Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:40 PM

How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? (5404 Views)

No Child After Marriage: How Long Can You Wait? / HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW TROUBLING YOUR MARRIAGE! / Women! Please Stay With Your Husbands: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by nirron1(m): 3:40pm On Apr 01, 2006
Some Nigerian traditions allows for ones mother-in-law to stay with her daugther helping her out to nurse the baby.
As the man of the house,how long can u allow her to stay with u?As the wife if the reverse is the case,how long will u allow your husband's mother to stay with u nursing the baby?

1 Like

Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by Zahymaka(m): 5:09pm On Apr 01, 2006
Depends on how nice she is -- but if she's nice she'll take the cue and leave after a while.
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by Rhodalyn(f): 9:50pm On Apr 01, 2006
smiley smiley
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by Seun(m): 5:38am On Apr 02, 2006
No thanks. I'm tired of not being the most important figure in the house. No one older than me is welcome in my home, thank you very much. if we need help, we will hire a nanny! grin
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by Zahymaka(m): 10:29am On Apr 02, 2006
No one older than me is welcome in my home, thank you very much.

So you're one of those men who use age in determining who to marry -- are you sure when the love bug strikes you, you won't go for someone older than you?
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by iffe(f): 8:08pm On Apr 11, 2006
as long as u she wants.
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by babymine(f): 7:26pm On Apr 12, 2006
It depends on how nice and loving she is. cheesy
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by Dupsybaby(f): 2:12pm On Apr 15, 2006
very short visit,nice or not nice i do prefer to avoid wahala.
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by larger20(m): 2:36pm On Apr 15, 2006
u cant make the decision when ur wife is there. Infact that is ur wifes mom so just stay away and let mother and child do their thing,
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by eveseh(f): 8:14pm On Apr 27, 2006
one week,afetr one week
park her bags staright to the village grin grin grin grin
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by JJYOU: 3:14pm On Mar 17, 2009
i think there should be a forum/ thread for the married so threads like this dont get lost
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by kokorunna(m): 3:26pm On Mar 17, 2009
If is she nice then she can stay as long as she wants cheesy
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by sistawoman: 3:27pm On Mar 17, 2009
I think it really would depend on the r/s that I have with my MIL.

My xMIL was a real bitch and I could not stand her more than 6 hours at a time.  But my mom she came for each baby, her and my dad and would stay 3-4 weeks.  It was great having my mom and dad there with me when I had each of my children.

My mom would let me rest the first couple of weeks home and would bring the baby to me for feedings.  Dad would do necesarry repairs around the house (my exH could not figure out which end was the head on the hammer) and he would play with the older children to keep them occupied.  My mom would also prepare meals before she left and freeze them for easy thawing and heating after she left.
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by JJYOU: 3:50pm On Mar 17, 2009
sistawoman:

I think it really would depend on the r/s that I have with my MIL.

My xMIL was a real bitch and I could not stand her more than 6 hours at a time.  But my mom she came for each baby, her and my dad and would stay 3-4 weeks.  It was great having my mom and dad there with me when I had each of my children.

My mom would let me rest the first couple of weeks home and would bring the baby to me for feedings.  Dad would do necesarry repairs around the house (my exH could not figure out which end was the head on the hammer) and he would play with the older children to keep them occupied.  My mom would also prepare meals before she left and freeze them for easy thawing and heating after she left.

mmmmm you couldnt teach him
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by sistawoman: 3:55pm On Mar 17, 2009
JJYOU:

mmmmm you couldnt teach him

He did not want to learn.
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by JJYOU: 4:00pm On Mar 17, 2009
sistawoman:

He did not want to learn.
that is why he is an ex. thank God for small mercies.
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by bigbumper(f): 4:09pm On Mar 17, 2009
As long as her mouth comes with a sticky tape which she knows how and when to apply, WHY NOT, she can stay as long as she wants cheesy

I always made an effort to get along with any potential MIL before taking things serious with any guy to guard against situations like this.
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by hotstuff06(f): 4:21pm On Mar 17, 2009
HMMM, my parents in law have been living with us for 4 yrs now, tried everything to get them out of my house especially my MIL, and the woman refused to budge. Now that my children have started school, she has nothing to do, she is now pestering me to have another baby, WTH COS THAT AINT HAPPENING. I guess so she can stay for another 3 yrs abi.
My FIL still works so he is hardly ever home, but u know how it is with women. 2 can't live in the same house without one bickering about something which is usually her. It used to hurt me b4 but i have developed a think skin and it hurts her more now that I don't give a damn what she thinks or says.

God willing, I vow never to stay with any of my married children for more than a month (invited by them) at a time. I can't put another young woman thru what I ahve been thru.
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by bigbumper(f): 4:26pm On Mar 17, 2009
hotstuff06

Four years shocked shocked shocked And the FIL is there too shocked Is there an end in sight? I cannot even pretend I know what you are going through, but I know God is your strength wink
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by hotstuff06(f): 5:04pm On Mar 17, 2009
@BIG BUMPER, no end in sight oh. I really can't even tell. I don't care anymore though. I go out with my hubby anytime I please. I used to be depressed about it but not anymore. God gave me the strength to overcome the drepression and now I live my life like there is no tomorrow. She knows now I dont care for her or her wahala so she is the one hurting now  wink
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Mar 17, 2009
Between my wife and myself, we'll be more than capable of taking care of any children.

Don't want MIL living with us for any length of time.
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by JJYOU: 5:51pm On Mar 17, 2009
Siena:

Between my wife and myself, we'll be more than capable of taking care of any children.

Don't want MIL living with us for any length of time.
NOT ALL MA INLAWS ARE EVIL SIENNA.
hotstuff06:

@BIG BUMPER, no end in sight oh. I really can't even tell. I don't care anymore though. I go out with my hubby anytime I please. I used to be depressed about it but not anymore. God gave me the strength to overcome the drepression and now I live my life like there is no tomorrow. She knows now I dont care for her or her wahala so she is the one hurting now  wink
good for you. this is one thing that always baffle me. why on earth women victimise other women.
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by Treetop20(m): 6:07pm On Mar 17, 2009
a couple of weeks maximum!
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Mar 17, 2009
JJYOU:

NOT ALL MA INLAWS ARE EVIL SIENNA.

I never said they were evil - a question was asked, and I gave my answer.
It's just my preference, which is what a discussion board's all about, different views.
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by bigbumper(f): 9:22pm On Mar 17, 2009
hotstuff06:

@BIG BUMPER, no end in sight oh. I really can't even tell. I don't care anymore though. I go out with my hubby anytime I please. I used to be depressed about it but not anymore. God gave me the strength to overcome the drepression and now I live my life like there is no tomorrow. She knows now I dont care for her or her wahala so she is the one hurting now wink

What a relief to hear that you have managed to put her in her place, some of them can be soooo lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I remember my parternal grandma always trying it on with my mum, when I grew up, I showed her ehn, I did not even send her that she was my grandmother grin grin grin
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by ikamefa(f): 9:23pm On Mar 17, 2009
i want my  MIL with me but for a short period of time cheesy
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by Hauwa1: 9:28pm On Mar 17, 2009
stay with me as in helping with baby? i prefer Siena's idea too, TIY/DIY.

2 weeks is the max i can take. i'd like to see the roundtrip ticket she got  wink
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Mar 17, 2009
2 weeks? cry cry
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by ima1(f): 6:24am On Mar 18, 2009
Nice or not she is staying for 1 week, even my own mother will only stay for 1 week. i would rather pay for a hotel room for her than have her stay in my house for more than 1 week, cuz when they stay for more than one week, they start getting all up in ur business.
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by FBS: 7:55am On Mar 18, 2009
depending on how nice the mother-in-law is.
a few weeks maybe?
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by malaika(f): 8:10am On Mar 18, 2009
::
Re: How Long Can Your Mother-In-Law Stay With You? by sparta(f): 10:00am On Mar 18, 2009
2 to 3 weeks and they are out, i no want wahala. Th next thing you know she will want to run your house and tell you the meat in your soup is too big.

(1) (2) (Reply)

SUICIDE My NEXT OPTION If This Fails Too!!! / How Do I Tell Hubby I Want My Sick Brother To Come To Lagos / Help! He Is Blocking My Marriage And Happiness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.