Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,319 members, 7,808,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (489) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4390335 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (486) (487) (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by maureensylvia(f): 12:23pm On Apr 01, 2016
greetings to all mothers

my one month old baby is having a discharge...dunno whether to call it a discharge am scared thou. there is this greenish yellow liquid that looks oily that's coming out of my baby's ear yesterday at first I thought he is not latching properly... I took caution and breastfed him again it stopped in the evening I saw it again I wiped it and it cleared only for me to see a bit of it this morning...have wiped it again though is not coming much. pls is this normal? does it warrant me to see my doc? any home remedy? help a scared ftm

cc: kaffy4bill
tchiwinnie
soonest
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ahnie: 12:33pm On Apr 01, 2016
Thanks to the following person(s)...accountant zaynie,ma'am ozycy,ma'am sodiamum,ma'am mydreams25,alphahandmaiden and too numerous to mention....i took my lil madam to the hospital yesterday,what i presumed to be teething,actually turned to be serious feverish symptoms.zino was examined,and given some medications...now miss zino z back to her usual bubbly self.we went for church camp things few days prior to easter celebration..so she was exposed...and got bitten by mosquitoes....hence the sicknez.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Mumted: 12:36pm On Apr 01, 2016
mkbeau:

You need to elaborate on what you mean by arches the back. Is is after feeding?

She does it before and after feeding and also sometimes when i pick her up when she is lying down
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 1:22pm On Apr 01, 2016
maureensylvia:
greetings to all mothers

my one month old baby is having a discharge...dunno whether to call it a discharge am scared thou. there is this greenish yellow liquid that looks oily that's coming out of my baby's ear yesterday at first I thought he is not latching properly... I took caution and breastfed him again it stopped in the evening I saw it again I wiped it and it cleared only for me to see a bit of it this morning...have wiped it again though is not coming much. pls is this normal? does it warrant me to see my doc? any home remedy? help a scared ftm

cc: kaffy4bill
tchiwinnie
soonest
Please go to the doctor, it could be an ear infection

5 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 2:06pm On Apr 01, 2016
Greetings to all mothers, FTD here! My DD is 6 weeks old, the problem is that she throws up though not all the time after breastfeeding , it's become so worrisome for the mum and I, we've taken her to see her pead several times on this same issue and they rule it down to reflux, a little spit up is normal I'm told but the baby seems to puke all she's eaten sometimes, anybody experienced this before and what where the solutions . cry cry cry
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 01, 2016
Mumted:

She does it before and after feeding and also sometimes when i pick her up when she is lying down
Does she cry or seem in pain when she does it? My boy arches his back a lot too but ours is from being "drunk" on bm or formula! cheesy and its so adorable to watch him do it. I pray yours is nothing to worry about but if it bothers you so then take her in please to be checked! Kisses to your dd kiss

Smokes please make sure she is properly burbed after feeding and avoid laying her down immediately or vigorous movement! It will stop and like your paed said its reflux and nothing to worry about.

Maureenslyvia hospital please.

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by temmy2103(f): 3:00pm On Apr 01, 2016
maureensylvia:
sounds like ear infection, pls see a pediatrician

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 3:21pm On Apr 01, 2016
smokes:
Greetings to all mothers, FTD here! My DD is 6 weeks old, the problem is that she throws up though not all the time after breastfeeding , it's become so worrisome for the mum and I, we've taken her to see her pead several times on this same issue and they rule it down to reflux, a little spit up is normal I'm told but the baby seems to puke all she's eaten sometimes, anybody experienced this before and what where the solutions . cry cry cry

Hello smokes,
Congratulations on your lo.

As chinwedym said, try and ensure she is burped at the end of each feed. You could also try to breaking her feed and pause to burp her inbetween and at the end as opposed to one long feed with a burp at the end.

This is so that air bubbles are gotten rid of intermittently which should reduce the quantity of the reflux.

Aparently babies that young havent yet developed the "shut off valve" reflex in the gut so reflux is quite common. Also as long as she is putting on weight be rest assured that she is getting some food down!

All the best!

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Faith111: 4:08pm On Apr 01, 2016
babythug:

Well done dear. I can imagine the way it'll be vigilante times 2....
Are you bottle feeding?,if you express milk maybe others can help with feeding them and you get some rest...

Pele

Im not formula feeding yet. They dont even allow my boobs get filled before they storm on it.
Once milk production is established, I'll start extracting. I tried doing that 4 days ago but i got little.
Infact i can hear one them giving me the warm up sound already.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 4:48pm On Apr 01, 2016
Faith111:

Im not formula feeding yet. They dont even allow my boobs get filled before they storm on it.
Once milk production is established, I'll start extracting. I tried doing that 4 days ago but i got little.
Infact i can hear one them giving me the warm up sound already.

From what you've just described it's possible they're not getting filled at meal times. Do they doze off while on the bobby? Do wake them up if they do. Then expressing out the milk may help to stimulate the milk flow too.

Ensure you're eating well and drinking fluids too. Water and pap, milo and milk in moderation (to avoid colic in the babies) too will help stimulate the flow...
Pele it is well.

Really hope I can do exclusive b.feeding for this my baby oh. Don't know if I still have power for all this meme!!!!!!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 4:51pm On Apr 01, 2016
maureensylvia:
greetings to all mothers

How far? Any luck seeing the Dr?
Has discharged stopped? Don't apply anything till you see a professional abeg oh
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by maureensylvia(f): 6:39pm On Apr 01, 2016
babythug:

How far? Any luck seeing the Dr?
Has discharged stopped? Don't apply anything till you see a professional abeg oh

we have not seen Dr planning on going on 7th cos that's my appointment day. It's no longer coming out like before its just in d ear like oil in adults ear. Thanks dear for checking on me.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Apple19: 8:04am On Apr 02, 2016
Good day mamas. Vigilante is real for my side here no be small. Pls I need some clarifications.
My lo's skin rash is subsiding. Thanks to all the mamas here who helped on time of needs. I used Cerave lotion and dove white soap.

Now I intend establishing her bath shelve and I need help. If I continue to use Cerave, I might not get to buy easily, and the fear of sebamed (unavailability, affordability and fake) scares me. So my question is;
1. can I use any other bath product and get same result as these ones?
2. Has anyone tried 2 diff product at the same time? E.g Sebamed soap + Aveeno lotion or vice versa
Pls I'll appreciate help and suggestions from experience mothers and all beauty therapists in the room. TIA.

N.B Pls I need something Available, Affordable and effective. And any other good, tested and strusted product will be appreciated cos I'll love to stock up on them.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 8:43am On Apr 02, 2016
Apple19:
Good day mamas. Vigilante is real for my side here no be small. Pls I need some clarifications.
My lo's skin rash is subsiding. Thanks to all the mamas here who helped on time of needs. I used Cerave lotion and dove white soap.

Now I intend establishing her bath shelve and I need help. If I continue to use Cerave, I might not get to buy easily, and the fear of sebamed (unavailability, affordability and fake) scares me. So my question is;
1. can I use any other bath product and get same result as these ones?
2. Has anyone tried 2 diff product at the same time? E.g Sebamed soap + Aveeno lotion or vice versa
Pls I'll appreciate help and suggestions from experience mothers and all beauty therapists in the room. TIA.

N.B Pls I need something Available, Affordable and effective. And any other good, tested and strusted product will be appreciated cos I'll love to stock up on them.

For me I just used cussons. Soap to bathe my babies. Will likely do same for the one I'm expecting. Sebamed is to a large extent readily available in Lagos but of course affordability is another matter entirely. Shea butter and coconut oil work well on many babies. You'll be surprised that even petroleum jelly may work just fine on your baby's skin. So these options may be good alternatives to what you're using at the moment.

Let her skin fully recover before you adopt anything else!

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by joyousf: 3:58pm On Apr 02, 2016
hello people, how is the weekend
so my son is teething and has refused to eat anything. just breast milk and water. the tooth is out now but he has refused food for d past one week. he also has catahrr. i have been giving him vit c multivitamin bco n piriton syrups. but things don't seem to be improving both the loss of appetite n catahrr.
the catarrh disturbs his sleep at night n I try to use otrivin.
pls how long averagely does loss of appetite cos of teething last for. d boy don lean o n I've tried everything I know he still won't eat. I really feel frustrated. last time he brought out a tooth he was only picky in food for four days n that was all.
experienced mamas pls advice me o.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 5:39pm On Apr 02, 2016
joyousf:
so my son is teething and has refused to eat anything. just breast milk and water. the tooth is out now but he has refused food for d past one week. he also has catahrr. i have been giving him vit c multivitamin bco n piriton syrups. but things don't seem to be improving both the loss of appetite n catahrr.
pls how long averagely does loss of appetite cos of teething last for. d boy don lean o n I've tried everything I know he still won't eat. I really feel frustrated. last time he brought out a tooth he was only picky in food for four days n that was all.

Sorry oh! You have to just keep offering all sorts of meals till his appetite returns fully. Ensure he's well rehydrated by keeping up his fluid intakes but be patient.

Slow down on the drugs too.sometimes you have to let viral stuff like catarrh run its course. You can do steam inhalation to ease the congestion in his chest though!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mkbeau: 5:51pm On Apr 02, 2016
joyousf:

Offer him his favourite food and see whether he would eat, introduce juices for example orange juice even fizzy drinks it would provide the sugar needed for energy and electrolytes to deal with dehydration as well as the water. Loss of appetite can vary from one child to another so if you're really concerned that he is loosing too much weight and possibly lethargic is best to see the doctor. wink
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mkbeau: 5:54pm On Apr 02, 2016
Mumted:

Am I right to assume she does it every time? If that is the case please see a paediatrician.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tynnuhluv(f): 6:27pm On Apr 02, 2016
Gud pm mommies m a ftm.I notice this blisters with fluid on my ds arm n is spreading all ova to pacehis back n head.pls mummies what can I use b4 going to hospital on Mon.WORRIED
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 7:15pm On Apr 02, 2016
tynnuhluv:
Gud pm mommies m a ftm.I notice this blisters with fluid on my ds arm n is spreading all ova to pacehis back n head.pls mummies what can I use b4 going to hospital on Mon.WORRIED

Can you put up a picture? It sounds like impetigo to me. You can try gentamicin ointment as a temp measure. Show the pharmacist when buying the cream though!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tynnuhluv(f): 7:25pm On Apr 02, 2016
babythug:

Can you put up a picture? It sounds like impetigo to me. You can try gentamicin ointment as a temp measure. Show the pharmacist when buying the cream though!
dts it ma

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by joyousf: 7:29pm On Apr 02, 2016
mkbeau:

Offer him his favourite food and see whether he would eat, introduce juices for example orange juice even fizzy drinks it would provide the sugar needed for energy and electrolytes to deal with dehydration as well as the water. Loss of appetite can vary from one child to another so if you're really concerned that he is loosing too much weight and possibly lethargic is best to see the doctor. wink

thanks. I have offered him his fav but he still closes the mouth. drinks n juices: he won't collet too. in fact add anything at all to his water n he rejects it. he isn't lethargic . he plays mostly except those times he becomes so cranky which I guess is due to hunger.
Kai....motherhood. smiley
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 8:07pm On Apr 02, 2016
Dear sabi mamas I throw way salute, Please I just noticed something that looks like eczema on my baby's (7 months) back, please is it possible she is reacting to frisfrisolaclso she didn't poo for a week after I started giving her, please what can I use? Nd what does ela look like, she has this redlike rash on her scalp.
Mamas pls answer me o, ftm things

Babythug, onegal, zaynie, kaffybill, and all d oda mamas
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zaynie(f): 8:37pm On Apr 02, 2016
OloriAbdulatif:
Dear sabi mamas I throw way salute, Please I just noticed something that looks like eczema on my baby's (7 months) back, please is it possible she is reacting to frisfrisolaclso she didn't poo for a week after I started giving her, please what can I use? Nd what does ela look like, she has this redlike rash on her scalp.

Babythug, onegai, zaynie, kaffy4bill, and all d oda mamas

I dont know much about skin problems.
Did the eczema appear around the time you began Frisolac?
For the Frisolac, try to give your baby enough water and fruits such as fresh orange, watermelon and pineapples .
You might also want to reduce the number of scoops by 1 ( with the original amount of water) during each feed and increase the number of feeds by 1.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 9:58pm On Apr 02, 2016
tynnuhluv:
dts it ma

Its impetigo. Please add Savlon to his bath water right away. Add some to the water used to rinse his clothes as well. Then get him the gentamicin cream immediately.

Try and generally step up hygiene around the house its a bacterial infection. Insists everyone washes their hands more often and so on!

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 10:04pm On Apr 02, 2016
OloriAbdulatif:

Babythug, onegal, zaynie, kaffybill, and all d oda mamas

If the rash started when you commenced friso she might be reacting to it. Stop it for a few days and watch it. Try the fruits too like Zaynie has said for the poo. Next time don't wait till one week before finding solution to this poo poo meme o! You can give her warm water first thing in the morning too before meals.

Not sure about this ela thing too. There are different types from what I gather. If you can source that red leaf- acalypha(google for pictures) you can try bathing her with it. Bathing I said oh not giving her to drink!!!!

Hope this helps

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Proudmum(f): 10:09pm On Apr 02, 2016
Please I'm trying to introduce solid to my baby. She doesn't want to take anything apart from bbreast milk because we did exclusive. My hubby suggests I starved her for 4 hrs then offer her cereals or any other food. I'm always with her... Just 2 of us in the house. I don't have the mind to ignore her for hours without feeding her. Please is it right to starve her of breast milk for 4 hrs?
Secondly.. I force her to eat...she will be crying and pushing spoon away.. I will still hold her tight and force the food in. Please is this right?
Kindly tell me the right thing to do. And how often to feed her . I'm a first-time mum and She's 6months. Thank you
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 10:36pm On Apr 02, 2016
Proudmum:
Please I'm trying to introduce solid to my baby. She doesn't want to take anything apart from bbreast milk because we did exclusive. My hubby suggests I starved her for 4 hrs then offer her cereals or any other food. I'm always with her... Just 2 of us in the house. I don't have the mind to ignore her for hours without feeding her. Please is it right to starve her of breast milk for 4 hrs?
Secondly.. I force her to eat...she will be crying and pushing spoon away.. I will still hold her tight and force the food in. Please is this right?
Kindly tell me the right thing to do. And how often to feed her . I'm a first-time mum and She's 6months. Thank you

You need to make up your mind whether you're ready to add solids to her diet now or not. If you don't fully decide to you'll keep succumbing to offering bobby once she refuses cereal.

Typically babies will want to continue breast milk if they can. You can time her meals to three or four hours and offer cereal like your hubby has said. At least try it first then you know whether to increase or decrease the hours in between feeds. Offer her adult foods too I.e noodles, mashed potatoes, amala etc . She may prefer that to cereal. Babies can be unpredictable like that..

Hope this helps. That force feeding usually doesn't help meal times will be stressful for you both. Creatively find a way to make it appealing. Let the food be the right temperature, place her in a high chair or plastic chair and table.... Pack up the food after thirty minutes whether or not she finishes the meal. Cut off snacks for now ie biscuits and so on.

Hope this helps sha
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by NoQualms1(f): 12:34am On Apr 03, 2016
cutienik:
tnx mumi zaynie
@NoQualms..hw r d kids?hop no too much stress..it s wel wt dem

They are fine. The stress is manageable for now though not easy. Amen.

Thanks so much. How is your boy? Trust Atinuke is kicking. Take care.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Proudmum(f): 5:00am On Apr 03, 2016
babythug:

You need to make up your mind whether you're ready to add solids to her diet now or not. If you don't fully decide to you'll keep succumbing to offering bobby once she refuses cereal.

Typically babies will want to continue breast milk if they can. You can time her meals to three or four hours and offer cereal like your hubby has said. At least try it first then you know whether to increase or decrease the hours in between feeds. Offer her adult foods too I.e noodles, mashed potatoes, amala etc . She may prefer that to cereal. Babies can be unpredictable like that..

Hope this helps. That force feeding usually doesn't help meal times will be stressful for you both. Creatively find a way to make it appealing. Let the food be the right temperature, place her in a high chair or plastic chair and table.... Pack up the food after thirty minutes whether or not she finishes the meal. Cut off snacks for now ie biscuits and so on.

Hope this helps sha
Ok... Thank you. I appreciate
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tynnuhluv(f): 7:44am On Apr 03, 2016
babythug:

Its impetigo. Please add Savlon to his bath water right away. Add some to the water used to rinse his clothes as well. Then get him the gentamicin cream immediately.

Try and generally step up hygiene around the house its a bacterial infection. Insists everyone washes their hands more often and so on!
ait. Tnx so much
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by lovinam: 8:06am On Apr 03, 2016
Its also contagious. You might wanna trace to figure out where he got it from so you can avoid a repeat. Also like babythug said, make sure nyone that wants to carry him washes their hands. Wash his bedsheet often, generally step up the hygiene around the house so it doesn't get worse. Wanna consult ur pead
tynnuhluv:
ait. Tnx so much

(1) (2) (3) ... (486) (487) (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.