Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,890 members, 7,806,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

M.K.O Abiola And June 12 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / M.K.O Abiola And June 12 (16355 Views)

Photo: Late M.K.O. Abiola In His Youthful Age / Photo Of MKO Abiola And Dele Alake After 1993 Elections / MKO And June 12 Celebrated Only By Yorubas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by ponana(m): 4:13am On Jun 12, 2012
It's that time of the year again when the Nigeria as whole reminisce on the first democratic election in the country. This is the major event that brought M.K.O into the spotlight and it also serves as the only story that we as Nigerians all know and accept as being the memories we have of Chief M.K.O.

But asides from June 12, whatelse do we know about this man? A lot of stories and hearsay have being passed around concerning the acclaimed winner of the June 12 1993 presidential election winner. Please nobody should get me wrong, I am not trying to discredit or say bad stuffs about the Late M.K.O but I feel we really need to know who this man is. Was he like's of them Gandi, Nkrumah, Mandela, Martin Luther and other people who fought for the people selflessly or was he someone who while fighting for his pocket got caught up in the people's affair and decided to help or was he a bad guy trying to turn a new leave.

You guys should please avoid insulting the man and say the facts about what you know about Chief M.K.O so that we can ascertain " the labours of our hero past" (according to the national anthem) and maybe get a reason or two to tell the Unilag student to stop protesting.
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by ponana(m): 6:49am On Jun 12, 2012
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 12, 2012
June 12 has come to stay. It's in our consciousness forever.

1 Like

Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by edub45(m): 9:27am On Jun 12, 2012
MKO won an election and was denied, thats it! An example of a freedom fighter was FELA. He should be on the map. Abi no be so?!

1 Like

Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by ifihearam: 9:28am On Jun 12, 2012
We should not use insult but you gave us an option to either talk good or bad. So what do you expect from those who wants to talk ill of him..
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Joey82(m): 9:30am On Jun 12, 2012
@op

I dont get it when u say Abiola's election was the first democratic election,
hw about the elections that ushered in the first and second republic, were they 'militaric' elections?
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Nobody: 9:30am On Jun 12, 2012
No matter what anybody thinks or says about Abiola,he will always be acknowledged for standing and dying for his mandate despite the military oppression in the hands of Banagida and Abacha.His death changed the course of Nigeria politics and he will always be remembered for winning the freest election in the history of Nigeria.Those that killed you and kudirat will one day own up to their crime.Continue to rest in peace Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola,the last Are Onakakanfo of Yorubaland !

2 Likes

Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by miteolu(m): 9:31am On Jun 12, 2012
Nigeria is a big country. Now, if we continue to give special recognition to all heroes like public holidays. It will get to certain point where at least in a week there will be public holiday for each of the heroes passed.

1 Like

Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by moderatorr: 9:31am On Jun 12, 2012
why did the Yorubas riot against Abiola's legacy (renaming of UNILAG)?
Its just like having the igbos riot against the renaming of UNN to Odumegwu Ojukwu University.
Its unimaginable.
No point idolizing him after mudding his name.
My opinion though.
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by vykte(m): 9:32am On Jun 12, 2012
a sh.it wolf in sheep clothing...
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Silva79(f): 9:35am On Jun 12, 2012
12 days after june 12 i was born,d most important day in my life...lol
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by edicolove: 9:37am On Jun 12, 2012
June 12 is dead and buried. It was killed by ACN rioters on the 29th and 30th of May. May its soul rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Nobody: 9:37am On Jun 12, 2012
moderatorr: why did the Yorubas riot against Abiola's legacy (renaming of UNILAG)?
Its just like having the igbos riot against the renaming of UNN to Odumegwu Ojukwu University.
Its unimaginable.
No point idolizing him after mudding his name.
My opinion though.

If humans can disagree about God,who is Abiola ? People are free to express their opinions but it doesnt change the fact on ground !

2 Likes

Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by sadyeek(m): 9:38am On Jun 12, 2012
[size=16pt]so?
Can we please move on and forget this, "if this had happend mentality!"
What makes you guys think abiola would have done any better, 1999 nigeria was definately not ready for democracy, do you think in 1992 they would have been?

Please people let's focus on how to make nigeria a better place with future issuse and stop bickering about the past.

Its things like this that makes me think that the coke ad was actually correct and not insultive

"While the rest of the world worry about the future, 1 billion africans share a coke"
[/size]

1 Like

Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by MrGlobe(m): 9:40am On Jun 12, 2012
I join in solidarity with 'my friends' on this day as stated and illustrated here www.nairaland.com/961851/happy-democracy-Yoruba-friends

However I must emphasize the june 12 result was never announced so it should never be a basis or foundation for our democracy.. All blames should go to IBB for aborting the election said to be free and fair. Nobody should force june 12 on us. We have moved on. If you have any problems or request, direct it at IBB
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Nobody: 9:40am On Jun 12, 2012
sadyeek: [size=16pt]so?
Can we please move on and forget this, "if this had happend mentality!"
What makes you guys think abiola would have done any better, 1999 nigeria was definately not ready for democracy, do you think in 1992 they would have been?

Please people let's focus on how to make nigeria a better place with future issuse and stop bickering about the past.

Its things like this that makes me think that the coke ad was actually correct and not insultive

"While the rest of the world worry about the future, 1 billion africans share a coke"
[/size]

As if your stu*pid opinion counts.
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by megxo(m): 9:41am On Jun 12, 2012
somof GEJ's 10 pointless agendas
1. Uniports to be renamed Patience Jonathan University (PEJU)
2. UniIlorin >> Abdul Karim Adisa Memorial University (AKAMU) Ilorin.
3. UniJos >> Yakubu Gowon University (YAGO)
4. Ogun State University >> Gbenga Daniel University(GBEDANU)
5. Dieziani Alison Maduekwe School of Education (DAMSEL)
6. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala School of Economics (NOISE)
7. Niger Delta University >> Mujaheed Asari Dokubo Middle Age Novitiate(MAD MAN)
8. NIPSS >> Centre for Reuben Abati's Private Political Yarns (CRAPPY)
9. Plateau State polytechnic is now Brother LAbaran Maku Elementary School (BLAMES)
Last but not the least,
10. Sanusi Lamido Institute for Commercial Education (SLICE).

12 Likes

Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by fredoooooo: 9:42am On Jun 12, 2012
on the match again (x2)
looking for our president o
on the match again
M.K.O is our man o
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Afrocatalyst: 9:42am On Jun 12, 2012
Abiola in anyway cannot be equated with the likes of Gandhi or Mandela who sacrificed wholeheartedly for their nations, though a good man. He was more of a businessman seeking more wealth making avenues and then got caught up in the people's affairs. I respect him though cos he would have chosen to quit along the line n face his business. I still believe he would have lived longer if he were wise in his decisions. He who fights and run, lives to fight another day. But in the nearest future, I still see him stand tall as one of the bravest our dear nation has got cos our current leaders are going the way of stone age men. We need a mandela too here in Naija and I dnt see Jona, baba, Baha'i, Atiku, Okotie, Utomi, IBB, Tinubu, or any of the present breed of thieves becoming one. Just thinking though.

1 Like

Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Delafruita(m): 9:42am On Jun 12, 2012
june 12 is not all we nigerians know about abiola.it isnt what gave him national prominence.abiola had for long been active in the public sphere.he is believed to have sponsored the coup that brought babangida to power.he alienated himself from the power brokers in the southwest when he aligned with the shagari led NPN.not only that,his newspaper was used to openly criticise and ridicule the opposition notably the likes of baba awo.abiola was never in the opposition and in my opinion was made into a matyr by june 12.a lot of people dont remember the underlying factors that led to the emergence of abiola.ordinarily,abiola would never have been a candidate and even if he became one,wouldnt have won if the field was thrown open.people say june 12 is the freest and fairest ever but those people wont say that the process that led to the election was the most undemocratic ever.it was as if babangida wrote a script that had to be followed.first he barred a long list of people from contesting or even joining political parties.then he insisted only two parties be allowed.i have nothing against abiola or his legacy in charity,sports or even polygamy but when it comes to june 12,its more about what the day meant than man.if abiola were alive in this democratic dispensation,he'd be one of the biggest PDP bigots.

1 Like

Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Delafruita(m): 9:42am On Jun 12, 2012
june 12 is not all we nigerians know about abiola.it isnt what gave him national prominence.abiola had for long been active in the public sphere.he is believed to have sponsored the coup that brought babangida to power.he alienated himself from the power brokers in the southwest when he aligned with the shagari led NPN.not only that,his newspaper was used to openly criticise and ridicule the opposition notably the likes of baba awo.abiola was never in the opposition and in my opinion was made into a matyr by june 12.a lot of people dont remember the underlying factors that led to the emergence of abiola.ordinarily,abiola would never have been a candidate and even if he became one,wouldnt have won if the field was thrown open.people say june 12 is the freest and fairest ever but those people wont say that the process that led to the election was the most undemocratic ever.it was as if babangida wrote a script that had to be followed.first he barred a long list of people from contesting or even joining political parties.then he insisted only two parties be allowed.i have nothing against abiola or his legacy in charity,sports or even polygamy but when it comes to june 12,its more about what the day meant than man.if abiola were alive in this democratic dispensation,he'd be one of the biggest PDP bigots.

1 Like

Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by pat077: 9:43am On Jun 12, 2012
Silva79: 12 days after june 12 i was born,d most important day in my life...lol
11 days before june 12 u registered on nairaland, anoda important day in ur life...lol

1 Like

Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by ebamma(m): 9:43am On Jun 12, 2012
atleast M K O ABIOLA died fighting for wat was rightfully his,and didn't back down even when his life and dat of his family was in danger,how many of us,could have been man enough to do same.
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Simba757(m): 9:43am On Jun 12, 2012
Every part of this country is marginalised – one way or another.
As for the hypocritical noise about June 12 and ‘DEMOCRACY’, it is clear that as far as reason and reflection is concerned, the South-West were rightfully compensated with EIGHT UNINTERRUPTED years of DEMOCRATIC presidency under OBJ – who happens to also come from the same state as M.K.O. (Ogun state). So I wonder how else the compensation would have been.
This continuous suffocation of the polity with the ghost of June 12 is just pathetic. Not to mention the questionable wealth and ideology of the late M.K.O Abiola himself.
I think our dear yoruba brothers should rather be asking themselves what they did or FAILED to do for themselves with eight uninterrupted years in power (the longest under democracy since independence).
If REASON must prevail against pathetic sentiments, then it is clear that Nigeria has innocently washed her hands off whatever happened on June .12 .1993.
We as ONE NIGERIA should fight to protect our seemingly precarious posterity in the dangers we face today thereby giving our children a perfect society at birth instead of opening the cankerworms of an irrelevant past.

1 Like

Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 12, 2012
i was just 13yrs old wen the freest and fairest election was held in nigeria. i rmbrd the tension that arose after the cancellation of the election which prompted may igbos to flee lagos and the north(oso abiola). i did loose 2 of my cousins in an accident! MKO will never be forgotten for his immense contribution to democracy. did i 4get mentioning abiola rice, abiola bread,abiola sugar..........?
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Nobody: 9:46am On Jun 12, 2012
Afrocatalyst: Abiola in anyway cannot be equated with the likes of Gandhi or Mandela who sacrificed wholeheartedly for their nations, though a good man. He was more of a businessman seeking more wealth making avenues and then got caught up in the people's affairs. I respect him though cos he would have chosen to quit along the line n face his business. I still believe he would have lived longer if he were wise in his decisions. He who fights and run, lives to fight another day. But in the nearest future, I still see him stand tall as one of the bravest our dear nation has got cos our current leaders are going the way of stone age men. We need a mandela too here in Naija and I dnt see Jona, baba, Baha'i, Atiku, Okotie, Utomi, IBB, Tinubu, or any of the present breed of thieves becoming one. Just thinking though.

So a businessman cant rule a country ?
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Opoki(m): 9:46am On Jun 12, 2012
ponana: It's that time of the year again when the Nigeria as whole reminisce on the first democratic election in the country. This is the major event that brought M.K.O into the spotlight and it also serves as the only story that we as Nigerians all know and accept as being the memories we have of Chief M.K.O.

But asides from June 12, whatelse do we know about this man? A lot of stories and hearsay have being passed around concerning the acclaimed winner of the June 12 1993 presidential election winner. Please nobody should get me wrong, I am not trying to discredit or say bad stuffs about the Late M.K.O but I feel we really need to know who this man is. Was he like's of them Gandi, Nkrumah, Mandela, Martin Luther and other people who fought for the people selflessly or was he someone who while fighting for his pocket got caught up in the people's affair and decided to help or was he a bad guy trying to turn a new leave.

You guys should please avoid insulting the man and say the facts about what you know about Chief M.K.O so that we can ascertain " the labours of our hero past" (according to the national anthem) and maybe get a reason or two to tell the Unilag student to stop protesting.

@Bolded: he is the chairman of ITT and believe Fela, a saddist philosopher who never like anyone in government/power so he sang a song referring to Moshood (MKO) as International Thief Thief meaning he's no saint/different. I also think MKO should have been alive if he was believing in the power of many who gave him the mandate (Nigerians); My though was he believed Nigerians and Yorubas especially will press for his release if arrested but that never happened! Probably if we Yorubas stood up and the Biafrans rose up probably a revolution might happened then and maybe issues like BH bombing/terrorism wouldn't ave been happening now!
Conclusively, i remembered the mammoth crowd @ MMA shortly after the election welcoming MKO and chanting praises song so as to declear himself, he did and was left to his faith!
Note: as long as NL is a public forum, i'm entitled to my opinion but you can criticize wisely without any insult!
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by sadyeek(m): 9:47am On Jun 12, 2012
~Bluetooth:

As if your stu*pid opinion counts.

[size=16pt]please remind me why yours do?[/size]
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Samoo01: 9:48am On Jun 12, 2012
With subsidized groceries prices back in 1992/93, it was absolutely ostensible that Mr. Abiola tried, and succeeded, in seducing Nigerians to vote for him. It was the climax of money politics unprecedented in the history of our Republic. Then he went ahead to declare himself POTFRON without deference to the chief electoral officer, albeit a coward, but doesn't matter. He should have exercise patience. It was nothing shut of treason. More reason why the June 12 is much of a tribal affair as anything else in the country since Civil War.

From his absolute fraud in the private sector, see: Abiola, ITT affair, circa 1970s, to his hanky panky in religious politics, MKO Abiola was a poster child for everything that is wrong with Nigeria, even till today.

I'm not trying to exonerate General Babangida, whom I believe deserve even a worse fate than Abiola, but so be it if some people think I am. My position against Abiola is bound to becloud the rational judgement a lot of people would have otherwise made, anyway. I am as Yoruba as anyone can possibly be.

June 12, 1993, a day that would forever live in infamy, for Nigerians.
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by patwilly(m): 9:50am On Jun 12, 2012
You all are going off topic.the subject of this thread demands that we analyse carefully and critically the nature of the man M.k.o Abiola,his person,character,beliefs,philosophy.this is not about what he fought for or how he was wrongfully denied of his mandate..we all know that. Rather, we should ask ourselves whether he was the man who would have brought succour to the masses OR whether he would have been like others before and after him i.e.those who set their personal intrest first before that of the state and in one way or the other were slaves to Godfatherism,corruption,tribalism etc.these i think we should concentrate on.
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 12, 2012
Simba757: Every part of this country is marginalised – one way or another.
As for the hypocritical noise about June 12 and ‘DEMOCRACY’, it is clear that as far as reason and reflection is concerned, the South-West were rightfully compensated with EIGHT UNINTERRUPTED years of DEMOCRATIC presidency under OBJ – who happens to also come from the same state as M.K.O. (Ogun state). So I wonder how else the compensation would have been.
This continuous suffocation of the polity with the ghost of June 12 is just pathetic.[s] Not to mention the questionable wealth and ideology of the late M.K.O Abiola himself.[/s]
I think our dear yoruba brothers should rather be asking themselves what they did or FAILED to do for themselves with eight uninterrupted years in power (the longest under democracy since independence).
If REASON must prevail against pathetic sentiments, then it is clear that Nigeria has innocently washed her hands off whatever happened on June .12 .1993.
We as ONE NIGERIA should fight to protect our seemingly precarious posterity in the dangers we face today thereby giving our children a perfect society at birth instead of opening the cankerworms of an irrelevant past.

I'm sick and tired of hearing this ITT bullshit conspiracy.Abiola was never indicted,arrested,prosecuted or jailed for corruption.The whole ITT stuff was theory of Fela who fell out with Abiola,his one time music producer.
Re: M.K.O Abiola And June 12 by Nobody: 9:51am On Jun 12, 2012

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Insecurity: North Under Siege, Elders Cry Out / Tochukwu Ugwumba Resigns In Imo, Says He’s Ashamed Of Uzodinma’s Performance / 2023: Sani Yerima Declares For President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.