Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,677 members, 7,801,952 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:48 AM

Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. (3700 Views)

Egypt Calls For A Nigeria-Egypt Led Force Against ISIS In Libya / Buhari A Corrupt Liar: His Daughters School Fee At Surrey University Is £16,000 / Most Corrupt Nigerian Leaders In History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by werepeLeri: 4:34pm On Jun 16, 2012
What do you think Nigeria would have been like if the above were true?
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by mjconcept(m): 4:54pm On Jun 16, 2012
Thats the same question that have been hovering in my brain for long, imaging how beautiful,peaceful and developed it would be paradise on earth maybe, streets built with gold,diamond and other precious stone.

1 Like

Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by werepeLeri: 6:10pm On Jun 16, 2012
and I just still wonder how we lost that opportunity to greediness.

1 Like

Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by MckHail: 11:45am On Jun 18, 2012
i can hardly picture that in my head.Sorry about that but Nigeria is tantamount to corruption (at least for now).
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jun 18, 2012
NOT POSSIBLE
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by rastamouse: 12:22pm On Jun 18, 2012
Wow! Can't even imagine it...all the stolen trillions going into development?
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by chimuchi(f): 12:23pm On Jun 18, 2012
[size=28pt]its impossible. so lets just leave the imaginary imagination. no time for all these hallucinations and lets move forward. this post is like dreaming. no time. [/size]
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by crackhouse(m): 12:24pm On Jun 18, 2012
werepeLeri: What do you think Nigeria would have been like if the above were true?
keep on dreaming.
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by BashMe1(m): 12:26pm On Jun 18, 2012
I shall bend like crayfish shud dat happens soonest except in a case of thrusting physical war against corruption in dis country. Thx
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by begwong: 12:28pm On Jun 18, 2012
@op,Can you name any place on this planet that is corruption free?
No i guess,so until then!
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by Olaone1: 12:32pm On Jun 18, 2012
Another head-in-the-clouds, ignore-reality utopianism on Nairaland.

Others are thinking 'bout the future, my people are daydreaming. O ga oo lipsrsealed undecided

Hmm . . . castle in the air. lipsrsealed
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jun 18, 2012
Wishful thinking!!

Show me one country that isn't corrupt, and I'll show you pigs flying..

The problem with Nigeria is extreme corruption. undecided undecided
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by Buskete(m): 12:35pm On Jun 18, 2012
D op clearly said 'imagine', cos its only in our imagination dat Nigeria would be d heaven we desire it to be.
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by musulumi(m): 12:37pm On Jun 18, 2012
the following would have been the Consequences:
1. Nigeria would have been saving about 13trillion naira monthly from Oil revenue and such will be spent on effective developmental projects and the whole country would be happy.
2. Procurement of Visa to any part of the world would have been with ease; preferring anyone from the oil-rich nation who rarely would want to come to there country mostly for holidays
3. Dr Okonjo Eweala would not have lost the battle to win the seat of the overall boss of the much-coveted world financial powerhouse.
3. The Quest to acquire wealth at all cost without putting the safety of your fellow human being first would not be practiceable exempli gratia, Dana airline using 19 year- old aircraft for business!

1 Like

Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by canuck(m): 12:38pm On Jun 18, 2012
What the people cannot envision will forever remain elusive - We have come to accept corrupt practices as the norm, with everyone waiting for his/her turn. But like the mega-lottery, 99.999% of the population will NEVER benefit from it.
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by Afam4eva(m): 12:38pm On Jun 18, 2012
A nigeria with very few corrupt leaders will do it for me. I wish we could go back to the 70s or 80s and take it up from there. We've got ourselves in a dire situation that will be difficult to change.
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by eghost247(m): 12:38pm On Jun 18, 2012
chimuchi: [size=28pt]its impossible. so lets just leave the imaginary imagination. no time for all these hallucinations and lets move forward. this post is like dreaming. no time. [/size]
hahahhaaa
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by ibb4(m): 12:41pm On Jun 18, 2012
Nigeria without a corrupt Nigerian is country going back to stone age. (No clothes, No decent houses,you know,,no levels,,,,i mean no vanity)
We must learn to manage corruption and it's excesses..............
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by Afam4eva(m): 12:43pm On Jun 18, 2012
canuck: What the people cannot envision will forever remain elusive - We have come to accept corrupt practices as the norm, with everyone waiting for his/her turn. But like the mega-lottery, 99.999% of the population will NEVER benefit from it.
Majority of Nigerians have benefitted from correuption in their own little way. If you have bribed a police officer, you're corrupt. If you've slept with a lecturer to get good grades, you're corrupt. If you've broken traffic rules you're corrup. If you've syphoned money meant for other people, you're corrupt. If you're at the helm of affairs and you pay lip service to fighting corruption, you're the corruption.
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by Cine(m): 12:46pm On Jun 18, 2012
@chimuchi
its impossible. so lets just leave the imaginary imagination. no time for all these hallucinations and lets move forward. this post is like dreaming. no time.

Not true. If you'd been in China during the 80s and 90s and driven around the streets there who would have thought that today they've just overtaken Japan as the 2nd largest economy in the world, they have a growing middle class and are literally constructing new cities as we speak. There's still lots of poverty there but they're developing, no?

Nigeria's not a BRIC nation but it's an N11 (next eleven), meaning it has everything in place (natural resources & population) to overtake the European superpowers within the next 30-50 years (if it can get it's act together).

Walking around Britain in 1913 knowing that Britain was the number 1 superpower in the world. Do you really think those citizen's foresaw two world wars that would leave their economy crippled and pave the way for America to overtake them as the number 1 super power. My point being things can change.

It's no use just saying Nigeria's doomed. What are you doing to help? What will it take for citizen here to wake up and do something. I thought the fuel subsidy issue was the breaking point. I was wrong. Look at Bolivian water wars and the Cochabamba protests and know that things can quickly change.

1 Like

Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by TheShopKeeper(m): 12:46pm On Jun 18, 2012
Nepotism and its young brother called corruption has been part of our lifestyle since when Nigeria got its independence.
Actually the British started it by using 'magomago' to join the north and south together.
It will take a revolution of biblical proportion to change us.
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by ismhab(m): 12:49pm On Jun 18, 2012
WHAT A GREAT PRADISE.
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jun 18, 2012
[size=20pt]Its like imagining how it would be like if men get pregnant and give birth after 9months... Stupwid imagination right? Yessss!!!! That's how it is to imagine Nigeria without corruption[/size]
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jun 18, 2012
No imperfect human govt will give you this- Not in any part of the world. Only God can and will bring this and it won't be restricted to just Nigeria. Stop imagining, get to work.
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by Cine(m): 12:58pm On Jun 18, 2012
What the people cannot envision will forever remain elusive - We have come to accept corrupt practices as the norm, with everyone waiting for his/her turn. But like the mega-lottery, 99.999% of the population will NEVER benefit from it.

Yes I totally agree with you. Although not everyone's waiting for their turn. A lot of corruption stems from education (or lack of it) and poverty. I would love to see Nigeria look to leaders like Chavez and Morales as inspiration. Although I don't think there are too many left leaning parties in this country. It's way too conservative for my liking.
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by canuck(m): 1:01pm On Jun 18, 2012
afam4eva:
Majority of Nigerians have benefitted from correuption in their own little way. If you have bribed a police officer, you're corrupt. If you've slept with a lecturer to get good grades, you're corrupt. If you've broken traffic rules you're corrup. If you've syphoned money meant for other people, you're corrupt. If you're at the helm of affairs and you pay lip service to fighting corruption, you're the corruption.

Hmmmm. . .I see your point. While the majority practice corruption "in their own little way" (waiting for their big break), the lives of future generations are mortgaged by the big players, AKA cabals.

Using the English football league system as an analogy, most Nigerians "play" in the lower/less popular/inferior 140+ English leagues, while those in government are in the Premier League of corruption.

cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by canuck(m): 1:02pm On Jun 18, 2012
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by luvgp: 1:05pm On Jun 18, 2012
Oh what a touchy topic. South Africa wouldn't even compare to Nigeria. If only there was no corruption or should I say greediness. All I'm saying is that, there is corruption everywhere but leaders shouldn't be too greedy to invest in their own country.
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by Cine(m): 1:08pm On Jun 18, 2012
@Ijogz K
Its like imagining how it would be like if men get pregnant and give birth after 9months... Stupwid imagination right? Yessss!!!! That's how it is to imagine Nigeria without corruption

No country is corrupt free, Noam Chomsky said; that the surest way to eradicate a democracy is to transfer power to dictators, monarchs, a military junta, or large corporations. The Western world suffers from the latter. The arabs suffer from monarchs, and Nigeria a combination of all the above.

But change is defo possible. You'd be surprised.
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by drzed: 1:27pm On Jun 18, 2012
Cine:

Yes I totally agree with you. Although not everyone's waiting for their turn. A lot of corruption stems from education (or lack of it) and poverty. I would love to see Nigeria look to leaders like Chavez and Morales as inspiration. Although I don't think there are too many left leaning parties in this country. It's way too conservative for my liking.

I agree with you. But there is actually only ONE left-leaning party, which has unfortunately been unable to sell itself to the rest of Nigeria. The (lack of) education you spoke of also counts a lot. I can bet that 90% of educated Nigerians dont know the difference between a left wing and a right wing party. What more do you expect from the illiterates among us who are in the majority?

This why all parties and political campaigns in Nigeria are about manifestos and not ideology. For example our politicians/parties would always campaign and say: I will give you electricity (HURRAY!) I shall build good roads (HURRAY!) Everyone will have meat in their pot of soup (HURRAY!!!!). I shall build a house for every Nigerian (HURRAY! HURRAY!! HURRAY!!!).

The ideological question is HOW do you go about providing these things? This where left wing ideology vs. right wing ideology comes into play.

A right wing party for example, will say something like: We shall remove subsidy, and use proceeds to improve infrastructure over the course of 7 years, taxes will remain the same, we will not increase minimum wage and we shall punish corruption with death sentence. A left wing party will say something like: We shall keep the subsidy, and in fact add more subsidy to diesel, healthcare and education, we shall increase taxes by 5% and punish corrupt people with life-sentence.

As you can see, Nigeria has a LONG way to go politically; and probably up to 90% of us dont even know how far and how hard the journey will be. This is the real tragedy of our system as it is today.
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 18, 2012
drzed:

I agree with you. But there is actually only ONE left-leaning party, which has unfortunately been unable to sell itself to the rest of Nigeria. The (lack of) education you spoke of also counts a lot. I can bet that 90% of educated Nigerians dont know the difference between a left wing and a right wing party. What more do you expect from the illiterates among us who are in the majority?

This why all parties and political campaigns in Nigeria are about manifestos and not ideology. For example our politicians/parties would always campaign and say: I will give you electricity (HURRAY!) I shall build good roads (HURRAY!) Everyone will have meat in their pot of soup (HURRAY!!!!). I shall build a house for every Nigerian (HURRAY! HURRAY!! HURRAY!!!).

The ideological question is HOW do you go about providing these things? This where left wing ideology vs. right wing ideology comes into play.

A right wing party for example, will say something like: We shall remove subsidy, and use proceeds to improve infrastructure over the course of 7 years, taxes will remain the same, we will not increase minimum wage and we shall punish corruption with death sentence. A left wing party will say something like: We shall keep the subsidy, and in fact add more subsidy to diesel, healthcare and education, we shall increase taxes by 5% and punish corrupt people with life-sentence.

As you can see, Nigeria has a LONG way to go politically; and probably up to 90% of us dont even know how far and how hard the journey will be. This is the real tragedy of our system as it is today.

Now i am beginning to see smart people around us. I completely concure with all you said.. But the major challenge we have is that our people are so concerned and bothered about the present, and they completely forget/ignore the future. That is why a bastaaarrd like Gbenga Daniels can decide to come out today and say that he wants to run for the senate, drop about a Billion for campaign, and people would still vote for him.
Re: Imagine A Nigeria Without A Corrupt Nigerian. by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jun 18, 2012
Cine: @Ijogz K

No country is corrupt free, Noam Chomsky said; that the surest way to eradicate a democracy is to transfer power to dictators, monarchs, a military junta, or large corporations. The Western world suffers from the latter. The arabs suffer from monarchs, and Nigeria a combination of all the above.

But change is defo possible. You'd be surprised.
A change would only happen if we can split up.. The country is too large for Illiterates to control.. Its easier for illiterate to manage small businesses and organization.. It takes an intellectual and experienced hand to manage a multinational organization... That's the exact case we have here in Naija

(1) (2) (Reply)

Revenue Allocation Sheet: What Each State Got From FAAC From Jan To June 2014 / 2015:Buhari, Kwankwaso Part Ways / History In Pictures, Never Seen Before.. Enjoy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.