ ˚°º≈OOOOº°˚ ˚°º≈ORI IYA .MI OO º°˚ ˚°º≈OOOOº°˚ ˚°º≈=)) =))
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by damilola15: 11:26am On Jun 02, 2012
mimifonwon:

That is what you get, when you dont answer your traditional names. MTCHEWW, infact if you like change it to fool, i dont care. I blame your parents.
Some traditional names do have negative connotation.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by realsammie(m): 12:54pm On Jun 02, 2012
sylve11:

but guy atleast be serious..y the insult?
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Ohbeedee: 12:56pm On Jun 02, 2012
My dad gave me my middle name based on the situation with my mum's family at that time (they were having some issues). I bore that name for so long until my mum added some words that gave d name a beautiful meaning.
I bear only one name anyways..all documents are just my Islamic name n surname no middle names!
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by realsammie(m): 1:02pm On Jun 02, 2012
PrettyCindy:

Lol. You are wicked ooo!

Am browsing with a phone so i couldn't check for the meaning of Samson but am sure it means something good and positive, besides its a cute name. I don't see any reason why you should change it.
i'm just curious because of the sad ending of samson in the bible..anyway tanx alot
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by PrettyCindy(f): 1:25pm On Jun 02, 2012
Sattors: pretty cindy u are ishan by tribe?

No. Only had my University education in Ekpoma.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by chasy16(f): 2:24pm On Jun 02, 2012
sylve11:

OMG! LMAO! omoby go and do comedy. lol! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by thorpido(m): 3:17pm On Jun 02, 2012
My surname means born by a god.I av spoken 2 my family about changing it but they feel otherwise.I dnt think it's right but I know i might face persecution if I go ahead 2 bear a new one alone.I dnt know why our forebears were just so blind and dark minded.
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by mrmayor(m): 4:54pm On Jun 02, 2012
Nigerians and parochial mindset. shocked

How would these names affect your child

BILL GATES: Your Son would spend the rest of his Life paying Bills and opening Gates.

George Bush: Your Son would be Cutting Bush all his life till he is delivered by a few Oyedepo Slaps grin

Steve Jobs: None sense name, your son can oly do Jobs and not have a career or a business man.

Margaret Thatcher: Tufiakwa, what a name! Your daughter would be Thatching Roofs all her life
Re: If Your Name Have A Negative Meaning, Will You Change It? by Faithnn: 5:43pm On Jun 02, 2012
Name is personal Identification, nothing more.Whatever name u answer does not really matter,What matters most is ur trainning,family upbringing,background and morale behaviour.People bear such names as Peter,Christain, John,David, Elija, Moses etc, but are rogues, armed robbers and dupers.They never behave like the names the answer.Others bear Mary,Christianah,pretty,Goodness etc, but are prostitutes,harlots, home breakers, living dirty life.Other answer such names as Rich,Great,but are actually poor.So dont attribute your failure or success to the name u answer,just develope ursef in a good way there u make it.In western world, people bear such names as Fish,Stone,Snake, even Tree, nothwistanding they are there making it because of their economy and brought up not name.So if u choose to change ur name that does not authomatically put crown on ur head.Cheers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

There's This Room In My House That Makes My Skin Crawl, What Could Be The Cause? / #sharingmagicmemories – Meet The Judges For The Cussons Baby Moments Season 6! / What Is The Best Gift To Give To Your Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.