Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:47 PM

Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop - Travel (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop (98475 Views)

Derailed Train At Iju Station Today (photo) / Crashed Dana Airplane's Manifest / Pictures Of The Crashed Dana Airplane At Iju (agege) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by othenok(f): 3:52am On Jun 04, 2012
Pls heard Ebuka of Big Brother was on that flight. How true is it?

I know God would show us mercy.
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by tigerleggs(m): 4:19am On Jun 04, 2012
Bawss1:

What math? Your figures are off, 3,500 ft or 30,000 ft (which is the norm for such flights)

Anyways tragedies happen and they are not always as a result of enemy action. Suggesting that this is a work of terror at this point is unwise. Let's wait till all the facts are available.
Sounds like my Charlie Tango. Are you?
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by benspeakout: 5:34am On Jun 04, 2012
The ill-fated Dana plane had been under repair for several weeks and the airline's station manager protested its use but the indian management insisted that it should fly. The German stations are reporting that the plane which just crashed should never have taken off because of its write off state and that they are even wondering how the plane made it to lagos.
Please keep shouting until it gets to the Nigerian Minister of Aviation.

1 Like

Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by Nobody: 5:59am On Jun 04, 2012
Best23456: Get connected to rich and sexy sugar mummies anywhere in Nigeria.
please ban this person for posting this in such a sensitive post at such a sensitive time. Pleeasse.

3 Likes

Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by ajadek(m): 6:01am On Jun 04, 2012
Another tragedy,hope is not a terrorism
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by justwise(m): 6:12am On Jun 04, 2012
virtuoso01: please ban this person for posting this in such a sensitive post at such a sensitive time. Pleeasse.

Trust me he will never post with that ID in this section ever again.
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by water4qb: 7:03am On Jun 04, 2012
@ the plane crash venue now ... Up to 4 houses affected including a church...
Evacuation going on ...i hope its on tv
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by Biggyd2: 7:10am On Jun 04, 2012
justwise:
Trust me he will never post with that ID in this section ever again.

Thanks
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by freecocoa(f): 7:22am On Jun 04, 2012
water4qb: @ the plane crash venue now ... Up to 4 houses affected including a church...
Evacuation going on ...i hope its on tv
Where is power supply to even watch the TV with sef? Everything is wrong with this country.
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by jonc20: 7:41am On Jun 04, 2012
Please any eye witness account of how the plane went down?
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by joudini(m): 7:53am On Jun 04, 2012
jonc20: Please any eye witness account of how the plane went down?

A man interviewed on Superscreen TV said the plane was looking for where to land.
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by olanshi: 7:55am On Jun 04, 2012
Nigerian government has failed us as awhole, believe me NOTHING good is working @ the present moment in the country.. No light to even watch the news, No water, No good roads, to me this country is not organized... We are ruled by bunch of rogues and thugs that knows the best way to embezzle hard earn money of the citizens and tax payers!

I feel the grief of the bereaved family, only God can console them..

And for my fellow Nigerians, until we know exactly what we want from our country Nigeria... Pls have it in my mind that our heros past has laboured in vein and so many people also died June 3rd, 2012 due to negligence of Nigerian government! So it is now left for you and I to make a concrete decision as to where we want this country Nigeria to head toward...

A word is enough for the wise!

May the soul of the lost ones rest in peace (amen)...

2 Likes

Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by Nobody: 8:03am On Jun 04, 2012
cold: Beautiful hostesses all gone.Really,really sad cry

Stop that joke...I know faith...she is my ex girlfriend....in that pic...pls..stop that joke, please...
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by Nobody: 8:13am On Jun 04, 2012
cold: Beautiful hostesses all gone.Really,really sad cry

Dude, u are a fool. The people in that picture are ground staff
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by Biggyd2: 8:29am On Jun 04, 2012
R.I.P

Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by joudini(m): 8:30am On Jun 04, 2012
The probability of being struck dead by lightning is 1 in 2million. The probability of being killed by a falling plane is 1 in 10million!

These pedestrians could never had imagined they would die in a plane crash!

1 Like

Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by benspeakout: 8:54am On Jun 04, 2012
The ill-fated Dana plane was said to had been under repair for several weeks and the airline's station manager protested its use but the Indian management insisted that it should fly. The German stations are reporting that the plane which crashed should never have taken off because of its write off state and that they are even wondering how the plane made it to Lagos.

From Dana's website, the plane was said to be a "Boeing MD-83". Well, Boeing and MacDonald/Douglas have corroborated from time to time, but according to Wikipedia, no such plane exists. That's really not important. Actually it's not really built by Boeing. It was designed and built by McDonald Douglas and later the company was bought by Boeing.
These airplanes are no longer manufactured and the Chinese have built many of these airplanes on their own. You have to look at how the airplane was maintained and how proficient the flight crew was in its operation.
The MD 80/83 planes have a terrific flight record and also have a high cost of routine maintenance. The American owners opted to sell these planes to developing countries in Africa and Asia cheaply irregardless of its high maintenance standards.
The western world deemed them too expensive to maintain, so they sold them. Does anyone think that aviation mechanics in Nigeria know something that the western world doesn't? I know they do maintain the planes in Nigeria but these planes must get regular maintenance at internationally recognized facilities in order to get landing privileges. Dana's MD83 airplanes were previously owned by Alaska Airlines. Don't forget Alaska had a fatal accident couple of years back over the Pacific ocean due to bad maintenance.

In Essence, in the aviation industry when maintenance and management is in a crash course, destination is almost never guaranteed.

FOOTNOTE> Can we really trust the Indians and Chinese to better manage our industries?

1 Like

Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by ChuksMail(m): 9:07am On Jun 04, 2012
bayooooooo:

So sad!!! We don't value human life in this country, we make laws for our own safety yet because of corruption such laws are not enforced. Some of the planes flying in Nigeria are not fit for such purpose. We put some many stuffs in the hands of God, yet he does not exist.

In one of my numerous trips to Enugu some years back (Enugu airport was closed for rehabilitation at the time) so I had to take a flight to Owerri. It was a terrible moment all of life. At a point, the plane was shaking and the tension in people eyes could be seen even with closed eyes. For once, I was confronted with death at a close range. Even at a point,the beautiful chick beside me that was proven difficult to get had to hold tighly and shout Jesus countless time. I was sweating seriously. Indeed, it can't just be a nice way to die.

Now, we are here typing, discussing and invoking all manner of religious mantra that "God should save some of them". Well, I hope it does but unfortunately he does not exist. What can be of help is emergency response in reasonable time. Doctors not only at their desks but also on hand to respond to the critically injured and not doctors who are so happy to say sorry, but we are on strike.

Dudue Please how can u say God don't Exist ignorance being like u better tink rite
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by Fabjay(m): 9:10am On Jun 04, 2012
oh God!!! dis is a gr8 loss to nigeria as a whole.... Y on earth will they allow a plane dat has been on repair to fly.... God hav mercyooooo......
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by ZUBY77(m): 9:12am On Jun 04, 2012
odiaero: I told someone last two weeks when i was travelling after i landed in lagos airport waiting for my flight abroad that that Dana Air airplane is a timed bomb waiting to explode, reason is because it is so old and oudated, can u just imagine what just happened, God help Nigeria, that country is no more a country, it is a dead zone

I thought it was Arik air you took from Asaba to Lagos?
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by Biggyd2: 9:13am On Jun 04, 2012
benspeakout: The ill-fated Dana plane was said to had been under repair for several weeks and the airline's station manager protested its use but the Indian management insisted that it should fly. The German stations are reporting that the plane which crashed should never have taken off because of its write off state and that they are even wondering how the plane made it to Lagos.

From Dana's website, the plane was said to be a "Boeing MD-83". Well, Boeing and MacDonald/Douglas have corroborated from time to time, but according to Wikipedia, no such plane exists. That's really not important. Actually it's not really built by Boeing. It was designed and built by McDonald Douglas and later the company was bought by Boeing.
These airplanes are no longer manufactured and the Chinese have built many of these airplanes on their own. You have to look at how the airplane was maintained and how proficient the flight crew was in its operation.
The MD 80/83 planes have a terrific flight record and also have a high cost of routine maintenance. The American owners opted to sell these planes to developing countries in Africa and Asia cheaply irregardless of its high maintenance standards.
The western world deemed them too expensive to maintain, so they sold them. Does anyone think that aviation mechanics in Nigeria know something that the western world doesn't? I know they do maintain the planes in Nigeria but these planes must get regular maintenance at internationally recognized facilities in order to get landing privileges. Dana's MD83 airplanes were previously owned by Alaska Airlines. Don't forget Alaska had a fatal accident couple of years back over the Pacific ocean due to bad maintenance.
In Essence, in the aviation industry when maintenance and management is in a crash course, destination is almost never guaranteed.

FOOTNOTE> Can we really trust the Indians and Chinese to better manage our industries?

What do you expect? Nigeria is a dumping ground for all these counties. Our Government are ready to turn the other way so long as "palms are greased".

1 Like

Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by carlos86: 9:15am On Jun 04, 2012
othenok: Pls heard Ebuka of Big Brother was on that flight. How true is it?

I know God would show us mercy.

I didn't see any Ebuka Obi-Uchendu on the manifest
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by cold(m): 9:27am On Jun 04, 2012
cryptic:
Dude, u are a fool. The people in that picture are ground staff

I'm really in no mood for any back & forth right now.So i'd let this slide
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by ocelot2006(m): 9:28am On Jun 04, 2012
shymmex:

I'm not being sarcastic.. But planes don't crash in densely populated areas no matter the technical problem - unless the pilot is either drunk, or dead..

Planes are not like cars, you know?

I smell a foul play.

I suggest you read about the recent US Navy F-18 fighter crash this year in Florida due to mechanical faults. And yes both pilot and weapon system officer (WSO) were in very healthy condition. The fighter crashed in a populated suburban area.

Then there's the very old Isreali El-Al Boeing 747 cargo aircraft that crashed right in the middle of a densely populated area in Amsterdam, Holland. Again, the aircrew were not drunk/murdered. As a matter of fact, they were combat-seasoned pilots from the Isreali Airforce.

So yes, planes with mechanical faults do crash in densely populated areas.

1 Like

Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by Bawss1(m): 9:33am On Jun 04, 2012
tigerleggs: Sounds like my Charlie Tango. Are you?

No sir. Not Charlie Tango here
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by onyxo76(m): 9:44am On Jun 04, 2012
a very sad period indeed, its been one calamity after the other since thursday.Ibadan-lagos expressway claimed lives in 2 separate accidents,wasted lives in bauchi state from bombs,and now almost 200 nigerians dead from ill fated dana airlines crash not to mention the ghana crash involving a nigerian cargo plane.very sad times!!!

1 Like

Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by Kx: 9:59am On Jun 04, 2012
We ve seen armed robbery on the rise,insecurity, unemployment, ritual killing,bad road, highest level of corruption, plain crash, fuel price increase,boko haram, banks closing shops etc, all in the 1st yr of this govt alone.

In all honesty, all the govt efforts has nt solved any of these problems;
In the face of all these, what else must happen b4 an elected govt that fails to bring in solutions to problems throw in the towel and give room to people who may have solutions to come on board?
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by benspeakout: 10:14am On Jun 04, 2012
crux945: HISTORY OF THE MCDONNELL DOUGLAS MD SERIES ,THE PLANE DANA AIR USES:
MD-83 timeline■Announced/go-ahead: January 31, 1983.
■First flight: December 17, 1984.
■FAA certification: October 17, 1985 (MTOW 149,500 lb (67,800 kg)). MTOW of 160,000 lb (73,000 kg) certificated November 4, 1985.
■First delivery: February, 1985 to Alaska Airlines - initially as -82 powered by -217A engines and certificated as MD-82s. Alaska Airlines' first four aircraft were subsequently re-engined and re-certificated as MD-83s.
■Entry into service: February, 1985 with Alaska Airlines.
■Last delivery: December 28, 1999 to TWA.
As of November 2009, the MD-80 series has been involved in 61 incidents,[27] including 29 hull-loss accidents,[28] with 1,330 fatalities.

Notable accidents and incidents■On December 1, 1981, an Inex-Adria Aviopromet Flight 1308, an MD-81[/b]crashed into Corsica's Mt. San Pietro during a holding pattern for landing at Campo dell'Oro Airport, Ajaccio. All 180 passengers and crew were killed.
■On August 16, 1987, Northwest Airlines Flight 255, an [b]MD-82
crashed shortly after takeoff from Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport due to flight crew's failure to use the taxi checklist to ensure the flaps and slats were extended for takeoff according to the NTSB. All crew and passengers were killed with the exception of a 4-year old girl, Cecelia Cichan.
■On December 27, 1991, SAS Flight 751, an MD-81, OY-KHO "Dana Viking" crash landed at Gottröra, Sweden. In the initial climb both engines ingested ice broken loose from the wings (which had not been properly de-iced before departure). The ice damaged the compressor blades causing compressor stall. The stall further caused repeated engine surges that finally destroyed both engines, leaving the aircraft with no propulsion. The aircraft landed in a snowy field and broke in three parts. No fire occurred and all aboard survived.
■On June 1, 1999, American Airlines Flight 1420, an MD-82 attempting to land in severe weather conditions at Little Rock Airport overshot the runway and crashed into the banks of the Arkansas River. Eleven people, including the captain, died.
■On January 31, 2000, Alaska Airlines Flight 261, an MD-83, crashed in the Pacific Ocean, due to loss of horizontal stabilizer control.[31] All 88 people on board were killed. Following the crash, the acme nut and jackscrew recovered from the aircraft were found to be excessively worn[32] and found to be the cause of the crash due to inadequate maintenance. The FAA ordered airlines to inspect and lubricate the jackscrew more frequently.
■On October 8, 2001, Scandinavian Airlines Flight 686, an MD-87 (SE-DMA) collided with a small Cessna jet during take-off at Linate Airport, Milan, Italy. The Linate Airport disaster left 118 people dead. The cause of the accident was a misunderstanding between air traffic controllers and the Cessna jet, and the SAS crew had no role in causing the accident. Also the ground movement radar was inoperative at the time of the accident.
■On May 7, 2002, China Northern Airlines Flight 6136, an MD-82, from Beijing to Dalian, crashed into Bohai Bay near Dalian, after the pilot reported "fire on board". All 111 people on board were killed.
■On November 30, 2004, Lion Air Flight 538, an MD-82 crash landed at Adi Sumarmo Airport in Surakarta and overran the end of the runway. There were 25 fatalities.
■On August 16, 2005, West Caribbean Airways Flight 708, an MD-82 crashed in a mountainous region in northwest Venezuela killing all 152 passengers and eight crew.
■On March 4, 2006, Lion Air Flight 8987, an MD-82, after landing at Juanda International Airport, applied reverse thrust although the reversers were stated to be out of order. This caused the aircraft to veer to the right and skid off the runway coming to rest 7,000 ft (2,100 m) from the approach end of Runway 10. No one was killed, but the aircraft sustained $3 million in damage.
■On September 16, 2007, One-Two-GO Airlines Flight 269, an MD-82 crashed at the side of the runway and exploded after an apparent attempt to execute a go-around in bad weather at Phuket International Airport. Eighty-nine of the 130 people on board were killed.
■On November 30, 2007, Atlasjet Flight 4203, a MD-83 crashed in the southwestern province of Isparta, Turkey, killing all 57 people aboard. The cause of the crash was attributed to pilot spatial disorientation.
■Between March 26/27, 2008 and then again between April 8/12, 2008 an FAA safety audit of American Airlines forced the airline to ground its entire fleet of MD-80 series aircraft (approximately 300), to inspect the aircraft's hydraulic wiring. American was forced to cancel nearly 2,500 flights in March and over 3,200 in April.[39] In addition, Delta Air Lines inspected its own [b]MD-80 fleet to ensure its 117 [b]MD-80s were also operating within regulation. This prompted Delta to cancel 275 flights.
■On August 20, 2008, Spanair Flight 5022, an [b]MD-82
registration EC-HFP from Madrid's Barajas Airport crashed shortly after takeoff on a flight to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands. The MD-82 had 162 passengers and ten crew on board, of whom 18 survived. The crash was caused by attempting to take off with the flaps and slats retracted. The flight crew omitted the "set flaps and slats" item in both the After Start checklist and the Takeoff Imminent checklist.
■On November 19, 2009, Compagnie Africaine d'Aviation Flight 3711, operated by MD-82 9Q-CAB overran the runway on landing at Goma International Airport, and suffered substantial damage. The overrun area was contaminated by solidified lava.[42]
■On 21 June 2010, Hewa Bora Airways Flight 601, operated by MD-82 9Q-COQ burst a tire on take-off from N'djili Airport, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo. Hydraulic systems and port engine were damaged and the nose gear did not lower when the aircraft returned to N'djili. All 110 people on board escaped uninjured. The airline blamed the state of the runway for the accident, but investigators found no fault with the runway.
■On 3 June 2012, Dana Air Flight 997, operated by McDonnell Douglas MD-83 commercial airliner crashed into a two-story building in Nigeria's largest city of Lagos. The plane had 147 passengers on board. No one on board survived. The incident is still under investigation. The plane has been deemed destroyed.

OMG! shocked I can't help but conclude that these MacDonald Douglas MD-80 series airplanes have some really big technical issues with them. No wonder the american company is gradually phasing them out.

FOOTNOTE> You'll Never Find Me Dead In A MD-80 series plane run by an Indian/Chinese company.
To Be Fore-Warned Is To Be Fore-Armed.
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by benspeakout: 10:20am On Jun 04, 2012
HISTORY OF THE MCDONNELL DOUGLAS MD SERIES ,THE PLANE DANA AIR USES:
MD-83 timeline■Announced/go-ahead: January 31, 1983.
■First flight: December 17, 1984.
■FAA certification: October 17, 1985 (MTOW 149,500 lb (67,800 kg)). MTOW of 160,000 lb (73,000 kg) certificated November 4, 1985.
■First delivery: February, 1985 to Alaska Airlines - initially as -82 powered by -217A engines and certificated as MD-82s. Alaska Airlines' first four aircraft were subsequently re-engined and re-certificated as MD-83s.
■Entry into service: February, 1985 with Alaska Airlines.
■Last delivery: December 28, 1999 to TWA.
As of November 2009, the MD-80 series has been involved in 61 incidents,[27] including 29 hull-loss accidents,[28] with 1,330 fatalities.

Notable accidents and incidents■On December 1, 1981, an Inex-Adria Aviopromet Flight 1308, an MD-81[/b]crashed into Corsica's Mt. San Pietro during a holding pattern for landing at Campo dell'Oro Airport, Ajaccio. All 180 passengers and crew were killed.
■On August 16, 1987, Northwest Airlines Flight 255, an [b]MD-82
crashed shortly after takeoff from Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport due to flight crew's failure to use the taxi checklist to ensure the flaps and slats were extended for takeoff according to the NTSB. All crew and passengers were killed with the exception of a 4-year old girl, Cecelia Cichan.
■On December 27, 1991, SAS Flight 751, an MD-81, OY-KHO "Dana Viking" crash landed at Gottröra, Sweden. In the initial climb both engines ingested ice broken loose from the wings (which had not been properly de-iced before departure). The ice damaged the compressor blades causing compressor stall. The stall further caused repeated engine surges that finally destroyed both engines, leaving the aircraft with no propulsion. The aircraft landed in a snowy field and broke in three parts. No fire occurred and all aboard survived.
■On June 1, 1999, American Airlines Flight 1420, an MD-82 attempting to land in severe weather conditions at Little Rock Airport overshot the runway and crashed into the banks of the Arkansas River. Eleven people, including the captain, died.
■On January 31, 2000, Alaska Airlines Flight 261, an MD-83, crashed in the Pacific Ocean, due to loss of horizontal stabilizer control.[31] All 88 people on board were killed. Following the crash, the acme nut and jackscrew recovered from the aircraft were found to be excessively worn[32] and found to be the cause of the crash due to inadequate maintenance. The FAA ordered airlines to inspect and lubricate the jackscrew more frequently.
■On October 8, 2001, Scandinavian Airlines Flight 686, an MD-87 (SE-DMA) collided with a small Cessna jet during take-off at Linate Airport, Milan, Italy. The Linate Airport disaster left 118 people dead. The cause of the accident was a misunderstanding between air traffic controllers and the Cessna jet, and the SAS crew had no role in causing the accident. Also the ground movement radar was inoperative at the time of the accident.
■On May 7, 2002, China Northern Airlines Flight 6136, an MD-82, from Beijing to Dalian, crashed into Bohai Bay near Dalian, after the pilot reported "fire on board". All 111 people on board were killed.
■On November 30, 2004, Lion Air Flight 538, an MD-82 crash landed at Adi Sumarmo Airport in Surakarta and overran the end of the runway. There were 25 fatalities.
■On August 16, 2005, West Caribbean Airways Flight 708, an MD-82 crashed in a mountainous region in northwest Venezuela killing all 152 passengers and eight crew.
■On March 4, 2006, Lion Air Flight 8987, an MD-82, after landing at Juanda International Airport, applied reverse thrust although the reversers were stated to be out of order. This caused the aircraft to veer to the right and skid off the runway coming to rest 7,000 ft (2,100 m) from the approach end of Runway 10. No one was killed, but the aircraft sustained $3 million in damage.
■On September 16, 2007, One-Two-GO Airlines Flight 269, an MD-82 crashed at the side of the runway and exploded after an apparent attempt to execute a go-around in bad weather at Phuket International Airport. Eighty-nine of the 130 people on board were killed.
■On November 30, 2007, Atlasjet Flight 4203, a MD-83 crashed in the southwestern province of Isparta, Turkey, killing all 57 people aboard. The cause of the crash was attributed to pilot spatial disorientation.
■Between March 26/27, 2008 and then again between April 8/12, 2008 an FAA safety audit of American Airlines forced the airline to ground its entire fleet of MD-80 series aircraft (approximately 300), to inspect the aircraft's hydraulic wiring. American was forced to cancel nearly 2,500 flights in March and over 3,200 in April.[39] In addition, Delta Air Lines inspected its own [b]MD-80 fleet to ensure its 117 [b]MD-80s were also operating within regulation. This prompted Delta to cancel 275 flights.
■On August 20, 2008, Spanair Flight 5022, an [b]MD-82
registration EC-HFP from Madrid's Barajas Airport crashed shortly after takeoff on a flight to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands. The MD-82 had 162 passengers and ten crew on board, of whom 18 survived. The crash was caused by attempting to take off with the flaps and slats retracted. The flight crew omitted the "set flaps and slats" item in both the After Start checklist and the Takeoff Imminent checklist.
■On November 19, 2009, Compagnie Africaine d'Aviation Flight 3711, operated by MD-82 9Q-CAB overran the runway on landing at Goma International Airport, and suffered substantial damage. The overrun area was contaminated by solidified lava.[42]
■On 21 June 2010, Hewa Bora Airways Flight 601, operated by MD-82 9Q-COQ burst a tire on take-off from N'djili Airport, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo. Hydraulic systems and port engine were damaged and the nose gear did not lower when the aircraft returned to N'djili. All 110 people on board escaped uninjured. The airline blamed the state of the runway for the accident, but investigators found no fault with the runway.
■On 3 June 2012, Dana Air Flight 997, operated by McDonnell Douglas MD-83 commercial airliner crashed into a two-story building in Nigeria's largest city of Lagos. The plane had 147 passengers on board. No one on board survived. The incident is still under investigation. The plane has been deemed destroyed.

OMG! shocked I can't help but conclude that these MacDonald Douglas MD-80 series airplanes have some really big technical issues with them. No wonder the american company is gradually phasing them out.

FOOTNOTE> You'll Never Find Me Dead In A MD-80 series plane run by an Indian/Chinese company.
To Be Fore-Warned Is To Be Fore-Armed.
Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by moilovie: 10:29am On Jun 04, 2012
Join us to pray for the families that lost their dear ones
Yookos:‎@PastorChrisLive:The plane crash in Lagos:very sad indeed.Pray for relatives of victims,especially children suddenly orphaned.We'll pray at 12noon

1 Like

Re: Dana Airplane Crashed At Iju-Agbado, Ayinla Bus-Stop by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 04, 2012
It is McDonnell Douglas and not McDonald

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

Man Rides Bicycle Taller Than A Bus On Lagos Road (pics) / Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own / Ghana Opens The Highest And Longest Flyover In West Africa (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.