Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie (32060 Views)

Peter Waxtan: Pilot Of Dana Airlines' Unlucky Plane / Pictures Of Dana Air Crash Victims / Survivor Of Dana Plane Crash!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by jmaine: 12:14am On Jun 06, 2012
pro01: By the way, how does one react or behave in the final moments when it becomes certain that death is imminent? I mean, since this crash happened, I have been unable to stop visualising the last minute or two inside the ill-fated aircraft, when it was hovering awkwardly and spiralling around the buildings. Did the passengers bond together to say thier final prayers? Were they making frantic and futile attempts to escape, did they recoil in their seats soaked in tears of despair? Did the business class passengers rush out into the economy class cabin in a show of death-bound solidarity? Indeed, did some of the passengers and crew break into the cockpit to see what the pilot was up to? Mary, mother of Jesus. I tell you, the chaotic scenes in that plane in the final moments is more heart-wrenching than words can ever describe.

I also mused about your post as well . . .imagining the scenario when it Started dropping from that height to where the struggle of the plane became visible to Iju inhabitants . . .Am sure some people died before the actual crash cos of shock and fear . . . . cry
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Basic(m): 12:16am On Jun 06, 2012
Beaf:

The airspace wasn't shut down. Its just a very evil rumour started by Buhari and El-Rufai people to make political gain from the tragedy.
The plane given emergency clearance to land as soon as the pilot called in distress, unfortunately they crashed before they could get to the airport.

A truly horrible story. May their souls rest in peace.

I doff my hat to the pilot who from eyewitness accounts, seems to have done everything possible to bring the plane down away from crowded areas.
Who are you to dispel such a rumour. Let Jonathan and his wife come out and dispel it themselves. If they both cannot, we'll hold that fact to be the truth. Or why should a plane hover aimlessly in the air for minutes when the airport is very close by? There are elements of truth in most rumours my brother!
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by muffins99(f): 12:21am On Jun 06, 2012
I hear people say fire fighters ran out of water and think
- surely aviation fires are put out with halon or C02, not water?
- Water risers and fire hydrants shouldn't be things you only see in hollywood movies.

I watched this on foreign news channels and it was embarrasing to see people, without proper kit on, holding up limp water hoses. Haba!Nigeria needs to get its priorities right.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by enupdates(f): 12:23am On Jun 06, 2012
betrani: 2 days nw I keep wondering wat feeling those passengers in d plane had, on being aware their deaths were imminent in 2 minutes! The imagination of what crys, terror, fear, the awareness as well as closeness of their deaths brought to them, is not wat one shld even desire for an enemy! May God grant them eternal peace, Rest and Forgiveness!
...i just can't get the thought out of my mind. Its so sad.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by freecocoa(f): 12:23am On Jun 06, 2012
This has brought tears to my eyes again.

What a story,someone like me cannot even stand that scene i tell you,I'm sure i would have passed out.

May the good lord comfort the bereaved and grant the dead peace.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Beaf: 12:27am On Jun 06, 2012
Basic:
Who are you to dispel such a rumour. Let Jonathan and his wife come out and dispel it themselves. If they both cannot, we'll hold that fact to be the truth. Or why should a plane hover aimlessly in the air for minutes when the airport is very close by? There are elements of truth in most rumours my brother!

That is a path for fools, bro.
Nobody is gonna break a limb to concince you about the obvious, afterall, you are an adult.

The plane crashed after it was given emergency clearance, sir. You are lying when you say it hovered in the air, something no eyewitness has said.
Why propagate lies on a tragedy like the most despicable of gutter beings that is worth only spitting on? Why trample on the dignity of the dead like you are Lucifer visting from hell?

Its your call to be evil, every man has his life to live.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by juman(m): 12:30am On Jun 06, 2012
Unfortunate country, no special number to call to during emergency to get immediate help, too bad.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Ivynwa(f): 12:36am On Jun 06, 2012
betrani: 2 days nw I keep wondering wat feeling those passengers in d plane had, on being aware their deaths were imminent in 2 minutes! The imagination of what crys, terror, fear, the awareness as well as closeness of their deaths brought to themis not wat one shld even desire for an enemy! May God grant them eternal peace, Rest and Forgiveness!

The thought of the bolded just made me finally crack with tears over this crash, a big thing happened to us. IFE MELU!.

This account did not assuage any desire or wonderings why these helpless ones were not helped immediately they crash landed which would have left some still alive but I guess anybody can be scared of nearing an airplane that just landed for fear of explosion. Can you imagine one fifty something helpless persons in the belly of that plane at the throes of death and unable to help themselves, these our brothers and sisters went through a sorrowful and heartwrenching ordeal-----to think that while they were burning our nation couldn't provide enough water at that moment too----sighing-----

THEIR DEATH SHOULD BE THE BEGINNING OF THE REFORMATION OF NIGERIA, A NEW NIGERIA WHERE THINGS WORK AS THEY SHOULD, WHERE WE ALL DO OUR JOBS AS WE SHOULD. LET US ARISE AND MAKE THINGS WORK PEOPLE!
When people get elected into offices, let it not be all about the benjamins, let us have the "People" and "Rendering service" at heart too. If the NCAA aviation authorities are doing their job well, we won't have "Pregnant-death-tombs" flying around in our country in the name of planes. We all admire and extol developed nations like the US and the UK but most of their people have "people" and "patriotism" in their heart while working. If we have a good number of fire stations dotted around the city and an effective water provision, quality fire retardants,running pipe borne water scheme---we would have helped ameliorate this tragedy. These measures are not beyond us, we are plain too-caught up with money.

It also hurts to think about the other casualties who got hit while in the comfort of their homes. This is one hell of a big wound in the heart of Nigeria---to every bereaved family whose loved ones died in this crash, we mourn with you, we share the pains they bore.

1 Like

Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by freecocoa(f): 12:39am On Jun 06, 2012
BoboYekini: this 'eyewitness' report does nothing for us. Instead of trying to write prose, the guy might have calmed down, dug into his memory and given us hard facts. This is nothing.
What kind of fact are you people looking for again?

The dude wasn't onboard the flight na,how would he know what happened inside the plane?did you not read that the plane burst into flames?just what facts are you looking for?

I tire for una sha,people can never pleased,no matter what,they'll always find something to complain about,tufiakwa.

1 Like

Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Beaf: 12:41am On Jun 06, 2012
pro01: By the way, how does one react or behave in the final moments when it becomes certain that death is imminent? I mean, since this crash happened, I have been unable to stop visualising the last minute or two inside the ill-fated aircraft, when it was hovering awkwardly and spiralling around the buildings. Did the passengers bond together to say thier final prayers? Were they making frantic and futile attempts to escape, did they recoil in their seats soaked in tears of despair? Did the business class passengers rush out into the economy class cabin in a show of death-bound solidarity? Indeed, did some of the passengers and crew break into the cockpit to see what the pilot was up to? Mary, mother of Jesus. I tell you, the chaotic scenes in that plane in the final moments is more heart-wrenching than words can ever describe.

I've been in a sort of situation in the air before. What happens is the pilot makes an announcement summarising the distress, tells everyone to go to their seats and fasten their seat belts. They give you the low down of oxygen bottles that drop down etc. At the same time, the crew troop toward the exits and strap themselves into special harnesses by the exits... Bro, its scary and organised.

I was with my wife and kid. I was so happy they were fast asleep; luckily the emergency passed quickly, but it was really scary. I am sure though that it wasn't even one-thousandth as scary as what happened at Iju. May their souls RIP.

1 Like

Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Nobody: 12:43am On Jun 06, 2012
mecussey: Sad, but there is sth oyibo never do ooo to prevent fatal crashing. There should be a way to reduce the speed of plane at the point of crash with whatever that could oppose the motion. All planes has a propella that propels backwards to give thrust to the plane, why cant it propel foward at the point of crash? If that wont be easy, there is this parashoot that use to stop military planes instantly, why wont they deploy it at least to reduce the speed of the plane by 80% before crash landing. We Nigerians are not good at any one na, at least we could have tried it

Hmnnn, I could see the thought pattern in your brain. It's against logic, common sense and belongs to the realm of apes. Grap a bottle of Heineken, Pepper chicken and continue the beer parlour gossip.

2 Likes

Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Ivynwa(f): 12:51am On Jun 06, 2012
freecocoa: What kind of fact are you people looking for again?

The dude wasn't onboard the flight na,how would he know what happened inside the plane?did you not read that the plane burst into flames?just what facts are you looking for?

I tire for una sha,people can never pleased,no matter what,they'll always find something to complain about,tufiakwa.

Nne people are angry and unhappy, asking questions, musing about it all----this thread beckons and thinking that one can find some answers to it all---one comes clicking only to find no answer to that tragedy. How can such number of people die like that in one swoop of an afternoon? It hurts to think of their pain my sister.

How you dey Ojare?
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Nobody: 12:51am On Jun 06, 2012

It's better imagined than experienced. There would still be that remnants of hope that something could still be done to salvage the situation until " Gbam and the rest as they say becomes history" I was aboard an Arik flight from Lagos to Owerri sometimes that was shaking seriously, I almost died. Death is not a big deal, but plane crash is not a good way to die. I could not concentrate until I finally got to Enugu that day. I was not myself on my return flight as thought of something evil (as in seeing a kind of macabre dance) could just happen.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by HighChief4(m): 12:52am On Jun 06, 2012
This is so scary, wonder how those parents looked and tried calming their kids down during the last few minutes. The tears and wailing, Oh Jesus take the wheel. I dont always like flying whenever am in Nigeria and when I do, I first confirm myself dead when boarding and if we land safely, then I know that I just survived death. I lost an aunty in that ill fated flight and somehow her face has not been able to disappear from my vision, I always visualize how she would have been shouting and calling Jesus. Terrible

1 Like

Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Nobody: 12:53am On Jun 06, 2012
Icon4s: Mr eye withness. No account of what happened around d plane, I mean d occupants? Did the plane set ablaze immediately it crash landed? What happend after it crashed!!?
Why must u wash ur dirty lining in public??we all knw u r a dullard.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Nobody: 12:58am On Jun 06, 2012
hardywaltz: Wow truly depressing watching helplessly while the plane burnt! May their gentle souls rest in peace!! What still baffles me is dat 9/11 which happened 10years ago have video footage while dis crash which happened in 2012 has no video footage!
Can't u tell d difference between light(America) and darkness(Nigeria)??
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by freecocoa(f): 1:01am On Jun 06, 2012
Ivynwa:

Nne people are angry and unhappy, asking questions, musing about it all----this thread beckons and thinking that one can find some answers to it all---one comes clicking only to find no answer to that tragedy. How can such number of people die like that in one swoop of an afternoon? It hurts to think of their pain my sister.

How you dey Ojare?
Nwanne'm for real,I'm not all that okay i tell ya,I just can't stop thinking about it,to even find out the Ayene's are related to my younger sister's friend is just too painful.

I get where you are coming from sha,we are all hurt,sad and angry but atleast they should spare the OP,he even tried in narrating what he saw the best way he could,if i were in his shoes I'd probably be lying on a hospital bed by now due to shock.

hope you are doing alright?
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by freecocoa(f): 1:08am On Jun 06, 2012
High_Chief: This is so scary, wonder how those parents looked and tried calming their kids down during the last few minutes. The tears and wailing, Oh Jesus take the wheel. I dont always like flying whenever am in Nigeria and when I do, I first confirm myself dead when boarding and if we land safely, then I know that I just survived death. I lost an aunty in that ill fated flight and somehow her face has not been able to disappear from my vision, I always visualize how she would have been shouting and calling Jesus. Terrible
My brother,I know that feeling.

I can't just stop shedding a few tears every now and then since on sunday,its really a pity.

I know the kind of shock and near cardiac arrest i get when a vehicle i'm in jerks or shakes, not to talk of a plane hovering left,right,up and down in the sky,i just can't even imagine it,its just too scary.

I'm sorry for your loss,may the almighty console you and your family,may he also grant your aunt peace and eternal rest,amen.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by carlos86: 1:13am On Jun 06, 2012
otokx: The mans account is not adding up, plane crashes with with wing hitting a house... ok, but all man's attention now appears to be on the destroyed and burning house, nobody is even thinking about the plane and people in it.

Exactly what I was thinking
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Ivynwa(f): 1:29am On Jun 06, 2012
freecocoa: Nwanne'm for real,I'm not all that okay i tell ya,I just can't stop thinking about it,to even find out the Ayene's are related to my younger sister's friend is just too painful.

I get where you are coming from sha,we are all hurt,sad and angry but atleast they should spare the OP,he even tried in narrating what he saw the best way he could,if i were in his shoes I'd probably be lying on a hospital bed by now due to shock.

hope you are doing alright?

I dey-o-o Ojare, we don dey mourn our deads now while near-covering our heads in shame. Wetin person go do? Inside one country, in one day---a fatal plane crash and some fr*aking id*ots busy bombing churches and people at the other side of town as if they want to bring down hell fire on the people. May God protect Nigerians.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by UKBobo(m): 1:34am On Jun 06, 2012
OP, this Moliere of the events is not needed now. Too over-dramatic and simplistic for an event that is to tragic to pass of as entertainment.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by freecocoa(f): 1:39am On Jun 06, 2012
UK Bobo: OP, this Moliere of the events is not needed now. Too over-dramatic and simplistic for an event that is to tragic to pass of as entertainment.
And you find the OP's post entertaining? Hmm interesting.

1 Like

Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by ballabriggs: 1:51am On Jun 06, 2012
It must have been a very traumatic experience. I had part of my Secondary education around the Iju area and I know how close to the ground these planes flew. Hopefully they would all come out strong.

Having said that, it is important to note that from the Hercules c-130 to the EAS air disaster in Kano to Bellview, communities around the airports have always been badly affected by these disasters. It is unfair that lives are lost in these areas to serve the pockets of the operators. Some of these people have never seen the inner part of a plane, how unfair is it to make them die through a plane crash. This thus brings the need for activism by the communities living around the airports. Communities must form stakeholder groups and push for the adherence to best practice in aviation. Adopt the mentality of "if the regulators don't do it, then we would do it". Demand that airlines publish annual reports on compliance with best standards in aviation. If you cannot interpret the measures of compliance, then get professionals in aviation to do it for you. This may not be sufficient to ensure compliance by operators and regulators but it is better than doing nothing.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Umunede(m): 3:20am On Jun 06, 2012
I go de follow road at least for now
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by EmekaDopa(m): 3:42am On Jun 06, 2012
Since these while, i hv bn thinking of parachute, jumping, and stuffs like dat. or is it ruled out entirely in such emergencys? pls anybdy can put me thru on dis.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Jiah011(f): 4:19am On Jun 06, 2012
Emeka Dopa: Since these while, i hv bn thinking of parachute, jumping, and stuffs like dat. or is it ruled out entirely in such emergencys? pls anybdy can put me thru on dis.

Planes are not built as helicopters where one can just jump out. So parachutes and such items wouldn't work. And generally to do such things, one needs training on how to do so properly. Think of the children and babies on the flights, even the elderly. Parachutes and jumping would not be an option for them. There are many safety concerns with parachutes too. Even the safety equipment on board commercial planes are generally for crash landing over water. With an experienced pilot, a crash landing over water can be done without loss of life, given the type of problem the plane is having and such a landing is possible. However, over land, crash landing is often a tragedy, simply because of the harshness of impact.

My heart is hurting for those that lost their lives. What hurts so much is that there were warnings that this plane was bad and shouldn't have flown out. These lives could have been saved. But seeing as how bad the aviation industry is in Nigeria and from other accounts, its a wonder that there are no accidents daily. May God help us out of our habitual stupor and show us the way forward. If anything, so that these who perished would not have died in vain.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Ivynwa(f): 4:25am On Jun 06, 2012
Jiah011:

Planes are not built as helicopters where one can just jump out. So parachutes and such items wouldn't work. And generally to do such things, one needs training on how to do so properly. Think of the children and babies on the flights, even the elderly. Parachutes and jumping would not be an option for them. There are many safety concerns with parachutes too. Even the safety equipment on board commercial planes are generally for crash landing over water. With an experienced pilot, a crash landing over water can be done without loss of life, given the type of problem the plane is having and such a landing is possible. However, over land, crash landing is often a tragedy, simply because of the harshness of impact.

My heart is hurting for those that lost their lives. What hurts so much is that there were warnings that this plane was bad and shouldn't have flown out. These lives could have been saved. But seeing as how bad the aviation industry is in Nigeria and from other accounts, its a wonder that there are no accidents daily. May God help us out of our habitual stupor and show us the way forward. If anything, so that these who perished would not have died in vain.

Thank you my sister, we feel the same way here.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by airmark(m): 4:31am On Jun 06, 2012
muffins99: I hear people say fire fighters ran out of water and think
- surely aviation fires are put out with halon or C02, not water?
- Water risers and fire hydrants shouldn't be things you only see in hollywood movies.

I watched this on foreign news channels and it was embarrasing to see people, without proper kit on, holding up limp water hoses. Haba!Nigeria needs to get its priorities right.

It was appalling to me too,when i saw the annoying effort to extinguish the fire. I shook my head and tears rolled on my cheeks. :'The moment that could have saved some passengers.( I just imagined how my foreign colleagues would view that scene. shocked I have n't been myself since sunday. Nigeria, so terrible a country. May the lost souls rest in peace. angry
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by logica(m): 4:47am On Jun 06, 2012
Reference: Thought it will contain useful information about the last moments of the flight that could help establish the cause but like typical Nigerian reportage, short on substance, long on tales. Rubbish.

BoboYekini: this 'eyewitness' report does nothing for us. Instead of trying to write prose, the guy might have calmed down, dug into his memory and given us hard facts. This is nothing.

Even without being an aviation expert, If you watch enough of the documentary series on airplane accidents on National Geographic called "Air Crash Investigation", you can figure what the likely cause of the crash was.

He clearly stated that the airplane "hovered side to side, up and down" which I take to indicate the airplane had become unmaneuverable. This may be consistent with hydraulic failure (which many people have already suggested and which was even stated to have been a recurrent problem with this same airplane!) For instance if it was the wing, the dive would be consistent.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by vilively: 4:50am On Jun 06, 2012
Reference: Thought it will contain useful information about the last moments of the flight that could help establish the cause but like typical Nigerian reportage, short on substance, long on tales. Rubbish.
Ur are a fool and May God Forgive me for saying that.'Nigerian Typical Reportage' did he tell u he worked as a reporter.do have any idea that he was just an 'eye witness'...I bet u don't even know what that means,that's y u made such a foolish remark...like u would do better if u were in his shoes.just listen to urself.Rubbish
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by Nobody: 4:56am On Jun 06, 2012
Nigeria is a shitthole.i cant count how many times ive heard govt talking about transforming the aviation sector on the news.this is how you transform it, you give free rein to incompetence because of bribery.
Re: Eye-Witness Account Of DANA Plane Crash: Like A Movie by logica(m): 4:57am On Jun 06, 2012
mecussey: All planes has a propella
Incorrect.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Wike Has Completed GRA Junction Flyover Port Harcourt: Pictures & Video / FG Tackles UAE Over Visa Ban, Flight Restriction / Ghanaians Ask For Asylum In Brazil July 11, 2014 7:52 AM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.