Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,499 members, 7,808,848 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:51 PM

Is Offering In The Church Compulsory? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Offering In The Church Compulsory? (2599 Views)

Man Caught Stealing From Church Offering In Lagos / 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church / 27-year-old Man Jailed For Stealing Church Offering In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Offering In The Church Compulsory? by ukwubuego(f): 5:56pm On Nov 27, 2007
Is church sunday offering a compulsory act?

I thought it is a thing of the heart, as in you offering wholeheartedly when u have? why are some churches making it compulsory for their members now. Imagine my cousin borrowing money for offertory and just last sunday she didn't go to church because she didn't have money for to offer, I don't think it is right for one to borrow money for sunday collection abi what do you people think about this?
Re: Is Offering In The Church Compulsory? by dot2002(m): 6:00pm On Nov 27, 2007
Your topic is genius, personally i don't subscribe to paying monies by means other than when i deemed it fit to pay. Some preacher kept going on and on about sowing and reaping until your vessel over flows and shit like that. It don't work wif me man all such preaching to grown up men of God like me is just a load of hot air,
Re: Is Offering In The Church Compulsory? by Kobojunkie: 2:02am On Nov 28, 2007
ukwubuego:

I thought it is a thing of the heart, as in you offering wholeheartedly when u have? why are some churches making it compulsory for their members now. Imagine my cousin borrowing money for offertory and just last sunday she didn't go to church because she didn't have money for to offer, I don't think it is right for one to borrow money for sunday collection abi what do you people think about this?

Here is the thing. Are you concluding that the fault is with the church cause your cousin decided to borrow money /skip church cause of this?? I know people, infact a lot of Nigerians in church who skip church cause of offering and yet it has nothing to do with the church but their own conceited ideas of how things ought to be for them. Some people have this idea that if people do not see them throwing something into the offering basket, that it is just not right, infact a shame. Do you then blame the church for such?? I think you should investigate your cousin and make sure he/she does not fall in that category first, before you point your finger at the church. I remember people who would borrow clothing from friends every sunday so they can stand out in church. I don't believe that has much to do with the church either. I myself have had to spend years in church without giving offering, when I had none to give. I noticed then that no one really cares if you give or not. I mean there are those who place such on their list of things to focus on each sunday but I really do not believe those people matter much. Sure there are the few churches that try to push people to give cause the bills in the church does not pay for itself but I still say we should all look in our own hearts when it has to do with matters that relate to how we choose to worship God, church or not.
Re: Is Offering In The Church Compulsory? by Nobody: 2:12am On Nov 28, 2007
ukwubuego:

No it's not.
You should not give what you don't have.

My sister this your name na wa
ukwubuego=my hips na money
Re: Is Offering In The Church Compulsory? by dafidixone(m): 9:58am On Nov 28, 2007

Tithes is Compulsory. Other Offerins are voluntary. However, I like to inform you that the Lord is always happy withCheerful givers of all offering. If you are not happy with what you want to give to God don't bother yourselve.

Also it may interest you to know that "Love of money is the root of all evil" When you capitalised on the fact that other offering apart from tithes are voluntary and you don't give to God, Watch Out you are begining to love money!
Re: Is Offering In The Church Compulsory? by cgift(m): 11:24am On Nov 28, 2007
When it comes to Church offerings, itis not mandatory butGod values it since it is a means of funding the activities of the church. If thechurch is into the true and pure worship, itwould be doing serveral charity workslike going to prison, helping motherless, widpows/widowers etc. Therefore, offerings come readily handy. It also hasto pay salaries ofcleaners and all other workers in the church. Offerings generally, will cater for this need.

Due to this and many more, it is pertinent to go to church with offerings especially if God has given you the means.
In Deut. 16: 16 - 17, quite a relevant passage God says , And they shall not appear beforethe Lord empty, You might say scripture is quite remote or very specific to that particularceremony of the Feast of the UnleavenedBread, it nevertheless tells you that God cherishes going to church with something to drop!

Also remember that God says as long as heaven and earth remains, seed time and harvesttimewill not cease (Gen. 8:22)! So, keep on sowing, for on this earth you shall reap the very rewards if you do it with a good heart!

Cheers!
Re: Is Offering In The Church Compulsory? by MP007(m): 4:21am On Nov 29, 2007
how will the church surviive if you dont give offerings, tithes are compulsory, read your bible, support the growth of your church and the work of God by giving offerings, thanks!
Re: Is Offering In The Church Compulsory? by biomic(f): 4:30am On Nov 29, 2007
Givin offering is not a compulsory act

if u dont av it ---u just dont!!!!!

if u av give
Re: Is Offering In The Church Compulsory? by Paul412(m): 3:47pm On Nov 29, 2007
Giving to the offering should not be an act of Religious Duty, but an act of Love to God the Father. There are 3 areas in which you can Tithe to God: Time, Talent and Treasure. If you genuinely don't have any treasure (money, or possessions to sell to get the money) to tithe to God, tithe your time (the time you are awake) and talent. We all have those time and talents, it's just that we don't always use them right, or honour God with them. That is what I'm striving to do in my life, that God may be Glorified.

It is up to you to make the first move, and then God will reward you accordingly. For anyone who has a Bible, I would like to guide you to Malachi 3:10-12.

God Bless,
Paul

1 Like

Re: Is Offering In The Church Compulsory? by ukwubuego(f): 10:12am On Dec 11, 2007
Paul bro thanks alot
Re: Is Offering In The Church Compulsory? by Kobojunkie: 4:47pm On Dec 11, 2007
Those who have but CHOOSE NOT TO give offering or TITHE are labeled as THIEVES in the Bible. LMAO!!! if you do not give offering, YOU BE THIEF!!!
Re: Is Offering In The Church Compulsory? by 2shuz: 4:56pm On Aug 31, 2016
2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver

Tithe is different from offering. Offerings is not compulsory but it is encouraged to give because it opens doors. People have testified and are just sharing that know ledge.

People just assume that's "not giving" means you are not obeying God. It helps the church that's why you should give but not if you dont have. The church pays bills, the chair you seat in, the communion you partake in, the instruments you dance to ....money dey maintain and bring all of them. So it's good to support he church when you can but it is not compulsory. Offering is also thanksgiving to God, for appreciation. And you know not everybody things that saying " thank you" is ok.

Freedom in Christ!!! That is the power to do everything according to your desire. Giving and not giving us the same thing

But when you steal and come and give offering / tithe you are on your own. Probably like that pharisee who Jesus compared to the widow who gave her might.

(1) (Reply)

Christians Why Do Muslims ‘expect No Criticism’ And Why Do You Aid And Abet Them / Why Do Atheists Talk Badly About God But Never About The Evil One Satan?* / Are Ooo(olumba Olumba Obu) Followers Being Ostracised Wrongly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.