Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,892 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:05 AM

Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. (8548 Views)

So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct? / Where Are Nigerians In Australia . / Life In Various Foreign Countries: From My Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Wasbayd: 12:04am On Jun 24, 2012
I need members to share their experiences and opinion about our Nigeria's bad eggs abroad, they are causing us harm and disgrace, and we suffer from the bad image they paste us. Nigeria is a great country with great name and recognition, but these bad ones make us also majorly stand for anything tagged "BAD" in foreign countries.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by tpia5: 12:10am On Jun 24, 2012
nigerians are the ones doing themselves most times.

they place far too little value on their own selves, and far too much value on others who dont value them.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Wasbayd: 3:18am On Jun 24, 2012
tpia@:
nigerians are the ones doing themselves most times.

they place far too little value on their own selves, and far too much value on others who dont value them.

That's a good point, but is there anything that can be done from home to minimum the effect of this bad doings abroad?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Wasbayd: 3:24am On Jun 24, 2012
Our name will keep going messy until we find something to do with this problem, let's work hard correct this wrong.

Or has the problem got too complex to solve?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Wasbayd: 8:11am On Jun 24, 2012
Wasbayd: Our name will keep going messy until we find something to do with this problem, let's work hard to correct this wrong.

Or has the problem got too complex to solve?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Greatriade: 11:22am On Jun 24, 2012
Only God can help us
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by justwise(m): 12:15pm On Jun 24, 2012
@paris10

Don't start your tribal war here, hence the reason why your post is hidden.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Wasbayd: 12:52pm On Jun 24, 2012
justwise: @paris10

Don't start your tribal war here, hence the reason why your post is hidden.

I sugest you need to change the way you react to people's expressions. I couldn't understand what you mean by "Tribal war" as my topic has nothing to do with that, or should I assume you dont understand the topic I posted.

I have visited several countries and I dont need to start listing out ugly stories to convience you there are some bad nigerians outside home inflicting us with virus we frequent travellers suffer from.

I am neither a politician nor a government critic, but I believe the sole reason the owner of this web forum put it in place is to ensure people from around the world come here and share objectives, experiences, ideas, among others useful to build our beloved nation Nigeria and change the for better our name at the global level.

So hiding my tread to me is nothing but an unreasonable action against the truth that is meant to restore our lost glory.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by justwise(m): 1:27pm On Jun 24, 2012
Wasbayd:

I sugest you need to change the way you react to people's expressions. I couldn't understand what you mean by "Tribal war" as my topic has nothing to do with that, or should I assume you dont understand the topic I posted.

I have visited several countries and I dont need to start listing out ugly stories to convience you there are some bad nigerians outside home inflicting us with virus we frequent travellers suffer from.

I am neither a politician nor a government critic, but I believe the sole reason the owner of this web forum put it in place is to ensure people from around the world come here and share objectives, experiences, ideas, among others useful to build our beloved nation Nigeria and change the for better our name at the global level.

So hiding my tread to me is nothing but an unreasonable action against the truth that is meant to restore our lost glory.

So you are paris10?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Wasbayd: 4:12pm On Jun 24, 2012
justwise:

So you are paris10?

My apology, I thought the whole tread would henceforth be hidden once its abused. But I believe you would have known I am not so conversant with how the treading system works.

I will like to briefly share a story, there was an incident that occured when I was sailing on a foreign going vessel.

3 guys (we call them stowaway) sneeked in onboard through the help of one of the crew with the aim to exit at the 1st European Port of call.

Unfortunately for them, the Chief Engineer, who's a dutchman caught one of them and that disclosed where in the engine room the other two guys were hiding.

Normally stowaways must be handed over to the police at the nearest port of call for the sake of insurance security but many lucky ones have become seafarers through this illegal move as caught stowaways always beg captains for mercy and considerations.

So interogating these guys, two of them are nigerians with 1st degree certs, one of which has even worked on a fishing trawler before, meaning those 2 nigerians stood a good chance to be considered for Rating (unskilled seaman) positions. The third of them is from Ghana, he got no cert with him and has never been onboard ship before, the only thing he claimed he can do that relates to maritime is swiming, but the captain chose to retain the ghanaian while he handed the two nigerians over to "the marine" at the next port of call.

The last I heard this Ghanaian is now sailing as an officer in holand. Majority of the crew of the vessel i sailed on are philipino and they got much lots of bad sides too but yet they enjoys far better recognitions and are much more valued than those of us that are nigerians.

Let me add this, if you see any nigerian seafarer on a foreign going vessle that enjoys good treatment just ask him, he will tell you his vessel often sail down to nigeria for loading or off loading, so the captain and the host of the rest top white officers will always make use of him to ease their stress in many ways while on nigeria water or port.

They dont just woke up and started maltreating nigerians, it's as a result of the injuries they have suffered in the hands of these bad nigerians.

As for me I'm proud to be a Nigerian, even though it sucks when you step out of homeland.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by justwise(m): 4:23pm On Jun 24, 2012
[b]
Wasbayd:

My apology, I thought the whole tread would henceforth be hidden once its abused. But I believe you would have known I am not so conversant with how the treading system works.

I will like to briefly share a story, there was an incident that occured when I was sailing on a foreign going vessel.

3 guys (we call them stowaway) sneeked in onboard through the help of one of the crew with the aim to exit at the 1st European Port of call.

Unfortunately for them, the Chief Engineer, who's a dutchman caught one of them and that disclosed where in the engine room the other two guys were hiding.

Normally stowaways must be handed over to the police at the nearest port of call for the sake of insurance security but many lucky ones have become seafarers through this illegal move as caught stowaways always beg captains for mercy and considerations.

So interogating these guys, two of them are nigerians with 1st degree certs, one of which has even worked on a fishing trawler before, meaning those 2 nigerians stood a good chance to be considered for Rating (unskilled seaman) positions. The third of them is from Ghana, he got no cert with him and has never been onboard ship before, the only thing he claimed he can do that relates to maritime is swiming, but the captain chose to retain the ghanaian while he handed the two nigerians over to "the marine" at the next port of call.

The last I heard this Ghanaian is now sailing as an officer in holand. Majority of the crew of the vessel i sailed on are philipino and they got much lots of bad sides too but yet they enjoys far better recognitions and are much more valued than those of us that are nigerians.

Let me add this, if you see any nigerian seafarer on a foreign going vessle that enjoys good treatment just ask him, he will tell you his vessel often sail down to nigeria for loading or off loading, so the captain and the host of the rest top white officers will always make use of him to ease their stress in many ways while on nigeria water or port.

They dont just woke up and started maltreating nigerians, it's as a result of the injuries they have suffered in the hands of these bad nigerians.

As for me I'm proud to be a Nigerian, even though it sucks when you step out of homeland.
[/b]

Absolutely rubbish, who are you trying to distract?

Is Wasbayd [/b]the same person as [b]paris10?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Wasbayd: 7:05pm On Jun 24, 2012
justwise: [/b]

Absolutely rubbish, who are you trying to distract?

Is [b]Wasbayd [/b]the same person as [b]paris10?

Run a check and see when I joined the forum, and please dont insult me cos I apologised for mistaking a single post for my tread, I'm a mature man and I hate exchanging abusive words, if you are perfect here I'm sorry I'm not, I'm still new to managing tread and I made myself clear that I thought you have hidden my whole tread, didn't know it's for the @paris10, whose post are not visible to me.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by tpia5: 3:17pm On Jun 25, 2012
I dont think the op is paris 10.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by tpia5: 4:03pm On Jun 25, 2012
will like to briefly share a story, there was an incident that occured when I was sailing on a foreign going vessel.

i'm not surprised by this story at all.

in a situation where you have ghanaians and less than two nigerians [or where nigerians are a minority], what happens is the nigerian will get thrown out on his ear while/when/after the ghanaians team up together and manipulate/suck up to/deploy the whites or non-nigerians, to give them [nigerians] a hard time.

anybody who didnt know this before, had better know it now.

the problem with nigerians is our culture is very accomodating and welcoming to strangers- we are raised to play good hosts to people who are different from us, and to not discriminate.

so, when we go outside nigeria, this attitude follows us and when we meet other africans [say ghanaians for example], we think "oh hello, friend" whereas the ghanaian/other african is thinking "you bloody nigerian".

i think it has to do with the cultural mindsets of each tribe or nationality in africa.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Wasbayd: 4:12pm On Jun 25, 2012
tpia@:
I dont think the op is paris 10.

I will even like to see what this paris10 posted, that's if possible cos I still believe the "Tribal War" @justwise used must have been for a very bad post, to which I will suggest such poster should be realy warned.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by tpia5: 4:18pm On Jun 25, 2012
^^i wouldnt worry about it.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Wasbayd: 9:34pm On Jun 25, 2012
tpia@:
^^i wouldnt worry about it.

Thanks
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Greatriade: 3:42am On Jun 26, 2012
tpia@:

i'm not surprised by this story at all.

in a situation where you have ghanaians and less than two nigerians [or where nigerians are a minority], what happens is the nigerian will get thrown out on his ear while/when/after the ghanaians team up together and manipulate/suck up to/deploy the whites or non-nigerians, to give them [nigerians] a hard time.

anybody who didnt know this before, had better know it now.

the problem with nigerians is our culture is very accomodating and welcoming to strangers- we are raised to play good hosts to people who are different from us, and to not discriminate.

so, when we go outside nigeria, this attitude follows us and when we meet other africans [say ghanaians for example], we think "oh hello, friend" whereas the ghanaian/other african is thinking "you bloody nigerian".

i think it has to do with the cultural mindsets of each tribe or nationality in africa.

dats a true talk
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jun 28, 2012
Hahaha! Justwise is giving this guy a whooping. grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by ddandan: 5:31pm On Jun 28, 2012
Charity begins at home.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jun 28, 2012
Am sorry to say that Nigerians hate themselves more than they are hated worldwide. Bad(ness) of Nigerians is self-inflicted.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by ziccoit: 5:32pm On Jun 28, 2012
Because you are bad. Ask yourself how many Good vs Bad you have done today?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by ANTITRIBALISM(m): 5:33pm On Jun 28, 2012
Charity Begins At Home.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Clemzy16(m): 5:35pm On Jun 28, 2012
Wasbayd: I need members to share their experiences and opinion about our Nigeria's bad eggs abroad, they are causing us harm and disgrace, and we suffer from the bad image they paste us. Nigeria is a great country with great name and recognition, but these bad ones make us also majorly stand for anything tagged "BAD" in foreign countries.
Not just abroad alone, majority of them are in the country. Me exclusive.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jun 28, 2012
Now lemme answer the question in the best way possible.

The truth is that many nigerians who find themselves abroad are hardworking but a few bad eggs who want to make some fast cash are the ones who go into criminal activities. The press, knowing that Nigeria is a country that attracts attention, then goes into a media frenzy and publishes the story. By doing that, Nigerians are now bunched into a group of people that are criminally minded. Nobody talks about the Mexicans, Colombians, and Piston Ricans who are the main drug barons. Nigerians who are just the drug mules take all the blame in the case of drug trade. Nobody even talks about the final consumers who keeps the trade blooming: The Rich Whites. Nigerians take the whole blame.

Also, Nigerians like to show themselves when they are abroad. The talk loudest, dress nice and attract a lot of attention to themselves. This is also a reason we are often picked on and exposed as criminals even when a misdemeanor is committed.

My 2pence

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by gator666: 5:36pm On Jun 28, 2012
A society that praises the rich without questioning the sources of their wealth (i.e. 419, corruption etc), is not a healthy one. A society where the only thing that matters is to get rich, and not how (to do so) is not a healthy one.

I am pretty sure that the greatest majority of Nigerians are hard working and god fearing (and not god fearing just during Sunday morning service or Friday prayers, depending on the religion). However, when a minor minority commits all sorts of nasty stuff, whether at home or abroad, and the majority keeps quiet, that majority should not complain when it gets labelled as bad.

Btw, I work with a large group of Nigerians and they are quite nice people.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by Ortis: 5:37pm On Jun 28, 2012
If nigeria is bad....then zimbabwe,eritrea,somalia,ethopia,iran,iraq,egypt,mexico,liberia,yeman,syria suld b tagged badest or worstest or even mbadam mba.......we ar truely bad bt 2 b frank we ar most corrupt bt we suld blame our sorry blank ass 4 dat
Re: Why Are Nigerians Tagged "Bad" In Most Foreign Countries. by SpiritofOkija(m): 5:39pm On Jun 28, 2012
Cos we are bad...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boeing Set To Deliver First 737 Max Since Plane's Grounding / What Do I Say My Nationality Is? / Amazing Pictures From Bolivia : Where Earth Meets The Sky

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.