Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,844 members, 7,806,384 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:36 PM

Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? (100979 Views)

Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps / Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? / Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by oblo(m): 2:13pm On Jun 10, 2012
You are stuck in a desolate place cuz your battery gave up on you in your auto drive 2006 honda accord. U tried all you could but it never could start cuz the battery was too weak to fully crank up the engine. Is there no way that car can be jumpstarted I want opinion from gurus in car tech if there is any way it can be done without any major negative effect on the car. Let's all learn.
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by oblo(m): 4:44am On Jun 12, 2012
.. No one? Siena and co on strike ni?.
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by oblo(m): 4:52am On Jun 12, 2012
Since I did not get no one for now to shed light I went digging and got this off the net.. I have not tried it dou but I intend to to see if its gona work!

"" Contrary to popular belief, you can jump-start an automatic car without jumper-cables.  It’s been documented and I managed to do it in a McDonald’s parking lot in Vallejo, California.  The principles are the same as with a stick shift car:

1)  Again, you will need to roll the car, so find a place and the right bodies to get the car in motion to about 5 miles per hour.

2)  Release the hand-brake and foot-brake, and put the car in second gear.

3)  Once the car gets up to about 5 miles per hour, try starting the car by turning the ignition.

4)  If that doesn’t work, keep the car in second gear and push down the gas as you turn the ignition.

Let me know if you have any trouble!""
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by oblo(m): 4:58am On Jun 12, 2012
I went digging somemore and cameup with another post on ehow contrary to the info I just posted...so now have 2 conflicting stories. So we need the experts here to shed light and tell us which is correct

""Stuck on the road? Jumper cables at home in the garage? If your car won't start you can get it moving with a roll start as a temporary solution. Also known as a push start, roll starting a vehicle is an option for emergencies only, when calling a tow truck or jump starting with battery cables is not an option.

Difficulty:
Moderate
Instructions

Make sure your vehicle has a manual transmission and that the emergency brake is on. A vehicle with automatic transmission can't be roll started. You must have a clutch pedal and be able to put the car in gear yourself. The emergency brake should be on before beginning a roll start. If the emergency brake is off, the car can begin rolling when you don't want it to.

Find help to push the vehicle. Don't attempt to roll start a car by yourself. You need help to push the vehicle up to a velocity that will engage the transmission once it's time to pop the clutch. Make sure the roadway is free of pedestrians and traffic before beginning a roll start.

Turn the key in your ignition to the "on" position. When you turn your key as far as it will go, that is the start position. The "on" position is just before the start position, where your key would naturally land after a normal start.

Take the emergency brake off and begin your roll while holding the clutch in. Make sure the car is in gear. Keep holding the clutch in as you continue rolling. Communicate with your helpers at all times and maintain control of the steering wheel.

Pop the clutch after the vehicle gains enough speed. The car should be in first or second gear. A first gear start will be jerkier than a second gear start the faster you are rolling. Between five and ten mph should be sufficient enough speed kick the transmission in.

If the roll start doesn't work bring the car to a stop by pulling the emergency brake and pressing the brake pedal at the same time. Repeat steps one through five, only this time wait to pop the clutch until you gain a little more velocity. If that doesn't work it's time to call a tow truck.

Tips & Warnings

Only vehicles with manual transmission can be roll started.
Never try to roll start a vehicle alone.
If the roll start doesn't work, bring the car to a stop by pulling the emergency brake and pressing the brake pedal at the same time!!!
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by Exponental(m): 8:40am On Jun 12, 2012
why not pay a battery charger N500 n save urself d stress. u could end up spending more in d course of proving stunts.

3 Likes

Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by Fhemmmy: 2:42pm On Jun 12, 2012
Auto rides do not do a "Push me to Start" thing.
You will need teh jump cable to connect a good battery to your dead battery and one time will respond, however, it means you cant turn off the engine if the battery is really bad, else, you will have to jump start it again. . . and make sure you know the radio code cos you will have to use it to code the radio once you change your battery.

Good luck
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by inspirenet: 2:44pm On Jun 12, 2012
Exponental: why not pay a battery charger N500 n save urself d stress. u could end up spending more in d course of proving stunts.

quite funny
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by niddamugu(m): 2:48pm On Jun 12, 2012
@Oblo: get your facts right. The answer is capital NO. You need a sound battery and alternator always to drive an automatic transmission car. Period!
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by kaiter: 2:49pm On Jun 12, 2012
Good luck[img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by omar22(m): 2:49pm On Jun 12, 2012
Jump Start or Push Start
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jun 12, 2012
Yes you can jump start an automatic car....but you can not push and start an automatic. Anyways Business time i have a 2007 toyota camry (Sedan) RED LE, i don't know what Nigerians call it over there for sale...i don't have the pix on this computer, but i will use my bb and logon. Will edit this post and post some pix later...thanks! These are the pictures...only important buyers! Nairaland please this is not a paid commercial!
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by coalcoal1(m): 2:50pm On Jun 12, 2012
and this "piece" made the front page?
SMH

1 Like

Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by ProfJYK(m): 3:08pm On Jun 12, 2012
OP I don't know how you missed d mischief in the post that says you can. the last line shoulda kicked reality back in.

1 Like

Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jun 12, 2012
Exponental: why not pay a battery charger N500 n save urself d stress. u could end up spending more in d course of proving stunts.
did read d original post? I guess u didn't. It says '...stuck in a desolate place...'.
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by ukpaku: 3:22pm On Jun 12, 2012
omar22: Jump Start or Push Start
push start or push and start

1 Like

Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by adisarasaq(m): 3:25pm On Jun 12, 2012
Sure you can jump start your automatic vehicles, that's what we do to most of the vehicles we clear from the port.
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by Yorisb: 3:27pm On Jun 12, 2012
adisarasaq: Sure you can jump start your automatic vehicles, that's what we do to most of the vehicles we clear from the port.

I' sure he meant ''push and start''? undecided
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by Yorisb: 3:28pm On Jun 12, 2012
[size=1pt].[/size]
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jun 12, 2012
ukpaku: push start or push and start
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by Yorisb: 3:29pm On Jun 12, 2012
Yorisb:

I'm sure he meant ''push and start''? undecided
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by zoogy2007: 3:30pm On Jun 12, 2012
You can 'jump start' any car but you cannot 'push start' a car with automatic transmission.
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by Yorisb: 3:31pm On Jun 12, 2012
@Seun

Why the duplicative post(s)?
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jun 12, 2012
Why can't i upload pix to Nairaland from my phone? I said earlier that i would, but now i am trying, but it is not working at all!
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by princeonx: 3:46pm On Jun 12, 2012
Yes you can! But can not push automatic trying to start it
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by Lakasigbe(m): 3:48pm On Jun 12, 2012
Yeah u can jump start any car if it s only battery,bt mind u + 2+ and - 2 -. Dnt make mistake
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jun 12, 2012
oblo: I went digging somemore and cameup with another post on ehow contrary to the info I just posted...so now have 2 conflicting stories. So we need the experts here to shed light and tell us which is correct

""Stuck on the road? Jumper cables at home in the garage? If your car won't start you can get it moving with a roll start as a temporary solution. Also known as a push start, roll starting a vehicle is an option for emergencies only, when calling a tow truck or jump starting with battery cables is not an option.

Difficulty:
Moderate
Instructions

Make sure your vehicle has a manual transmission and that the emergency brake is on. A vehicle with automatic transmission can't be roll started. You must have a clutch pedal and be able to put the car in gear yourself. The emergency brake should be on before beginning a roll start. If the emergency brake is off, the car can begin rolling when you don't want it to.

Find help to push the vehicle. Don't attempt to roll start a car by yourself. You need help to push the vehicle up to a velocity that will engage the transmission once it's time to pop the clutch. Make sure the roadway is free of pedestrians and traffic before beginning a roll start.

Turn the key in your ignition to the "on" position. When you turn your key as far as it will go, that is the start position. The "on" position is just before the start position, where your key would naturally land after a normal start.

Take the emergency brake off and begin your roll while holding the clutch in. Make sure the car is in gear. Keep holding the clutch in as you continue rolling. Communicate with your helpers at all times and maintain control of the steering wheel.

Pop the clutch after the vehicle gains enough speed. The car should be in first or second gear. A first gear start will be jerkier than a second gear start the faster you are rolling. Between five and ten mph should be sufficient enough speed kick the transmission in.

If the roll start doesn't work bring the car to a stop by pulling the emergency brake and pressing the brake pedal at the same time. Repeat steps one through five, only this time wait to pop the clutch until you gain a little more velocity. If that doesn't work it's time to call a tow truck.

Tips & Warnings

Only vehicles with manual transmission can be roll started.
Never try to roll start a vehicle alone.
If the roll start doesn't work, bring the car to a stop by pulling the emergency brake and pressing the brake pedal at the same time!!!

@OP, all these to roll start a manual tranny vehicle...Lol.
All u need to do is disengage the hand brake, shift the stick to gear two,
make sure the ignition is on,
place your foot on the clutch, push and once it starts moving with a considerable speed, quickly take your foot off the clutch and place your foot on the accelerator. Car engine starts, shift stick to neutral and apply hand brake.

and NO, you can't roll start an auto tranny vehicle if that's what you meant.

1 Like

Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by myfriend1(m): 3:59pm On Jun 12, 2012
you can Jumpstart your automatic vehicle the same way like manual. with a vehicle that has a good battery.
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by Pat98: 4:35pm On Jun 12, 2012
UncleDumo: Yes you can jump start an automatic car....but you can not push and start an automatic. Anyways Business time i have a 2007 toyota camry (Sedan) RED LE, i don't know what Nigerians call it over there for sale...i don't have the pix on this computer, but i will use my bb and logon.

Its called BIG FOR NOTHING!!
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by LordReed(m): 5:22pm On Jun 12, 2012
Pat98:

Its called BIG FOR NOTHING!!

WRONG! 2007-2011 Camry is called Muscle while the 2003-2006 is called Big For Nothing
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by Akainzo(m): 5:27pm On Jun 12, 2012
Contrary to popular belief, you can ACTUALLY jump start a car equipped with an Automatic Gear shift System!

It however needs for you to meet some almost impossible feat. That guy that claimed 5m/h is very much wrong, you would need a minimum of 40km/h speed before an automatic car can start from its gears. If this speed seems impossible, also think of the fact that most automatic would have their brakes almost irresponsive when the engine is off. Thus you need an almost straight road and the build of a horse, or get a steep slope to do it on.

For the records, I have actually jump started an automatic before while on a journey to Kaduna.
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by coded777: 5:46pm On Jun 12, 2012
Jump? To where? Inglish sha
Re: Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? by Exponental(m): 6:01pm On Jun 12, 2012
MManuel:
did read d original post? I guess u didn't. It says '...stuck in a desolate place...'.
d point is, dont try to be creative from wat wasnt initially designed. @ desolate places, borrow a battery, jumpstart from anoda cars battery or u park n come next time to resolve d issue.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Innoson Vehicles Releases New Models Of Vehicle / Fastest Speed You Have Ever Driven: Car, Place, Time? / What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.