Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models (34886 Views)

What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? / 2001-2004 Toyota Highlander And The 2005-2007 Models / Information On Isuzu Rodeo 2001-2004 Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by KUNLEXCOOL: 7:07pm On Jun 23, 2012
Fellow Nairalanders, please I need your urgent views on this subject. What exactly is wrong with the 3.5ltrs engine in 01-04 models of Nissan Pathfinder? I want to purchase this SUV, but my auto technician (mechanic) feels to the contrary. He rather suggested older models (1998-2000). The reasons given are as follows:

1. That the 01-04 engine is made of aluminium and thus, are frequent with over-heating problems
2. The 01-04 engine uses a timing chain instead of belt, which according to him, is a disadvantage
3. The 01-04 engine is difficult to maintain and expensive to replace

According to him, the 3.3ltrs engine in the older models are more rugged and easier to maintain!

I will appreciate if EXPERTS in the house can make their comment on THIS!!! Inspired_m, Siena, Fhemmmy, Viperman Please help out before I make a wrong choice.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by kolnel: 5:26pm On Jun 24, 2012
From my experience. The 3,5 ltr engine gulps more fuel. A lot more u just can't imagine it. The 3,3 ltr engine is better.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by cretin: 7:21pm On Jun 24, 2012
cast iron engines are better than aluminuin engines..as aluminuin engines warp n bend when they overheat ..even a lil overheating.
2. timing belt: its recommended u change timing belt every 90k miles..but few nigerians ever do this..they only change the timing belt when the thing cuts while driving the car, and the pathfinder being an intereference engine....a timing belt cutting whilke the vehicle is in motion will ruin a lot of engine components..my advice is change the timing belt of any toks car u buy...while down there...change the water pump too..as all these components hv a service life in yrs/miles

3. the pathfinder is a fuel guzzler...the 05 upwards models are a lot better

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by KUNLEXCOOL: 7:41pm On Jun 24, 2012
@kolnel & cretin, thanks for your inputs. These will go a long way in influencing my decision. Thanks alot!
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by vinmol: 3:47pm On Jun 26, 2012
even if i do not know much about cars i can comment on Nissan pathfinder 2004 as i have used it for 3 yrs
a very strong and durable car... a car that gets up and go the 2004 V6 engine is sharp!
i have used for 3 yrs only servicing, changing tyres and respraying the bumpers becos those menace called Okada

my candid advice buy a goodone and u will enjoy it!
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by KUNLEXCOOL: 6:51am On Jun 27, 2012
Is it advisable to buy from cotonou? I intend buying by the end of July (dats wen d cash 'll b ready) and I do not see maself waiting for an extra 6-8weeks for the US/Canada pre-order thing.......in fact, i'm already driving the SUV in my dreams grin. My question is: wouldn't it be risky buying from cotonou?
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by vinmol: 1:44pm On Jun 28, 2012
guy, mine was not from cotonu shall o!
i have not had good expereince with cotonu cars so i dont go there

i got mine with 2 of my frnds, they got their's cheaper from cotonu and today they dont drive it anymore cos of over heating issues and all sorts. i got mine from Autograph off Agidingbi in Ikeja. it had 54k as OD and almost like brand new with all papers from Tincan
but it was certainly more expensive than the cotonu...but still serving and lookin sharp!

i guess if you get a good car dealer from cotonu who knows cars very well...they will be willingly to assist and you have lots of them here in NL... goodluck
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by bunmifx(m): 6:46pm On Jun 28, 2012
It is advisable to change it to 3.3 engine.My 2002-2004 was converted to the copper engine.The speed is supper and it consume less fuel.I have use the car about a year without engine problem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by femionasan(m): 6:56pm On Jun 28, 2012
1. Overheating- The issue with aluminium engines and them overheating is not a tenable excuse as far as i am concerned. I use a Nissan Maxima and when i had overheating issues it was due to the rusty water pump, i got it replaced and ever since i have been enjoying my car. You just have to be careful and always monitor your engine temperature.

2. Timing chain Vs Timing Belt- I think i read it somewhere on this forum that cars with timing chains give certain signs which require that it be replaced as opposed to belts which snap without any sign, especially in Nigeria where you might not get a good timing belt. I guess that should tell you which is better.

3. Maintenance/Replacement - If your car is well maintained and with a good history from a previous buyer, what makes you think you will need to change the engine for the span of time you will use the car?

As far as i am concerned your mechanic is not up to date with such vehicles and he doesnt know how to diagnose them. Reminds me of when i wanted to buy a 1990 mitsubish galant some years ago. Mechanics told me all sorts, i eventually bought it and that car served me for 5 straight years including trips from Ibadan to Lagos and back every weekend for a whole year during my NYSC. Bottom line bro, a car serves you the way you take care of it, please do not go with the manage manage syndrome. If you can afford to buy the car and maintain it, look for a well enlightened mechanic to work on your car. You will not regret it. "People fear what they dont understand and hate what they cant conquer" that's the impression your mechanic gives me.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by Alfoasegh: 7:27pm On Jun 28, 2012
cool
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by dangiwa09(m): 7:30pm On Jun 28, 2012
The 2010 and Newer are better and nicer in looks and handling. No mechanic issues etc.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by fearnot1(m): 7:46pm On Jun 28, 2012
“Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.”

Fear Not quote.

Kindly sit back and do more research concerning any car that you are buying before you allow someone to jeopardize
your sincere interest on a car. this link might be of help

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/pathfinder/2005/reliability.html

Regards

Fear Not
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by Milikiman: 8:26pm On Jun 28, 2012
vehicle maintenance-fuel,spareparts all depends on da owner pocket.generaly older vehicle are more rugged.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by bombwar(m): 9:02pm On Jun 28, 2012
KUNLEXCOOL: Fellow Nairalanders, please I need your urgent views on this subject. What exactly is wrong with the 3.5ltrs engine in 01-04 models of Nissan Pathfinder? I want to purchase this SUV, but my auto technician (mechanic) feels to the contrary. He rather suggested older models (1998-2000). The reasons given are as follows:

1. That the 01-04 engine is made of aluminium and thus, are frequent with over-heating problems
2. The 01-04 engine uses a timing chain instead of belt, which according to him, is a disadvantage

According to him, the 3.3ltrs engine in the older models are more rugged and easier to maintain!

I will appreciate if EXPERTS in the house can make their comment on THIS!!! Inspired_m, Siena, Fhemmmy, Viperman Please help out before I make a wrong choice.
d only tin wrong is u going for it
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by calculusx(m): 9:22pm On Jun 28, 2012
KUNLEXCOOL: Fellow Nairalanders, please I need your urgent views on this subject. What exactly is wrong with the 3.5ltrs engine in 01-04 models of Nissan Pathfinder? I want to purchase this SUV, but my auto technician (mechanic) feels to the contrary. He rather suggested older models (1998-2000). The reasons given are as follows:

@ OP, with all due respect, your mechanic needs an upgrade. Its like a mechanic advising you not to buy a V6 engine Car but i bet you if you drive V6, you will never want to drive any I4 engine.
Not all 2001 - 2004 Pathfinder comes with timing chain and i can assure you Nissan Pathfinder parts are not as expensive as your mechanic suggest. Nissan Pathfinder are not only durable, they are more rugged and can withstand our bad roads. I can also say i have sold more Nissan Pathfinder than any other dealer on NL grin with an average sale of 3 Pathfinders Monthly.
My advise is, don't buy any cheap Car as nothing good comes cheap as vinmol rightly said and also adhere strictly to the instruction manual. I'm presently on Vacation but will be back tomorrow. My adverts on NL speaks volume. In conclusion, [b]NOTHING [/b]is wrong 01- 04 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5ltr engine.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by Ballheaded: 9:58pm On Jun 28, 2012
What is the difference btw 02,03 and 04 Nissan pathfinder, i want to get one of them bt am a bit confused.
Please advice and suggest possible authentic dealer.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by chucky234(m): 12:40am On Jun 29, 2012
KUNLEXCOOL: Is it advisable to buy from cotonou? I intend buying by the end of July (dats wen d cash 'll b ready) and I do not see maself waiting for an extra 6-8weeks for the US/Canada pre-order thing.......in fact, i'm already driving the SUV in my dreams grin. My question is: wouldn't it be risky buying from cotonou?
The 2004 Pathfinder is a very good car and will give the needed satisfaction if you keep a healthy maintenance culture,as for the Cotonou issue cars coming from Cotonou are durable that's if you go there in person and make choice before its cleared from the port. A friend who live in Cotonou bought all his cars from Cotonou,the Benz C230 he bought in 2009 is still in excellent condition reading 54,000 milleage in its odometer. He has bought a 1999 model Pathfinder in 2006 as well as a Toyota Camry in 2005 all in Cotonou and they are still serving without any issues,if you are ready I can introduce you to him so you go to the port with to inspect the cars and make your choice. He can as well pay for the car with his money then reimburse him once the car gets here but make sure you pay custom duties at the Seme boarder.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by calculusx(m): 1:05am On Jun 29, 2012
Ballheaded: What is the difference btw 02,03 and 04 Nissan pathfinder, i want to get one of them bt am a bit confused.
Please advice and suggest possible authentic dealer.

I was working xtensively on the differences between 02,03 and 04 Pathfinder before I ran out of internet bundle. Can't type much with BlackBerry but here are few differences between them.

2001-2004 Nissan Pathfinder have the same body shape with differences in alloy wheels and roof rack. Some comes with chrome front grill while some deosn't. Some also comes with running boards while some doesn't irrespective of the drivetrain(RWD or 4WD).
All the differences in the xterior depends on the type of edition. 01-04 Pathfinder comes in Base,SE,LE and LE Platinum Edition. Base,SE and LE Editions are common on Nigerian Roads unlike the LE Platinum which is the most xpensive of all the editions. LE Platinum (2003/2004) Editions comes with leather seat and wood grain interior. They all have the same engine capacity of 3.5ltr.

Will send a comprehensive differences of the interior part later today.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by damiwiol: 9:08am On Jun 29, 2012
I have used my 2002 nissan pathfinder for three years now and i have never experienced any major problem with this jeep apart from servicing the engine and changing the shock absorbers. This car is very durable and reliable. Mine is always on the road and it has never dissapointed me. When i bought mine i changhed the radiator from single cell to four cell radiator at Ladipo - Brand new radiator costs about 18,000 naira. Since that time i have never had any reason to top the water in the radiator because it is always full. I will recommend this car anyday anytime. Good car indeed.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by tobolos(m): 3:18pm On Jun 29, 2012
Thanks all for the useful tips.Almost all the questions raised about Nissan Pafinder 2001-2004 model have been on my mind for weeks now.I have the intention of buying one of these models.Can someone pls avail me the price range of the 2001-2004 models.
Thanks
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by Ballheaded: 5:24pm On Jun 29, 2012
Thanks mate for the update, so where do i get a good grade say 02 0r 04 and whats the a ideal price. please attached pix if u gat any, i don wanna bother my sleep about going to cotonou, lagos will do.
Thanks again for the advice.

Ciao folks
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by yungboss(m): 10:09am On Sep 02, 2014
How is the 4wd system of this car... How is it compared to the '02 Highlander?
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by MMJ(m): 4:59pm On Apr 03, 2016
Interesting topic here.

Can one have an update? Current price of 03 and availability
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by SmartchoicesNG: 10:21am On Jul 10, 2017
damiwiol:
I have used my 2002 nissan pathfinder for three years now and i have never experienced any major problem with this jeep apart from servicing the engine and changing the shock absorbers. This car is very durable and reliable. Mine is always on the road and it has never dissapointed me. When i bought mine i changhed the radiator from single cell to four cell radiator at Ladipo - Brand new radiator costs about 18,000 naira. Since that time i have never had any reason to top the water in the radiator because it is always full. I will recommend this car anyday anytime. Good car indeed.
How is your SUV now? Would you still recommend it? What do I need to know on buying it?
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by Diporlivo(f): 12:37am On Jul 11, 2017
stop spewing nonsense. Pathy of the 2001-2004 overheats, reason why despite being 3.5 the maual is limited to towing 3500 pounds as against the 3.3 which tows 5000pounds. both tow 5000 pounds in auto. reason overheating of the aluminium engine.

femionasan:
1. Overheating- The issue with aluminium engines and them overheating is not a tenable excuse as far as i am concerned. I use a Nissan Maxima and when i had overheating issues it was due to the rusty water pump, i got it replaced and ever since i have been enjoying my car. You just have to be careful and always monitor your engine temperature.

2. Timing chain Vs Timing Belt- I think i read it somewhere on this forum that cars with timing chains give certain signs which require that it be replaced as opposed to belts which snap without any sign, especially in Nigeria where you might not get a good timing belt. I guess that should tell you which is better.

3. Maintenance/Replacement - If your car is well maintained and with a good history from a previous buyer, what makes you think you will need to change the engine for the span of time you will use the car?

As far as i am concerned your mechanic is not up to date with such vehicles and he doesnt know how to diagnose them. Reminds me of when i wanted to buy a 1990 mitsubish galant some years ago. Mechanics told me all sorts, i eventually bought it and that car served me for 5 straight years including trips from Ibadan to Lagos and back every weekend for a whole year during my NYSC. Bottom line bro, a car serves you the way you take care of it, please do not go with the manage manage syndrome. If you can afford to buy the car and maintain it, look for a well enlightened mechanic to work on your car. You will not regret it. "People fear what they dont understand and hate what they cant conquer" that's the impression your mechanic gives me.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by Kufie(m): 4:16am On Jul 11, 2017
yungboss:
How is the 4wd system of this car... How is it compared to the '02 Highlander?

Different classes. The pathfinder is a traditional 4WD vehicle while the Highlander is an AWD vehicle. Can't be compared
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by SmartchoicesNG: 5:42am On Jul 11, 2017
Kufie:

Different classes. The pathfinder is a traditional 4WD vehicle while the Highlander is a unibody AWD vehicle. Can't be compared
The R50 pathies are unibodies.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With 2001 - 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Models by Kufie(m): 8:22am On Jul 11, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

The R50 pathies are unibodies.

Oh you're right.

(1) (Reply)

Flying Cars Are Now Imminent As Researchers Finally Hit A Major Breakthrough / Why Is Nissan Murano Becoming Cheap? / Lamborghini Owner Breaks Huracan's Windscreen While Showing Off His Supercar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.