Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,458 members, 7,801,140 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:24 AM

Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) (5783 Views)

Nigeria At 55: The 10 Biggest Cultural Groups In Nigeria / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri / The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 12:27am On Jun 17, 2012
Yoruboid is a group of languages composed of Igala, a language spoken in central Nigeria, and the Edekiri group, the members of which are spoken in a band across Togo, Benin and southwestern Nigeria. The name Yoruboid derives from its most widely spoken member, Yoruba, which has more than 20 million speakers. Another well-known Yoruboid language is Itsekiri (Nigeria, 600,00-800,000 speakers). The Yoruboid group is a branch of Defoid, which itself is a branch of the Benue–Congo subfamily of the Niger–Congo language family.

Igala is a key Yoruboid language, spoken by 1.8 million people in the Niger-Benue confluence of central Nigeria, it is excised from the main body of Yoruboid languages to the west by Ebirra and the Edo languages. Igala is closely related to both Yoruba and Itsekiri languages.

All Yoruboid languages are tonal, with most of them having three level tones. Grammatically, they are isolating with a subject–object–verb basic word order.

The Itsekiri's are a riverine Yoruboid people who live in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. They maintain a distinct identity separate from other Yoruboid people. Their neighbours are the Urhobos, The Ijaws, and the Mahin Ilaje, a Yoruba clan.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 12:27am On Jun 17, 2012
!
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 1:01am On Jun 17, 2012
And owing to the linguistic affinity, others affirm the Yoruba connections. For Byng Halt notes that, "It is not surprising that within a short period of arrival in Igala land, a Yoruba is well acquainted with the language.” He attributes the ease in learning the language to the closeness of the two languages. Armstrong sticks to this same view when he said: "the most definite historical statement that can be made about Igala is that . they had a common origin with the Yoruba and that the separation took place long enough ago to allow for their fairly considerable linguistic differences. There is a whole corpus of oral traditions on the origin of the Igala people.

The tradition, which holds that the Igala has the same origin with the Yoruba seem to be a plausible one. This humble submission is based on the fact that the Igala language has a lot in common with the Yoruba. Okwoli supports this view when he said: "When people speak the same language. or related languages, there is every reason to believe that they have common origin or have met somewhere.

http://igalaassociationusa.org/ViewContent.aspx?id=13
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 12:52am On Jun 20, 2012
Intelligent response, plz..
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ptolomeus(m): 4:52pm On Jun 20, 2012
shymmex:
The Yoruboid group is a branch of Defoid, which itself is a branch of the Benue–Congo subfamily of the Niger–Congo language family
Dear friend:
Your article is extremely interesting, and I have read carefully.
I do not speak English, I use translator, so I may not understand all of the above. I am a researcher of culture, traditions and stories Yoruba. I've surprised a little, with his claim that the Yoruba line descended from Congo.
Could you expand a little on that?.
I would like to clarify that my only intention is to learn and exchange knowledge, I do not critique any opinion, and I'm not questioning your comment, at all!.
I am interested in having a dialogue with you.
I express my respect, and thank you for the beautiful article!
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ngodigha1(m): 5:43pm On Jun 20, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Dear friend:
Your article is extremely interesting, and I have read carefully.
I do not speak English, I use translator, so I may not understand all of the above. I am a researcher of culture, traditions and stories Yoruba. I've surprised a little, with his claim that the Yoruba line descended from Congo.
Could you expand a little on that?.
I would like to clarify that my only intention is to learn and exchange knowledge, I do not critique any opinion, and I'm not questioning your comment, at all!.
I am interested in having a dialogue with you.
I express my respect, and thank you for the beautiful article!
I can't believe you are serious with this land-grabbers and tribalists here. What a joke. The thread itself is a joke. Do not be deceived, the Itsekiris, Igalas and Yorubas are not same, nor close. They are independent nations.Posters of yoruba origin are fond of claiming their neighbours. But it is wrong.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ptolomeus(m): 5:48pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ngodigha1:
I can't believe you are serious with this land-grabbers and tribalists here. What a joke. The thread itself is a joke. Do not be deceived, the Itsekiris, Igalas and Yorubas are not same, nor close. They are independent nations.Posters of yoruba origin are fond of claiming their neighbours. But it is wrong.
Dear friend:
Maybe I'm very naive.
My role in the forum is to exchange information with the utmost seriousness. I do not think being tribalist is something offensive.
I appreciate the warning.
I deeply regret that (whether one or whether others) tease or not properly respect such serious matters as the history of a nation.
My respects.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ngodigha1(m): 9:54pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Dear friend:
Maybe I'm very naive.
My role in the forum is to exchange information with the utmost seriousness. I do not think being tribalist is something offensive.
I appreciate the warning.
I deeply regret that (whether one or whether others) tease or not properly respect such serious matters as the history of a nation.
My respects.
It is a pity you did not understand my post. What I mean is that you have nothing to learn from this idiotic thread. The truth is not told and the aim is to see independent nations cajoled and pushed to surrender their independence to the ethnic group pf the poster and his fellow bigots.
What a wrong place to learn.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ptolomeus(m): 10:35pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ngodigha1:
It is a pity you did not understand my post. What I mean is that you have nothing to learn from this idiotic thread. The truth is not told and the aim is to see independent nations cajoled and pushed to surrender their independence to the ethnic group pf the poster and his fellow bigots.
What a wrong place to learn.

Right.
I really thank you.
I am a foreigner, I am a researcher of the Yoruba culture, and of course the thread I found interesting.
I do not understand the intent of such persons as opening a thread so I think something very aggressive, aggressive free.
I deeply appreciate your kindness.
You're very kind.
I send you a friendly greeting
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ngodigha1(m): 11:16pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Right.
I really thank you.
I am a foreigner, I am a researcher of the Yoruba culture, and of course the thread I found interesting.
I do not understand the intent of such persons as opening a thread so I think something very aggressive, aggressive free.
I deeply appreciate your kindness.
You're very kind.
I send you a friendly greeting
Thank you.
If there is a thread that seeks to educate the yorubas about their history, this yoruba fools in this thread will go silent, because they have nothing to offer rather than bigotry. There was a thread about Yoruba civil wars and that thread brought the best Yoruba brains together. Search for it.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ngodigha1:
Thank you.
If there is a thread that seeks to educate the yorubas about their history, this yoruba fools in this thread will go silent, because they have nothing to offer rather than bigotry. There was a thread about Yoruba civil wars and that thread brought the best Yoruba brains together. Search for it.

Why do you always spam my threads? Why do you care about who is Yoruba, or not?

1 Like

Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ngodigha1(m): 11:37pm On Jun 21, 2012
shymmex:

Why do you always spam my thread? Why do you care about who is Yoruba, or not?
That is what happens to bigots. Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jun 21, 2012
Ngodigha1:
That is what happens to bigots. Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand.

Repent for what, you prick..

I didn't classify them as Yoruboid, the Igala and Itsekiri people themselves did.. My post was culled from the Igala people's website..

Go write letters to Ikwerre people, and stop spamming my thread.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ngodigha1(m): 11:55pm On Jun 21, 2012
shymmex:

Repent for what, you prick..

I didn't classify them as Yoruboid, the Igala and Itsekiri people themselves did.. My post was culled from the Igala people's website..

Go write letters to Ikwerre people, and stop spamming my thread.
Then you should have allowed the Itsekiris and Igalas start this moronic thread. Why you?. You should be contented with what you have, longer throat will send you to early grave, lil boy.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jun 21, 2012
[s]
Ngodigha1:
Then you should have allowed the Itsekiris nad Igalas start this moronic thread. Why you?. You should be contented with what you have, longer throat will send you to early grave, lil boy.
[/s]

Can you stop spamming my thread?
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ngodigha1(m): 12:03am On Jun 22, 2012
shymmex: [s][/s]

Can you stop spamming my thread?

Because your thread is insulting Igalas and Itsekiris.
Stop it for heavens sake.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by amor4ce(m): 3:26am On Jun 22, 2012
Ptolemeus, please understand that some peoples hate the Yoruba so much. The Itsekiri know that they are one with the Yoruba but some Igbo just want to paint the Yoruba negatively.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 22, 2012
^^^Thank you, brother.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ptolomeus(m): 7:03pm On Jun 22, 2012
amor4ce: Ptolemeus, please understand that some peoples hate the Yoruba so much. The Itsekiri know that they are one with the Yoruba but some Igbo just want to paint the Yoruba negatively.

Dear friend:
Thank you for your intervention.
You add seriousness.
Actually I have been involved in a problem unintentionally.
Do you know of my deep respect for the Yoruba ... I have been baffled. My intention in the forum, is above all things, to exchange information on the Yoruba, but unfortunately it is difficult to talk about it ...
Please accept my best regards!
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ngodigha1(m): 10:07pm On Jun 22, 2012
amor4ce: Ptolemeus, please understand that some peoples hate the Yoruba so much. The Itsekiri know that they are one with the Yoruba but some Igbo just want to paint the Yoruba negatively.
No body hates the yorubas but some yoruba nairalanders are bigoted. That is too bad.
I believe people should respect one another. The groups who are neighbours to the yorubas respects the yorubas and the yorubas should act likewise. You hardly see any itsekiri, Igbira, Nupe, Igala etc saying that yoruba is Igaloid etc. It is always the yorubas coming up with this sort of imbecilic claims. It really has to stop. Respect one another.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by amor4ce(m): 10:14pm On Jun 22, 2012
Ngodigha1:
Using your metric, isn't this post of yours imbecilic? You have not shown which other Nigerian language, apart from Yoruba, is closer to Igala, nor have you provided any proof of your assertion that Yoruba and Itsekiri are not close despite the tons of evidence to the contrary.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ngodigha1(m): 10:20pm On Jun 22, 2012
amor4ce: Using your metric, isn't this post of yours imbecilic? You have not shown which other Nigerian language, apart from Yoruba, is closer to Igala, nor have you provided any proof of your assertion that Yoruba and Itsekiri are not close despite the tons of evidence to the contrary.
Through inter-group relations, a lot of groups have borrowed words from one another. It is no big deal if you have yoruba words in itsekiri etc. But attempt to claim them is a foul play and shameless greed. In as much as those groups respect the yorubas, the yorubas should do same.
Thieves, enough is enough.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by flairlady(f): 10:26pm On Jun 22, 2012
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ngodigha1(m): 10:37pm On Jun 22, 2012
flairlady: Am igala and am still wondering how igala is yoruboid,we are an independent tribe abeg,we have got totally different cultures from the yoruba people.
Thank you and God bless you. Igalas are peace-loving people and they respect their neighbours. It is an outright stupidity for some bigots here to classify Igala as yoruboid. God forbid.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jun 22, 2012
-
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ngodigha1(m): 10:47pm On Jun 22, 2012
No be today. That article and website was created by a bigoted yoruba to claim Igalas as part of them It is a failed mission. Igalas, Itsekiris are wise.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by ronkebp(f): 10:49pm On Jun 22, 2012
Ngodigha1: No be today. That article and website was created by a bigoted yoruba to claim Igalas as part of them It is a failed mission. Igalas, Itsekiris are wise.

Why are you so bitter...... hummm smiley smiley smiley

It is just a post, we yorubas do not need the Igalas and itsekiris, we are even more than complete...no need to throw insults around...man!!!wink wink.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by Ngodigha1(m): 11:03pm On Jun 22, 2012
ronkebp:

Why are you so bitter...... hummm smiley smiley smiley

It is just a post, we yorubas do not need the Igalas and itsekiris, we are even more than complete...no need to throw insults around...man!!!wink wink.
No ronke, you got it wrong. yorubas are nice but 98% of yorubas in nairaland are bloody liars. They only go about claiming people who are not yoruba as yoruba. It is an insult to those groups. How would yorubas feel if Igalas, nupes etc go about making a mockery of the yorubas all the time. I believe in respect and one love.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by flairlady(f): 12:17am On Jun 23, 2012
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by odumchi: 12:25am On Jun 23, 2012
@Shymmex and co

Take am easy.
Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by odumchi: 12:31am On Jun 23, 2012
Let me just add something I noticed...

It seems as if you guys have misunderstood the suffix '-oid'. That suffix only refers to languages and not to ethnic groups as whole. In this case, the Igala language is said to be Yoruboid; that doesn't mean the Igala ethnicity is Yoruba or anything like that. If it did, then Igala would've been a sub-group or clan (whichever you choose to call it) of Yoruba and not it's own ethnicity.

Igala is an ethnic nationality which is separate from Yoruba. However, the Igala language is said to be 'Yoruboid'. Remember, people are never 'oids', languages are.

That's just my two cents.

1 Like

Re: Yoruboid Groups in Nigeria (Including Igala and Itsekiri) by odumchi: 12:38am On Jun 23, 2012
Another (or perhaps more proper) example would be the Romance languages. The French and Spanish languages are said to be descended from the Latin people of Italy. However, that doesn't mean that French and Spanish speakers descended (or haw any affinity) with the Latin people. The bulk of the French people are descended from the Franks (Germans) and the Spanish from the Visigoths, however, their languages are Romance; they aren't.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help Naming A Character / Funny Yoruba Language Learners. / 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.