Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,698 members, 7,802,064 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:36 AM

Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller (30412 Views)

Dana Air Flight ‎537 Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen – A Passenger’s Ordeal. / Dana Air-crash Memorial Arcade (Pictures) / Has Anyone Traveled From London To Lagos With Air Morocco? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by cuteprinz(m): 2:20pm On Jun 12, 2012
God knws better. Pity!
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by seyigirl(f): 2:21pm On Jun 12, 2012
obongtunji: I couldn't hold myself from crying as I type this. So the Pilot really battled with the plane, I wonder how the passengers will be reacting moment before the crash, looking at death knocking. May their soul rest in peace.......lop

Yes I agree wit u may dia soul rest in perfect peace ah so sadden
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by TheShopKeeper(m): 2:37pm On Jun 12, 2012
muffins99:

As you said, your comment is one of ignorance. Planes are machines and anything can go wrong, including dual engine failure. All you need is a series of events which on their own will not result in major problems but when combined will result in devastating consequences. Although very rare, dual engine failure can happen if the jet runs out of fuel, the pipes are blocked or the fuel pump is faulty. However, as Jakumo said, the plane can continue to fly (or glide) albeit at slower speed and lower altitude, depending on the glide ratio e.g for every mile of altitude, it can glide x amount of miles/km. The only thing a plane needs to fly is airspeed but without engines, speed is usually maintained at lower altitude so in this case, the plane will have descended to maintain speed and also to line up with the runway. The plane's glide ratio probably fell short of the runway and it's uunfortunate that there were tall buildings in the area because otherwise, the plane could have landed on a flat piece of land, probably the worst result is that the tires will snap, the plane skids and passangers are thrown around and will be badly bruised.

Your response is very insightful, however like others have posted, I can't still imagine a 'dual-engine' failure between two cities of less than 2 hours flying time apart. The two engines may have developed serious faults due to negligence and little or no serviceable procedures. From the information on detailed, it shows the aircraft is not well maintained and as someone rightly put, it is a flying coffin. If this is the case, then Dana Air has a lot to answer for!!!

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jun 12, 2012
Though I know nothing about flying plane and landing one, but one thing I know is that, this report id probably a cover up, I'd ask some questions here, what time did the plane take off from Abuja, what time did it crash? The time frame would determine what really happened, I heard a rumor about our private jet delaying all planes for 2hrs before landing, if this is so, then the person in the jet should face trial. If a plane could make it all the way from Abuja to Iju, then it would definitely make it into the airport and land anyhow but would not have crashed the way it did.

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by manny4life(m): 2:48pm On Jun 12, 2012
floriana: Is Jakumo an aviator, an aeronautics engineer or what?

My bet is that he's probably an airline pilot who probably has type rating on the MD family airplanes grin grin grin

Good job, Mr. Jakumo, I like reading your responses

@topic, whatever has happened, already did. We often wish we can turn back the hands of time, as for the deceased, cry cry cry they're resting in a peaceful place awaiting the judgment of their wicked and lousy owners.
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by mart2k(m): 3:01pm On Jun 12, 2012
Abdul Adam56: It has happened what are they confirmin?Dat is how God want it,may there soul rest in peace.
muslim mentality

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by vanstanzy(m): 3:01pm On Jun 12, 2012
youngies: "Good day!” These were the last two words the courageous pilot told air traffic controllers before the Dana Air flight 0992 crashed into a residential building in Iju-Ishaga, Lagos, killing all the 153 people on board and 10 people on ground on Sunday, June 3, 2012.

The transcription of the last conversation between the air traffic controller and the crew revealed that the pilots did everything to land the aircraft safely on Runway 18 Right of the Murtala Muhammed Airport.

The recording, a copy of which was obtained exclusively from a top official of the Ministry of Aviation on Monday by our correspondent, showed that the flight crew did not lose hope even up till the last second before the aircraft crashed.

The crew had believed the aircraft would make it to Runway 18R of the Lagos airport.

The transcription revealed that the aircraft had indeed lost its two engines, shortly after which the pilot declared an emergency.

This revelation is, however, contrary to the view of Dana Air’s Director of Flight Operations, Captain Oscar Wason, who had said it would be premature to conclude that aircraft lost its two engines.

Wason claimed that there was nothing to indicate that the pilot told the air traffic controller that the two engines of the aircraft had been lost.

The transcription revealed that the pilot told the controller he had “dual engine failure.”

Apart from having dual engine failure, the pilot also told the air traffic controller that he had “negative response from the throttle.”

Overall, the transcription revealed that the airplane was in a very devastating condition.

This explains why it was said to have descended very fast shortly after the pilot declared emergency, saying, “May Day, May Day”

Air traffic controllers, who spoke to our correspondent under condition of anonymity because they were not allowed to comment on the matter, confirmed that the aircraft descended very fast.

The video recording of the radar also revealed that the aircraft pilot declared emergency at about 5,000 feet above the sea level.

It further revealed that the ill-fated Boeing McDonell Douglass-83 plane disappeared from the radar at about 800 feet above the sea level.

The recording, however, confirmed Wason’s claim that the pilot of the ill-fated plane never spoke with air traffic controllers in the Control Tower.

Rather, the pilot spoke with ATCs in the radar control room of the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency, which is also located at the airport.

The recording also revealed that the pilot was handed over to the ATCs in the Control Tower, but he never had a chance to speak with them before the crash.
From the recording, the last words the pilot told the radar control unit was, “1181, good day,” in response to some information he had received from the ATC on duty.

The ATC had told him to contact the Control Tower on frequency 1181. The pilot, who had declared emergency to the ATCs in the radar control room, replied, “1181 good day,” meaning he had got the information.

According to ATCs, “good day” is the usual parlance they and pilots use in signing off from a conversation.

From his accent, it was obvious he was the Indian co-pilot, Mr. Mahendra Roathore, who spoke with the ATCs during the last minutes of the tragic flight.

The pilot, an American, Captain Peter Waxtan, was said to have been busy, struggling to keep the aircraft in flight, while the co-pilot spoke with the ATCs.

Below is the word-for-word account of the conversation between the crew of the ill-fated plane and the ATC on duty.

Co-pilot: “Lagos Tower, Dana code 0992!”

ATC: “Dana Code 0992, this is Lagos radar, go ahead!”

Co-pilot: “May Day! May Day! May Day! Dana code 0992 Five November Romeo Alpha Mike! (5N-RAM) dual engine failure!”

ATC: “Dana Code 0992, read me?”

Co-pilot: “I read you five by five! Dual engine failure! Negative response from throttle! Requesting for direct straight approach!”

ATC: “Alright, position it one mile to touch down, Runway 18R! Contact tower now on 1181!”

Co-pilot: “1181 Good day!”

Unfortunately, the crew never spoke with the control tower. The aircraft crashed into the residential building a few seconds after this discussion.

More: http://channelkoos.com/index.php/news/1753-dana-air-pilots-last-conversations-with-air-traffic-controller

[b]Let all know this, that this plane crash and the subsequent deaths of the persons within and without was caused by our "I DON'T CARE ATTITUDE" as a people. Just consider the bolded paragraphs above, so in a space of between 5000feets - 800feets = 4,200feets, nothing was done to salvage the situation instead the Air Traffic Controller was busy playing ping-pong with a plane in distress, HOW HEARTLESS!. He could have alerted the relevant authorities himself, but didn't. Our emergency team in this state should equally get a knock for what transpired. I learnt that the plane was on ground for close to twenty minutes before it bust into flames. Instead on-lookers just cramped round the plane to view the spectacle and grab whatever they could. WONDERS SHALL NEVER CEASE!
We are paying for our high-level corruption in this country of ours, believe it or not. Its bitter but truth be told that situations like this will keep happening to this country until we learn. I JUST HOPE WE LEARN SOONER THAN LATER!cry cry cry[/b]

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by true2god: 3:07pm On Jun 12, 2012
Jakumo: Dual engine failure does indeed mean BOTH engines "flamed out", or stopped running, as the aircraft descended through 5 thousand feet, about a mile above ground. Aircraft of the MD80 family are notorious for being overly sensitive to excessive throttle inputs, such as "fire-walling" the levers to full 95% N1 throttle power so much as a moment too early during takeoff, which could EASILY trigger dual compressor stall and engine failure at dangerously low altitudes. Compounding that flaw, the tail-heavy nature of all jets with tail-mounted engines greatly reduces their un-powered glide capabilities, and they will drop like a brick from the sky at airspeeds still capable of keeping aloft jets with wing-mounted engines.

In the catastrophic instance of simultaneous left and right engine failures , the jet becomes an un-powered glider, that can ONLY then make a safe landing IF the airport runway lies within range of the very steep descent path that will be taken by the pilot, so as to maintain airspeed and prevent a stall. If the destination airport lies BEYOND the distance that the un-powered jet can glide, there will be a crash at some point before the runway threshold, the severity of which will vary with the terrain encountered, the speed at impact, and the attitude of the aircraft at impact.
Pls always simplify ur explanation for a layman to understand. We r not in aeronautic school. Maybe u can give a clearer and better xplanattn to dis.
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by ibrash600: 3:11pm On Jun 12, 2012
buzugee: thats how i know the pilot was not nigerian. if the pilot was nigerian his last words to air traffick control will be ' mogbeooooooooooooo egbamiiiiiiiiii ooooooooooooooo motikerannnnnnnnn yeapaaaaaaaaaaripaaaaaaa. mokuoooooooooo heleppppp me pleaseeeee ejoooooooooooo '

they are all in a better place at rest ( ecclesiastes 12 vs 7 )
u fit kil person wit laff

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by roqrules04(m): 3:20pm On Jun 12, 2012
D dead will alwyz b blame 4 his or her Death... Dunno y some membrs r putting d blame on d Pilot.
I blive dey are all destined to die dat way..!
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by derbywarls(m): 3:21pm On Jun 12, 2012
buzugee: thats how i know the pilot was not nigerian. if the pilot was nigerian his last words to air traffick control will be ' mogbeooooooooooooo egbamiiiiiiiiii ooooooooooooooo motikerannnnnnnnn yeapaaaaaaaaaaripaaaaaaa. mokuoooooooooo heleppppp me pleaseeeee ejoooooooooooo '

grin

rotfl
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by neyyo: 3:26pm On Jun 12, 2012
zylla: Some questions need to be asked: Why is it that it was the radar ATC that the pilot could talk to and why not the control tower's ATC?
I hope we get some answers to this and other pertinent questions...

Aircrafts can reach Radar frequency anywhere within the Nigerian Airspace(thxs to the just deployed Radar coverage by the ministry of Aviation; which means the days of missing Aircrafts in our airspace maybe over) but can only reach Lagos ATC or any other state's ATC only when within the that ATC's airspace(coverage area)! So the pilot had to be handed over or switched to the Lagos ATC by the radar ATC when they felt he was within range. Understood?

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by vanstanzy(m): 3:29pm On Jun 12, 2012

Guy this is not a joking matter please.
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by collinsJn(m): 3:33pm On Jun 12, 2012
Abdul Adam56: It has happened what are they confirmin? DAT IS HOW GOD WANT IT,may there soul rest in peace.

SHUT UP,WHO TOLD U THAT IS HOW GOD WANTS It. MAY BE U HAVEN'T HEARD THAT EVERY GOOD AND PERFECT GIVES COMES FROM THE LORD.
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by vanstanzy(m): 3:38pm On Jun 12, 2012
neyyo:

Aircrafts can reach Radar frequency anywhere within the Nigerian Airspace(thxs to the just deployed Radar coverage by the ministry of Aviation; which means the days of missing Aircrafts in our airspace maybe over) but can only reach Lagos ATC or any other state's ATC only when within the that ATC's airspace(coverage area)! So the pilot had to be handed over or switched to the Lagos ATC by the radar ATC when they felt he was within range. Understood?

This's a plane in distress why the handing-over ceremony? It was obvious to the ATC that this plane had lost all its engines in the air and was going to plunge to the ground. What were they hoping that miraculously some angels would suspend the plane in the air? Why did the radar ATC or so, handle this emergency issue? People could have been saved if only they had taken up that responsibility then.
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by manny4life(m): 3:38pm On Jun 12, 2012
true2god: Pls always simplify ur explanation for a layman to understand. We r not in aeronautic school. Maybe u can give a clearer and better xplanattn to dis.

He already explained it in layman terms for you, what is it that you did not understand?
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by oluagness(m): 3:42pm On Jun 12, 2012
Sorry.
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by Nasri100(m): 3:49pm On Jun 12, 2012
Co-pilot: “I read you five by five! Dual engine failure! Negative response from throttle! Requesting for direct straight approach!”

can somebody explain the line Requesting for direct straight approach??

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by myfriend1(m): 3:49pm On Jun 12, 2012
with utmost trust i did not believe that the accident was caused by the pilot, since plane can develop fault at anytime, i strongly beilieve that landing emergency place at iju is not in good condition for the plane to land please confirm the landing place at iju and the condition. thanks.

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by manny4life(m): 3:58pm On Jun 12, 2012
Nasri100: Co-pilot: “I read you five by five! Dual engine failure! Negative response from throttle! Requesting for direct straight approach!”

can somebody explain the line Requesting for direct straight approach??

Go to flight school so they can explain it for you. grin grin grin grin
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by begwong: 4:08pm On Jun 12, 2012

kai i ran out of tears while laughing when reading your nigerian pilot's version of a MAY DAY call grin grin grin
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by begwong: 4:12pm On Jun 12, 2012
hardleyC: May their departed souls rest in perfect peace.

***thinking aloud****
like a poster rightly said, i can only imagine what went on in their minds:
the commotion,mother clinging tightly to her children,husband holding wife
and saying their last prayers,atheist wishing he had believed GOD,chics & babes forgetting their "tushness" and crying,screaming! OMG! Lord have mercy! what a horible terrible way to die!

God knows best.
hehehehheeh @ the bolded grin grin
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by toughbobo: 4:25pm On Jun 12, 2012
Abdul Adam56: It has happened what are they confirmin?Dat is how God want it,may there soul rest in peace.

Which God are you referring to? shocked embarassed lipsrsealed undecided cry
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by dulaman: 4:25pm On Jun 12, 2012
mart2k: muslim mentality
ehen,how is dat ur prblem. Abi e dey pain u say d guy dy follow hm religion? 4 ur info. Death comes in diferent forms. n dis is one. Mtsew.
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by Phrankin(m): 4:31pm On Jun 12, 2012
mbulela: is it not unethical to release such a sensitive info at this time of the investigation?
Now, tell me. What do you know about ethics?
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by toughbobo: 4:32pm On Jun 12, 2012
vanstanzy:

This's a plane in distress why the handing-over ceremony? It was obvious to the ATC that this plane had lost all its engines in the air and was going to plunge to the ground. What were they hoping that miraculously some angels would suspend the plane in the air? Why did the radar ATC or so, handle this emergency issue? People could have been saved if only they had taken up that responsibility then.

Dont jump to conclusion like an idiot....There were 5 high-powered fire vehicles on the tarmac while ll flights were sent to land at Ibadan airport because the tower already taught the plane would crash land at the airport and since the pilot dint start discharging the fuel on time, it was already hoped there will be explosions. LASEMA can confirm this cos they have been called in minutes before the unfortunate crash. This However explained why response delayed to Iju. They were all already heading to airport. embarassed undecided

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by Waltro(m): 4:37pm On Jun 12, 2012
cry
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by toughbobo: 4:50pm On Jun 12, 2012
Gbyte: Though I know nothing about flying plane and landing one, but one thing I know is that, this report id probably a cover up, I'd ask some questions here, what time did the plane take off from Abuja, what time did it crash? The time frame would determine what really happened, I heard a rumor about our private jet delaying all planes for 2hrs before landing[/size][size=8pt], if this is so, then the person in the jet should face trial[/size][size=8pt]. If a plane could make it all the way from Abuja to Iju, then it would definitely make it into the airport and land anyhow but would not have crashed the way it did.

I don laff almost piss for body......hmmmm....Naija lipsrsealed
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by mustspin: 4:55pm On Jun 12, 2012
vanstanzy:

bros, take it cool na, the Lagos ATC would be d one to give directions on the best way to land and which runway to use. its just the standard procedure

madjune: Buzugee, you are so funny. LWKMD too. In as much as the situation looks grim, i think the ministry of aviation will do well by making sure every air passenger aboard our local planes is given a parachute and taught how to jump off a plane using one. It's clear that we can have 100% confidence in the plane engines okayed by Indians nor the pilots who are mere humans like the rest of us. God bless Nigeria.
there's usually not enough time to evacuate over a 100 passengers as airline situations only leaves the pilot with just few minutes to do whatever they can do

babeface3: I have heard of dual engine failure mainly on long distance flights, not just between Abuja and Lagos, less than one hour; this is terrible. We are talking of both engines suddenly becoming non functional. We need better explanation.

dual engine failures have been experienced by air planes minutes into the flight. the u.s airline that safely landed its passenger in the hudson river lost both engines 6minutes into the flight and could not make it back to the airport

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jun 12, 2012
vanstanzy:

And how long did the "handing over ceremony" take? A few secs maybe. Doesn't seem like the ATCs could do much. The pilot was given a runway and new freq, but just ran out of altitude and time. Very sad indeed. We need to know exactly what caused the two engines to fail at the same time.

2 Likes

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by defbond1: 4:59pm On Jun 12, 2012
I find this interesting? And I read some gullible people saying it was destined to be like that?
How is a pilot's distress call routed to NAMA control when it's meant to go straight to the control tower? Na gsm call? Abi na demuren number he call? Haba
What about the time lost between that communication.
I sincerely don't believe anything this report suggests. Who released the report? The same agency that allowed a faulty aircraft fly in the first place or The indulgent parastatal who is ready to say anything as long as some 'millions are flown in plane to abuja'.
I'm sorry if I sound this way but years of following lies upon lies from anything Nigeria. I take this news with a pinch of salt!
Especially when a legislator will accept bribe on subsidy probe
Nigerians be wise. These guys are just playing on your intelligence!
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by Walphem(m): 5:06pm On Jun 12, 2012
Tears rolling down my check every minute I think abt ds incident.It's definitely one of d worst ways to die.RIP to d victims onboard and onground.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Makurdi Hotel In October / Beautiful Photos From Shanghai Summer Trip / Indian Policemen "Harass" Nigerian Man, Sparks A Riot (Picture, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.