Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,828 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist (8576 Views)

Oscar Ukonu: The Nigerian Who Can Draw Everything With Pen / How Can I Draw And Paint Pdp Umbrella Logo Using Corel Draw? / Let's Draw! A Hand (Lessons on how to draw) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by yicob(m): 11:10am On Nov 22, 2007
PLs O my people, i know nothing about drawing but i will like to learn this graphics thing. how do i go about it and which software would be recommended to a wannabe like me.
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by wham(m): 10:56pm On Nov 28, 2007
learn flash 8.0 (2D Graphics )
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by Bennyboy(m): 11:38am On Nov 29, 2007
Drawing is not ABSOLUTELY necessary but I would say it gives you a great edge. An eye for art is necessary though.

There is a way a traditional artist looks and feels about his/her subjects in terms of light, shade, color etc that would help you better appreciate computer graphics better.

An artist would readily and perhaps easily grasp the means through which computer graphics are made than one with no background in art (drawing included).

CG? flash won't help much in that direction - its main purpose is for applications if u choose to go the way of web 2.0. I would suggest going to the photoshop tutorial sites - pixel2life.com will suffice, they have tutorials for 2D and 3D graphics for various applications.

Cheers. wink
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by realcele: 1:11pm On Nov 29, 2007
Whatever does not come naturally, inborn within you(what yorubas call abiniby which is different from ability). You have to double your leaning curve. Dont depend on one software to be master at least be proficient in two to get expert and unique look
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by Orikinla(m): 1:22pm On Nov 29, 2007
You do not need to know how to draw to be a graphic artist today.

Just visit the nearest Aptech centre in Nigeria and you can be further educated to become a graphic artist.

Yaba Tech and other Art schools in the colleges and universities in Nigeria are behind time.
Most of their graduates are redundant, except those who have acquired proficiency in IT.
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by diyobdw(f): 1:42pm On Nov 29, 2007
Are you artistic mind wise- wit computer application you might not need to be very good with your pencils.

But you need to be able to use the application start with learn easy ones like corel draw or so and you can consider training school if that convenient.
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by hortongate(m): 2:39pm On Nov 29, 2007
I think it's imposible to move a car let alone drive it without first, having a vague idea of what the instruments in the car are designed for.
Indeed, there are several softwares designed for graphics but honestly, being able to draw is the most basic requirement. These softwares are only designed to make your work easier because first, you've got to be able to visualise your idea, sketch it on a paper (scamping) before hitting your computer.
In fact, some graphics artists are so brilliant with scamps that you can virtually see, say a finished press advert before it gets on the computer. And so, with all the softwares available to them, they're able to knock the job out in minutes. The reverse of this is that you can spend hours on end on the computer because you can't see in front of you the accurate physical picture of what you are visualising.
You really don't have to be the best artist in the world with the pencil but at least you need to be able to sketch-the first step to a good work.

When computers came around, people who were used to manual typewriters found it easier to do basic typing on a computer keyboard but obviously microsoft word was a huge releif for all the spelling errors, deletions, cutting and pasting etc.
Hope you understand, that's how it works. Just keep drawing and using your computer and you'll be there.
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by Raimond(m): 3:17pm On Nov 29, 2007
Pally,you could try swimming instead>>> grin

Graphic artist without a fair sense of fine arts, Hell no, except by divine providence
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by tinkerbery(f): 3:34pm On Nov 29, 2007
Well said 'Hortongate' ,  wink

Yicob, hope you understand what he just posted?

my questions are,

what's the drive? that is, what is your driving force cos you used a word in your post, that is 'graphics thing'. how much do you know about what you want to go into? are you really really interested in it? or is it just one of those cravings for 'whatever is making head way'?  No hard feelings. why all this question? ok cool i heard that someone got paid a huge amount of money for just doing a graphic animation on TUface Idibia smiley . look , just do whatever you feel would give you joy, try to find yourself, i guess you are undecided  undecided that face explains it. DONT get me wrong. this is not a stinker.
all the best
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by wham(m): 12:01am On Nov 30, 2007
Well, I'll say, once u have the imaginative, creative mind,
u can surprise yourself with what u can achieve using basic shapes
and colors in all these 2D SWs.

Pst, A lot of Abstract is actually junk presented in color
lipsrsealed
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by Farriel(m): 12:53pm On Nov 30, 2007
Possessing drawing skills would prove really significant as it will give you a more expressive form in your designs. If you want to do extremely well in your graphic design, take out time to attend a basic Fine Art class around you.

Whichever way, you need to understand what aspect of computer graphics you want to get involved - cos the term CG is catch-all. To begin, you need to know the tools to work with, based on the sort of CG designs you want to do. Some funadmental questions you need to ask yourself are:

Do I want to carry out 2D designs or 3D? What platform am I designing for, Web or Print media? (In my view, both are mutually exclusive.)

For Print, you need some descent knowledge in overall desktop publishing. An application called Quark Express used with Photoshop would prove remarkable.

For Web, Illustration and Design programs would do you good. Photoshop, Fireworks, etc. Still on Web, if you're going into animation, then like a couple of posters pointed, you need Flash.

Of course we have CAD (Computer Aided Design) graphics, though a lot of people dont see it as one. AutoCAD would be suitable.

There's also Motion Graphics, which is forming a greater part of the CG industry.

I could go on and on but I'm sure you get my drift. Know what you want to do, then learn what you need for it.
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by oziomatv(m): 1:32pm On Nov 30, 2007
Do you have passion of it to start with or do you only want to do it because you see people making money in it? first thing in every business, job or proffession is passion and willingness. the rest come automatically.
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by moondust(m): 2:29pm On Nov 30, 2007
like bennyboy said, ability to draw only gives u an edge. . . can still succeed as a graphic artist without knowing how to draw, infact some of the best graphic artists i know, can't draw to save their lives wink
just have a good sense of art and some design skills, and u're good. wink
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by luridguy(m): 4:08pm On Nov 30, 2007
why do what to become a graphics artist when you cannot draw what do know how to do  why not become whatever it is you do know how to do.(joking)but hey let me not be a kill joy here it is actually possible to become the best at things you know nothing about thats why we have schools so if you really want it spend hours trying to be it
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by AkinCREATV(m): 12:34pm On Dec 03, 2007
Hey Young man , There is what we called Creative advertising and all you need do is to develop ideas, it is called idea generation which is what you get at the end of the day on various adverts , Billboard and TV Commercial, you will be the brain behind Great adverts, talking from experience im more of an idea person i just realized i dont draw anymore, so get your self a job as a trainee in an advertising agency, and learn through the robe , wish you all the best,
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by yicob(m): 8:08pm On Dec 06, 2007
I really appreciate evry1s response.
Akincreatv, if am may b right, i tink ure talking about copywriting. I am presently a trainee developing my portfolio. I wont mind if i can meet u 4 a tètè-a-tèté.
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by yicob(m): 8:10pm On Dec 06, 2007
Akincreatv, if am may b right, i tink ure talking about copywriting. I am presently a trainee developing my portfolio. I wont mind if i can meet u 4 a tètè-a-tèté.
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by yicob(m): 8:15pm On Dec 06, 2007
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by AkinCREATV(m): 1:01pm On Dec 10, 2007
Nope you are more like a Art director than a copy writer and  what you do basically is you ust scribble your ideas on the paper. let me share some ideas with you on a private stuff whats your number i will call you,  have a great day,
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by yicob(m): 3:06pm On Dec 10, 2007
thanks akincreatv. am presently into both. as in copywriting and art directing. well my numbre is 080***.email: jackobzn@yahoo.com expecting your call
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by iparrot(m): 3:53pm On Dec 10, 2007
@yicob. it all depends on what you want to do. if you are going to be doing 2d work, well sorry my friend, you will need to go take art lessons ( life drawing, etc), if it is 3d, you probably get away with it by just learning the software, have a great eye for details and just being able to sketch your ideas on paper!
but tinkerbell ( i hope i spelt it right) is right, if you delve into it for monetery purpose you might never get as good as just having passion for it. Good luck!
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by Awo4(m): 12:31pm On Dec 12, 2007
Software or no software, you have to have a flair for the arts to become successful and from the way you've posted, I don't think your knowledge or passion for it is sufficient enough.

Sorry, "It's not wekking for me". lol
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by Heinz(m): 5:19pm On Nov 17, 2008
wink u could start by getting a good graphics instructor to help u owt by startin wit 2d drawings and designs
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by ajayi1(m): 12:22pm On Nov 18, 2008
@ All. YOu guys try with all the massages you droped. What i can say is that for you to be a graphic artist, you will need to learn from someone else gradually do what ppl has done before for you to to progress in ur knowledge. Try working on one or two software for starting. I will give you more brief later.
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by Kemjisuper(m): 1:40pm On Nov 18, 2008
Hey, This is an old topic. Poster must have made up his mind by now whether he wants to go into graphics or not! undecided
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by ajayi1(m): 4:44pm On Nov 18, 2008
Kemjisuper:

Hey, This is an old topic. Poster must have made up his mind by now whether he wants to go into graphics or not! undecided
YOU CAN SEE THAT IT'S WRITTEN TO ALL NOT ONLY THE POSTER.
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by smartsoft(m): 5:12pm On Nov 18, 2008
AKinCreaV now can i meet you please, ? 07029461269 would like you to buzz me please please please i beg of you,  ooooo how many please you see i'm really serious i got a big question for ya,  please buzz me on phone thanks sir

@remilekung,  i takle you there ooo  you saying nobody came with creativity or something ? creativity is not suppose to be a talent ? brother everyone came down here with a talent,  and if you discover your talent so quickly, then the sky will be the starting point for you.

if this guy has a talent,  and he never knows, he just needs to work around it and by so doing he will find out he got some talent and the talent might just fall at is creativity.  haven't  you seen peeps who sing song just like gospel song, let assume  we have 5 people who sings and you not better than the 3rd person but when you sing people  start crying because your songs touched them and why the other guy sings everybody is happy and clapping.

which one will you prefer ? Entertaining people or Ministering to people ? abeg people came down to this earth with different talent,  just discover it and you will be creative

More so people study something else in school at the end of the day, they find themselves in the advertising Industry or Graphic Design generally, doing gr8t things.  but they are  better than people who went to school who read FINE ART thing.

AkinCreatv don't fail me oooo
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by CEDARBIZ(m): 2:54pm On May 14, 2009
Hi There,

Dont mean to hurt your feelings tho but can you play soccer with Crutches? You might be able to but it is hard. THat is the point.

The subject you are talking about is an Art. You have to have it in your head and then use computer softwares to put it in a visual form. It is just like showing me your thoughts.

If you cant draw, it will be tough. DOnt even know where to start advising you. If you are really passionate aobut it, then start drawing or go to a fine Arts school. Forget the comuputer part for now and get the basics first.
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by sunnykiss(m): 12:32pm On May 23, 2009
Thanks All the guru here i also ave Dis dream to be a graphic artist both for print and web,cos for naija now all join.which design school is the best have any one heard of rgbinstitute.com google it
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by hillus: 3:15am On Dec 15, 2012
yicob: PLs O my people, i know nothing about drawing but i will like to learn this graphics thing. how do i go about it and which software would be recommended to a wannabe like me.

There is solution, incase you want to start your logo and graphic business and you know nothing about drawing, that not a problem, I have a software [full licensed] that will enable accomplish your dream

Features of the software
1. Already designed templates for your use
2. Easy to use
3. It can help you start up your own biz
4. You can also resell the software

I offering these package for just N3,000, For those interested sms me @ 08037588749

Guaranty: In case you want to be sure, who you are dealing with, I can send you a trial version [but you cant output your graphic with it]

Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by maxwelljava: 9:16pm On Sep 10, 2014
Re: I Dont Know How To Draw And I Want To Become A Graphics Artist by henks(m): 10:04pm On Sep 18, 2014
I am well fed with ur info,by divine direction I found myself working with print industry I discover nothing interested like graphic,atleast I am ok now,I have discover sth special that God diposited In me,at age 30 I still have some of nur &primary sch drawing book,I can draw any cartoon I watch off hand,when I started falling. Love with dis field I know a vaccum want to be fill in me. I appreciat ur honest truth.as if I don gra from CG uni.but who can teach me that ? An expert artist if reside around ishaga oke Aro pls contact me this is my line08062729397 let negotiate.tnks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Smartphone 3D Modeling Diary / Request Blends Here. / Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.