Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,208 members, 7,780,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:17 PM

Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma Edo Sate Is The Worst Uni In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma Edo Sate Is The Worst Uni In Nigeria (33989 Views)

Best Private Uni In Africa / Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Releases Post Ume Result. / Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Announces Post Ume Date! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma Edo Sate Is The Worst Uni In Nigeria by theplanmaker: 8:21pm On Jun 09, 2012
Our motto here is "if you can make it here you can make it anywere". We always make d mistake of blaming students for poor academic performance, without considering the hardship we go through. Well ȋ am a 200level medical student (nursing science to be specific).AAU college of medicine has 2 faculties, faculty of basic medical science and faculty of clinical science. Basic medical science has 4 departments, namely medicine, nursing, medical labouratory science, and medical physiology. Each has up to 5levels except medicine dat has d just 3 level here and the other 3 in clinicals. Well d irony of it is that the entire faculty has just 3 classrooms 4 all the departments and levels, which means we have to fight each other for lecture space, and the winner takes all.
Α typical day in AAU colege of medicine begins like this.
We all get to school at 7am, since we do not have A lecture time table we just hope that any lecturer will come. As soon as α lecturer is sighted coming towards the class, everyone starts to rush in to get α good̥ sitting position, because there are only 200 sits for more than five hundred students (all 200level students are combined for classes because there are no lecturers) if you are fortunate you may sit in front and benefit from the lecture, but the less fortunate ones at the back are as good̶̲̥̅ as not being in in the class because they won't hear α single word the annoying lecturer says, since there is no public adress system. Well. Dat is on α Good̥ day. Sometimes we spend the entire day in school without receiving α single lecture, then when you are half way home, α classmate calls you and tells you that α lecturer has come. Considering your transport fair you may choose to forfeit the class (its not like you ll hear anytin, since you ll b at the back) its about 2weeks to our first semester exams, and we are yet to see some lecturers in class. Funny enough my friends it was only this afternoon ȋ̝̊̅ got to know that we had α course called pys 204 (cardiovascular physiology) the lectuer just sold us hand outs to go and read only 2weeks to commencement of exams. Well ȋ̝̊̅ can't read that handout because ȋ̝̊̅ have bought like 6 others to read. How do ȋ̝̊̅ pass pys204?.
The medical council gave the school α quota of 50 students to admit, but because of greed, AAU gas been admiting more than 150 students into medicine, 250 into medical lab science, and 100 into nursing. Each time the council comes for review of acreditation, the authorities lie about the number of students they have. This greedy action has lead to tarnishing the dream of students and frustrating others. Some students cannot write proffesional exams because they are just too many in the class, when the council allows only 50 per section. Some have been stuck in 1 class for 2 to 3 years without knowing if they will even move next year. The medicine students in my level will be spending at least 8yrs in school (that is if everything goes well from now on,) then for those in medical lab sci, the graduating class of 2012 has spent 7years instead of 5. And the set behind them are about 280 in number of which only 50 can sit for the proffesional exams. But how will they prevent the others from writing? The strategy is simple. They fail as many students as possible in 400level ‎​So that they will have an excuse to DELAY them for another year. I̥am in 200level, and my department already has that problem ‎​So do not know when ȋ̝̊̅ will graduate. This problem could be averted if the school sticks to the admission quota they are given. But love of money has blinded the authorities
Structurally, the entire university has only 2 major lecture theaters, while the others are classrooms about the size of α nursery school creche. These buildings Am talking about are like 30 years old, and never been renovated. The hostels are dumpsites, students are stacked like liberian refuges, in small rooms no bigger than α standard cupboard. They have no drainage, ‎​so dirty water from bathrooms and kitchens settle all over the area, the pit toilets are almost colapsing, ‎​So out of fear students result to using buckets and pouls and later emptying them into the toilet. Sometimes they endure weeks without water to bathe or cook. They simply wear nice smelling deordourants and head for classes. An incident took place about 2months ago in α certain female hostel called "kudirat hostel". The well got dried up and students had to endure 5 days without water, after much protest, water finally came at about 8am. Since kudirat was the only hostel with water at that time, students from other hostels rushed to get water before it gets exausted, some climbed on top of the well. In α split second, the well caved in and 7 female students fell in.(The well was decked without rods) They were removed by kind hearted male students, and rushed to α hospital in another town. 2 of the students died, 1 of whom is a 100level student that matriculated a day before the incident, and the other a final year law student. Students thereafter engaged in α peaceful protest, afterwhich the school was closed down for α month. This same kudirat hostel is an old story building, with visible cracks on the wall and decking. In other words it is just waiting to colapse, but then nobody cares as long as they get their fees the school authority coudnt be any less bordered, cos its students that will die.
Did ȋ̝̊̅ mention that we run α semester for only 2 or 3months?.well despite the hurdles and chalenges, AAU still has the best brains in medicine, physiology and law. We have triumped several times in national competitions.
ȋ̝̊̅ know that the standard of education in nigeria is low, expecially in the universities, but trust me ȋ̝̊̅ have asked around and there is no university worse than AAU. It has sunk to α state far lower than any other nigeria university. What is the way out?
Re: Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma Edo Sate Is The Worst Uni In Nigeria by sunch(m): 10:26pm On Jun 09, 2012
My sister, if you lament of the condition you are passing through, what wld student in other institutions say. As same ordeal applys in all nigerian university. The prayer is for you to be able to scale through school, notwithstanding the stress and frustrations. That's why students termed NYSC as 'Now Your Suffering Continues'. So AAU aint only the institution that's making student go through hell.
I wish you all the best in ur academic pursue

1 Like

Re: Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma Edo Sate Is The Worst Uni In Nigeria by Odunnu: 11:56pm On Jun 09, 2012
This is depressing. I didnt go thru this as a Nigerian student. NUC should buckle up what sector shouldnt, anyway? The system is just so bad
Re: Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma Edo Sate Is The Worst Uni In Nigeria by godstino(m): 5:55am On Jun 10, 2012
My friendsmiley seriously, ur topic makes me laff n i cant get u...u r jst on d fence...firstly,u r sayin aau is the worst school in Nigeria(criticism) and next u r say dey have d best brains in medicals(commendation)..do u tink nigerian schools are bed of roses?? Better go read ur handout b4 u start cryin that aau reduced ur score or better still, forfeit ur admission and write utme to come to Oba Awon Univ. I believe by then, u wud be sayin jamb lowered ur score...pple are craving for admision and u are here ranting..
ADVICE:PLS TRY AND CHECK UR TOPIC SPELLINGS B4 PASTING....SHALOM(no offence)
Re: Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma Edo Sate Is The Worst Uni In Nigeria by Murphy7h4: 8:21am On Jun 10, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]very nice!
Re: Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma Edo Sate Is The Worst Uni In Nigeria by ikechukz(m): 9:05am On Jun 10, 2012
No be small thing oo and i hear say na AAU get the highest cult for naija.
Re: Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma Edo Sate Is The Worst Uni In Nigeria by Friday4god: 8:30am On Nov 18, 2012
Not minding those story, aau still remain one of the best medical school because it has been proven in several competition nationaly.

2 Likes

Re: Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma Edo Sate Is The Worst Uni In Nigeria by Sammy107d(m): 10:30am On Nov 18, 2012
A lot of you are so full of ****. Whether or not some students won some competitions against MIT guys, the school is still a shithole. That the other schools are shitholes doesn't excuse this one from being better. That it's hard to gain admission doesn't take away credit from the main point that the school is a shithole that deserves to be egged. And did someone who can't get over sms-language just ask him to check his spelling?

1 Like

Re: Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma Edo Sate Is The Worst Uni In Nigeria by Christine01(f): 12:27am On Nov 19, 2012
@ Poster, I graduated from AAU too. My days I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ that school weren't all rosy but I made the best of every situation. I will advice you to do the same.

You should have invested the time you spent typing this lengthy story on your PYS 204.

2 Likes

Re: Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma Edo Sate Is The Worst Uni In Nigeria by godstino(m): 12:38am On Nov 19, 2012
Sammy107_d: A lot of you are so full of ****. Whether or not some students won some competitions against MIT guys, the school is still a shithole. That the other schools are shitholes doesn't excuse this one from being better. That it's hard to gain admission doesn't take away credit from the main point that the school is a shithole that deserves to be egged. And did someone who can't get over sms-language just ask him to check his spelling?
whats sms-language? I laugh at your ignorance...so schools are now shitholes abi? One vital thing about being human is the ability to adapt to anytin..so if u cant get used to the nigeria educational system then cut the crap and stop using the state of the school as an alibi for your academic failure...afterall, Christine graduated from the said school..
Re: Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma Edo Sate Is The Worst Uni In Nigeria by paullegend1(m): 6:42pm On Feb 13, 2017
ikechukz:
No be small thing oo and i hear say na AAU get the highest cult for naija.
Yes o, I graduated from that school cultism is a norm there.
Re: Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma Edo Sate Is The Worst Uni In Nigeria by Rukkyprecious(f): 4:03pm On Apr 27, 2017
na wa o wat of pple wen dey plan to enter that skul now
Re: Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma Edo Sate Is The Worst Uni In Nigeria by Jesus5656(m): 10:18am On Jun 30, 2018
theplanmaker:
Our motto here is "if you can make it here you can make it anywere". We always make d mistake of blaming students for poor academic performance, without considering the hardship we go through. Well ȋ am a 200level medical student (nursing science to be specific).AAU college of medicine has 2 faculties, faculty of basic medical science and faculty of clinical science. Basic medical science has 4 departments, namely medicine, nursing, medical labouratory science, and medical physiology. Each has up to 5levels except medicine dat has d just 3 level here and the other 3 in clinicals. Well d irony of it is that the entire faculty has just 3 classrooms 4 all the departments and levels, which means we have to fight each other for lecture space, and the winner takes all.
Α typical day in AAU colege of medicine begins like this.
We all get to school at 7am, since we do not have A lecture time table we just hope that any lecturer will come. As soon as α lecturer is sighted coming towards the class, everyone starts to rush in to get α good̥ sitting position, because there are only 200 sits for more than five hundred students (all 200level students are combined for classes because there are no lecturers) if you are fortunate you may sit in front and benefit from the lecture, but the less fortunate ones at the back are as good̶̲̥̅ as not being in in the class because they won't hear α single word the annoying lecturer says, since there is no public adress system. Well. Dat is on α Good̥ day. Sometimes we spend the entire day in school without receiving α single lecture, then when you are half way home, α classmate calls you and tells you that α lecturer has come. Considering your transport fair you may choose to forfeit the class (its not like you ll hear anytin, since you ll b at the back) its about 2weeks to our first semester exams, and we are yet to see some lecturers in class. Funny enough my friends it was only this afternoon ȋ̝̊̅ got to know that we had α course called pys 204 (cardiovascular physiology) the lectuer just sold us hand outs to go and read only 2weeks to commencement of exams. Well ȋ̝̊̅ can't read that handout because ȋ̝̊̅ have bought like 6 others to read. How do ȋ̝̊̅ pass pys204?.
The medical council gave the school α quota of 50 students to admit, but because of greed, AAU gas been admiting more than 150 students into medicine, 250 into medical lab science, and 100 into nursing. Each time the council comes for review of acreditation, the authorities lie about the number of students they have. This greedy action has lead to tarnishing the dream of students and frustrating others. Some students cannot write proffesional exams because they are just too many in the class, when the council allows only 50 per section. Some have been stuck in 1 class for 2 to 3 years without knowing if they will even move next year. The medicine students in my level will be spending at least 8yrs in school (that is if everything goes well from now on,) then for those in medical lab sci, the graduating class of 2012 has spent 7years instead of 5. And the set behind them are about 280 in number of which only 50 can sit for the proffesional exams. But how will they prevent the others from writing? The strategy is simple. They fail as many students as possible in 400level ‎​So that they will have an excuse to DELAY them for another year. I̥am in 200level, and my department already has that problem ‎​So do not know when ȋ̝̊̅ will graduate. This problem could be averted if the school sticks to the admission quota they are given. But love of money has blinded the authorities
Structurally, the entire university has only 2 major lecture theaters, while the others are classrooms about the size of α nursery school creche. These buildings Am talking about are like 30 years old, and never been renovated. The hostels are dumpsites, students are stacked like liberian refuges, in small rooms no bigger than α standard cupboard. They have no drainage, ‎​so dirty water from bathrooms and kitchens settle all over the area, the pit toilets are almost colapsing, ‎​So out of fear students result to using buckets and pouls and later emptying them into the toilet. Sometimes they endure weeks without water to bathe or cook. They simply wear nice smelling deordourants and head for classes. An incident took place about 2months ago in α certain female hostel called "kudirat hostel". The well got dried up and students had to endure 5 days without water, after much protest, water finally came at about 8am. Since kudirat was the only hostel with water at that time, students from other hostels rushed to get water before it gets exausted, some climbed on top of the well. In α split second, the well caved in and 7 female students fell in.(The well was decked without rods) They were removed by kind hearted male students, and rushed to α hospital in another town. 2 of the students died, 1 of whom is a 100level student that matriculated a day before the incident, and the other a final year law student. Students thereafter engaged in α peaceful protest, afterwhich the school was closed down for α month. This same kudirat hostel is an old story building, with visible cracks on the wall and decking. In other words it is just waiting to colapse, but then nobody cares as long as they get their fees the school authority coudnt be any less bordered, cos its students that will die.
Did ȋ̝̊̅ mention that we run α semester for only 2 or 3months?.well despite the hurdles and chalenges, AAU still has the best brains in medicine, physiology and law. We have triumped several times in national competitions.
ȋ̝̊̅ know that the standard of education in nigeria is low, expecially in the universities, but trust me ȋ̝̊̅ have asked around and there is no university worse than AAU. It has sunk to α state far lower than any other nigeria university. What is the way out?
It is well ..08034403341(Dave Wasap )

(1) (Reply)

'Facebook Nursery & Primary School' In Lagos(photo) / Omolei Pelumi Ighoya: WAEC Result Of A Lagos Public Secondary School Student / KBKFoundation To Give N500,000 To Ikekpeazu Chidinma UNN Best Graduating Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.