Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,845 members, 7,802,697 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? (4977 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / Effects Of Divorce On A Woman..Men Take Note / Why This Rise In Marriage Failure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Souljagirl(f): 12:29am On Jan 03, 2008
@michelin89. i try my sista, i try grin grin
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by quinofhart(f): 9:10pm On Jan 07, 2008
Souljagirl:

@quionheart. well said. as a naija woman, i too have been faced with so much pressure from not just my immediate family, but also friends and people that shouldn't even have the guts to be saying rubbish to me at all. they're not happy with the fact that i'm single, as if it is such a bad thing. na so so "u're not getting any younger you know" or "see what has happened to you after shunning all those guys that were asking you out before" or downright "go and get married!" as if i'm a goat without a brain.

i don't know how people even think in our society, being mrs is so impt to people that they will go to any length to snag a man, even if he's as useless as a rag and has 4 wives already. it pains me that some women just see themselves as something to be owned by someone else. i've seen so many naija marriages where the man does as he likes, and the woman has no power or no say to make him change his ways. some of them will be chasing small small girls shamelessly and the wife is expected to suck it in, as if she has no choice. i say kick his ass to the curb! why let one yeye son of adam disrespect you all over the place. is that supposed to be a partnership?

me i'm sha afraid of the fact that i will have to "possibly" spend the rest of my precious life with one man. chei! make God sha give me will power. LOL.

@souljagirl
love that nickname of yours by the way. Yep i am glad you feel me oh, pls husband and wife business is no joke at all, i went out with my husband for 7 years before i finally agreed to marry, and even in those 7yrs sef, it takes a long time for a boy to grow to a man(if you know what i mean wink) yeah its no picnic at all! when you think of it really , we are talking two human beings , very different coming together as one, it is scarry stuff cheesy
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by topkin(m): 1:02am On Jan 08, 2008
Agreed, we imported a lot of the western culture and it has greatly influenced our culture, norms and perspective. But, come to think of it, were these culture(s) forced down our throat? I sincerely belive everyone can discern rightly and has a choice of accepting or rejecting whatever is offered to him/her. Please, leave the westerners out of this, we should take full responsibilities for our actions.

Why remain silent in a relationship/marriage likened to hell for you? Why stay with someone who believes he has to try out all the latest wrestling and boxing skills on you always? Why remain in a relationship that you cannot get an IOTA of joy from it? It's all woes and cries! Some people cannot SIMPLY remember a happy moment in their life or their parents' life since they got married! A marriage either makes or mars you. It can even determine where u spend eternity. Why put urslf tru al deze SUFFERING when u can actually have a peace of mind?

I'm not a divorce advocate but sincerely speaking, let's call a spade a spade; leave out christianity and face reality, if my wife or husband ceases to be a WIFE or HUSBAND, my dear, it's high time we called it quit!!! Q.E.D
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Souljagirl(f): 4:16pm On Jan 08, 2008
@quionofhart, thank you, my sista. cheesy i can't even imagine how you and your hubby get along. i'm sure you do great, but hmm, una try o, 7 years no be small thing. i get kind of edgy after knowing someone for even just 1 year. i'm always like "ok i its time to move on, i think i've known everything about this person, and its time for some new excitement" commitment-phobia my sister. and no be say i be spring chicken o! grin. i'm in my twenties, but i just have that fear and the thot of being with 1 person for the rest of my precious life scares me. though, one day i'll be brave enough to try the marriage thing sha. why not take a risk right? the craziness in our society just scares the crap out of me - all kinds of people and their hidden problems: it's either your partner turns out to be gay, or he's a secret crack head or he turns out to be a pedophile or he's into midgets and all kinds of ish.  cool i fear. too many abnormal people out there. even with the high divorce rate, one can't be pesssimistic unless they try it first abi?
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by quinofhart(f): 8:51pm On Jan 08, 2008
@souljgrl
I hear you.   smiley

ps.
''into midgets'' lol may not be a bad thing
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Gamine(f): 7:18pm On Jan 09, 2008
lol

Only God can help us.

Really!

Save us from any form of heart break
'cos i know, no man can do it
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by EFOSAVAL(f): 5:32pm On Mar 27, 2008
this is from frankies post!

'' This is not funny anyway. These days I seem to be annoyed with that fool that I called a friend ''almondjoy'' because of the way she talks senselessly. For me to teased about marrying her is like a disaster to me.

*sighs*''

hehehehehehhhe grin
dont worry, once u r married
every thing will b ok grin grin grin grin
just dont miss this nairaland opportunity

go get it boy grin wink
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by mayblossom(f): 5:02am On May 11, 2013
Lack of communication, lack of respect, not having and spendind time with spouse(this makes couples strangers b4 they realize it) and finally, the very area we're really ignoring....family or friends' interference(from either side). That's lack of maturity. The list continues...by the way, all these existed in our grannies' marriages, but for some reasons, the women don't walk. 2 of these reasons are:
1. Fear of what ppl will say. EVerybody expects her to "work it out" or die trying.
2. Those days, even if she wants to walk,the average woman cannot cater for herself and so is forced to stay. Her family won't accept her anyway cos its considered a taboo and shameful, so she stays bAck. But now, many women are financially independent,can easily rent an apartment,feed well on their own, etc and life goes on. That's a catalyst
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by Daresh(f): 11:08am On May 12, 2013
MoOdYLaDy: These so called Nigerians are copying the white people cultures

Sometimes I wonder if parents every think about the children’s future or the repercussion of getting divorce

Why say "I do", if you know damn well you can't stay in that marriage, I thought people get marry for better or worse, but no oh, these so called Nigerians women of nowadays are on another mission, all they want is money, greedy people

Some people excuses are his cheating or abusive, but you knew damn well that was who he was when he asked you to marry him in the first place, but some woman have these mentality a man will change after getting married, to be a new leaf

Am 100% against people getting divorce

You know it is easy to run your mouth without knowing what is going on inside someone's marriage. Is it better to stay and be beaten to death or catch HIV just to say you are married? You have tagged all Nigerian women greedy and money grabbing, pray tell how many of the 80million of us do you know? Pray you don't find yourself in a situation where you need divorce instead of judging others.
Re: Divorce On The Rise In Nigeria: Why? by somtookeke(m): 6:24am On Mar 04, 2020

Top 8 Causes Of Divorce In Nigeria, number 4 is very common among women
https://speakersden2..com/2020/03/top-8-causes-of-divorce-in-nigeria.html

Share, Like, Comment

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

23, Getting Married Soon / Her Fiancé Hates His Mother. / A Single Dad Needs A Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.