Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:43 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (74) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4390338 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by k4kenny(f): 5:18pm On Oct 31, 2013
Blendy77: My Sister take ur baby to the hospital. I experienced exactly same thing last week and mine turned out to be measles. Though I have no idea if a 5m old can contact measles at that early age sha but then my own baby was not up to 9m before contacting it and we were actually waiting for 9m to immunize them. His twin brother was immunized today but we can't rule out his contacting it as he hasn't shown any symptoms yet.

My baby had measles at about 7m. She had not been vaccinated at the time. I can't say how she got exposed to d virus, but I'm suspecting the hospital we visited 2weeks prior to the appearance of symptoms. Did a bit of reading about it, here are some things to look out for:

Consistent dry cough
Very high temperature
Reddening of eyes
Appearance of skin rash, starting from the cheek region, then it spreads across the face and body

Some of the symptoms can be mistaken for teething but if the baby's temperature is extremely high, you miight need to start paying attention to the other symptoms. Hope this helps other mums out there.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by demmykay: 5:30pm On Oct 31, 2013
@blendy77 pls wat oda symptoms did u see in ur baby dat had meales? M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ 8mths old baby has rashes though it has been on and off since wen he was 3mth. D recent one came out so much on his hands nd back nd part of his face. D last time I took him to d hospital I was give hydrocortisone which cleared it within days. Now its back again. Pls any advice on wat to use on him to clear d rash?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by demmykay: 5:40pm On Oct 31, 2013
@kenny just saw ur comment. No reddenning of d eyes. He actually had temperature some days back but I think its due to d catarh he has(his catarh alwys give him high temp. Presently no temperature. I actually tot its teething cos it came out more wen he was about bring out d first two teeth, but ever since den d rash is still der. Pls wat can I use to clear d rash?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Blendy77(f): 10:18am On Nov 01, 2013
demmykay: @blendy77 pls wat oda symptoms did u see in ur baby dat had meales? M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ 8mths old baby has rashes though it has been on and off since wen he was 3mth. D recent one came out so much on his hands nd back nd part of his face. D last time I took him to d hospital I was give hydrocortisone which cleared it within days. Now its back again. Pls any advice on wat to use on him to clear d rash?

My boy had almost all the symptoms Kenny mentioned apart from reddening of the eyes. we never suspected measles cos the rash was the last of the symptoms to appear. We kept treating the fever and cough which will subside and reappear after a while till on saturday at the airport when I saw the rash all over him. Dont even know how long those rashes have been there and what part of his body it started from. but they are a bit reddish (he is light skinned) in colour and worse on his face and neck. The first hospital we got to gave us calamine lotion as one of the drugs but a second opinion at Georges said they dont use calamine lotion anymore so they just gave us other drugs including antibiotics and the rashes cleared within a few days. As at yesterday, there were really not that noticable except at very close range. You need to take your baby to a hospital and seek a second opinion if possible. Cos when I went to my company's clinic where I was given calamine lotion, I remembered the Dr I met that day said it wasnt measles but an allergy/reaction to either somethg he ate or where we stayed when we travelled and I had to go to Georges that night straight from the airport cos my hubby wasnt convinced it wasnt measles.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by imurboss: 2:44pm On Nov 01, 2013
Layolaw: hi mums! @ Jade & co, can u pple post the picture of the olive oil air cream for kids. l've nt been able to get it and my 8 mths girl air in front is realy given me concern

I tried uploading the pics for u o but it keeps telling me the image is too large or something so don't know how else to upload it dear.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Hummingbird: 6:01pm On Nov 01, 2013
Helo mummies..how are all our LOs
I just wAnt to know if its compulsory I wear socks for my boys...they sweat a lot and hubby told me I should still be wearing socks for them even if we are indoors.

Also dia is this thing on their body like ezcema,people said its called 'alefo' in yoruba..what can I use for it?

And please is there anything I can do to make dis boys let other people carry them,they wnt even allow hubby to carry them or my lil sis...its giving me serious concern,dey wnt even allow anyone to feed them unless am the one.....please mothers come to my rescue o
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by demmykay: 8:41pm On Nov 01, 2013
Tanks blendy, will see d doctor tomoro morning.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by fetok: 9:05pm On Nov 01, 2013
Hi Mummies and how is our Babies doing?
My 6weeks old baby boy frequently suffer stomach ache,pls what remedy/medication can i apply?Thanks in anticipation.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by JadeWilliam(f): 6:38am On Nov 02, 2013
Layolaw: hi mums! @ Jade & co, can u pple post the picture of the olive oil hair cream for kids. l've nt been able to get it and my 8 mths girl air in front is realy given me concern

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by JadeWilliam(f): 6:41am On Nov 02, 2013
omogemi: @Jade, pls i d lyk for u to pls give me info on where i can get chicken pox vaccine n how much its likely to go for. I vnt being able to get for my baby.
I got at Reddington hosp&has referred others 2d place. Reddington hospital is at:39 Isaac John str. GRA,Opp Protea hotel,Ikejagrin str is off Joel Ogunnaike str.There's KFC on dat same str but Protea is a good landmark.Barcelos,sweet sensation is on d road too.Inshort,d streets are all eateries.
08134044822- Customer service number for Reddington hospital Ikeja branch
Call dem they'l transfer y to d pharmacy.
If they don't hav it;they'l tel u wen 2com 4it
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by JadeWilliam(f): 7:16am On Nov 02, 2013
Hummingbird: Helo mummies..
I just wAnt to know if its compulsory I wear socks for my boys...they sweat a lot and hubby told me I should still be wearing socks for them even if we are indoors.
Hi Hummysweetie.How ar u doing?&how's ur health.I hope u'r feeling betta now.Well,I think u shld stil b wearin socks 4ur twins because of al these sunfly&mosquitoes dat ar unseen.Socks is not 4cold alone.
Hummingbird:
And please is there anything I can do to make dis boys let other people carry them,they wnt even allow hubby to carry them or my lil sis...its giving me serious concern,dey wnt even allow anyone to feed them unless am th e one.....please mothers come to my rescue o
My suggestion o.Make una no quote me o.U ppl shld start backin them if they're upto 3mths.My girl had dat problm wen I was on maternity leave.Sh got 2 used 2me but wen sh got 2 3mths,my mum adviced we backed her dat sh'l sleep off&dats wot we started doin&no stress since then.Once u put them On d back,they'l sleep off.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Hummingbird: 7:50am On Nov 02, 2013
@ jade ,thnx so much and getting better...about the backing,someone once told me to avoid it cos dey will eventually get used to it and it will be difficult getting them to sleep tru anoda means...

But seriously dos boys are big o and m nt really a fan of backing(maybe cos I dnt know how to back babies sha)

Also wnt tieing that 'oja' have effect on the baby inside??
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by fearless07(f): 12:03pm On Nov 02, 2013
Thanks Blendy77. The fever and the rash was as a result of teething. We were told to use agnesia powder and the rash cleared up within 3 days.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 02, 2013
Hello mamas,pls any quick fix to stuffy nose?he is healthy and feeds well but the stuffiness makes him uncomfortable at night. Please share your home remedy.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Layolaw(f): 5:25pm On Nov 02, 2013
@ Imurboss; thanks l think Jade has done that @ Jade; thanks very much, happy weekend
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by JadeWilliam(f): 7:37pm On Nov 02, 2013
Hummingbird: @ jade..about the backing,someone once told me to avoid it cos dey will eventually get used to it and it will be difficult getting them to sleep tru anoda means...
It is so true.Dats d problm I'm facing now.My girl can neva sleep without back.Sh'l even go&bring wrapper 4u&tell u "Back-Back" then u'l knw sh wants 2sleep.Even wen u'r so fagged out,u'l back her&sh's lik 15kg.My DH has told us dat tyin wrapper on d bosom sags it but wot can we do.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by k4kenny(f): 8:00pm On Nov 02, 2013
demmykay: @kenny just saw ur comment. No reddenning of d eyes. He actually had temperature some days back but I think its due to d catarh he has(his catarh alwys give him high temp. Presently no temperature. I actually tot its teething cos it came out more wen he was about bring out d first two teeth, but ever since den d rash is still der. Pls wat can I use to clear d rash?

I was also told the symptoms she showed were those of teething, but from medical sites I was able to tell what it was. There is no actual 'treatment' for d measles as the virus dies off eventually after like 3days but its very important to keep the temperature under check with paracetamol( I gave 4 5ml spoons per day) I also massaged her body with a cold towel to lower the temperature.
For the cough, I was told to avoid cough syrup (expectorant), so a broad spectrum antibiotic was prescribed. She was okay in about 3days but taking a close look at her skin, you can still see residual spots.

For those asking of chicken pox vaccine, moi petit princess is due for hers on her birthday sad it costs 7k5 in my clinic and its given along with MMR vaccine which is 4k. GH don't usually give these. They'll only give vit. A on that vaccination day.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tjskii(f): 8:41pm On Nov 02, 2013
byvan: Hello mamas,pls any quick fix to stuffy nose?he is healthy and feeds well but the stuffiness makes him uncomfortable at night. Please share your home remedy.

Sweerryy,ow body,iv mised u o cheesy ows my lil bobo,wen d stufiness happens to my kid,I rub ori on and under his nose,it realy helps

@humming,owr u doin,hope ure stronger
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 8:49pm On Nov 02, 2013
So tjskii, na here you dey. I don catch you today. grin
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tjskii(f): 4:07am On Nov 03, 2013
Rukemi291: So tjskii, na here you dey. I don catch you today. grin

Sweetheartmiii cheesy cheesy cheesy,u don born ni
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 7:48am On Nov 03, 2013
tjskii:

Sweetheartmiii cheesy cheesy cheesy,u don born ni

Still pushing belle o. I was just peeping to learn some things before baby comes o.
Thanks for leaving us on the pregnancy thread. Even byvan is using style to leave.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 03, 2013
tjskii:

Sweerryy,ow body,iv mised u o cheesy ows my lil bobo,wen d stufiness happens to my kid,I rub ori on and under his nose,it realy helps

@humming,owr u doin,hope ure stronger

Thx dear,Your Bobo dey OK,i don come this side so you no go miss me again grin.Is ori the same as shea butter or ukwuma??do they sell it in pharmacies?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 10:43am On Nov 03, 2013
Rukemi291:

Still pushing belle o. I was just peeping to learn some things before baby comes o.
Thanks for leaving us on the pregnancy thread. Even byvan is using style to leave.

Hahahaha ! ! i still dey with the preggy Mamas oooo,even though I cast and bind any spirit of preggy in my life grin
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 11:44am On Nov 03, 2013
grin ok o. Anyway, ori is shea butter
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tjskii(f): 1:14pm On Nov 03, 2013
@byvan,dis is d type I use for him,I got it from lagos,I think u can get smthng lik dis in general/teaching hospitals,wen theyr giving babyz immunization,I guess u cud get in supermkts too,it mite nt be in dis xct pack,but sha make sure its got a bit of menthol in it

@rukemi,I dey anxiously await u joining dis thread,I dey fear to visit una for d oda thread,mke belle no go infect me cheesy

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by k4kenny(f): 9:02am On Nov 04, 2013
Hey mamas. My baby has been stooling for some days now. Its not affecting her appetite though. I plan to give her flagyl and ORT. Please does anyone know the dosage of flagyl for a 9 month old?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zinylizzy(f): 11:11am On Nov 04, 2013
k4kenny: Hey mamas. My baby has been stooling for some days now. Its not affecting her appetite though. I plan to give her flagyl and ORT. Please does anyone know the dosage of flagyl for a 9 month old?
my dear,dont give flagyl.diarrhea in kids is usually viral.just replace d fluid with ORT.unless u see a dr and he sends u for tests,after d test results,he then prescribes drugs for u.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by k4kenny(f): 1:59pm On Nov 04, 2013
Thanks dear. Will start her on ORT and see how it goes. Hopefully we wont need to go to the hospital.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jam04(m): 5:30am On Nov 05, 2013
Good morning to you all,
I have a 2.5 weeks old son who got circumcised few days ago. The type used was the 'ring' type circumcision method which my mother-in-law wasn't used to. After the process, the Dr told us not to apply anything on it until when the ring falls off and we should avoid contact with water.

However the 2nd day, my mother-in-law got worried about not applying anything(pennicilin balm and coconut oil mixture) on the p*nis and I started making enquiries from those that used this type of circumcision method for their son. A friend I called told they didn't apply anything as instructed but unfortunately, on the 3rd day, they noticed pus coming out of his p*nis and they had to use pennicillin balm.

So does anyone in here have his/her son circumcised with this method? And did you apply anything or leave it as it is? Any side effect if pennicilin balm and coconut oil mixture is applied on it?

Thanks
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tjskii(f): 7:28am On Nov 05, 2013
The ring was also used for my 2sons,and we didn't apply anything,therz realy no nid for penicilin and such,d docs know wat thyr saying,wen they advised against it,so just bathe him normally(I used a cloth to pour water on his body,so dt d force of water poured out of a bowl on his body wudnt hurt his peepee)and make use of his diapers(dont just leav his bumm open, d weather is too chilly for that)also u mite see some blood on d diapers,don't panic,tis normal cheesy
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 05, 2013
Tjskii,thanks dear,i ll seek it out.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jam04(m): 8:05pm On Nov 05, 2013
My baby( who is just 2 weeks old) has refused to stool. The last time he pass our feaces was Saturday. He has been releasing farts through but no feaces...is this okay? If not, what can we give him to assist him?

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.