Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,937 members, 7,806,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You (10735 Views)

Egyptian DNA Tests / Its Official, Igbos Can No Longer Claim To Have Some Isreali DNA :) / Dna Test Confirms I Share 87% Nigerian Dna 84% Yoruba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 9:51am On Jun 12, 2012
Greeting all hope you week is going well...at least you've made it past Monday... grin

So I wanted to share my joy with you guys and also get you opinions. I went on a website called africanancestry.com and paid for a maternal dna test. Basically what they do is trace your roots back until they find a 100 percent match ( if there is one to be found).
I waited for this test for two months and when I finally got it back I jumped for joy! The results could have come back indian or something but lucky for me my family stayed in the heart of slavery and currently are in the same area. My results traced back to the hausa and yoruba tribe or present day nigeria. I wondered how could I be both so I asked those who sent me the kit. They stated that one of my grandparent was hausa and one was yoruba...wow! grin
So how do you guys feel about Black Americans tracing their roots and could we be accepted as who we really are? I tell everyone I'm Nigerian now because I am, and damn proud of it! grin
I now desire to learn yoruba because for some reason I feel closes to them, it could be because I look so much like them..idk...but yeah what do you think?
No jokes about how I'm standing, I really liked the face in this pic so..it's a keeper.. grin

2 Likes

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by anonymous6(f): 10:25am On Jun 12, 2012
buzzedoffbeauty: Greeting all hope you week is going well...at least you've made it past Monday... grin

So I wanted to share my joy with you guys and also get you opinions. I went on a website called africanancestry.com and paid for a maternal dna test. Basically what they do is trace your roots back until they find a 100 percent match ( if there is one to be found).
I waited for this test for two months and when I finally got it back I jumped for joy! The results could have come back indian or something but lucky for me my family stayed in the heart of slavery and currently are in the same area. My results traced back to the hausa and yoruba tribe or present day nigeria. I wondered how could I be both so I asked those who sent me the kit. They stated that one of my grandparent was hausa and one was yoruba...wow! grin
So how do you guys feel about Black Americans tracing their roots and could we be accepted as who we really are? I tell everyone I'm Nigerian now because I am, and damn proud of it! grin
I now desire to learn yoruba because for some reason I feel closes to them, it could be because I look so much like them..idk...but yeah what do you think?
No jokes about how I'm standing, I really liked the face in this pic so..it's a keeper.. grin

Well congratulations to you, welcome to nairaland

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by REMMEI(m): 10:49am On Jun 12, 2012
NICE TA KNOW UR FROM THIS PART OF THE WORLD..WELCOME TA NAIRALAND..

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by bisi16(m): 11:48am On Jun 12, 2012
U're welcome

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by Afam4eva(m): 11:59am On Jun 12, 2012
You actually look Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by ifyalways(f): 2:56pm On Jun 12, 2012
Interesting.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by firestar(f): 4:06pm On Jun 12, 2012
cheesy
Welcome to Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by member58: 4:09pm On Jun 12, 2012
why u come bend yansh go back na, like person wey take am from behind? grin

and oh, ur kitchen looks dirty. at least, u should have done the dishes before posing for picture.

with a kitchen like dat, husband go hard u find for naija ooo, if na husband u come use ur DNA find.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by Afam4eva(m): 4:10pm On Jun 12, 2012
#%&@:

and oh, ur kitchen looks dirty. at least, u should have done the dishes before posing for picture.

with a kitchen like dat, husband go hand u find for naija ooo, if na husband u come use ur DNA find.
Lmao...abeg free our new convert grin
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by kengis: 4:13pm On Jun 12, 2012
you look youruba to me grin

2 Likes

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by warlei(m): 6:09am On Jun 13, 2012
Nice on gal, (e kaabo) there many yoruba dialects,but there is a central one that everybody understands and easier 2 learn.yorubas a very loving people nd fun 2 be around,nd we dont take everytin seriuz,so its fun all d way

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 7:04am On Jun 13, 2012
#%&@:

with a kitchen like dat, husband go hard u find for naija ooo, if na husband u come use ur DNA find.

Your such a negative energy and those dishes are clean hun, they're dryng in the sink, is it ok for me to allow my dishes to dry mother dearest? As for the pose I a am a married women, and don't need your opinion. Thanks for the envy... muah!!! kiss kiss kiss

2 Likes

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 7:07am On Jun 13, 2012
afam4eva: You actually look Yoruba.

I take that as a complement thank you sweetie.... grin
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 7:08am On Jun 13, 2012
ifyalways: Interesting.

What's so interesting about it?
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 7:10am On Jun 13, 2012
[quote author=warlei]Nice on gal, (e kaabo) there many yoruba dialects,but there is a central one that everybody understands and easier 2 learn.yorubas a very loving people nd fun 2 be around,nd we dont take everytin seriuz,so its fun all d way[/quote

I actually have a friend who is yoruba, I beleive it's the central dialect. Thanks for the information, it's very informative... wink
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by kobezex: 9:18am On Jun 13, 2012
You look yoruba.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by Afam4eva(m): 9:22am On Jun 13, 2012
buzzedoffbeauty:

I take that as a complement thank you sweetie.... grin
ekaabo(you're welcome)

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:29am On Jun 13, 2012
YOU ARE NOT HAUSA. YOU ARE JUST ANOTHER MIXED AKATA. angry tongue
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by DaRapture: 6:08pm On Jun 13, 2012
Are you sure you'r a fellow AA, cause you don't really look it? You look more Caribbean and or strait African, not saying that in a negative way at all. I'm just saying that your look isn't very common among us, (I'm AA). Well, you actually do look VERY Yoruba, and the Yoruba weren't that common of an ethnic group brought to America and the Hausa were an even more rare group sent here, so if you are of those descents then that will definitively explain the rarity of your appearance among us AA.

The Yoruba are from the South West of Nigeria and the Hausa are from the North of the nation, but the VAST, VAST majority of Nigerian based ethnic groups that were brought to the US during the slave trade were from the South East of Nigeria, with the primary group being the Igbo. The Igbo were actually the largest single ethnic group numerically to be brought to the US, with some estimates ranging as high as 40% of the total, and if your family is from the Chesapeake region of the nation, especially VA and MD then it's an almost 60% certainty that that person will be of majority Igbo descent. Go to the South Eastern Beauties thread in this section of the forum, and you'll see how common the Igbo are to the majority of the AA population in appearance.

3 Likes

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by 2mch(m): 7:12pm On Jun 13, 2012
DaRapture:
Are you sure you'r a fellow AA, cause you don't really look it? You look more Caribbean and or strait African, not saying that in a negative way at all. I'm just saying that your look isn't very common among us, (I'm AA). Well, you actually do look VERY Yoruba, and the Yoruba weren't that common of an ethnic group brought to America and the Hausa were an even more rare group sent here, so if you are of those descents then that will definitively explain the rarity of your appearance among us AA.

The Yoruba are from the South West of Nigeria and the Hausa are from the North of the nation, but the VAST, VAST majority of Nigerian based ethnic groups that were brought to the US during the slave trade were from the South East of Nigeria, with the primary group being the Igbo. The Igbo were actually the largest single ethnic group numerically to be brought to the US, with some estimates ranging as high as 40% of the total, and if your family is from the Chesapeake region of the nation, especially VA and MD then it's an almost 60% certainty that that person will be of majority Igbo descent. Go to the South Eastern Beauties thread in this section of the forum, and you'll see how common the Igbo are to the majority of the AA population in appearance.

WTF? She actually looks hausa. Who made you an authority of Yoruba people? hahahaha. This is all Bullshi*te. Ignore this ridiculous post. Yoruba's are more in the America's. Wanna bet? Check your DNA. We had the most population, we still do.

8 Likes

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by tpia5: 8:19pm On Jun 13, 2012
she actually looks igbo.

maybe she should redo the test, at a different location.

personally, i'd consider her carribean.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:10am On Jun 14, 2012
tpia@:
she actually looks igbo.

maybe she should redo the test, at a different location.

personally, i'd consider her carribean.

How can you say this?? A glance will tell you she is yaruba or hausa!! She has done the test and the result says she is yaruba...what ellse do you want?? Yoriba sold most of their ppl the south america but a lot of blacks from Lousianna are yoruba descents and you will know when you see them....
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by kobezex: 8:25am On Jun 14, 2012
Just a glance at her will tell u she's yoruba. Infact she's a typical yoruba girl
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by anonymous6(f): 12:41pm On Jun 14, 2012
kobezex: Just a glance at her will tell u she's yoruba. Infact she's a typical yoruba girl

Just a glance at these yoruba women and you will tell they are yoruba women as well

Bisi Ibidapo

Omotola Jalade Ekeinde

Tiwa Savage
[img]http://mthirty3.files./2011/07/tiwasavage2.jpg[/img]

Oyindamola Taiwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic7dggkZBSE

Omowunmi akinnifesi

Damilola Adebanjo

Bukky Wright
[img]http://3.bp..com/-OWN_kl0HSVQ/T3nuBId9JZI/AAAAAAAAMwE/erpvw6W4YUA/s1600/bukky-wright.jpg[/img]

Damilola Adegbite

Lolade Eretan

OTHER YORUBA WOMEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGLzRO3eWCc&feature=plcp
[img]http://2.bp..com/-Ara3gYwYtxE/TmYQWRZvTgI/AAAAAAAABf8/X2gQCL69hMY/s640/1.jpg[/img]

So in conclusion there is no straight Yoruba look, the same with Igbo and Hausa's, and lets not forget she is a african american woman with yoruba/Hausa ancestry, she has both looks because there are some Hausa's with that look as well. People need to realize that african americans are not purely from one tribe they are a mix of tribes. There are many Haitians and other people from other Caribbean nations(including African americans) that have her look to and they have no yoruba or Hausa in them but have tribal connections to Ghana, Liberia, Cameroon, Guinea; mind you many Haitians have ancestry from Guinea mostly. So she is not a typical yoruba female, she is actually one look out of the many looks of yoruba women.

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:27pm On Jun 14, 2012
Look,we know a typical yoruba look,so dont make it look like you dont know....most yoruba women are dark skin....no need posting those pictures to convince yourself.....A light skin yoruba woman is very rare and you know this...We all know you posted mostly the few light skin yoruba women convince who I dont know but we all know dark skin is synonymous with yoruba women and its nothing to be ashamed of...I actually like darkskin women more.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by anonymous6(f): 4:35pm On Jun 14, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: Look,we know a typical yoruba look,so dont make it look like you dont know....most yoruba women are dark skin....no need posting those pictures to convince yourself.....A light skin yoruba woman is very rare and you know this...We all know you posted mostly the few light skin yoruba women convince who I dont know but we all know dark skin is synonymous with yoruba women and its nothing to be ashamed of...I actually like darkskin women more.

I am not talking about the skin color(that is your assumption not mine or what you claim "we all" ) and most of the women I posted are not light skinned they are brown skinned(I wasn't putting no preference in skin color), I am talking about the features, you are changing it into the skin color thing. There is no need to convince anybody or myself of anything but I knew where this thread was heading to a bash yoruba women thread, so I wanted that to be stopped, especially on this thread. So I have no problem with dark skinned women but the OP is African American and I don't think it is fair to paint a picture to her that is biased.
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by warlei(m): 4:39pm On Jun 14, 2012
Anonymous is nt shying away from d dark colour of yoruba girls.60% are dark,25%fair,15% are light.
Odenigbo Aroli: Look,we know a typical yoruba look,so dont make it look like you dont know....most yoruba women are dark skin....no need posting those pictures to convince yourself.....A light skin yoruba woman is very rare and you know this...We all know you posted mostly the few light skin yoruba women convince who I dont know but we all know dark skin is synonymous with yoruba women and its nothing to be ashamed of...I actually like darkskin women more.

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by anonymous6(f): 4:46pm On Jun 14, 2012
warlei: Anonymous is nt shying away from d dark colour of yoruba girls.60% are dark,25%fair,15% are light.

thanks, I don't know where the skin color assumption came from with him because tiwa, oyinadamola and Nikki are dark skinned; my mind wasn't there. That argument is his not mine or a concern of mine, my point is features that's all
Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 10:31am On Jun 15, 2012
wow, what is this thread turning into? This was only meant for me to show my African Pride. Especially my Naija pride. Peace and Love all...Peace and Love...

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 10:40am On Jun 15, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

How can you say this?? A glance will tell you she is yaruba or hausa!! She has done the test and the result says she is yaruba...what ellse do you want?? Yoriba sold most of their ppl the south america but a lot of blacks from Lousianna are yoruba descents and you will know when you see them....

I'm actually from Mississippi the heart of slavery. In Lousianna there was alot of mixing. Mississippians rarely mix due to stigmas attached to it. Usually it's the ones who travel to the big cities...to us lousianna is extremly large and diverse. If you go to my small town there are currently a little under 700 hundred people. Yep super tiny... smiley

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 10:47am On Jun 15, 2012
DaRapture:

Hmmm, I don't know how to answer your question. All I can say is I'm not from a region where mixing was even close to the norm. Rapes weren't the norm. Mixing still doesn't happen AT ALL. Only those who leave and go to other places dare mix. I can't deny what's in my DNA so I'm as sure as the sequence on the document. Hope this answers your question.

1 Like

Re: Dna Test Confirms I'm One Of You by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 10:50am On Jun 15, 2012
Should I remove the picture, seems I am too dark and it's become offensive to some...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Untold Story Of Ogedengbe Agbogungboro Of Ijesha Land 1822-1910. Wars And Ge / Richest Tribe In Nigeria 2020 / If Black Caribbeans And African Americans Wish To Return To Africa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.