Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:21 AM

Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour (28946 Views)

Is This Always True Abt The Binis?? / Why Do Some Yorubas Like Claiming The Binis Originated From Yorubaland? / Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Patsey: 8:18pm On Jun 16, 2012
It would have been noted that apart from the Fulani people (many of who have skin colour resembling those of the Arabs), some Bini and Igbo people are light skinned. Why is this? I am proposing that in 1515 when Capuchin monks from Portugal made the first (but failed) attempt at evangelising Nigeria, these monks who operated mainly in the Bini Kingdom bleeped several Bini women whose offspring intermarried with the Delta-Igbos. These also intermarried with the Igbos, east of the Niger, and so on and so forth. Bla bla bla!

Frankly speaking, if you're light-skinned Bini or Igbo, go for blood test, you could qualify for Portuguese citizenship. lol.

4 Likes

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by member58: 8:38pm On Jun 16, 2012
shocked binis are usually not stereotyped as light. try the other tribes in edo.

the esan according to their wiki page, actually claim to have a handful mixed with kpotokis.

as for the igbos, well, it is obvious they were eager to lick british nuts. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 8:53pm On Jun 16, 2012
It would have been noted that apart from the Fulani people (many of who have skin colour resembling those of the Arabs)

most fulanis are dark.

1 Like

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 8:55pm On Jun 16, 2012
Why is this? I am proposing that in 1515 when Capuchin monks from Portugal made the first (but failed) attempt at evangelising Nigeria, these monks who operated mainly in the Bini Kingdom bleeped several Bini women whose offspring intermarried with the Delta-Igbos. These also intermarried with the Igbos, east of the Niger, and so on and so forth. Bla bla bla!

why capuchin monks and not araboids from somewhere?

i doubt the current batch of light skin would be from as far back as that sha.

bodi no be wood, as they say.

read between the lines perhaps.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 8:58pm On Jun 16, 2012
besides, there may have been white women in bini kingdom.

i think i read somewhere that the oba specifically asked for a white woman, and one was sent to him, although i dont know if she stayed.

anyone who wishes to disprove this, is free to do so. Like i said, i read it somewhere.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by member58: 9:03pm On Jun 16, 2012
^

do not mistake the oba of benin for the olu of itsekiri who married a kpotoki woman.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Patsey: 9:32pm On Jun 16, 2012
#%&@:
^ do not mistake the oba of benin for the olu of itsekiri who married a kpotoki woman.

You're right. At the beginning of the 17th century, a son of the reigning Olu was sent to Portugal and returned with a Portuguese wife. Their son Antonio Domingo was Olu of Warri in the 1640s.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 10:30pm On Jun 16, 2012
ok, maybe you're right.

couldnt find any links except this one:

http://www.josephkenny.joyeurs.com/ccta/CCTA3.htm
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 10:31pm On Jun 16, 2012
Patsey:

You're right. At the beginning of the 17th century, a son of the reigning Olu was sent to Portugal and returned with a Portuguese wife. Their son Antonio Domingo was Olu of Warri in the 1640s.

any pictures of antonio domingo?
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by member58: 10:49pm On Jun 16, 2012
tpia@:
ok, maybe you're right.

couldnt find any links except this one:

http://www.josephkenny.joyeurs.com/ccta/CCTA3.htm

like i said, do not confuse the olu for the oba.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 11:04pm On Jun 16, 2012
^^couldnt find the link, so i modified my post.

maybe it was the olu of warri, cant say for sure.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by member58: 11:06pm On Jun 16, 2012
tpia@:
^^couldnt find the link, so i modified my post.

maybe it was the olu of warri, cant say for sure.

and i modified also.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 11:13pm On Jun 16, 2012
it seems oba esigie [16th century] might have brought a portuguese wife with him when he returned from portugal- not sure if he's the one i thought i read about.

just found something to that effect.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Abagworo(m): 11:15pm On Jun 16, 2012
There are a lot of light skinned blacks and it has nothing to do with white or Arab blood as the other features remain absolutely black. We(especially our women) should reduce our obsession with being light skinned.

6 Likes

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by member58: 11:22pm On Jun 16, 2012
tpia@:
it seems oba esigie [16th century] might have brought a portuguese wife with him when he returned from portugal- not sure if he's the one i thought i read about.

just found something to that effect.

a lot has been written about esigie, but having a kpotoki wife who returned with him to benin, i am yet to read about.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by member58: 11:34pm On Jun 16, 2012
Abagworo: There are a lot of light skinned blacks and it has nothing to do with white or Arab blood as the other features remain absolutely black. We(especially our women) should reduce our obsession with being light skinned.

i wonder.

and if arabs and europeans are the only source of light skin, so who are the light skinned yorubas mixed with? kpotokis also? or descendants of brazilian slaves? lol.

but hey, u gotta give everyone a chance to feed into the stereotype. altho, i do believe igbos licked a lot of british nuts though. grin

4 Likes

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by OneNaira6: 11:34pm On Jun 16, 2012
Wow. The europeans have really messed you guys opinion on blacks too much till the point you are giving them credit for something found within you.

There are many lightskin blacks including africans whom are 100% black.

SMH.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jun 16, 2012
Patsey: It would have been noted that apart from the Fulani people (many of who have skin colour resembling those of the Arabs), some Bini and Igbo people are light skinned. Why is this? I am proposing that in 1515 when Capuchin monks from Portugal made the first (but failed) attempt at evangelising Nigeria, these monks who operated mainly in the Bini Kingdom bleeped several Bini women whose offspring intermarried with the Delta-Igbos. These also intermarried with the Igbos, east of the Niger, and so on and so forth. Bla bla bla!

Frankly speaking, if you're light-skinned Bini or Igbo, go for blood test, you could qualify for Portuguese citizenship. lol.

Psychotic Bigot!!

I'm Yoruba and light-skinned - and I'm 100% African..

4 Likes

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 11:49pm On Jun 16, 2012
lol, there's no mention of Oba Esigie or a Benin king from any time having a Portuguese wife anywhere (tradition or documents), but I can't rule out the possibility just on that alone. Kings had many wives back in those days.

It was an Olu of Warri, Don Domingos, that was known to have a Portuguese wife. I remember coming across the specific source for this. He married a Portuguese noblewoman, though I don't have access to the book which mentions her specific name (it's known) right now.

@ Patsey

Binis do not have a significant frequency of "lightskinned-ness" compared to some other surrounding groups such as Igbo or Ibibio. Meet actual Binis in large numbers, take a look around and you'll confirm it for yourself. The majority of us are "dark brown" to "medium" brown if you understand what I mean. So your theory kind of falls flat there. Binis are not one of those groups you can list with Igbo or Ibibio as a group that has a significant number of lighter skinned people.

By the way, why is it that "Caucasians" vary in skin color from an almost white paleness (think of the skin color of so called "ginger kids" or "gingers" ) to a more pinkish color or a pale beige color without claims of intermarrying with non-European groups, but people assume that once any black people aren't as dark as some Southern Sudanese (some of which might be even darker on average than some of the West African blacks who are considered dark enough not to be questioned about being mixed - a major problem for your argument), they're mixed with non-blacks? "Black" skin color varies, just like "White" skin color, or "Asian" skin color would.

7 Likes

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Ybutterfly: 11:58pm On Jun 16, 2012
^^^^^^^^ Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry
https://www.nairaland.com/774700/igbos-mixed-ancestry
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ifyalways(f): 12:07pm On Jun 17, 2012
Kpotoki?hilarious. Nothing wey man pikin no go hear for dis playground.

@topic,if I knew 20 bini ladies, I'd say its just 1 or 2 of them that are light skinned.IMO, from personal encounter, binis are mostly chocolate and dark coffee coloured.
Btw, I really think that this notion of igbo girls are mostly light skinned is ridiculous and untrue.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 12:20pm On Jun 17, 2012
Some binis do have fairer colour, though not too many, but i think the op's context might include parts of edo since they all used to be affiliated with benin kingdom prior to its breakup. Some areas in edo are very light and do look mixed.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 3:14am On Jun 18, 2012
What are these areas and how do they look mixed?

What group in Edo state has facial features that remind one of actual mixed blacks? Can you provide some examples of what you're referring to?

Honestly the OP's theory fell flat because it was based on the kingdom of Benin - not on areas surrounding the Benin kingdom that the Portuguese never went to and were not trying to Catholicize.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 1:58pm On Jun 18, 2012
^just some places here and there have people who are obviously mixed but without explanation for the mixture.

The op's theory is interesting no doubt, but one would have to look at other areas where capuchin monks were active, in that era, and see if the same applies there.

Meaning are there mixed looking populations in such places, with no explained links or ties to account for them.

Also, one cant discount a more recent input of foreign genes which have to be kept secret for various reasons which you can guess at.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 2:01pm On Jun 18, 2012
Btw, how do you know the monks or the europeans didnt go to other parts of benin kingdom?

They obviously went to warri and moved on to benin from there. They'd have passed other settlements while doing so.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Abagworo(m): 3:36pm On Jun 18, 2012
tpia@:
Btw, how do you know the monks or the europeans didnt go to other parts of benin kingdom?

They obviously went to warri and moved on to benin from there. They'd have passed other settlements while doing so.

Please in the name of Amadioha stop talking about this mixed theory. It disgusts me. I've seen many fair people from Uromi and Ubiaja but I've not sampled enough of them to determine the frequency but one thing for sure is that they are pure blacks like myself.

1 Like

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 4:06pm On Jun 18, 2012
^^your discomfort with the subject doesnt mean others shouldnt discuss it?

all you have to do is not click on the thread title.

i have no idea where uromi or ubiaja are, dont know what you're talking about.

are you referring to pat utomi and if so, would you be disturbed to find out he has non-black dna in his ancestry?
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Abagworo(m): 8:58pm On Jun 18, 2012
tpia@:
^^your discomfort with the subject doesnt mean others shouldnt discuss it?

all you have to do is not click on the thread title.

i have no idea where uromi or ubiaja are, dont know what you're talking about.

are you referring to pat utomi and if so, would you be disturbed to find out he has non-black dna in his ancestry?

If you are a Nigerian and you aren't stuck to your locality, you should have known Uromi and Ubiaja are towns in the Esan speaking part of Edo State. Up in the Northern part of Edo in the Etsako area, you might get some Fulani mix but that is all. Maybe you met one of such Fulani mixed families and concluded that Edo people are mixed.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 10:14pm On Jun 18, 2012
tpia@:
^just some places here and there have people who are obviously mixed but without explanation for the mixture.

The op's theory is interesting no doubt, but one would have to look at other areas where capuchin monks were active, in that era, and see if the same applies there.

Meaning are there mixed looking populations in such places, with no explained links or ties to account for them.

Also, one cant discount a more recent input of foreign genes which have to be kept secret for various reasons which you can guess at.

I actually wanted some specifics about "who" "where" and why you thought they looked mixed. Not "some places here and there" and not an assertion of "obviously mixed" without any elaboration on what's so "obviously" mixed about them.

The fact that the group in that area that seems (from available evidence) to have had the most interaction with the Portuguese - the Bini - is darkskinned on average and rarely light compared to some other Nigerian groups should tell you that the OP's theory has basically nothing going for it. And as I said before, there are blacks in other places in Africa such as southern Sudan who seem to be clearly darker on average than some allegedly "unmixed" black groups in West Africa, so we already know that there's a natural variation in skin color among black populations independent of mixing with non blacks and we'd need to base conjectures about groups being mixed on something more than just skin color.

2 Likes

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 10:26pm On Jun 18, 2012
tpia@:

I honestly don't know that they didn't go to other parts of the kingdom of Benin, but there's also nothing I've come across to suggest that they actually did go to and stay in, much less try to Catholicize anywhere beyond the Bini area. And even then, their presence in the Bini area seems to have been limited to Ughoton and the capital (there's not even any mention of them going to Udo or Urhonigbe for example).

But if you've come across a source showing they might have had a presence elsewhere, please post it.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 2:33am On Jun 19, 2012
Abagworo:

If you are a Nigerian and you aren't stuck to your locality, you should have known Uromi and Ubiaja are towns in the Esan speaking part of Edo State. Up in the Northern part of Edo in the Etsako area, you might get some Fulani mix but that is all. Maybe you met one of such Fulani mixed families and concluded that Edo people are mixed.

are etsako and esan the only places you know?
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 2:35am On Jun 19, 2012
PhysicsQED:

I actually wanted some specifics about "who" "where" and why you thought they looked mixed. Not "some places here and there" and not an assertion of "obviously mixed" without any elaboration on what's so "obviously" mixed about them.

The fact that the group in that area that seems (from available evidence) to have had the most interaction with the Portuguese - the Bini - is darkskinned on average and rarely light compared to some other Nigerian groups should tell you that the OP's theory has basically nothing going for it. And as I said before, there are blacks in other places in Africa such as southern Sudan who seem to be clearly darker on average than some allegedly "unmixed" black groups in West Africa, so we already know that there's a natural variation in skin color among black populations independent of mixing with non blacks and we'd need to base conjectures about groups being mixed on something more than just skin color.

the op specified light skin, but it doesnt mean light skin is the only indicator of non-black dna. Its just the easiest or most visible evidence, that's all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Where Yoruba And Igbo Peoples Meet - Ugbodu, Delta State. / Things Nigerians Call Twice / Ooni Of Ife & Saheed Elegushi At Olubadan's Coronation (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.