Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:41 AM

1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. (1608 Views)

1 Corinthians 1:17-31 The Worst Passage In The Bible / Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 / What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Image123(m): 11:36pm On Jun 21, 2012
1Cor 14:1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
We should pursue love, and make love our aim. Desire the gift of prophecy. Prophecy in the NT is not as directive as in the OT. In the NT, we don’t have to go mainly via a prophet to know God’s will. Prophecy is exhortation or building up, encouraging or challenging

1Cor 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
Speaking in tongues primarily involves speaking to God, not to men. No man understands him. This sort of tongue builds up only the speaker, unlike prophecy which builds up everyone. There is though another kind of tongue-gift that can be interpreted/should be interpreted to edify the listener. But primarily, tongues is speaking to God.
1Cor 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
1Cor 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Prophecy is better than speaking in tongues, and it is even the wish of the Apostle that all prophecied.

1Cor 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh, with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh, with tongues,

All can prophesy and God wants all to. Prophesy can just be sharing God’s Word briefly to exhort. But there is the office of the prophet, like the office of the pastor or evangelist. In the office, there is a greater measure of the gift. Tongues with interpretation is equated to prophesying, showing how great a gift the Spirit of God rates prophesying unlike we men that prefer to speak in an unknown tongue for show-off.
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Image123(m): 11:39pm On Jun 21, 2012
1Cor 14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?
Apart from speaking to God which is the primary tongues gift that edifies oneself and is speaking of mysteries as said in verse2, this verse teaches that a tongue can also be used for a) Revelation, b) word of knowledge, c) prophecy, d) doctrine or teaching.
So it means that the Spirit of God has shown us 5 uses of tongues gift, the first and primary one been praying/speaking to God. The other four uses are speaking to men, and only become useful when interpreted. For any of these four uses, there has to be clarity of interpretation, else the person does not need disturb others(us). The next three verses give reasons why.
1Cor 14:7 And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?
1Cor 14:8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?
1Cor 14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

There should always be a balance in the christian life. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Christian should not live off the cliff. There is the balance of faith and works, charity and spiritual gifts, tongues and prophecying. We should not despise any or exclude any. We need both.

1Cor 14:10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.
Here we have another dimension of tongues gift. Speaking in tongues MAY be speaking in another world language, like say Chinese, Spanish, Hausa. In this case, there may not necessarily be a need for an interpreter as it acts usually as a sign to the unbeliever. This is different from the tongue trhat speaks mysteries to God that verse 2 says NO MAN understands him. It’s slightly different from thje one that is a message for the believers in the church when interpreted i.e the revelation, doctrine, prophecy one.
1Cor 14:11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.
1Cor 14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

Whatever gift we have or use. It should be primarily with the aim of building up the church, not for show off or for making money. seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
Many people want to turn to demi-gods with their gifts, some demand for pay at all cost, these is not right whatever the gift or skill.

1Cor 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
1Cor 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

We should not be discouraged or hide whatever gift God has given us. Instead, we can pray to be able to use them more, and God does answer when we ask.

1Cor 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
Here is the balance again. God wants us to pray in our natural tongues, and also in other tongues also. Do not neglect one or despise one. Many ‘hate’ anything that deals with speaking in tongues, and try to mock it. Some others love to ‘skabbash’ forever. Let’s be like Paul the apostle, I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

1Cor 14:16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
This verse indicates that Paul has a gathering in mind. Our purpose of leading others in prayer or in singing or whatever is to edify them, not ourselves. It’s unfair to come to lead us in prayer and continue blasting in tongues, you are only edifying yourself, except there is an interpretation. If you cannot interpret or there is no one with the gift to interpret in the meeting, please do this blastings in private or at home or to yourself. It’s unfortunate that the opposite is exalted in many of our churches today. The one leading in prayers arrogantly says that he is talking to God and doesn’t have to interpret. If you want to talk to God, go and sit down and talk, and allow someone who has a word from God to edify or correct or build or teach us to speak. Let someone else lead us in clear prayer requests, that we may call on God in one accord like the early Christians did, and the place may be shaken and we all be edified.
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Image123(m): 11:41pm On Jun 21, 2012
1Cor 14:17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.
1Cor 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Paul was not despising the gift. He even thanked God for it. Many people are quickly of the opinion that if a person talks down something or speaks against something, then he is jealous, or he hates that thing. No! Paul wasn’t jealous of the baby Corinthians speaking in tongues, neither was he hating on the gift. He also had the gift, and spoke in tongues even more than the Corinthians. He knew how to exercise his gifts, instead of just show off or selfish interests in the house of God.

1Cor 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
Yet in the church. We need to know that there is a difference when we are in church and before others. Some people just act selfish with the excuse that they are before God and no one should ‘judge’ their actions. We are not in the church to impress others, but to instruct and impart. The gift of tongues is primarily a private gift. Paul spoke thousands in private but would rather speak five words with his understanding. This is the way of God’s Spirit. We would do well to adjust, and renew our minds to this.

1Cor 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
Be mature.

1Cor 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
1Cor 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Here is what I mentioned earlier about tongues been a sign to unbelievers. A very good example is like on the day of Pentecost. Many spoke in other human languages, and the unbelievers were convinced and 3000 souls were added to the church. This is not the speaking of mysteries to God that no man understands. This is not the tongue that nobody understands except the interpreter, that one is to the believers for knowledge, doctrine, revelation. This one is, not to them that believe, at least primarily. This also happens many times with evangelists or missionaries in foreign lands. It is real and still happens today. There are testimonies where one is supposedly praying in tongues, while a passerby or a foreign neighbor is surprisingly hearing a direct warning or message. This type of tongue may not be common or necessary in a place where everybody gathered understands one another. The Spirit of God doesn’t do show-off, He acts with holy purpose.

1Cor 14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
Obviously, this is not the tongue that is a sign to the unbeliever, where the speaker probably speaks in the unbelievers’mother tongue. The tongue here is likely the one to be spoken to God, or the one spoken for revelation without interpreter
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Image123(m): 11:47pm On Jun 21, 2012
1Cor 14:24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:
1Cor 14:25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

Prophecy convicts of sin, it is revelation that instructs more perfectly in the ways of God. It’s not all these petty prediction of scores, or subverting of souls common in false prophets. In the case of false prophets, they take center stage, and glory in the heart of the listener. There is no focus or nearness to God, there is no correction or conviction to holy living. It’s all about how the ‘prophet’ would controlling the life and decisions of the listeners.

1Cor 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
Let all things be done unto edifying. This is emphasized as the goal. Here we see how the church meetings were conducted in the early church. It’s not about democracy, or about what’s reigning/popular, or making everyone happy with the pastor. Everything has to be done to edification and after a particular order.

1Cor 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
1Cor 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Very clearly, the mode for speaking in tongues in a church gathering is again stated. If there is no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church. let him keep silence in the church. He’s simply saying that the tongue talker should not come up to blow tongues on everybody but either speak to himself, and of course to God. He can stay at his seat and speak to God without disrupting or disturbing others. It’s not saying he can’t say Amen, alleluia, etc, exchange pleasantries, or join in congregational singing. He is in the context of coming out to speak in tongues TO the congregation of believers. Interpretation by the way, may not be as direct as translation. Translation involves more of word for word, but interpretation may be of the thought line of the tongues. And it should not take the whole course of program. Let it be by two, or at the most b three, and in order.

1Cor 14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
There should be discernment/judgement when prophets reveal, speak, exhort. Prophecy/revelation is supposed to be in line with the written Word of God. Many people fall pray to man of God said, man of God said even when he is clearly against what the Bible teaches. Our practices should be in line with the Bible. We shouldn’t be carried away with signs, angels,visions, dreams, spirits and spiritual displays of “thus saith the Lord, my daughter, do this and that”. Don’t be fooled.

1Cor 14:30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

let the first hold his peace, meaning wait for the first person to keep silence. This is opposed to the misconceptions practiced where someone else just shouts and interrupts and the first speaker is forced to keep silence. The house of God should have some form of order, not confusions and politics.

1Cor 14:31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
ye may all prophesy one by one, wait for your turn. You can sit and wait, there is no message too urgent you have to disrupt the service.

1Cor 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. You can control it. If you cannot control it, it probably is not from the Spirit of God anyway. The fruit of the Spirit includes temperance i.e self-control. It is evil spirit that usually possesses one by force and without control. We can actually keep silence.
1Cor 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Image123(m): 11:51pm On Jun 21, 2012
1Cor 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

1Cor 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

Like we’ve seen, keep silence in the churches has to be looked in context. The context of the epistle already shows us that women can pray and prophesy in church gatherings as seen in 1 Corinthians 11. What he is talking of here is silence in teaching men. This is further buttressed and clearly stated in the epistle to Timothy. Of course she can sing, she can pray and lead prayers, she can prophesy, share testimonies, edify to an extent. But she is not permitted to the role of teaching men.

1Cor 14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
It’s simply not her role, it’s not about hating one gender or disrespecting one gender. Every part of the body has it’s roles to produce harmony. The ear never wishes to see at times, even though it can argue that it is also two ears and can be larger than the eyes. The brain would not play the role of the lungs. The woman is to bear the baby in the womb, its not the man’s role either. The man doesn’t have that opportunity, or to breatsfeed. The woman has zillion and one many things she can do for God’s glory, and to get great rewards in Heaven. Prayer ministry is an arguably greater ministry than teaching men. She is even permitted to teach women and children as seen/instructed in Titus. Women can be great labourers in evangelism, the Father’s main meat/business.

1Cor 14:36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?
The Word of God is not localised, the same word applies to all.

1Cor 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.
This is obviously not Paul’s idea but God’s. They are the commandments of the Lord. He says any one that is spiritual will know this, but others would continue to argue.
1Cor 14:38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.

Again,
1Cor 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
1Cor 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Nobody: 1:37am On Jun 22, 2012
in essense you agree i can speak in tongues also?
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Nobody: 7:56am On Jun 22, 2012
if you're alone in your room, speak all the tongues in the world...no one cares.

Once you're in the midst of fellow christians in church, do not speak in tongues, unless there's an interpreter.

How many of our pentecostal churches are following this today? They instruct all their members to speak gibberish at the same time...with no one to interpret their mystical mumbo-jumbo to edify the church.

1 Like

Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by ijawkid(m): 8:59am On Jun 22, 2012
uhonmora: if you're alone in your room, speak all the tongues in the world...no one cares.

Once you're in the midst of fellow christians in church, do not speak in tongues, unless there's an interpreter.

How many of our pentecostal churches are following this today? They instruct all their members to speak gibberish at the same time...with no one to interpret their mystical mumbo-jumbo to edify the church.

Very good comment....

Evrybody speaks in some gibberish and not even a soul interpretes....

So weird!!
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 22, 2012
uhonmora: if you're alone in your room, speak all the tongues in the world...no one cares.

i like that hence its not abnormal to speak in my privacy which i do subscribe to, however forbidden it outrightly, is what i will disagree to. I wish all tongue talkers will do it more and more in their privacy.
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Image123(m): 8:14pm On Jun 22, 2012
hisblud: in essense you agree i can speak in tongues also?
if you are baptised with the Holy Spirit and have the gift of tongues, then sure. go ahead
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Goshen360(m): 8:17pm On Jun 22, 2012
Great work @ Apostle Image123. Keep teaching the Kingdom of God.
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Image123(m): 9:19pm On Jun 22, 2012
Goshen360: Great work @ Apostle Image123. Keep teaching the Kingdom of God.
yes sir..
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 19, 2012
Quite a bit up there bro. And there's quite a lot to discuss. So that I would not lose all the stuff I'd love to discuss I'm gonna just pick them a few at a time.

I agree that prophecy in the NT is encouragement, building up etc etc, but it is no less directive than in the Old Testament. Prophecy actually is the declaration of the oracles/counsels of God. This is regardless whether we're talking OT or NT. Sometimes, these oracles carry foretelling of events, sometimes they don't but they're ever brimming with the heart of God.

The prophet is the man who listens to the Lord's heartbeat and who sits in council with Him. The Lord's interests overwhelm Him and rule his life. As such, he can tell what the Lord is saying of situations and realities of his environment.

The Christian is, thus, by nature a prophet. The Christian is God's ladder between heaven and earth. He is God's means of actualizing His Purposes and Counsels on earth. He is also the Guardian and Custodian of these Counsels. One brother of ours, gone now to be with the Lord identified the living "creatures" (I understand that the correct translation ought to have been 'the livings' or perhaps, 'the living ones') of Ezekiel and Revelation and the cherubim of Genesis and the ark of the Covenant as symbols of the Church in that capacity. That makes perfect sense to me.

That's about prophecy. I'm next interested in balancing this with that, for example, faith with works. Strictly speaking, there isn't exactly a balancing involved in Christ. It's absurd to, using the given example as an instance, to think of faith and works as two separate, um, well, entities or phenomena.

There is no such thing as faith where there are no works. And it is untrue that works can exist without faith. A variation of one bit of Scripture could easily be, "I believed, therefore I did" (original: 'I believed, therefore I spoke'). Even our brother James who spoke of this "balance" held that it was a lie to speak of faith where there are no works, hence his challenge for anyone claiming to have faith without works to present it offering himself to show his faith by presenting his works.

What exists in most of these "balancing" matters is essentially, at best, an imaginary, and at worst, an outrightly false dichotomy. Don't get me wrong, my brother, I did understand your point. My effort here is to take it a bit further.

The real deal is that everything in Christ has an underlying reality that gives it form, purpose and meaning. What I mean is that works are nothing if they're not founded upon Faith as far as Christ is concerned. Thus, the only works that God recognizes as such are works which are born of Faith. For Him, there is no work where there is no Faith. Same thing with Charity (Love) and spiritual gifts and everything else.

I think I should hold it here. In the course of discussion, if you'll entertain me, I'll bring in more.
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Image123(m): 11:26pm On Nov 19, 2012
Sure, my brother you're fully permitted. i should respond tomorrow.
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Image123(m): 11:20pm On Nov 20, 2012
@Ihedinobi
Thanks again for bringing up this thread. I very well understand and appreciate your post, just to make a little comment to further edifying.
I agree that prophecy in the NT is encouragement, building up etc etc, but it is no less directive than in the Old Testament. Prophecy actually is the declaration of the oracles/counsels of God. This is regardless whether we're talking OT or NT. Sometimes, these oracles carry foretelling of events, sometimes they don't but they're ever brimming with the heart of God.
Forgive my inaccuracy. i meant to use the word 'directed' instead of 'directive'. That is that the NT prophecies are not as direct as the OT's. In the sense that they are not PRIMARILY instructing others, giving directions, or telling them what to do. In the OT, you can have a foretelling very common with instructions on guiding the people to whom the prophecy was concerned. It is the system most want to use today, and most end up subjecting the other person. You'll see of some prophet telling a supposed child of God "don't go out", "don't marry so and so", "bring this or that". In the NT prophecies, there is no such PRIMARY demand. Each can hear God for himself. All the children can be led by the Spirit of God and don't have that need of 'prophecy' guidance and running to for the next step. This is what i was trying to discourage.

Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

The prophet is the man who listens to the Lord's heartbeat and who sits in council with Him. The Lord's interests overwhelm Him and rule his life. As such, he can tell what the Lord is saying of situations and realities of his environment.

The Christian is, thus, by nature a prophet. The Christian is God's ladder between heaven and earth. He is God's means of actualizing His Purposes and Counsels on earth. He is also the Guardian and Custodian of these Counsels. One brother of ours, gone now to be with the Lord identified the living "creatures" (I understand that the correct translation ought to have been 'the livings' or perhaps, 'the living ones') of Ezekiel and Revelation and the cherubim of Genesis and the ark of the Covenant as symbols of the Church in that capacity. That makes perfect sense to me.
Agreed. Its proper to not though that while all christians can prophesy and should prophesy, not all christians are prophets. The PROPHET is an office in the body of Christ.
1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

That's about prophecy. I'm next interested in balancing this with that, for example, faith with works. Strictly speaking, there isn't exactly a balancing involved in Christ. It's absurd to, using the given example as an instance, to think of faith and works as two separate, um, well, entities or phenomena.

There is no such thing as faith where there are no works. And it is untrue that works can exist without faith. A variation of one bit of Scripture could easily be, "I believed, therefore I did" (original: 'I believed, therefore I spoke'). Even our brother James who spoke of this "balance" held that it was a lie to speak of faith where there are no works, hence his challenge for anyone claiming to have faith without works to present it offering himself to show his faith by presenting his works.

What exists in most of these "balancing" matters is essentially, at best, an imaginary, and at worst, an outrightly false dichotomy. Don't get me wrong, my brother, I did understand your point. My effort here is to take it a bit further.

The real deal is that everything in Christ has an underlying reality that gives it form, purpose and meaning. What I mean is that works are nothing if they're not founded upon Faith as far as Christ is concerned. Thus, the only works that God recognizes as such are works which are born of Faith. For Him, there is no work where there is no Faith. Same thing with Charity (Love) and spiritual gifts and everything else.
i wrote this thread in the context of many arising threads then(at that time) on the issue of speaking in tongues and of women ministering. It was in this light that i wanted to bring up a balance, in not outrightly condemning speaking in tongues, or women ministering, but striving for balance and moderation as advocated in scriptures. i support your position that there is TRULY no distinction or separation, but that true faith must have works and vice versa. They go hand in hand. But there is an audience that try to believe withou works, they are the ones i'm preaching balance to. Of course a faith without works is a NO FAITH or a DEAD FAITH. there is the othe sect like the atheists who try to impress with 'good' workd, not knowing that a work without faith is DEAD WORKS or NO WORKS. i understand, agree to and appreciate your position. Just trying to be all things to all men, so thst i might save some.

I think I should hold it here. In the course of discussion, if you'll entertain me, I'll bring in more.
Please go ahead beloved, no man(me first) is an island or omniscient.

1 Like

Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Nobody: 7:44pm On Nov 21, 2012
Image123: @Ihedinobi
Thanks again for bringing up this thread. I very well understand and appreciate your post, just to make a little comment to further edifying.

Forgive my inaccuracy. i meant to use the word 'directed' instead of 'directive'. That is that the NT prophecies are not as direct as the OT's. In the sense that they are not PRIMARILY instructing others, giving directions, or telling them what to do. In the OT, you can have a foretelling very common with instructions on guiding the people to whom the prophecy was concerned. It is the system most want to use today, and most end up subjecting the other person. You'll see of some prophet telling a supposed child of God "don't go out", "don't marry so and so", "bring this or that". In the NT prophecies, there is no such PRIMARY demand. Each can hear God for himself. All the children can be led by the Spirit of God and don't have that need of 'prophecy' guidance and running to for the next step. This is what i was trying to discourage.

Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

Agreed. Its proper to not though that while all christians can prophesy and should prophesy, not all christians are prophets. The PROPHET is an office in the body of Christ.
1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

i wrote this thread in the context of many arising threads then(at that time) on the issue of speaking in tongues and of women ministering. It was in this light that i wanted to bring up a balance, in not outrightly condemning speaking in tongues, or women ministering, but striving for balance and moderation as advocated in scriptures. i support your position that there is TRULY no distinction or separation, but that true faith must have works and vice versa. They go hand in hand. But there is an audience that try to believe withou works, they are the ones i'm preaching balance to. Of course a faith without works is a NO FAITH or a DEAD FAITH. there is the othe sect like the atheists who try to impress with 'good' workd, not knowing that a work without faith is DEAD WORKS or NO WORKS. i understand, agree to and appreciate your position. Just trying to be all things to all men, so thst i might save some.

Please go ahead beloved, no man(me first) is an island or omniscient.

Ah, dear brother, I'm quite satisfied. smiley Thank you for reminding me of the existence of offices. I'd started to lose sight of that. I'll come back for more. smiley
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Image123(m): 10:23am On Nov 22, 2012
wink
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Candour(m): 10:08am On Sep 06, 2013
Seeing this thread for the first time and must admit image123 did a good job of it.

In the light of various discussions on tongues going on @ the moment, I think we all can benefit from this analysis of 1Cor 14 done by our brother

Happy reading and God bless

1 Like

Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Nobody: 9:55am On Dec 15, 2016
grin
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by Image123(m): 10:40am On Dec 15, 2016
Bump
Re: 1 Corinthians 14 Explained For Your Benefit. by KingEbukaNaija: 12:03pm On Dec 15, 2016
Nice one Image123

(1) (Reply)

Christians, Sins, And The Blood Of Jesus. / I Was Seduced By A Woman - Pastor Adeboye Reveals / Why Do Catholics Worship Mary? It Is Wrong...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.