Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,451 members, 7,808,606 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:13 PM

Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller (30423 Views)

Dana Air Flight ‎537 Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen – A Passenger’s Ordeal. / Dana Air-crash Memorial Arcade (Pictures) / Has Anyone Traveled From London To Lagos With Air Morocco? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by vanstanzy(m): 5:23pm On Jun 12, 2012
defbond1: I find this interesting? And I read some gullible people saying it was destined to be like that?
How is a pilot's distress call routed to NAMA control when it's meant to go straight to the control tower? Na gsm call? Abi na demuren number he call? Haba
What about the time lost between that communication.
I sincerely don't believe anything this report suggests. [/b]Who released the report? The same agency that allowed a faulty aircraft fly in the first place or The indulgent parastatal who is ready to say anything as long as some 'millions are flown in plane to abuja'.
I'm sorry if I sound this way but years of following lies upon lies from anything Nigeria. I take this news with a pinch of salt!
Especially when a legislator will accept bribe on subsidy probe
Nigerians be wise. [b]These guys are just playing on your intelligence!

Guy, the bolded are exactly my taught. Negligence on everybodies part caused this and they expect Nigerians to buy this COCK AND BULL hook, line and sinker. Let them tell this to the dead! This is CRAP! when are our authorities going to start taking RESPONSIBILITIES?
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by muffins99(f): 5:23pm On Jun 12, 2012
defbond1: I find this interesting? And I read some gullible people saying it was destined to be like that?
How is a pilot's distress call routed to NAMA control when it's meant to go straight to the control tower? Na gsm call? Abi na demuren number he call? Haba
I sincerely don't believe anything this report suggests. Who released the report? The same agency that allowed a faulty aircraft fly in the first place or The indulgent parastatal who is ready to say anything as long as some 'millions are flown in plane to abuja'.
I'm sorry if I sound this way but years of following lies upon lies from anything Nigeria. I take this news with a pinch of salt!
Nigerians be wise. These guys are just playing on your intelligence!

Does anyone have evidence that the ATC gave the wrong advice .i.e there was a easier/ more assessible landing space for the plane? Would the control tower have given better responce? Please bear in mind that there are protocols for communication between pilots and airports so maybe someone can confirm that the 'reported' communication was not according to protocol or that a better one can be put in place. if we can identify a better way of doing things, hopefully these recommendations will reach the right people and will save lives in the future. May the victims' souls rest in peace!

PS: Everyone knows there's a high likelihood that the plane was not properly maintained but that is one issue; communication problem is another.

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by otokx(m): 5:28pm On Jun 12, 2012
The debate continues
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by vanstanzy(m): 5:33pm On Jun 12, 2012
toughbobo:

Dont jump to conclusion like an idiot....There were 5 high-powered fire vehicles on the tarmac while ll flights were sent to land at Ibadan airport because the tower already taught the plane would crash land at the airport and since the pilot dint start discharging the fuel on time, it was already hoped there will be explosions. LASEMA can confirm this cos they have been called in minutes before the unfortunate crash. This However explained why response delayed to Iju. They were all already heading to airport. embarassed undecided

You can say whatever you will, men! But truth be told, we are always ill-prepared in this country and its killing our people daily. NOW THAT'S REALITY!
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by OmoTier1(m): 6:03pm On Jun 12, 2012
What has the location of an Engine got to do with an Aircraft Glide ratio Dual engine Failure is considered Catastrophic - an surely, both Dana Air have an explanation to do! Same goes for the maker of those engines.

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by Flawlessdiva1(f): 6:18pm On Jun 12, 2012
roqrules04: D dead will alwyz b blame 4 his or her Death... Dunno y some membrs r putting d blame on d Pilot.
I blive dey are all destined to die dat way..!
Quite callous of you to say that.
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jun 12, 2012
buzugee: thats how i know the pilot was not nigerian. if the pilot was nigerian his last words to air traffick control will be ' mogbeooooooooooooo egbamiiiiiiiiii ooooooooooooooo motikerannnnnnnnn yeapaaaaaaaaaaripaaaaaaa. mokuoooooooooo heleppppp me pleaseeeee ejoooooooooooo '

they are all in a better place at rest ( ecclesiastes 12 vs 7 )
lmao....u made d best comment for dis post mahn...
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by defbond1: 6:30pm On Jun 12, 2012
Whatever policy they have in place, a MAY DAY call must go directly to the relevant office which in turn must take appropriate action immediately. What they did was play information ping pong between NAMA and THE TOWER as they were bunch of incompetent people who know nothing about emergency response which is a course in itself. I. Can imagine them saying Oya Oga wetin we go do now? I can imagine the sluggish attitude due to not knowing what to do. I blame the relevant authorities as well as Dana for this crash.
The stupid information released to press is just to kill peoples anger.
I notice a lot of people have referred to the aircraft that landed on water in America last year. Note that the engines failed but the airline didn't plunge. It landed normally on its belly. This one plunged! Another line of thought. Didn't Levi Ajuonuma just say recently he didn't want to be part of the subsidy scandal and will resign? By implication of that statement he was going to reveal the truth for his childrens sake? Now the only guy that was ready to let the whole nation know the truth happened to be on a poorly maintained aircraft that eventually crashed.
Take it or leave it. I don't trust this engineered report from whoever.
Now wait and see. Subsidy probe report will come out soon and guess what they will say its the truth and nothing but the truth but how will the ordinary Nigerian know the truth when the truth was killed in a plane crash. True words from Femi kuti. Truth dey travel the thing con get accident. Truth con die. Chei. Afterall we re beginning to see new drama unfold between Farouk and Zenon oil.
The more I think about it the more I wish I had some supernatural powers. These national idiots will be the first to die when I rule the world.
Nairalanders I urge you not to be gullible. Have an open mind. One day nigeria shall be rid of all it's enemies if nigeria survives! Someday. Very soon!
My heart bleeds for the families of the lost ones. Only God will comfort you and know that the blood of the dead will hunt a those involved in this crash.

muffins99:

Does anyone have evidence that the ATC gave the wrong advice .i.e there was a easier/ more assessible landing space for the plane? Would the control tower have given better responce? Please bear in mind that there are protocols for communication between pilots and airports so maybe someone can confirm that the 'reported' communication was not according to protocol or that a better one can be put in place. if we can identify a better way of doing things, hopefully these recommendations will reach the right people and will save lives in the future. May the victims' souls rest in peace!

PS: Everyone knows there's a high likelihood that the plane was not properly maintained but that is one issue; communication problem is another.

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by muffins99(f): 6:43pm On Jun 12, 2012
This is really tragic. Lives have been lost and we can't even be comforted in the fact that a solution will be found so that their lives were not lost in vain. Haba, Nigeria where is the hope? I pray that this will mark a turning point for better and that people start insisting on transparency and accountability both from themselves and the people around them. Maybe the change can travel up the 'corruption' ladder. One can only hope!!!
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by AIDFORALL: 7:08pm On Jun 12, 2012
May their soul rest I'm peace abeg!!let's learn from it and move on.
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by Kala11(m): 7:37pm On Jun 12, 2012
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by joe4christ(m): 7:39pm On Jun 12, 2012
moderatorr: dual engine failure plus negative response from throttle!
Plane was a flying coffin!
Its amazing it had wings!

That must really be a mystery, or dont you think so?
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by manny4life(m): 8:00pm On Jun 12, 2012
I sincerely don't believe anything this report suggests. Who released the report? The same agency that allowed a faulty aircraft fly in the first place or The indulgent parastatal who is ready to say anything as long as some 'millions are flown in plane to abuja'.

It was routed to NAMA (as it's called in Nigeria) because they were with NAMA on the same frequency on initial and final approach, that was why the pilot requested for a "direct straight approach" and NAMA cleared them but unfortunately, they did not make it in.

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by werepeLeri: 8:09pm On Jun 12, 2012

abeg - keep quiet. What do you know about Aviation, flying and emergency? So what are you taking with a pinch of salt? The communications or what? Salt ko, why no join pepper put?
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by Ancecoker(m): 9:03pm On Jun 12, 2012
I sob for them......
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by emmalezy(m): 9:32pm On Jun 12, 2012
ebamma: what an irony!
What's so ironic here dude
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by BaBaMike: 10:04pm On Jun 12, 2012
Every pilot knows, engine failures are part of the pilot curriculum. If the engine in an airplane stops, you don't stop flying. Think of it this way: What happens if the engine stops in your car? If you're on level ground you'll coast some distance. If you're going uphill, you'll come to a stop more quickly. But if you are going downhill, then gravity will keep you rolling. Same thing in an aircraft. If you lose your power, gravity provides the "motive force", if you will, to keep the air flowing over the wings. The wings don't know if the engine is running or not. What you're doing is trading your altitude for airspeed mush as a car on a hill is trading altitude for roadspeed.
The important thing to keep in mind is that, despite all of the ways people talk about, crashes are rarely caused by one thing, and that human error are what we should be worrying about.

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by dj5naira(m): 10:38pm On Jun 12, 2012
youngies:

Co-pilot: “Lagos Tower, Dana code 0992!”

ATC: “Dana Code 0992, this is Lagos radar, go ahead!”

Co-pilot: “May Day! May Day! May Day! Dana code 0992 Five November Romeo Alpha Mike! (5N-RAM) dual engine failure!”

ATC: “Dana Code 0992, read me?”

Co-pilot: “I read you five by five! Dual engine failure! Negative response from throttle! Requesting for direct straight approach!”

ATC: “Alright, position it one mile to touch down, Runway 18R! Contact tower now on 1181!”

Co-pilot: “1181 Good day!”

E rotic conversations.
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by solomto(f): 10:42pm On Jun 12, 2012
muffins99:

As you said, your comment is one of ignorance. Planes are machines and anything can go wrong, including dual engine failure. All you need is a series of events which on their own will not result in major problems but when combined will result in devastating consequences. Although very rare, dual engine failure can happen if the jet runs out of fuel, the pipes are blocked or the fuel pump is faulty. However, as Jakumo said, the plane can continue to fly (or glide) albeit at slower speed and lower altitude, depending on the glide ratio e.g for every mile of altitude, it can glide x amount of miles/km. The only thing a plane needs to fly is airspeed but without engines, speed is usually maintained at lower altitude so in this case, the plane will have descended to maintain speed and also to line up with the runway. The plane's glide ratio probably fell short of the runway and it's uunfortunate that there were tall buildings in the area because otherwise, the plane could have landed on a flat piece of land, probably the worst result is that the tires will snap, the plane skids and passangers are thrown around and will be badly bruised.

u made a good point here and i think airports shuld nt be close to residential area in case of such a problem. If there was no buildings or trees around that area d casualty wld hv bn minimal.
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by beatricewebb: 12:09am On Jun 13, 2012
many have eyes but they could not see.while quite a lot of pple here are scrutinizing the fault that arise from the plane crash,some even said that is how god wants it.God will not destroy is own pple in pain like this,the issue is that most of our leaders are occultic an satanic worshippers,they have to sacrifice blood for them to regain political post,for them to win an election.i was not surprise to see them shedding tears at the scene,may god help us!
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by joelala(m): 1:09am On Jun 13, 2012
Abdul Adam56: It has happened what are they confirmin?Dat is how God want it,may there soul rest in peace.

God is never a party to bad things, so you mean after all the journey mercy prayers the Rev and pastors on board must have prayed before boarding..God still ignored all that and let them die abi? the little ayenes on board and young innocent souls. God wanted them all to die right?

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by imperiouxx(m): 3:05am On Jun 13, 2012
buzugee: thats how i know the pilot was not nigerian. if the pilot was nigerian his last words to air traffick control will be ' mogbeooooooooooooo egbamiiiiiiiiii ooooooooooooooo motikerannnnnnnnn yeapaaaaaaaaaaripaaaaaaa. mokuoooooooooo heleppppp me pleaseeeee ejoooooooooooo '

they are all in a better place at rest ( ecclesiastes 12 vs 7 )

I no fit laff again oooo grin
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by Ivynwa(f): 3:50am On Jun 13, 2012
@Vanstanzy
I feel as angry and as unhappy as you and every other person are feeling over this.
My anger stemmed from the fact that shortage of water affected the rescue operation. Ordinary water, Nigeria could not provide well to quench a burning plane and save our brothers and sisters from an inferno!

How won't they have shortage of water when the poor masses can't see water to drink? Water is almost luxury in Nigeria, you have to spend much to drag some home for yourself in whatever way nobody cares about.Only the rich can afford borehole and see water running from their taps. A good running tap water is hard to come by in Nigeria, I don't even have words to exclaim over us.

Okay the firemen fought the fire to some extent and all stood arms akimbo watching these victims die off until they found some other lucky firetruck somewhere and continued. How can't a country (that pay millions of dollars to foreign companies drilling it's oil not) not afford to have fire stations dotted around properly in a big city like Lagos? Abeg make I follow thank God sef say we were able to search out 2 or 3 firetruck because the way things are with us I didn't expect us to have a good working one. We are so terribly disorganized, high time they began to use money meant to better the life of people for what it is meant for. We all need to pray seriously over this type of air mishap because it can't continue happening and shaming us all, above all wasting the lives of people. God please deliver our country from this painful and heartrending air mishap in Jesus name, Amen-o-o-o.

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by Ivynwa(f): 3:51am On Jun 13, 2012
@Vanstanzy
I feel as angry and as unhappy as you and every other person are feeling over this.
My anger stemmed from the fact that shortage of water affected the rescue operation. Ordinary water, Nigeria could not provide well to quench a burning plane and save our brothers and sisters from an inferno!

How won't they have shortage of water when the poor masses can't see water to drink? Water is almost luxury in Nigeria, you have to spend much to drag some home for yourself in whatever way nobody cares about.Only the rich can afford borehole and see water running from their taps. A good running tap water is hard to come by in Nigeria, I don't even have words to say it as it is in my heart.

Okay the firemen fought the fire to some extent and all stood arms akimbo watching these victims die off until they found some other lucky firetruck somewhere and continued. The rescue operation was so inept that media houses of other countries mocked our country why narrating the incident. How can't a country (that pay millions of dollars to foreign companies drilling it's oil) not afford to have fire stations dotted around properly in a big city like Lagos? Abeg make I follow thank God sef say we were able to search out 2 or 3 firetruck because the way things are with us I didn't expect us to have a good working one. We are so terribly disorganized, high time they began to use money meant to better the life of people for what it is meant for. We all need to pray seriously over this type of air mishap because it can't continue happening and shaming us all, above all wasting the lives of people. God please deliver our country from this painful and heartrending air mishap in Jesus name, Amen-o-o-o.
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by werepeLeri: 7:54am On Jun 13, 2012
Ivynwa: @Vanstanzy
My anger stemmed from the fact that shortage of water affected the rescue operation. Ordinary water, Nigeria could not provide well to quench a burning plane and save our brothers and sisters from an inferno![font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

How won't they have shortage of water when the poor masses can't see water to drink? Water is almost luxury in Nigeria, you have to spend much to drag some home for yourself in whatever way nobody cares about.Only the rich can afford borehole and see water running from their taps. A good running tap water is hard to come by in Nigeria, I don't even have words to say it as it is in my heart.

Okay the firemen fought the fire to some extent and all stood arms akimbo watching these victims die off until they found some other lucky firetruck somewhere and continued. The rescue operation was so inept that media houses of other countries mocked our country why narrating the incident. How can't a country (that pay millions of dollars to foreign companies drilling it's oil) not afford to have fire stations dotted around properly in a big city like Lagos? Abeg make I follow thank God sef say we were able to search out 2 or 3 firetruck because the way things are with us I didn't expect us to have a good working one. We are so terribly disorganized, high time they began to use money meant to better the life of people for what it is meant for. We all need to pray seriously over this type of air mishap because it can't continue happening and shaming us all, above all wasting the lives of people. God please deliver our country from this painful and heartrending air mishap in Jesus name, Amen-o-o-o.

Where did you get the bolded from?
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by texazzpete(m): 8:41am On Jun 13, 2012
BaBa Mike: Every pilot knows, engine failures are part of the pilot curriculum. If the engine in an airplane stops, you don't stop flying. Think of it this way: What happens if the engine stops in your car? If you're on level ground you'll coast some distance. If you're going uphill, you'll come to a stop more quickly. But if you are going downhill, then gravity will keep you rolling. Same thing in an aircraft. If you lose your power, gravity provides the "motive force", if you will, to keep the air flowing over the wings. The wings don't know if the engine is running or not. What you're doing is trading your altitude for airspeed mush as a car on a hill is trading altitude for roadspeed.
The important thing to keep in mind is that, despite all of the ways people talk about, crashes are rarely caused by one thing, and that human error are what we should be worrying about.

I worry that reasonable people would look at your drunken, brainless post and take part of it as 'facts'. How can gravity keep an aircraft moving forward at speeds sufficient to provide lift?
Pilots are trained for single and dual engine failures. With a single engine failure a pilot can continue to fly on and complete the journey without much stress. With dual engine failures, the plane is practically turned to an unpowered glider and contrary to what you say, does not have such a degree of control over the flight.

I implore you to stop airing your ignorance with such confidence!

2 Likes

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by Ademolag(m): 9:36am On Jun 13, 2012
When things like this happen, some will say that is how God wants it. Its a lie, humans have brought destruction upon one another.
Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by BaBaMike: 9:51am On Jun 13, 2012
texazzpete:

I worry that reasonable people would look at your drunken, brainless post and take part of it as 'facts'. How can gravity keep an aircraft moving forward at speeds sufficient to provide lift?
Pilots are trained for single and dual engine failures. With a single engine failure a pilot can continue to fly on and complete the journey without much stress. With dual engine failures, the plane is practically turned to an unpowered glider and contrary to what you say, does not have such a degree of control over the flight.

I implore you to stop airing your ignorance with such confidence!

I look forward to a time when young Nigerians would make constructive comments without being abusive. I don’t blame you. You probably were not taught at home. You can pass a message across without abusing people!

Gravity is what allows a plane to traverse across the ground, for without gravity, plane would behave like a neutrally buoyant hot air balloon.
An aircraft in straight and level flight is acted upon by four forces: lift, gravity, thrust, and drag. The opposing forces balance each other; lift equals gravity and thrust equals drag.
Any inequality between thrust and drag, while maintaining straight and level flight, will result in acceleration or deceleration until the two forces again become balanced. Drag: The air resistance that tends to slow the forward movement of an airplane.
Gravity: The force that pulls all objects towards the earth. Lift: The upward force that is created by the movement of air above and below a wing. Air flows faster above the wing and slower below the wing,
creating a difference in pressure that tends to keep an airplane flying. Thrust: The force that moves a plane forward through the air. Thrust is created by a propeller or engine.

Texazzpete , pls go home and tell your DAD that Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by texazzpete(m): 10:11am On Jun 13, 2012
BaBa Mike:

I look forward to a time when young Nigerians would make constructive comments without being abusive. I don’t blame you. You probably were not taught at home. You can pass a message across without abusing people!

Gravity is what allows a plane to traverse across the ground, for without gravity, plane would behave like a neutrally buoyant hot air balloon.
An aircraft in straight and level flight is acted upon by four forces: lift, gravity, thrust, and drag. The opposing forces balance each other; lift equals gravity and thrust equals drag.
Any inequality between thrust and drag, while maintaining straight and level flight, will result in acceleration or deceleration until the two forces again become balanced. Drag: The air resistance that tends to slow the forward movement of an airplane.
Gravity: The force that pulls all objects towards the earth. Lift: The upward force that is created by the movement of air above and below a wing. Air flows faster above the wing and slower below the wing,
creating a difference in pressure that tends to keep an airplane flying. Thrust: The force that moves a plane forward through the air. Thrust is created by a propeller or engine.

Texazzpete , pls go home and tell your DAD that Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

All that rhetoric and still no concrete answer to my question na. I ask you, how will 'gravity' have kept that plane moving forward enough to buy time for landing without any engine thrust?

I think everyone knows what lift, thrust, drag and gravity are. Now explain how your inane 'pilot error' observation was made.
Bottom line is that 'gravity acceleration' is not sustainable, you cannot sustain forward motion for extended periods (contrary to your claims) and I see no reason why pilot error should be considered in this matter.

Your post makes it seem like it should have been a piece of cake for the pilot to glide to the runway. That's inane.

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by BaBaMike: 10:34am On Jun 13, 2012
texazzpete:

[s]All that rhetoric and still no concrete answer to my question na. I ask you, how will 'gravity' have kept that plane moving forward enough to buy time for landing without any engine thrust?[/s]

I think everyone knows what lift, thrust, drag and gravity are. [s]Now explain how your inane 'pilot error' observation was made.[/s]
Bottom line is that '[s]gravity acceleration' is not sustainable, you cannot sustain forward motion for extended periods (contrary to your claims) and I see no reason why pilot error should be considered in this matter.[/s]

[s]Your post makes it seem like it should have been a piece of cake for the pilot to glide to the runway. That's inane.[/s]

Sir,you're merely wasting the pages of Nairaland with your silly arguments. Are you undergoing a research project? If yes, pls go to Nairaland Politics Section.

2 Likes

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by fridayiwere: 11:32am On Jun 13, 2012
Wot lesson is there to be learnt?

1 Like

Re: Dana Air Pilot’s Last Conversations With Air Traffic Controller by deb(m): 11:50am On Jun 13, 2012
So Unfortunate

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

UK Launches 24-hour Visa Service In Nigeria / Makurdi Hotel In October / Indian Policemen "Harass" Nigerian Man, Sparks A Riot (Picture, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.