Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,042 members, 7,807,125 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

Racial Discrimination In Dubai - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Racial Discrimination In Dubai (24734 Views)

Nigerian Man Under Trial In Dubai For Beating Up An Indian / Racial Discrimination In India Toward Blacks / Where Can I Buy Gold In Dubai? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Racial Discrimination In Dubai by gbokukueba(m): 12:05pm On Jun 23, 2012
I have been living in Dubai for about 3 months now and each time i arrive at the Airport am always singled out of the whole travelers for document checks and routine questioning which i have no problem with but just 4 days ago i was at the metro station waiting for a train only to be accosted by some policemen asking if i have the new Emirates ID which came into effect end of last month, i said yes and handed it over to them. They started asking me some stupid questions like where i work what do i do etc, while doing a check on the authenticity of my ID shocked. I kept asking them if there was a problem they said no that they were only doing their job while speaking Arabic and asking when they saw the way i was reacting they now invited me into their office that i should sit down. I told them i was going to call my office that am not comfortable with the way they were delaying me they just kept saying no problem that its just routine and after about 20 mins they said i can leave.

In my short stay here i have not but noticed that there is racial discrimination if you are black unlike white folks. Most of the people that violate the law here are whites and the worst they will do to them is either a fine or deportation but blacks will face the full wrath of Islamic law.

I just cant wait to leave here, don't get me wrong it is a great place to visit but not a nice place to live as a black person.

1 Like

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by werepeLeri: 12:10pm On Jun 23, 2012
They were simply doing their work bro. Take it easy. Why do you call that racial discrimination? Because they know you are not a son of the soil and they want to prove you are legit. Take it with all calmness.

1 Like

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by gbokukueba(m): 12:37pm On Jun 23, 2012
werepeLeri: They were simply doing their work bro. Take it easy. Why do you call that racial discrimination? Because they know you are not a son of the soil and they want to prove you are legit. Take it with all calmness.

I have no problem they doing there jobs but i don't see them doing their job with any white folk...

2 Likes

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by question(m): 3:31pm On Jun 23, 2012
Sorry OP. Maybe from their experience, a greater percentage of illegal migrants are blacks.

1 Like

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by auwal87(m): 3:34pm On Jun 23, 2012
gbokukueba: I have been living in Dubai for about 3 months now and each time i arrive at the Airport am always singled out of the whole travelers for document checks and routine questioning which i have no problem with but just 4 days ago i was at the metro station waiting for a train only to be accosted by some policemen asking if i have the new Emirates ID which came into effect end of last month, i said yes and handed it over to them. They started asking me some stupid questions like where i work what do i do etc, while doing a check on the authenticity of my ID shocked. I kept asking them if there was a problem they said no that they were only doing their job while speaking Arabic and asking when they saw the way i was reacting they now invited me into their office that i should sit down. I told them i was going to call my office that am not comfortable with the way they were delaying me they just kept saying no problem that its just routine and after about 20 mins they said i can leave.

In my short stay here i have not but noticed that there is racial discrimination if you are black unlike white folks. Most of the people that violate the law here are whites and the worst they will do to them is either a fine or deportation but blacks will face the full wrath of Islamic law.

I just cant wait to leave here, don't get me wrong it is a great place to visit but not a nice place to live as a black person.

Jebel Ali murder suspect arrested in Egypt - Emirates 24/7
www.emirates247.com/.../jebel-ali-murder-suspect-arrested-in-egypt-...27 Jun 2011 – The Nigerian student allegedly assaulted a fellow student leading to his ... The Dubai Criminal Court of First Instance sentenced two British ...

Two men, woman arrested in murder case
www.khaleejtimes.com › Home › Nation21 Jun 2011 – DUBAI - The Dubai Police arrested two Nigerian nationals, a man and ... that the police rushed to the site after getting information on the crime.

gulfnews : 10kg heroin seized by Dubai Police
gulfnews.com/.../uae/crime/10kg-heroin-seized-by-dubai-police-1.10...14 Jun 2012 – 10kg heroin seized by Dubai Police ... Prosecutors accused the 37-year-old Nigerian D.A. of possessing 10kg of ... More from UAE Crime ...

1 Like

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by ismhab(m): 3:35pm On Jun 23, 2012
werepeLeri: They were simply doing their work bro. Take it easy. Why do you call that racial discrimination? Because they know you are not a son of the soil and they want to prove you are legit. Take it with all calmness.
Come back to naija, where u will be king even police man will be holding ur suite case.
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by aocecelle: 3:37pm On Jun 23, 2012
Those white shits blowsssS Bleep em especially in Ukraine and Russia. Damn em
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by Afam4eva(m): 3:38pm On Jun 23, 2012
Na waoo
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by Afam4eva(m): 3:40pm On Jun 23, 2012
ismhab:
Come back to naija, where u will be king even police man will be holding ur suite case.
This is not the Nigeria I know.

Btw, people are treated worse in Nigeria than anywhere else. What should we blame that on? Tribalism?
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by ismhab(m): 3:41pm On Jun 23, 2012
Are u a Driver that u use to go to Airport Frequently?
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by auwal87(m): 3:42pm On Jun 23, 2012
1. Misleading title
2. OP is not writing from Dubai
3. The Mod that put this on front-page is also discriminating because he loves to hear what the OP wrote
4. Nigerians were the first "armed robbers" of dubai, incident happened in 2007

They are more hash on Asians than they are on Africans. In fact, they respect black Africans.

1 Like

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jun 23, 2012
auwal87: 1. Misleading title
3. The Mod that put this on front-page is also discriminating because he loves to hear what the OP wrote

They are more hash on Asians than they are on Africans. In fact, they respect black Africans.

Really?
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by Blackteeth(m): 3:44pm On Jun 23, 2012
What are you complaining about when Nigerians discriminate and hate each other which is evident in Nairaland's tribalism?

3 Likes

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 23, 2012
In Dubai ? I refuse to believe this.

1 Like

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by JimOvia: 4:00pm On Jun 23, 2012
Really surprised to hear this. When I was there I was treated like a King. Its a lovely place.

Poster don't mind them Jor. Maybe you looked cheap and scruffy. They must have seen you like someone who can't afford to live there. I think you should spend money on looking good and not like a beggar.
Speaking to self *i wonder how all this crap makes front page. What is he expecting us to do by reporting dubai to us*

1 Like

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by k10: 4:02pm On Jun 23, 2012
bro, pele, but there is racial discrimination everywhere, even in naija.
Stayed in UAE for over 3 years and only got stopped once, this mostly happens when they get a report of blacks that recently robbed somewhere..
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by gbokukueba(m): 4:06pm On Jun 23, 2012
auwal87: 1. Misleading title

If you read my post very well i said i moved here recently and maybe i need to show you my visa so you believe. On the armed robbery am not holding brief for anyone and i know Nigerians can be funny around the world. Respect and black am not sure they are used in the same sentence here... am referring to the Emirates(Natives) not other Nationalities...
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by gbokukueba(m): 4:07pm On Jun 23, 2012
ismhab: Are u a Driver that u use to go to Airport Frequently?

My job is based out of Dubai which means i have to travel frequently.
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by EPOMA(m): 4:13pm On Jun 23, 2012
gbokukueba: I have been living in Dubai for about 3 months now and each time i arrive at the Airport am always singled out of the whole travelers for document checks and routine questioning which i have no problem with but just 4 days ago i was at the metro station waiting for a train only to be accosted by some policemen asking if i have the new Emirates ID which came into effect end of last month, i said yes and handed it over to them. They started asking me some stupid questions like where i work what do i do etc, while doing a check on the authenticity of my ID shocked. I kept asking them if there was a problem they said no that they were only doing their job while speaking Arabic and asking when they saw the way i was reacting they now invited me into their office that i should sit down. I told them i was going to call my office that am not comfortable with the way they were delaying me they just kept saying no problem that its just routine and after about 20 mins they said i can leave.

Those arabs are very racist, the first day I arrived in dubai airport, the immigration officer was speaking english to the rest of the white guys and when it got to my turn he became deaf and dumb and was behaving funny to me, I had to ask him what his problem was and why he was not treating the rest in the same manner he treated me
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by gbokukueba(m): 4:17pm On Jun 23, 2012
k10: bro, pele, but there is racial discrimination everywhere, even in naija.
Stayed in UAE for over 3 years and only got stopped once, this mostly happens when they get a report of blacks that recently robbed somewhere..

Well that's cool for you while here, me am not enjoying the city at all... I was just pissed cos i was singled out of everyone...
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by dasparrow: 4:17pm On Jun 23, 2012

In most parts of the world there is alot of racial discrimination towards blacks even in america. Don't mind those who are brushing it off. So because there is tribalism amongst Nigerians people should not complain about rascism? How absurd. It is a shame that a couple of Nigerians back home want to use their hand to destroy Nigeria with their boko haram nonsense, corruption and poor leadership. If not, what will prompt anyone to start going to places like the arab world, asian world and/or white/caucasian world if all was well with our country? I will rather vacation somewhere in Africa than anywhere else. My only other option will be the carribean.

This is why I advise Nigerians to do their homework on the citizens of the country they are migrating to or visiting. All that glitters is not gold. No matter how beautiful a country is, if she has overwhelmingly bigoted citizens/locals, you would not enjoy your stay there. Atleast, in Nigeria even with all the tribalism, you have the option of going back to your state of origin and living amongst people of your ethnic group but abroad, can you change the colour of your skin? Nope! So that is why it is easier to survive or endure tribalism than rascism. It is well.

2 Likes

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by auwal87(m): 4:22pm On Jun 23, 2012
JimOvia: Really surprised to hear this. When I was there I was treated like a King. Its a lovely place.

Poster don't mind them Jor. Maybe you looked cheap and scruffy. They must have seen you like someone who can't afford to live there. I think you should spend money on looking good and not like a beggar.
Speaking to self *i wonder how all this crap makes front page. What is he expecting us to do by reporting dubai to us*

Subscribed!
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by ismhab(m): 4:27pm On Jun 23, 2012
gbokukueba:

My job is based out of Dubai which means i have to travel frequently.
You have to be patient, if tell you my story with regards to Arab u will say u are in paradise.
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by gbokukueba(m): 4:29pm On Jun 23, 2012
EPOMA:

Those arabs are very racist, the first day I arrived in dubai airport, the immigration officer was speaking english to the rest of the white guys and when it got to my turn he became deaf and dumb and was behaving funny to me, I had to ask him what his problem was and why he was not treating the rest in the same manner he treated me

My guy am used to that when i get to immigration i don't expect to be greeted as such i don't talk. There was a day i was traveling and the lady at the desk did not look at VISA on my passport and instead of asking me she stood up and was leaving to report to her superiors, i had to call her back and opened the page myself...
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by emirati1: 4:31pm On Jun 23, 2012
I have been living here for about 12 yrs now,and i knw that though there are few cases of rascism here,mainly from uneducated junior level policemen and illiterate locals and foreigners alike;but i think its still manageble,unlike a lot of other countries that i have visited.....and this stems from the fact that a lot of crimes are commited by blacks,years ago when we arrived this country,Nigerians where treated like kings..
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by texazzpete(m): 4:33pm On Jun 23, 2012

Well, when you folks were busy pushing songs like 'Maga Don Pay', 'yahoo zee' and 'I go chop your dollar' to the top of Nigerian charts, you didn't think it'd come round to bit you in the backside one day abi?

They were not being racist...all the were doing was intelligent stereotyping. when black Nigerians are frequently the most fervent illegal immigrants, why will they not pull out a scruffy looking Nigerian for further checks?

look just grin and bear it. A few weeks after the Mutallab incident I was traveling through Heathrow and I was pulled aside for a 'routine' check. I understood immediately; i fit the bill of a young, Nigerian male traveling alone and with light luggage...just like mutallab. While they were scanning my fingers for bomb residue all I did was to tell the woman with dignity that I must be restored to the head of the line to make up for this...she readily agreed of course. After 2 minutes they put me back in front of the line!

Handle situations like these with dignity and calmness...many Nigerians are quick to pull the 'racism' card at the slightest thing which usually isn't good for anyone. I know someone who started screaming 'racism' when a shopkeeper was scanning his 50 pound note. The idiot no know say dem go do that for anyone who hands in such a large note.
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by gbokukueba(m): 4:33pm On Jun 23, 2012
JimOvia: Really surprised to hear this. When I was there I was treated like a King. Its a lovely place.

You must be in Lalaland, its a pure commercial city anybody can be treated like kings when they pay for it... Regarding your comments about me i choose to ignore you cos you are not worth it.

1 Like

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jun 23, 2012
the op is 100% right. i ve been in dubai for 4 years now
and i can swear that is true. i happen to be a cluber and trhey always
harrass blacks. there was a time they were searching for a single black
guy, they decided to arrest anything black and take to their station.
am just happy bcus i know alot of them now.

Believe me we have more than 20, 000 ibo guys here living illegal even yoruba.
many my friends.

1 Like

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by moremi2008(m): 4:41pm On Jun 23, 2012
Ignorance will push men into terrible situations. It's no secret that Arabs are violently racist towards blacks. In fact, the arab word for black is "slave" (just Google the meaning of "abd"). The situation in Dubai is not much different from elsewhere in the Arab world. The major difference is that Dubai has an expat culture and you can live and work there with little overt racism if you have money and stay away from the native Dubai population. If you make the mistake of interacting with native Emiratis, you will encounter the traditional Arab racism, live and direct.

Dubai is a great place for a brief vacation but that's about it. If you must work and live there, stick to hanging out with the expats and you should be fine for the most part. Don't be surprised though if you get a whiff of traditional Arab racism from time to time. Whatever you do, please stay away from trouble! The Emiratis will not treat you the same way they would treat European or American expats! They will deal with you mercilessly and your useless government will do absolutely nothing to protect you!

3 Likes

Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by gbokukueba(m): 4:42pm On Jun 23, 2012
@emirati1

Since you live here then you know that the IDs were recently issued, i was a bit concerned when they started running checks on me... Another thing is probably because the part of town i stay as most black people stay in Deira.
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by nanidee(f): 4:43pm On Jun 23, 2012
But something that strikes me...why is it always 'black guys' that are treated badly? I have never heard of any 'black girl' being treated in such manner... just saying!
Re: Racial Discrimination In Dubai by gbokukueba(m): 4:44pm On Jun 23, 2012
illitrate: the op is 100% right. i ve been in dubai for 4 years now
and i can swear that is true. i happen to be a cluber and trhey always
harrass blacks. there was a time they were searching for a single black
guy, they decided to arrest anything black and take to their station.
am just happy bcus i know alot of them now.

Believe me we have more than 20, 000 ibo guys here living illegal even yoruba.
many my friends.

The first time i was in Deira i was alarmed at the huge numbers of Nigerian there... and i know a lot of them are illegal immigrants

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FAAN Shuts Down KFC Outlet At Lagos Airport Over Discrimination / Lagos To Abuja Flight Ticket Should Cost ₦250k – Airline Operators / Osun Government Decorates Streets For Christmas (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.