Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? (2108 Views)

The Muslim Pagan Practise Of Venerating The Hajar Al Aswad/black Stone. / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by safarigirl(f): 10:51am On Jun 06, 2012
I've met many people who have no substantial reason for why they practice their religion. Majority say it's because they were born into the religion, but is that enough reason to practice a religion? Perhaps it's this tradition of handing down religions to mostly unwilling participants that has caused the rot in the religious institutions and the present division, especially in Christianity where there are now Catholics and Protestants, even Protestants are divided into the old and new generation churches. Without excess quotations from the Bible or Qu'ran, defend your Christianity/Islamization or whatever you practice.
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by mkmyers45(m): 10:57am On Jun 06, 2012
safarigirl: I've met many people who have no substantial reason for why they practice their religion. Majority say it's because they were born into the religion, but is that enough reason to practice a religion? Perhaps it's this tradition of handing down religions to mostly unwilling participants that has caused the rot in the religious institutions and the present division, especially in Christianity where there are now Catholics and Protestants, even Protestants are divided into the old and new generation churches. Without excess quotations from the Bible or Qu'ran, defend your Christianity/Islamization or whatever you practice.

Why dont you start-off...What are you and why are you what you are?
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by Nobody: 11:33am On Jun 06, 2012
mkmyers45:

Why dont you start-off...What are you and why are you what you are?
We dey wait..
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by safarigirl(f): 11:48am On Jun 06, 2012
I'm a Catholic christian. And I won't lie, the main reason I'm this is cos my mum is and I was baptised in the Catholic church. But apart from that, I see the teachings of the church as the closest to what the early church had going on. I beleive priests should be celibate cos Jesus said to be a true disciple, one needs to abandon family and things of the earth, failure to do this means serving God partially, which is wrong. As far as the Bible goes, neither Jesus nor his disciples ever returned to their families. I may have my reservations on some practices, but I feel only the Catholic church has managed to remain in the scope of what Jesus had in mind when he pronounced St. Peter as the rock upon which his church would be built. Even if I practiced another religion, I would respect the Catholic church. I beleive in the existence of God, and I also beleive in the existence of smaller gods, if you could say. Hence, I don't concur that gods like Sango, Amadioha et al don't exist. And I definitely do not beleive that God, Allah, Bhudda et al are different.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by tbaba1234: 5:40pm On Jul 05, 2012
I am muslim because it makes sense first of all.... It also comes with evidence and proofs.... The Quran as a book has dismantled every contention i could possibly have about faith. The more i learn, the more i am mesmerised, stunned, overwhelmed and blown away by this book.

When you think it can't any better, It drops another load on you.
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by MrAnony1(m): 6:20pm On Jul 05, 2012
I am a christian, I believe in God as expressed by the bible. The gospel of Christ was preached to me and I believed it.
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by InesQor(m): 2:05am On Jul 06, 2012
I'm Christian because the records I found about the life and teachings of Jesus Christ provide an example worth emulating (for me).
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by cyrexx: 5:50pm On Jul 06, 2012
I am an atheist because there is not a single convincing proof of any being anywhere in any universe who is All-Powerful, All-loving and All-knowing and still has such a weak self esteem as to be offended by my belief or non-belief in him so as to vow to roast me alive forever in my second life if i dont believe the contradictions he allowed in religions.

in short, i am an atheist because the concept of god in religions is purely imaginary and designed for mind control
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by Nobody: 1:57am On Jul 07, 2012
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by Nobody: 1:58am On Jul 07, 2012
Christian for life! because the gospel of Christ is consistent and applies to every aspect of human endeavours.
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by Nobody: 2:14am On Jul 07, 2012
logicboy01:

Did the question ask you to hate atheism?

I was only following the footsteps of your buddy, Cyrexx.
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by logicboy01: 2:19am On Jul 07, 2012
1supremo:

I was only following the footsteps of your buddy, Cyrexx.

Ah two wrongs make a right in christianity!
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by Nobody: 2:36am On Jul 07, 2012
logicboy01:

Ah two wrongs make a right in christianity!

Are you admitting that he was wrong?
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by logicboy01: 2:37am On Jul 07, 2012
1supremo:

Are you admitting that he was wrong?

??

I am only admitting that you played a strawman when caught doing something wrong.
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by Nobody: 2:42am On Jul 07, 2012
logicboy01:

??

I am only admitting that you played a strawman when caught doing something wrong.
I decide not to recriminate you.
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by cyrexx: 6:36am On Jul 07, 2012
1supremo: Christian for life! because the gospel of Christ is consistent and applies to every aspect of human endeavours, while atheism is unalloyed delusion.

hey, watch it man. the op is not asking you to attack another person's belief system, just state what you believe and why you believe. and that was exactly what i did.
if you want to attack belief systems and receive counter attacks, go start another thread and we will meet you there.
op statement is very clear except your mind has been clouded by your religious "zeatlotry"
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jul 07, 2012
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jul 07, 2012
cyrexx:

hey, watch it man. the op is not asking you to attack another person's belief system, just state what you believe and why you believe. and that was exactly what i did.
if you want to attack belief systems and receive counter attacks, go start another thread and we will meet you there.
op statement is very clear except your mind has been clouded by your religious "zeatlotry"

Don't yell at me man! Check the last sentence of your post and convince yourself again that you only stated why you are who you are. By the way, no hard feelings.
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by cyrexx: 8:17pm On Jul 07, 2012
1supremo:

Don't yell at me man! Check the last sentence of your post and convince yourself again that you only stated why you are who you are. By the way, no hard feelings.

no hard feelings too, bro.
we may have a totally different opposing worldviews but we are still humans who can share the same one love.
by the way, i aint yelling but typing cheesy cheesy cool
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by thehomer: 6:48am On Jul 08, 2012
Oh my where to begin.
I'm currently an atheist because I'm yet to encounter a good reason to believe in any God so far presented while having good reasons for not believing in any of those Gods.
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by manmustwac(m): 8:07am On Jul 08, 2012
At the age og 14 when I first thought about the whole Jesus story seriously it just didn't make sense to me that an old white dude called God could just appear from nowhere and just say "Let there be light" and somehow magic life into existence. I found evolution easier to believe even though I don't really understand everything about evolution.
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by idmoore(m): 10:48am On Jul 08, 2012
I,m a christian cos of the freewill that God has used to established the religion through the good lessons and teachings of our lord Jesus christ.
I came to be a Cheribum and Seraphim becos of it white garment that signifies purity in the presence of God and the visionary gift that serves as rock that God has used to established the church.
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by Ayomivic(m): 7:51pm On Jul 08, 2012
Iam a christian,born into christian family.I have Muslims freinds and I used to listen to Muslims sermons too ,that inspire me to learn more on my religion ,When i was growing up,i decided to read Bible from Genesis to Revelation which i did.This enable me to have insight of what my religion .It helped me to understand the different and relationship of Old Testament to New Testament.I believe in God and in Bible. I pray to continue till the end.

I thank God for been born into Christian family.Sometime i used to wonder if i will embrace Christianity if i wasn't born as a christian.I hereby use this channel to offer my regard or respect to those people that change from others religions to Christianity.May God continue to strenght you in faith.Amen

1 Like

Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by logicboy01: 8:23pm On Jul 08, 2012
Ayomivic: Iam a christian,born into christian family.I have Muslims freinds and I used to listen to Muslims sermons too ,that inspire me to learn more on my religion ,When i was growing up,i decided to read Bible from Genesis to Revelation which i did.This enable me to have insight of what my religion .It helped me to understand the different and relationship of Old Testament to New Testament.I believe in God and in Bible. I pray to continue till the end.

I thank God for been born into Christian family.Sometime i used to wonder if i will embrace Christianity if i wasn't born as a christian.I hereby use this channel to offer my regard or respect to those people that change from others religions to Christianity.May God continue to strenght you in faith.Amen

@ the bold part,

You know this and yet you are still a christian? That God judges you in the society where you are born? That muslims born in a sharia country with little or no christian influence will go to hell or Hindus in India?
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by thehomer: 8:43pm On Jul 08, 2012
Ayomivic:
. . . .

Do you think God did a good thing in allowing most humans not to be born in Christian families?
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by cyrexx: 8:58pm On Jul 08, 2012
@ logicboy
@thehomer

just forget it
you can never get an answer to these questions.
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by logicboy01: 8:59pm On Jul 08, 2012
cyrexx: @ logicboy
@cyrexx

just forget it
you can never get an answer to these questions.

Lmao. Why? Does Ayomivic run away from such questions like a disingenuous coward or something?
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by Ayomivic(m): 10:15pm On Jul 08, 2012
logicboy01:

@ the bold part,

You know this and yet you are still a christian? That God judges you in the society where you are born? That muslims born in a sharia country with little or no christian influence will go to hell or Hindus in India?
I think you people should let us keep the topic on.But if you insist that i should answer your question, i will say that,God has made know his way the choice is yours.
You,Logicboy were given oppotunity as i was given but flung it away like papers.Don't you think your own is worst than that of those that was born into other religions ?
Remember that my ancentors were pagans as you know but when they found out the truth, they left the darkness and moved to light.My father enjoy the previlege so iam.
Re: Why Are You A Christian/muslim/pagan/atheist? by Nobody: 2:47am On Jul 09, 2012
I'm agnostic because I choose to believe I do not know. The little I do know is subject to change as I experience life more. I'm in a sense atheistic to all religious gods. If there's a GOD, he transcends religion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Death And Hell Would Be Thrown In The Lake Of Fire. What Does This Mean ? / Pastor Okotie With Body Guards Wearing Bullet-proof Vest In Church / The Definition Of Self-existent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.