Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,600 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:04 PM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (2039) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4390671 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2036) (2037) (2038) (2039) (2040) (2041) (2042) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sunbestie(f): 10:00am On Dec 31, 2018
lady25:

Shop is on temporary lock o..... Oga must do the do and I don't wnat hypertension . Thanks for the birthday wishes .God bless you. Let me Sama you our birthday pictures
Happy birthday to ur big boy
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AllGadgetsNG: 10:50am On Dec 31, 2018
AllGadgetsNG:
Contact 07066697724 for details or orders!!!

New Arrival!!! Kinyo SINGLE & DOUBLE SuperFast Electric Breast Pump!!!

Single: 17,000
Double: 25,000

Watch video on pump here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcVyNsSXKtY

If you want a product that is fast, gets the job done quickly, light weight and easy to carry, then Kinyo Superfast Electric breast pump is exactly what you need. You can either plug your pump into the mains when you’re at home, or use with batteries when you want to express away from home.
Most Breast Pumps around have a pressure pump rate of 80 – 200 mmHg. The Kinyo Superfast breast pump capacity ranges from 130mmHg to 340mmHg; this means it is extra fast, yet gentle on you. It is light and easy to carry around, delivering high pumping capacity that gets the job done quickly, quietly and gently.

Manufactured in China, to American Standards. Backed by 12 Months Warranty.

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by StrongWoman333(f): 10:53am On Dec 31, 2018
"Before you put that oil in that soft spot on the head of your newborn"....Please read what is "Okà orì" by Dr. Sururah

OKA ORI (BABY'S SOFT SPOT)
I was a fresh medical graduate when one of my aunt told me about her neighbour’s new born child that died of what Yoruba call ‘oka ori’, someone told me it is called "ndawa isi" in Ibo. Someone should tell me the Hausa name. She thereafter asked me what ‘oka ori’ means in medical terms (being a doctor now). Although as naïve as I was then with no practical experience, I ensured I was professional about my answer, I never heard of it before but I knew it sounded like one of those shared myths…

Since I started practicing, I came across few mothers that don’t bother asking for the meaning of ‘oka ori’, they have been handed the standard diagnosis of "Oka" by the grannies or neighbours stat. Their own question is whether they should give "agbo oka" that is native concoction or herbal remedies for the "Oka". Another category of mums have gone beyond that and have started the treatment for "Oka"; how will you know? Once you see a new baby with clean shaven head and sticky blackish substance applied to the scalp toward the front, you are seeing a child undergoing treatment for "Oka". Therefore majority don’t even know what or where the ‘oka ori’ is, but I could deduce from their history to likely referring to either the soft spot (sunken or bulging) on their baby’s head or cranial sutures.

Fast forward to when I gave birth, I was told my child has oka ori after the hair was shaved; will therefore needs concoction; I just laughed and told them politely that my baby has nothing like ‘oka ori’, although it’s hard to correct a widespread shared myth, but my child never took any concoction. My curiousity made me asked what exactly is oka ori, it was the obvious cranial suture that was pointed at…

I therefore concluded in my mind that, for me to correct the shared myth about ‘oka ori’, I need to discuss both the ‘soft spot(anterior fontannelle) and the cranial sutures’.

If you are not from Nigeria, you may be lost from the title alone. The typical Naija Mum knows what I am talking about, especially if you are from the South-Western part of the country, specifically the Yoruba tribe.

So what is this "Oka"?
The Grannies and some mums believe that there is a "hole" or "space" which is "breathing" or pulsating in the head of the new baby which is abnormal. That this soft space is not right and should not be there. Any baby that has this "abnormal space or hole" is diagnosed with "Oka". Some also believe obvious cranial sutures in associated with the hole or space breathing is a serious case of ‘oka’.

For fat, hairy babies, the "hole" is not so apparent and often ignored. However, in smaller babies who are also not gaining weight or perhaps losing weight especially in the 1st ten days of life, the space is very prominent and can even be sunken; such babies are easily labeled as having "Oka" and commenced on all forms of treatment ranging from application of substances on the scalp to drinking herbal remedies. There are lots of myths and beliefs surrounding this "Oka".

So why am I talking about "Oka"?
In addition to my encounter with ‘oka ori’, there was a story shared by a paediatrican. She said during her residency training to become a Paediatrician, she was working at the Children Emergency Room (CHER) at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital when two women rushed in with a baby crying. That is not unusual in CHER. What was terrifying about the day was when she saw the baby rushed in, he was about 2 - 3 months old and for the first time, she was seeing the brain live and direct in a living person who was not being operated. This was not a movie scene! The brain of this baby was completely visible to everyone. What happened?
In the usual fashion, the grandma who came for "omugwo" had made a diagnosis of "Oka" and has prescribed the traditional treatment which was coating the surface with a black material. Unfortunately, in this scenario, whatever substance was applied was so caustic, it eroded (burnt) away the membrane of the anterior frontanelle and you can see the baby's brain live and direct!!! Of course, this was disastrous....for baby, mother and grandma and even the doctors.

That is why I feel like educating people around me especially mums about this traditional myths and beliefs that are dangerous to children's health. Of course, granny did not mean to harm her precious grandson but she did anyway. That baby had to undergo brain surgery. Of course, he had serious infection of the brain even before and after surgery. Though he did not die, but there are long-term complications he will face all because of someone's ignorance. No wonder, ignorance is more expensive than education.

FACTS TO KNOW ABOUT "OKA"

1. An infant’s skull is made up of six separate cranial (skull) bones:
- Frontal bone
- Occipital bone
- Two parietal bones
- Two temporal bones
These bones are held together by strong, fibrous, elastic tissues called SUTURES.

Two fontanelles usually are present on a newborn’s skull:
- On the top of the middle head, just forward to center (ANTERIOR FONTANELLE) – usually closes between 18 & 24 months. During childbirth, it let the skull changes its shape so that the fetus can easily pass through the birth canal.
- In the back of the middle of the head (POSTERIOR FONTANELLE) – usually closes earlier than the fontanelle

2. Therefore, the "soft hole or space" often erroneously believed to be an abnormality is A NORMAL PART of the baby's head. It is called ANTERIOR FONTANELLE (AF). Every baby has it. It is there to allow along with the small spaces (sutures) between the different bones of the skull to accommodate the baby's brain growth. So it is not "OKA" or any other thing....It is a normal part of the baby's head.

3. The anterior fontanelle (AF) is covered by a membrane, and this membrane is what actually separates the baby's brain from the environment. It is that important! So any application of substances that can damage this membrane will lead to exposure of the brain to the environment with serious consequences like in the story above.

4. The fact that in some babies, very hairy or chubby especially, that you can not see it pulsating or "breathing" in local naija parlance does not mean it is not there. Some mums have actually said their babies do not have anterior fontanelle! That is not true....every baby is born with one!

5. Clinically, AF is very important, it usually give a clue of what is going on in the baby's system therefore treatment should be towards cause of distortion of the AF not aiming to close or treat Oka ori(AF).

6. The size and shape of the AF varies from one baby to another normally. In some conditions, it can be too big. Also the anterior fontannelle can be elevated "bulging" in some conditions especially if the baby has infections in the brain. It can be depressed "sunken" in other conditions like in babies that are very dehydrated or malnourished.

PLEASE NOTE THAT IN THESE CONDITIONS, IT IS NOT THE ANTERIOR FONTANELLE(AF) CAUSING THE DISEASE SYMPTOMS (FOR EXAMPLE DIARRHOEA AND DEHYDRATION WITH SUNKEN AF). RATHER, THE AF IS JUST REFLECTING THE FACT THAT SOMETHING IS WRONG IN THE BODY SYSTEMS.

It is important to say this because this is one of the reasons some mums believe in "OKA". Such babies are sick and may either have prominent or sunken AF in addition to other symptoms. The "OKA doctors" will now say it is the "oka" causing the symptoms.

The danger of this belief is all treatments will be directed to the AF and the underlying disease causing the change in AF will be ignored. Also some of the native medications often used have dangerous side effects and consequences especially on the immature liver and kidneys of the babies causing further damage...."fry pan to fire" scenario!!!

7. The AF closes on its own by age of 18 - 24 months. This is because more than 90% of brain growth and development has occurred by the age of 2 years. You did not need to do anything about it. It happens on its own. Just to note that some diseases can cause delay in closure of the AF. See your paediatrician if you can still feel the AF in your baby after age 2 years.

8. You did not need to apply oil to the AF hourly or daily....highly unnecessary and the dripping oil will cause rashes on the baby's face. The AF is not "drying up" like many naija mums believe. You also do not need to put thread from cloth. You also do not need to mop AF with hot water or apply any substances local or herbal on it. JUST LEAVE THE AF ALONE!!!

9. Finally if your baby is sick with or without observed changes in the AF, please go to the Hospital immediately. Don't assume and don't accept the "OKA" diagnosis. Please see your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment. A stitch in time saves nine!

If you find this piece useful, feel free to share and educate people around you. Together we can make our environment better.

Till another time, be happy.

Happy New Year in Advance.

Via Dr. Yusuf Abolu

12 Likes 7 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by FloraEC(f): 11:16am On Dec 31, 2018
Giddyperson:

Ngozika, how do you have 2 kids and still look like that shocked. It's your type that would birth 10 cuz no shaking. Come and switch body na
Give me small fat na
My village people won't let me shine, just small fat they won't allow me to gain even with the way I eat.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by FloraEC(f): 11:18am On Dec 31, 2018
sunbestie:

I don see my sister for slim body, slimmummies rock smiley smiley
Abeg make all these modeling agencies contact us this 2019 oo
U look beautiful kiss
Thanks mama
They should not ask us to wear bikini oo cos the tiger claws on my tummy ehh
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by claseek(f): 11:25am On Dec 31, 2018
lady25:

Shop is on temporary lock o..... Oga must do the do and I don't wnat hypertension . Thanks for the birthday wishes .God bless you. Let me Sama you our birthday pictures
happy birthday cutie. God bless you zo much

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by claseek(f): 11:27am On Dec 31, 2018
Please mamas what can i do for relief. Hot oil poured on the back of my palm like 30 minutes ago and it burns like crazy cry
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AetA: 11:33am On Dec 31, 2018
in my case I put raw pap on it and the burning sensation reduced drastically, though the earlier the better but you can still try it. then place ice pack on the affected part. I hope this helps.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AetA: 11:34am On Dec 31, 2018
claseek:
Please mamas what can i do for relief. Hot oil poured on the back of my palm like 30 minutes ago and it burns like crazy cry

in my case I put raw pap on it and the burning sensation reduced drastically, though the earlier the better but you can still try it. then place ice pack on the affected part. I hope this helps.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by claseek(f): 11:36am On Dec 31, 2018
AetA:

thank goodness i have raw pap. I'll try it now. Thanks a lot
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Giddyperson: 12:30pm On Dec 31, 2018
FloraEC:

Give me small fat na
My village people won't let me shine, just small fat they won't allow me to gain even with the way I eat.

I'd gladly dash you 20kg cheesy
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Giddyperson: 12:41pm On Dec 31, 2018
Mumifortune:
Mama I hope u don born our giddybaby number 2 ? grin
Your diary is a trailer load of comic relief,
I really enjoy reading it, whenever I want to laugh I go search for ur diary and am never dissapointed
I don't know the child's plan anymore. I'm just here waiting. Thanks
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by FloraEC(f): 3:37pm On Dec 31, 2018
Giddyperson:
I'd gladly dash you 20kg cheesy
No thanks tongue
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Giddyperson: 3:42pm On Dec 31, 2018
FloraEC:

No thanks tongue
10 nko?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sunbestie(f): 4:32pm On Dec 31, 2018
FloraEC:

Thanks mama
They should not ask us to wear bikini oo cos the tiger claws on my tummy ehh
cheesy grin cheesy grin we go use makeup cover a m nah
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Darsty99: 4:34pm On Dec 31, 2018
Mumifortune:
Compliment of the season mamas, and a Happy New year in advance.
Mamas please help me with a solution. My 2 months plus old baby is having cough with phlegm and catarrh. What do I use?
What I did that worked for my 3week old son was that I started bathing him once a day and that was even at noon to avoid the cold harmattan in the morning.I also covered him well and gave him vit c. The cold disappeared within 2-3days
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by FloraEC(f): 4:55pm On Dec 31, 2018
Giddyperson:
10 nko?
59kg+10kg
Uhmm, no problem
I'll manage 69kg
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by FloraEC(f): 4:57pm On Dec 31, 2018
sunbestie:

cheesy grin cheesy grin we go use makeup cover a m nah
But my tummy is not flat and I don't have hot legs
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sunbestie(f): 5:49pm On Dec 31, 2018
FloraEC:

But my tummy is not flat and I don't have hot legs
Lolz... Why are u running away before d job start nah?

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Mumifortune: 6:20pm On Dec 31, 2018
Darsty99:

What I did that worked for my 3week old son was that I started bathing him once a day and that was even at noon to avoid the cold harmattan in the morning.I also covered him well and gave him vit c. The cold disappeared within 2-3days

Thanks ma'm
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ahnie: 6:21pm On Dec 31, 2018
sunbestie:
@ahnie d isoko mama how is u? Is been a long time oo
Compliment of d season
sweetie I'm blooming......pretty busy pursuing govt job.
huge warmest regards to your family!
thanks ma'am.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by goodhairdiary: 6:54pm On Dec 31, 2018
lady25:

Awwwwww.... he's a big boy
Happy belated birthday cutie.... grow n shine kiss

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Donphilex(m): 7:39pm On Dec 31, 2018
my wife needs this at least it would make me rest small oya madam come pack your KABUKABU for here

cc:astilo

greetings to all new mums here wishing you and your LO good health and happiness

9 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by kelizosuy(f): 10:39pm On Dec 31, 2018
Happy new year in advance beautiful mamas. May God bless our labour of love this new year kiss kiss

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Ziby: 10:47pm On Dec 31, 2018
Hello Mother's in house pls am a FTM with 8week baby,pls Hw can I prevent pregnant for1year I need ur help
2)Can I HV sex now I HV tear but it as heal
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enque(f): 1:18am On Jan 01, 2019
Happy new year Mamas
God bless us all

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by goodfortun(f): 2:12am On Jan 01, 2019
Happy new year mommas!!! Y'all rock!!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by futuremoma34: 7:52am On Jan 01, 2019
Good morning everyone, happy new year to you and your family. Pls savi Mamas, a FTM who based on her calculations should be 11 weeks pregnant decide to go for her first scan yesterday and was told she is 7weeks pregnant with a a well placed gestational sac and not heart beat, and is advised for another scan after two weeks, pls this FTM is very worried, no morning sickness, no cramps or pain at all, just high temperature on and off, pls anyone who have any idea should Pls put mouth in to these. Pls

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Mzleemah(f): 7:54am On Jan 01, 2019
Happy new year mamas
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by phunmie306: 8:24am On Jan 01, 2019
Happy Year Mamas, wishing us a splendid New Year
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hunniesuzie: 9:07am On Jan 01, 2019
Don't mind her.

Ugh

Giddyperson:

Ngozika, how do you have 2 kids and still look like that shocked. It's your type that would birth 10 cuz no shaking. Come and switch body na

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by amorprincesa: 10:05am On Jan 01, 2019
Go do family planning.

You can have sex, if the place is healed.
Ziby:
Hello Mother's in house pls am a FTM with 8week baby,pls Hw can I prevent pregnant for1year I need ur help
2)Can I HV sex now I HV tear but it as heal

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2036) (2037) (2038) (2039) (2040) (2041) (2042) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.